PDA

View Full Version : Olympia Toy Run

spyderman051
11-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Olympia Toy Run

Saturday, December 7, 2013
9:00 AM

Eagle Leather (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10222+South+Tacoma+Way%2C+Lakewood%2C+WA)

10222 South Tacoma Way, Lakewood, WA (map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10222+South+Tacoma+Way%2C+Lakewood%2C+WA)) 47.164516 -122.484409
Let's group up in front of the store....

It's time to brave the brisk December weather for the Annual Olympia Toy Run!
This is always a fun ride with lots of bikes of every kind, vendors and performers prior to the parade, and then a parade through Olympia with thousands of people lining the parade route showing their appreciation. It is pretty heart-warming to see all of the happy kids waving at us as we go by. The weather is usually chilly, but seeing the looks on the kids faces makes it all worthwhile!
We will meet at Eagle Leather in Lakewood with KSU at 9am, then make a stop at Hawks Prairie restaurant in Lacey to pick up any south enders with KSU at 9:30 or so. Then we head over to the staging area at South Sound Center where there are vendors and entertainment until it is time for the parade.
Remember to dress in layers as the temperatures are usually brisk coming to the event and after leaving. It is better to be overdressed and peel some layers off than not have enough and being cold.
Admission is an unwrapped toy or a donation of $10 single rider/$15 rider and passenger. Many people donate extra toys or money also. You donate the toys at the end of the parade, so if you can attach it to your bike, the kids can see it during the parade.
After the parade is over, continue on south out of Marathon Park after dropping off your toys and we will regroup just past the first stop sign after passing under the freeway. I will be planning a back road loop back toward home.
Here is the route map.
http://goo.gl/maps/a4yVH

I will drive it to get a good feel for it. I may make a stop in Orting to visit the Bakery, grab a cup of coffee and top off my tank if it's needed. Most bikes should be able to make the entire route on a single tank as it's less than 100 miles but if it's needed we'll make a late fuel stop. Make sure that you top off at or near your meetup point.
For more information, click on the link below to visit the Toy Run website:

http://olytoyrun.com/

lwrydr
11-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Hope to see you there, I have a dinner I have to go to on Friday night in Seattle but I am planning on being here for the Toy Run. I should be near the front of the line as I think I will be riding with the Tenino Motorcycle Drill Team. See you there...

Heliplt
11-08-2013, 11:37 AM
We will be there, coming from the south, we will meet you inthe staging area.

wukka
11-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Steve -

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on Spyder representation at the Olympia Toy Run (the 36th!) this year. I can't make it this year, as my mother is having some surgery done and will need someone to help her during her recovery. But I will help to get the word out and encourage other Spyder enthusiasts to join in.

(Wukka) Joe

PatGund
11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Looking at doing this with my daughter.

Shel_TK
11-15-2013, 07:40 PM
We're conditional, depending on the weather. I'll ride in the cold, but not in the rain.

spyderman051
11-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Come on sugar cube you won't melt, THAT'S WHAT RAIN Gear is FOR It's for a good cause and fun as well. See you there?

We're conditional, depending on the weather. I'll ride in the cold, but not in the rain.

PatGund
11-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Looks like both me and my 12 year old are going to be doing this. Trying to see if we can mesh this in with some Girl Scout merit badge requirements.

Also, with the kind permission of some dear friends of mine, I'm going to be riding (and bringing an extra toy) in the memory of their daughter, who was murdered several months ago.

Shel_TK
11-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Come on sugar cube you won't melt, THAT'S WHAT RAIN Gear is FOR It's for a good cause and fun as well. See you there?

After my kitten peed on my riding pants, necessitating a wash, they aren't so waterproof anymore. Besides, after a decade in the Army, I decided that there are certain levels of miserable I just don't need to get near ever again, and cold and wet is one of 'em.

Besides which, Lauren only has two wheels, and they don't do so well in the rain as we do.

TokenTwoWheeler
12-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Well, we didn't make it.

Ice formed between my anti-fog shield on the visor. Since it was sandwiched between two pieces of plastic, and hard to get out, we had to pull the plug before we even got to I-5.

cpdblegl
12-08-2013, 10:53 PM
The first 'Toy Run' for me. Had a little trouble meeting up with Steve... but found my way to the 'staging area'. OMGoodness the amount of high-end custom bikes, leather, and toys were astonishing! Very fun & large group. Weather was perfect (as long as you were dressed for it). Bright Sunshine on December 7th! And riding through town was a kick with horn honking, waving, and a whole bunch of smiles! :thumbup:

TheSarge
12-09-2013, 02:34 AM
It was a great day, this was my 2nd Toy Run. Even thou I did not meet any of you at the Eagle Leather, it was great to see other Syders at the staging area, and one at Hawks Praire. Could not complain about the weather it turn out great for this event.

The first 'Toy Run' for me. Had a little trouble meeting up with Steve... but found my way to the 'staging area'. OMGoodness the amount of high-end custom bikes, leather, and toys were astonishing! Very fun & large group. Weather was perfect (as long as you were dressed for it). Bright Sunshine on December 7th! And riding through town was a kick with horn honking, waving, and a whole bunch of smiles! :thumbup:

spyderman051
12-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks to all who braved the weather and supported this event there were 9,000 bikes of all sorts there the free breakfast was good prior to the parade the event raised $200,000 for the tots in the area. there were 6 spyders at this event all had fun and were welcomed along with everyone else at the event and we all were questioned about our spyders even the announcer for the drill team event who is a t-90 member has gotten himself a spyder Yeah. Maybe we should get a spyder drill team together anyone interested?

lwrydr
12-09-2013, 10:35 AM
The Toy Run was great. As mentioned above lots of toys for the kids and just a little bit cold. I saw several spyders and only had a chance to talk to one. Maybe we should set sometime and place and meet again. Spyder drill team....now that would be interesting.

PatGund
12-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Ended up having to cancel out - both daughter and I were throwing up sick. :(