PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat

Don in E Texas
11-05-2013, 08:20 PM
It has been suggested in various posts that an improperly installed thermostat can cause heating issues. I'm no mechanic, so don't know. Maybe someone on the Spyder assembly line installed them wrong - while another person installed them properly hence the vast differences there are between various 2013 RT's. Just wondering. Wouldn't that be great if it all boiled (pun) down to such a simple fix!!

Don

Magdave
11-05-2013, 08:29 PM
It has been suggested in various posts that an improperly installed thermostat can cause heating issues. I'm no mechanic, so don't know. Maybe someone on the Spyder assembly line installed them wrong - while another person installed them properly hence the vast differences there are between various 2013 RT's. Just wondering. Wouldn't that be great if it all boiled (pun) down to such a simple fix!!

Don
I am guessing BRP has checked this out not to say this could not be a problem. They are meant to open in one direction. If installed backwards the pressure will prevent them from fully opening if at all. They put PCV valves in backwards on the press tour featured in Rider magazine look at the last sentence in paragraph 4 and caused them to stall.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2014-can-am-spyder-rt-first-ride-review.htm/

Anything is possible and it would be great if it were that simple but the bike WOULD overheat and quickly if installed backwards.Most are designed to prevent this from happening I have not seen the Spyder version to determine if it is even possible.

Chupaca
11-05-2013, 08:33 PM
would be nice if that were the problem...but I'm sure they have looked into it even though we don't know..!! Could be faulty or wrong thermostat as well.. :dontknow:

DrewNJ
11-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Highly doubt that's the problem. A backwards thermostat I don't even think is possible due to the design of the plastic housing. Also, this would eliminate just about all coolant flow through the radiator. So, you'd have an overheating, not just a hot motor and the radiator would be relatively cooler due to the limited coolant flow.

Now, AF1 makes a lower temp thermostat....but there have been some mixed reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcthorne
11-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Thermostat is NOT the problem. Bike coolant temp is not getting too hot. IE it is not boiling over. Its excess heat in the engine bay around the engine and a lack of ventilation to get it out. Has nothing to do with the coolant loop.

MarkLawson
11-06-2013, 08:43 AM
May be more likely than one would think. I seem to recall reading a review of the new 2014 RT & this was a problem discovered on some of the demo RTs supplied to the reviewers. They had to wait for the techs to correct the installation error.

CyncySpyder
11-06-2013, 08:50 AM
http://parts.spyder.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ.exe/convert?ilFN=E:\\EmpartWeb\\data\\1s\\06\Y1301\10Y 1301.tif&ilSC=20&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8