PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up heated gloves to Fuze Block

Topshotta
11-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Greetings Spyder Lovers

I am getting ready to hook up my heated gloves to my fuze block and wanted to verify somethings before I screw something up.

The manual/guide list the power requirements as: 24W 2Amps 12volts

The inline fuse attached to the wires for connecting straight to the battery has a 15AMP fuse. Do I need to change the fuse to something lower since the max I can use on any terminal on the fuze block is 10Amps and the gloves are listed as 2Amps in the manual?

thank u

Silvervette05
11-05-2013, 09:10 AM
I hooked up my heated gloves by hooking the Harley reostat (with fuse) directly to the battery, ran the wires under the seat to the left side of the
plastic under the handle bars. If you need I can send you a pic of it when I get home this afternoon

Doc - Riverside
11-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Greetings Spyder Lovers

I am getting ready to hook up my heated gloves to my fuze block and wanted to verify somethings before I screw something up.

The inline fuse attached to the wires for connecting straight to the battery has a 15AMP fuse. Do I need to change the fuse to something lower since the max I can use on any terminal on the fuze block is 10Amps and the gloves are listed as 2Amps in the manual?

thank u

Number 1. What fuse block are you using? The 15 amp fuse you mention is to limit the total amperage supplied to the fuse block to 15AMPS.
Number 2. How many accessory fuse locations are associated with your fuse block?
Number 3. If you have an open fuse location put the 2AMP fuse in it and run that output to your gloves.

wb4lrk
11-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Greetings Spyder Lovers

thank u If the glove manufacturer supplied the wiring and 15 AMP. fuse there may be a reason. Perhaps there is an "inrush" current when the gloves are first turned on. I don't know this for a fact as I know nothing about heated gloves. Inrush current is a current surge or spike that occurs when some things like electric motors are first turned on. You could try replacing the 15 AMP. fuse with a lower rated one and see what happens. The worst that could happen is the fuse will blow. If it blows try a high AMP. fuse. In any event I would not connect a circuit with a 15 AMP. fuse to a fuse block that is only rated at 10 AMPS.

NancysToy
11-05-2013, 11:50 AM
The 15 amp fuse feeds the entire fuse block. Put the appropriate sized fuse in the slot assocaited with the output you connect to. In other words, leave the 15 there and put a 2 amp (or whatever the glove manufacturer recommends) in the slot that feeds the gloves.

Topshotta
11-05-2013, 01:17 PM
The 15 amp fuse feeds the entire fuse block. Put the appropriate sized fuse in the slot assocaited with the output you connect to. In other words, leave the 15 there and put a 2 amp (or whatever the glove manufacturer recommends) in the slot that feeds the gloves.

Scotty,

The 15 amp fuse was on the end of the connection wire. (the 15 amp is an inline fuse that was set up for connecting the gloves directly to the battery). I was looking to connect it to one of the open slots on my fuse block rather than the battery.

NancysToy
11-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Scotty,

The 15 amp fuse was on the end of the connection wire. (the 15 amp is an inline fuse that was set up for connecting the gloves directly to the battery). I was looking to connect it to one of the open slots on my fuse block rather than the battery.

If the 15 amp fuse is in the coax harness for the gloves, it is too large. You can use it when connected through a 2 amp fuse in the fuseblock (i.e. "downstream"), but it would be better to replace that with a 2 amp fuse, too.

Topshotta
11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
If the 15 amp fuse is in the coax harness for the gloves, it is too large. You can use it when connected through a 2 amp fuse in the fuseblock (i.e. "downstream"), but it would be better to replace that with a 2 amp fuse, too.

Yes, the 15 amp fuse came with the coax harness. I will go with a plain coax harness and connect it to the my fuze block since the gloves only draw 2 amps.

thanks

NancysToy
11-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Yes, the 15 amp fuse came with the coax harness. I will go with a plain coax harness and connect it to the my fuze block since the gloves only draw 2 amps.

thanks
It doesn't matter what they draw, as far as the harness is concerned. The plain harness will be protected by the fuse in the fuse block. That's how it is intended to be used. It can handle up to 15 amps.

Topshotta
11-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Since the manual states the gloves only draw 2 Amps, should I use exactly a 2 Amp fuse in the fuse box or should I use a 3 Amp?

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/neml_images/heated_gear/synergy_power_usage.pdf

Thank you

Gordo
11-06-2013, 04:07 PM
With the full load current of the gloves being 2amps, a 2amp fuse over time, will get hot and probably blow. Why not fuse it at 10amps. Fuses are sized for the load the wiring can handle not the actual load. If the actual load exceeds the wiring capacity you will then have a meltdown of the wiring. Which in your case can't happen. Hope this helps.

NancysToy
11-06-2013, 07:44 PM
The manual rating is the fuse they recommend. Normally, you would go up, but not in this case. Go with the 2 amp fuse. If you repeatedly blow them, move up to a 3 amp. JMHO

Topshotta
11-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Thank you all for your response. Got it connected with a 2 amp fuse on the fuze block and changed the inline fuse on the harness from 15 to 5 amps. All seems well so far.

lionking
11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
The gloves should come with a harness and a fuse on the harness.I called the manufacture and they said to hook the harness to the battery. They said in some cases you lose some power when going to the fuse box. :dontknow:

kbfk
11-07-2013, 09:35 PM
I cheated. I just installed a 12v cigarette lighter jack near my handle bars. In the winter I plug in not only my gloves but my heated jacket as well. Other times I used it drive other electronics.

RidersInChrist
12-29-2013, 09:58 PM
I cheated. I just installed a 12v cigarette lighter jack near my handle bars. In the winter I plug in not only my gloves but my heated jacket as well. Other times I used it drive other electronics.

I WAS THINKING ABOUT INSTALLING A 12V CIG.LIGHTER ON MY DASH ALSO BUT DIDNT KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I WOULD WIRE IT INTO.
THANKS
CHUCK

RidersInChrist
12-29-2013, 10:44 PM
CAN U GIVE ME THE LINK TO WEAR I CAN ORDER HEATED GLOVES PLEASE...US PEEPS IN THE COLD KENUCKY STATE WOULD LOVE WARM HANDS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.:helpsmilie:
THANKS'
CHUCK

Trickie Dick
12-30-2013, 08:52 PM
CAN U GIVE ME THE LINK TO WEAR I CAN ORDER HEATED GLOVES PLEASE...US PEEPS IN THE COLD KENUCKY STATE WOULD LOVE WARM HANDS EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.:helpsmilie:
THANKS'
CHUCK
Gerbings, Warm n Safe, Powerlet are just a few of the makers of heated gear for Motorcycle riders. BajaRon carries First Gear heated gear as well. You might want to consider a heated liner as well as the gloves or glove liners. The jacket liners have connectors in the sleeves for the gloves or glove liners. Lots of choices. There is a review of the players on Webbikeworld.com.
I have a heated liner and glove liners since my main jacket and gloves are waterproof. They really make a difference when the temps fall and particularly when it rains as well.

RidersInChrist
12-30-2013, 11:06 PM
I WAS THINKING ABOUT INSTALLING A 12V CIG.LIGHTER ON MY DASH ALSO BUT DIDNT KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I WOULD WIRE IT INTO.
THANKS
CHUCK

can someone let me know where I would wire a 12 volt lighter into if I installed it on my dash...I have a 2012 RT .I don't know much about electrical but I can if someone either shows me from a pic or tells me.
Thanks
Chuck

RidersInChrist
12-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Gerbings, Warm n Safe, Powerlet are just a few of the makers of heated gear for Motorcycle riders. BajaRon carries First Gear heated gear as well. You might want to consider a heated liner as well as the gloves or glove liners. The jacket liners have connectors in the sleeves for the gloves or glove liners. Lots of choices. There is a review of the players on Webbikeworld.com.
I have a heated liner and glove liners since my main jacket and gloves are waterproof. They really make a difference when the temps fall and particularly when it rains as well.

Thanks l will look tomorrow at those different websites to see what's out there.i have waterproof gloves but just wanting something warmer and waterproof.might even slip in a vest or jacket.lol..I love to ride and I hate for people to ask about going riding and knowing to to cold lol..
anyways thanks alot
Chuck

Flamewinger
12-30-2013, 11:14 PM
The instructions that came with my Gerbing's explains that depending on how many garments you're connecting to the controller, also depends on what size fuze you use.

I have a Gerber and gloves and liner with 15 amp fuse connected straight to the battery.

I got my Gerbing's equipment from Cyclegiant.com you can't beat their prices.

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1) - now Free