PDA

View Full Version : What's your preference?

Laila's Dad
11-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Hello all,

it's great to be alive on a day that ends in Y(if you are alive on any other days...never mind ). Most folks I know who ride a motorcycle/roadster enjoy "twisties" and the fun curves. This transcends age groups too. I've rode with guys in my age group, folks younger, and some older and in each group they want back roads and curves. I will be honest, I want the open road so I am totally fine with the freeway versus the back roads. I also don't desire the "twisties". I really want to cruise, now I may cruise at a fast speed sometimes, but I still want to be sitting up right for 99% of my riding if at all possible. Leaning and gripping with my knees are necessary skills for sure but ones I try not to use too often. I do like scenery so I am a fan of some rural areas but I have no desire to see any wild life while I am not in my truck. I don't mind taking a road I've never taken before for some adventure but with only about 120 miles before the need for gas is crucial with the spyder, I don't do much of that. I could go on, but I digress... With that said, what is your preference for the types of road you ride? Please see the pole.

PW2013STL
11-04-2013, 01:44 AM
I like all roads with light traffic, but twisty roads are what draw me the most be that with 4, 3, or 2 wheels. I like the challenge of them as well as the rush I get when taken at a higher than posted speed:thumbup:

TexasSpyder
11-04-2013, 05:57 AM
I just don't like the Interstates for riding, prefer just about anything else.

J. D.

srwilli
11-04-2013, 06:50 AM
I like to ride and see the area's scenery. Can't do that on the interstate. Twisties are OK, but again you are concentrating on the road, and tend to miss the scenery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
11-04-2013, 07:31 AM
This is one of those, "Bondes, Brunettes or Redheads" polls; right? :D
If I've got a set of handlebars in front of me, and the IPod is blasting something that's unfit for human ears... :2thumbs:

3 Wheel Addict
11-04-2013, 08:28 AM
I just don't like the Interstates for riding, prefer just about anything else.

J. D.
That's me as well I hate getting on the interstate and will avoid it at all costs. Lot's of guy's I ride with claim it's safer because nobody can pull out in front of you... wanna bet!!

Bob Denman
11-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Some of those Interstates can get you to te really FUN roads much quicker... :2thumbs:

pjweimer
11-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I drive fairly agressive and love the curves. When my wife is aboard I must drive a bit more tame or I will kick her vertigo into gear. We both like the country roads here in Ohio and we have just rolled over 13,000 miles mostly in the eastern part of the state on 2012 RT Limited. Looking forward to the arrival of the 2014's and will probably get a new RT Limited. Still riding. No thought of winterizing the bike yet.

BobnDee
11-04-2013, 08:52 AM
I started riding bikes in 1957, and still like the feel of a curved road! But now that I'm older and realize I'm mortal, the lean angle is taken with a lot more caution. That's why we like the stability of the :spyder2: on gently curving rural roads with lots of scenery. Looking forward to seeing and riding a 2014 RT :ohyea:

bikeguy
11-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Really, I guess I like them all, although there are times that I might prefer one over another. I love twisties but they can wear you out after a while and it's good to move on to some gentler curves. Scenic roads are great except when there is too much traffic on them like bluebonnet season in the Texas hill country. I never liked interstates at all until I got the Spyder. It's comfortable ride and, especially, very good cruise control make interstates a pleasure when you really want to cover some ground. If I have to choose, then it will be the twisties, they're just so much fun on 2 or 3 wheels.

Cotton

granpa in Cincy
11-04-2013, 10:42 AM
This is one of those, "Bondes, Brunettes or Redheads" polls; right? :D
If I've got a set of handlebars in front of me, and the IPod is blasting something that's unfit for human ears... :2thumbs:

Nahh. He's talking about the Poles, Swedes and Irish! :clap:

BajaRon
11-04-2013, 10:49 AM
I like all roads but I do not like all roads equally. It's hard to believe that most people do not have a preference.

Unless I have to go long distance or have to be somewhere at a certain time, I like twisty roads best. So given a choice, I'll take the twisties every time.

Chupaca
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
backroads for sure twisties galore but interstates are a needed evil. Do use them when time is limited and distance is an issue. But they will always lead me to the backroads...enjoy..!! :ohyea:

mindman
11-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I absolutely LOVE riding the twisties whether on two wheels or three, and I also like to enjoy the scenery. I generally pick the type of road(s) I will ride based on the type of trip I'm on.

CyncySpyder
11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64727&d=1363621948 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64726)

aka1004
11-04-2013, 11:31 AM
i tried to avoid interstates and travel on us and state highway.
i think for the most part, there are so many gas stations these days along the state and us highway, there aren't much possibilities of not finding a gas station before running out. i've traveled from california to Louisiana mostly on us and state highways and couldn't go 80 miles at most, before running into a gas station. i have google map and gas buddy app on my iPhone to guide me to next gas stations too but there are just so many towns you go thru on those highways i really didn't need them.
even in texas where it seems to be 100's of miles "nothingness", you run into small towns so often.

Michael211_2000
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
If I'm in a hurry to get to my destination, then straight roads with higher speed limits are a must... but riding just for relaxation, I MUCH prefer a curvy road with some intermittant straight segments. Curves make the drive much more enjoyable and interesting.

I do NOT like multi-lane highways at all though, there's just something about having an ~80 thousand pound 18-wheeler in the lane right next to my Spyder that totally freaks me out! Eeek! :yikes:

Guess I just prefer the road less travelled, generally speaking. :ani29:

- Michael

jerpinoy
11-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Like all roads with :spyder2: with me riding together.

BajaRon
11-04-2013, 12:44 PM
If I'm in a hurry to get to my destination, then straight roads with higher speed limits are a must... but riding just for relaxation, I MUCH prefer a curvy road with some intermittant straight segments. Curves make the drive much more enjoyable and interesting.

I do NOT like multi-lane highways at all though, there's just something about having an ~80 thousand pound 18-wheeler in the lane right next to my Spyder that totally freaks me out! Eeek! :yikes:

Guess I just prefer the road less travelled, generally speaking. :ani29:

- Michael

I know there are times when it is not possible. But if at all possible, never ride beside large trucks. If you have to do it, try to ride where you can see the truck driver in HIS (or her) side mirror.

Being on their left side is usually much safer than being on their right side.

MikeinGA
11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I like the back roads. More to see on the back roads and that's were the real America is at not on the super highways or the big interstates. But some times you must take them. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Tony
11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I prefer the twisties and at a high rate of speed (When ryding 1-up, that is). I like the challenge of ryding my Spyder under challenging conditions...and the greater the speed the better. During the week, I am the "Responsible Dad" and "Responsible Boyfriend" that obeys posted speed limits, is ultra cautious, and drives defensively...on the weekends, I like to grab a buddy (on either 2 wheels or 3) and hit the hills for some spirited rydes where there is little or no traffic.

greatrides
11-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Just did 555 in ohio and it is a great road. Lots of elevation change and tons of lefts and rights....back roads are the best!:thumbup:

Daisyjoe
11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
I like the back roads. More to see on the back roads and that's were the real America is at not on the super highways or the big interstates. But some times you must take them. That's IMHO.

Mike

Yeah, what he said.

ARtraveler
11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Back roads and twisties are my favorites. I am blessed with about a dozen of these roads all within 50 miles or less--but more than half of them within 20 miles or less. Add in changes in elevation, mountain vistas, hardly any traffic, and it does not get much better than that. I am going to go on one in a couple hours just to get another ryde in this season.

Come and join me sometime. You will not be disappointed. :thumbup:

The Knik River Road--about 15 miles from home.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47726&d=1339628592 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1990&attachmentid=47720)

Dudley
11-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Seems like where ever we go time is limited, so we travel interstate. I hate twisties and find that the "good old country roads" are an accident waiting for a place to happen...wild or loose animals, people coming off their property, unknown road conditions, road debris, etc. Country roads are not maintained like the major highways, so I avoid them as much as possible. Having ridden almost 50 years with this philosophy, I am inclined to not change.

Laila's Dad
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
I am kind of surprised that people who like all roads is pretty much neck and neck with folks who prefer the curvey roads. I figured twisting roads would run away with this pole.