PDA

View Full Version : New Grips

Questions
11-05-2013, 09:01 PM
I have purchased a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips which I have used on my last three motor cycles but need some help with the heated grips installed has anyone removed the heated grips and could give me some pointers I am thinking to remove the fuse as I do not want heated grips any advice would be appreciated
Thank You

finless
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
If you got the right version of these grips you can install them over the heated grips and they still work!
Lemont has a video for how to trim the rib off the end of the stock heated grips and then installing the Kuryakyn ISO grips on top of the heated grips.

Bob

finless
11-05-2013, 09:16 PM
OK I found Lamont's thread. It's not a video but gives a full explanation.

Here you go:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?25394-Kuryakyn-Grips-on-the-RT-(with-heat)&highlight=Kuryakyn

Bob

Questions
11-05-2013, 11:37 PM
If you got the right version of these grips you can install them over the heated grips and they still work!
Lemont has a video for how to trim the rib off the end of the stock heated grips and then installing the Kuryakyn ISO grips on top of the heated grips.

Bob

I have purchased the standard ISO grips and need advice on removing the heated component

finless
11-05-2013, 11:40 PM
I have purchased the standard ISO grips and need advice on removing the heated component

Why not return them and get the grips that fit on the heated grips?
Then you have it all without doing major surgery to remove the heated grips.

Bob

Questions
11-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Why not return them and get the grips that fit on the heated grips?
Then you have it all without doing major surgery to remove the heated grips.

Bob

Price of postage from and to Australia is quite substantial and I would imagine the size of the Kuryakyn grip on top of the standard grip would be quite a handful

finless
11-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Understand. But while you could take apart your handlebars and unplug the heated grips, you still have the problem of getting the Kuryakyn grips to fit. If you remove the rubber part of the stock grips, you might find the Kuryakyn now will not fit as well (too loose).

So I am not sure what to tell you and how to solve that. I think you might be going down a dead end.... Sorry.

Bob

jcthorne
11-06-2013, 08:33 AM
If you really must try and install the wrong grips for the bike, go ahead and disassemble the grips. Remove the covers on the bottom of the handlebar, remove the 4 bolts from the clamp and the whole control module comes loose. The connector for the heated grips is down inside the bike under the console. If you want to remove them without cutting the wire, will require major disassembly to get the connector through. Really suggest getting the right grips for the bike.

Questions
11-07-2013, 09:10 PM
If you really must try and install the wrong grips for the bike, go ahead and disassemble the grips. Remove the covers on the bottom of the handlebar, remove the 4 bolts from the clamp and the whole control module comes loose. The connector for the heated grips is down inside the bike under the console. If you want to remove them without cutting the wire, will require major disassembly to get the connector through. Really suggest getting the right grips for the bike.

When I changed my first pair of grips in 1954 I ordered grips that were the size of the handlebars and I have followed this practice until now and never a problem the handlebars on the Spyder are 7/8ths so guess what size I ordered my problem is they have an additional fitting which is a heating element I saw the thread in which some people decided that they would take an oversize grip and make it fit which was what they wanted to do as it retains the advantage of having a heated grip in a cold climate exactly what I would have done in similar circumstances but where I live heated grips are about as useful as an ash tray so I thought I would ask if anyone has removed them before at the time I thought it was highly unlikely and this has proved to be the case

finless
11-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Understand. You made an assumption and unfortunately this bike is not like many others and the assumption got complicated.

All I can say is next time before buying, do some research and see what works.

Sorry to not help more but when it comes to the Spyder, it's not a standard bike and simple things that work on many other bikes, may not work on the Spyder.

Bob