PDA

View Full Version : How to install the Baja Ron Sway Bar on a 2010-12 RT

finless
11-03-2013, 01:40 PM
This is a little video I did on how to install the Baja Ron Sway Bar in a 2011 Spyder RT. 2010-12 is the same.

Sorry for the shaky video as the iPhone does not have optical jitter correction! It's the only camera I could use and get under the bike to film. But this video should explain all the steps to install the bar. Enjoy! I have to say, this was far easier than what I have read! Don't be afraid to do it. Just some simple tools is all that is needed.

Video is in 2 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqlTutXsIpQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV7gkRybNAE

Enjoy,
Bob

Barlock
11-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Thank you for your effort to film these videos and help those of us not mechanically inclined to overcome our doubts and start feeling more confident that we actually can do it ourselves. It does sound and looks quite doable. Thank you again. Great work!

nhoj
11-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Thank you, very useful.

BajaRon
11-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Great video! I know it will help a lot of people with this install.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Ryblueyez
11-03-2013, 04:44 PM
This is a very good video! The only thing I still find a little bit confusing is making sure that it is centered up or "even" on both heim joints. Are those still your stock heim joints?

finless
11-03-2013, 06:12 PM
This is a very good video! The only thing I still find a little bit confusing is making sure that it is centered up or "even" on both heim joints. Are those still your stock heim joints?

Yes those are stock. When Ron gets the metal ones ready I will probably order some.

Bob

Ryblueyez
11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Yes those are stock. When Ron gets the metal ones ready I will probably order some.

Bob

Are they installed the same way? Would that be double the work? Just curious...

finless
11-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Are they installed the same way? Would that be double the work? Just curious...

Two more bolts and nuts to replace the heim links. You can see them in the segment of part 2 video where I show the link gaps to the frame and aligning the bar left and right.

Bob

mrfats
11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Excellent video! Thanks Bob!

Chupaca
11-03-2013, 08:26 PM
how to video..this will help a lot of folks on the fence..thanks..!! :2thumbs:

Jeriatric
11-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Well done for a one handed install. :thumbup: :clap:

Bob, ever consider radio? You certainly have the voice for it. :doorag:

finless
11-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Bob, ever consider radio? You certainly have the voice for it. :doorag:

I have been told that before. At 54 I doubt I will be getting into radio. Would not even know where to start!

Bob

slyder
11-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Thank you Bob, video was great, helped me finalize my decision on self install.

Will order and install.

Thanks again!

From this :banghead: - to this :D

finless
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
FYI, anyone living near me that wants the bar installed, I will do it for you free. I can probably do it in 30 minutes now that I have done one. So just PM me and we can go from there for a meet up.

Bob

slyder
11-05-2013, 10:01 AM
When are you going to be in Galveston, TX? Free room & board with great views.

FYI, anyone living near me that wants the bar installed, I will do it for you free. I can probably do it in 30 minutes now that I have done one. So just PM me and we can go from there for a meet up.

Bob

BajaRon
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
The Pre-2013 RT install is really pretty easy. And the Pre-2013 RS/GS/RSS are even easier.

The 2013/14 isn't really hard. It's just that raising the front of the Spyder up about 18"~20" takes a bit of ingenuity. Once it's up, the rest is not difficult.

'Centering' the sway bar is understandably confusing to some. People naturally assume that centering has something to do with the center of the sway bar. I've even had some ask why I do not mark the center of the bar to help in this regard.

But 'Centering' has nothing to do with the center of the sway bar. Once we get beyond this assumption things go much easier.

I do not want to make this sound complicated or difficult, as it is very simple as long as you use the correct reference points for 'Centering'.

Below I have tried to depict what we are attempting to achieve with this 'Centering' process. The correct reference points are the distance from the outside of the Links to the inside of the link mounting bracket. This is the only reference and has nothing to do with where the sway bar is in relation to the center of the Spyder.

In a perfect world, the center of the Spyder and the centering of the sway bar would be one in the same. But experience has shown us that there are slight differences in location of each suspension component from Spyder to Spyder. This, coupled with the extremely tight space provided for the Sway Bar to work, means that equal clearance between the mounting brackets and links (as shown below) is most important, regardless of where this puts the sway bar in relationship to the center of the frame.

Remember, we are talking small distances of maybe 1/8" to 3/16" difference from Spyder to Spyder.

All of this becomes much more apparent when you do the install and you can see these component relationships for yourself.

The top picture is what you want to avoid. The bottom picture is a correct install with equal distance (whatever that may be) between the link and the bracket.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/SwayBarCentering_zps50446489.jpg

Ryblueyez
11-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Bob

When are you coming to Charlotte, NC? Lol

Ryblueyez
11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
The Pre-2013 RT install is really pretty easy. And the Pre-2013 RS/GS/RSS are even easier.

The 2013/14 isn't really hard. It's just that raising the front of the Spyder up about 18"~20" takes a bit of ingenuity. Once it's up, the rest is not difficult.

'Centering' the sway bar is understandably confusing to some. People naturally assume that centering has something to do with the center of the sway bar. I've even had some ask why I do not mark the center of the bar to help in this regard.

But 'Centering' has nothing to do with the center of the sway bar. Once we get beyond this assumption things go much easier.

I do not want to make this sound complicated or difficult, as it is very simple as long as you use the correct reference points for 'Centering'.

Below I have tried to depict what we are attempting to achieve with this 'Centering' process. The correct reference points are the distance from the outside of the Links to the inside of the link mounting bracket. This is the only reference and has nothing to do with where the sway bar is in relation to the center of the Spyder.

In a perfect world, the center of the Spyder and the centering of the sway bar would be one in the same. But experience has shown us that there are slight differences in location of each suspension component from Spyder to Spyder. This, coupled with the extremely tight space provided for the Sway Bar to work, means that equal clearance between the mounting brackets and links (as shown below) is most important, regardless of where this puts the sway bar in relationship to the center of the frame.

Remember, we are talking small distances of maybe 1/8" to 3/16" difference from Spyder to Spyder.

All of this becomes much more apparent when you do the install and you can see these component relationships for yourself.

The top picture is what you want to avoid. The bottom picture is a correct install with equal distance (whatever that may be) between the link and the bracket.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/SwayBarCentering_zps50446489.jpg

What exactly would cause this, Ron? Is there anything that you would suggest using as a spacer to center the sway bar?

finless
11-05-2013, 08:17 PM
It's real easy to center the bar as my video shows under the Spyder and the plastic links and the spacing to the frame (link mounting brackets on the frame). You do not need to make this rocket science! I "felt" the gaps and even eye balling it is fine as my video shows. The point of doing this is so the links to not hit the brackets and break or damage them. If your off on one side my a little (small enough you cannot eye ball) I don't think that is a big deal. Again it's super easy to just eye ball them to be the same. It's really obvious once you get under the bike and look.

Bob

finless
11-05-2013, 08:18 PM
When are you coming to Charlotte, NC? Lol

Actually I might be close to there early this year! I have a friend in Ashville NC :)

Bob

Ryblueyez
11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Actually I might be close to there early this year! I have a friend in Ashville NC :)

Bob

Early this year is over! LOL. It's November.... Just giving you a hard time.

finless
11-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Early this year is over! LOL. It's November.... Just giving you a hard time.

A crap.... OK early in 2014 :)

If you really want me to do it for you I am somewhat serious about doing it when I am out there. You might enjoy the ride to Ashville and my buddy has a list and all the tools needed.

Bob

Barlock
11-05-2013, 09:41 PM

While I like your picture, Ron (I really do!), the next post demonstrates that your drawing isn't sufficient without a picture of the actual thing and those gaps depicted on it:

What exactly would cause this, Ron? Is there anything that you would suggest using as a spacer to center the sway bar?

After watching the video, I think I understand what you meant, but it is obvious that your drawing doesn'r explain it to those of us who did not watch the video. So, the photo would definitely help.

BajaRon
11-05-2013, 09:55 PM

I am not sure how to answer your question except to guess that you're not grasping the concept here. It is extremely simple and you may be trying too hard. There isn't anything you can do or need to do other than get the spacing between the outside of the links to the inside of the mounting bracket equal.

It's real easy to center the bar as my video shows under the Spyder and the plastic links and the spacing to the frame (link mounting brackets on the frame). You do not need to make this rocket science! I "felt" the gaps and even eye balling it is fine as my video shows. The point of doing this is so the links to not hit the brackets and break or damage them. If your off on one side my a little (small enough you cannot eye ball) I don't think that is a big deal. Again it's super easy to just eye ball them to be the same. It's really obvious once you get under the bike and look.
Bob

Exactly! Once you get under your Spyder and look at the components it becomes very clear.

While I like your picture, Ron (I really do!), the next post demonstrates that your drawing isn't sufficient without a picture of the actual thing and those gaps depicted on it:

After watching the video, I think I understand what you meant, but it is obvious that your drawing doesn'r explain it to those of us who did not watch the video. So, the photo would definitely help.

Agreed, as the stick drawing was not designed to stand alone. Coupled with the video and looking at your own Spyder I am hoping it will clarify things somewhat.

I know I always risk making things seem more difficult than they are when I try to simplify them.... :banghead:

Barlock
11-05-2013, 10:05 PM
I am not sure how to answer your question except to guess that you're not grasping the concept here. It is extremely simple and you may be trying too hard. There isn't anything you can do or need to do other than get the spacing between the outside of the links to the inside of the mounting bracket equal.

That was exactly what I meant, but I did not want to be as straightforward as you were in your response. Now you can see that the actual picture of a link with a bar end attched to it and those spaces depicted would help IMHO.

finless
11-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Ron, feel free to snap a frame from my video for a picture of the area. If you do not know how to do that I would be glad to do it from my original high def footage (not the youtube converted footage).

Ah hell.... give me a little time and I will do it and post the pictures.
Maybe tomorrow AM.

Then feel free to use them to add to your instructions or whatever.... I am glad to help people.
The most important thing is I think just about ANYONE can do this themselves. Really it is not major surgery or rocket science!

Stay tuned.

Bob

BajaRon
11-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Ron, feel free to snap a frame from my video for a picture of the area. If you do not know how to do that I would be glad to do it from my original high def footage (not the youtube converted footage).

Ah hell.... give me a little time and I will do it and post the pictures.
Maybe tomorrow AM.

Then feel free to use them to add to your instructions or whatever.... I am glad to help people.
The most important thing is I think just about ANYONE can do this themselves. Really it is not major surgery or rocket science!

Stay tuned.

Bob

I did try that but none of the shots looked good enough to post. If you can get a good, clear, identifiable shot that would be great.

Ryblueyez
11-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Let me know when you are coming Finless

finless
11-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I did try that but none of the shots looked good enough to post. If you can get a good, clear, identifiable shot that would be great.

Here you go. Snapped from my video and full rez. Hope this helps people understand the gap from the heim link to the frame (Heim Link Mounting Bracket). I show both the left and right sides of the bike. You will see this exact view by laying on your back and looking straight up into the spyder front end.

The point is to center the sway bar so these gaps left and right are the same.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78765&d=1383778445

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78766&d=1383778453

Enjoy,
Bob

rick_w
11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
This is a little video I did on how to install the Baja Ron Sway Bar in a 2011 Spyder RT. 2010-12 is the same.

Sorry for the shaky video as the iPhone does not have optical jitter correction! It's the only camera I could use and get under the bike to film. But this video should explain all the steps to install the bar. Enjoy! I have to say, this was far easier than what I have read! Don't be afraid to do it. Just some simple tools is all that is needed.

Video is in 2 parts:

Enjoy,
Bob

Bob,
Great Video.
Since we started carrying the Sway Bars (http://store.valueaccessories.net/BajaRonSpyderSwayBarKits.aspx) we have had lots of people ask about a video.
It is a little intimidating for a lot of people and this will help a lot.
Thanks,
Rick
Value-Accessories (http://store.valueaccessories.net/index.aspx)

M&Ms_Spyder
11-11-2013, 08:26 PM
have access to a loading dock and a trailer? Baja Ron sway bar & heim links install on a 2013 RT-Limited install - ideal conditions...!!

:D

and I know there are folks out there who are or were as unnerved as me by the "spyder dance" when they first took their spyder for a ride over 55 mph, got in a semi backwash and/or thru some twisties... and heaven forbid if you experienced this for the first time with a passenger!!!

Let me be crystal clear here, the Baja Ron sway bar Should Be STANDARD issue on every Spyder leaving the factory. Make no mistake, Ron's sway bar transforms this machine in an immediate and dramatic way... I no longer have visions of my untimely demise if I have to make a steering correction mid-corner anymore. The handling dynamics of this machine went from a 3-stage(lean, suspension loads, then oversteers) characteristic, to now, it just goes the way you point it - immediately and precisely-one motion..... This will be the best $$$ you will ever spend on an accessory for your Spyder - make no mistake - just do it.

BajaRon
11-11-2013, 09:49 PM
have access to a loading dock and a trailer? Baja Ron sway bar & heim links install on a 2013 RT-Limited install - ideal conditions...!!

:D

and I know there are folks out there who are or were as unnerved as me by the "spyder dance" when they first took their spyder for a ride over 55 mph, got in a semi backwash and/or thru some twisties... and heaven forbid if you experienced this for the first time with a passenger!!!

Let me be crystal clear here, the Baja Ron sway bar Should Be STANDARD issue on every Spyder leaving the factory. Make no mistake, Ron's sway bar transforms this machine in an immediate and dramatic way... I no longer have visions of my untimely demise if I have to make a steering correction mid-corner anymore. The handling dynamics of this machine went from a 3-stage(lean, suspension loads, then oversteers) characteristic, to now, it just goes the way you point it - immediately and precisely-one motion..... This will be the best $$$ you will ever spend on an accessory for your Spyder - make no mistake - just do it.

Pretty ingenious!

I've seen people pull their Spyder over the basement access stairway in their garage, lift the front wheels on the forks of a pallet lift, run up the ramps to a flat bed trailer, and even suspended with straps using a cherry picker. But this is the first loading ramp install I'm aware of. :thumbup:

Glad you like the bar! :ohyea:

Nils888
01-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Bobs video's are great. I learned how to build a RC helicopter from his video's:clap:

finless
01-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Bobs video's are great. I learned how to build a RC helicopter from his video's:clap:

Glad to see someone into RC helis that is also into spyders!

Bob

Top End Unlimited
07-29-2014, 05:52 AM

Video is in 2 parts:

Enjoy,
Bob

I think you did a great job on the video and talking your way through it. My wife even commented that with your video, she could do it. Thanks

pitzerwm
11-19-2014, 12:21 AM
This thread is indeed very valuable. The hemi links apparently weren't replaced in this video. Makes sense to me to replace plastic with metal. Is this a 50/50 deal as to the value of replacing the links at the same time or more like 25/75, its smart but you can live without, or 75/25 "you are an idiot if you don't?

Thanks

finless
11-19-2014, 09:15 AM
This thread is indeed very valuable. The hemi links apparently weren't replaced in this video. Makes sense to me to replace plastic with metal. Is this a 50/50 deal as to the value of replacing the links at the same time or more like 25/75, its smart but you can live without, or 75/25 "you are an idiot if you don't?

Thanks

I have since added the metal links. They were not available from Ron yet when I did this video.

Bob

JerryB
11-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi bob,

Re: I have since added the metal links.

Was it an 'easy' job?

Just wanting a non-biased thought,

Jerry Baumchen

rick_w
11-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi bob,

Re: I have since added the metal links.

Was it an 'easy' job?

Just wanting a non-biased thought,

Jerry Baumchen

Very easy install.
Just drive up on some car ramps for easier access then replace the links.
Have seen people replace them in parking lots also.

You need two wrenches, to loosen up, then tighten the upper and lower bolt on each Link.
We have seen the stock links break and also cracked when removed. A good idea to change the links if adding the Bar.

finless
11-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Just like Rick said. Super easy. Took me all of about 15 minutes.
You will get the idea of how to replace them by watching part 2 of the Baja Ron sway bar install video. I show putting the stock links back on the new sway bar so this shows the aligning and bottom bolts. The top bolts you will see in my video. Those also have tpo be removed to put on the links.

Bob

JerryB
11-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Hi rick,

Re: Very easy install.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted some idea on the time-frame for reference.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Thanks to you too Bob AKA finless.

Professor
01-30-2015, 09:15 AM

Enjoy,
Bob

Do you know if there is a video on installation for a 2014 RT Ltd.? Would it be any different?

finless
02-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Yes it is different. The bar is in a channel on the 2013 and up. Thus to get it out you have to jack the front end much higher then ramps will.

Bob