PDA

View Full Version : And I hate EZ outs...

bruiser
11-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Some time ago someone did a series of threads on tools. Oh, that was me. Anyway, some one mentioned EZ outs. For those tool challenged, an EZ Out is a tool used to removed stuck bolts that the head has broken off of. Now EZ out is a misnomer. Maybe in the hands of a skilled machinist it earns it's name. But semi skilled or the backyard mechanic...

A fellow brought me a Wards Tiller to work on. Wanted it running ASAP. Most of you know except for the online catalog, Wards is defunct. Beside the point. It does have a B&S engine.

Back to the subject. This tiller, I found out, hasn't been run in 2 years. So first thing was to pour the raunchy gas/water/rust out of the fuel tank. Drop in some steel balls and shake the :cus: out of the tank to get out the rest of the rust. I purchased a kit for the carb, a new spark plug, points kit, and changed the oil. Which looked like it had never been changed. The muffler, or what was left needed to be changed. That's where the problem began. Naturally both bolts broke off :banghead:. Of course, that's a given on a machine that sat under a shelter for two years. So, being the semi skilled machinist that I am, I proceeded to remove the broken bolts. I've done this many times before. With mixed success. So I ground down the protruding ends to have a flat surface to work with. I center punched the bolt, and began to drill it out, working up in drill size increments. Selected the proper size EZ out and began to slowly turn the tool. POP!:yikes: Oh damn, that was just the bolt moving. Breath deep, slow heart rate. Working ever so slowly and gently, the first bolt reluctantly gives up it's death grip on the surrounding threads. Take a break. Now comes bolt #2. Same procedure. Same initial POP! Put more pressure on the tool. SNAP! :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus: :cus:.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:. There is no drill bit on planet earth that will drill through a broken EZ Out. The military is loosing out on making weapons from the same material. Nothing will penetrate it.

So Monday, I'll remove the engine from the tiller. Take it to a friend of mine who happens to be a master machinist, have him remove the offending piece of steel from the block. Of course I'll have to endure his scorn, jabs and jokes. But hey, he owes me a favor anyway.

So, Roger, want to trade?

bruiser
11-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Oh how I do try to stay away from crossed bears.

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Jim,
Been there, and done that too! I've even got the Tee-shirt! :opps:

bruiser
11-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Don't have the T shirt Bob. Not sure if I really want it. I probably should have sent him and his tiller on their way when he first showed up with it. But then I probably would loose my heat pump service man too. And the use of a bulldozer, backhoe, trackhoe...

Magdave
11-02-2013, 07:12 PM
I did drill out an easy out once. It took a titanium drill bit and lotsa PB Blaster and a torch. I DO NOT want to do it again.:thumbup:

Chupaca
11-02-2013, 07:40 PM
and don't want to go back...haven't found a good working ez out and there are a lot of them out there. Die grinder is the only way to make a spot to start drilling. Real pain...!! Feel for you...:yikes:

Spyder4Tess
11-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Well if you had a mill and some carbide end mills,those EZ outs will turn to dust!

Bob Denman
11-03-2013, 08:50 AM
When my "easy little projects" take a turn for the... "interesting" :shocked:; this is what I see! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gif

bruiser
11-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I hate when that happens. Ever go to the store and get everything you need for a project, just about finish and have to go back to the store :banghead:

Bob Denman
11-03-2013, 09:54 AM
:shocked: More times than even my WORST nightmares can cover... :shocked:
I've been pretty much limited by the Missus to attempting NOTHING more technical, than opening up jars for her...
Oh! and programming VCRS too! :D

mowin
11-03-2013, 11:38 AM
:shocked: More times than even my WORST nightmares can cover... :shocked:
I've been pretty much limited by the Missus to attempting NOTHING more technical, than opening up jars for her...
Oh! and programming VCRS too! :D

VCR? ..... What"s that???:roflblack:.

dabreitbach
11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I hate when that happens. Ever go to the store and get everything you need for a project, just about finish and have to go back to the store :banghead:

Just about EVERY friggen time.:banghead:

Bob Denman
11-03-2013, 11:48 AM
"VCR? ..... What"s that???http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif."

I quit buying technology after they came out... :D

Magdave
11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I quit buying technology after they came out... :D
Hmmm So you are saying your Spyder has less technology than a VCR? :shocked: :roflblack::roflblack:

HuckFin
11-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I know its to late now, but it sounded like you may have had part of the bolt sticking up from the surface, if so, you can weld a washer to what's left of the bolt, grind the weld smooth and weld a nut to the washer, if you follow what I'm saying.

Bob Denman
11-03-2013, 06:04 PM
"Hmmm So you are saying your Spyder has less technology than a VCR? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/shocked.gif http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gifhttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif"

:opps: Ummmm... Perhaps I WISH that it did! :D

Crisis
11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
The secret to EZ outs is patience. The patience is in the prep before you even use the EZ out. I broke a spark plug off on a boat engine. It was the hardest spark plug to gain access to of course. I needed a mirror to see it.

My mechanic friend instructed me:

Purchase KANO AeroKroil "the oil that creeps". Forget WD-40, a waste of time. I had to order it via the Internet. Patience.
Keep soaking the broken spark plug for 2 days. Patience.
Be sure the EZ out is installed strait. A lot of patience and becoming a contortionist working with a mirror.

Broken plug backed out like butter.

It's all about planning, preparation and a lot of patience.

Hope this helps.

Magdave
11-04-2013, 07:48 PM
The secret to EZ outs is patience. The patience is in the prep before you even use the EZ out. I broke a spark plug off on a boat engine. It was the hardest spark plug to gain access to of course. I needed a mirror to see it.

My mechanic friend instructed me:

Purchase KANO AeroKroil "the oil that creeps". Forget WD-40, a waste of time. I had to order it via the Internet. Patience.
Keep soaking the broken spark plug for 2 days. Patience.
Be sure the EZ out is installed strait. A lot of patience and becoming a contortionist working with a mirror.

Broken plug backed out like butter.

It's all about planning, preparation and a lot of patience.

Hope this helps.
Kroil and PB Blaster are both very good trick is to soak them at least over night to let them "soak in". Add a little torch heat if possible and soak again. Has always worked pretty well for me. Plan ahead:thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
While it's soaking in; does drinking a bottle of Rum count as lubrication for the loose nut behind the wrenches? :shocked:

DrewNJ
11-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Kroil and PB Blaster are both very good trick is to soak them at least over night to let them "soak in". Add a little torch heat if possible and soak again. Has always worked pretty well for me. Plan ahead:thumbup:

I do the same for stuck bolts.
I've gotten away from using ezouts because when they do break your in worse shape than when you started.
I'd rather grind/bevel flat the broken bolt and then use the drill press and drill/retap, go larger if possible. or even helicoil the hole.
However, as I get older, and hopefully wiser, I try to stay away from those "rusted bolt" nightmare pieces of equipment. Sometimes buying new is worth every penny....haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruiser
11-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Captain Morgans original Spiced Rum or Black Spiced Rum. Oh hell. any Capt. Morgan rum...

Cavman
11-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Back in the last century, we had a lawn mower that the bolts broke off that held the muffler on. I noticed that the hole where the exhaust came out into the muffler was threaded. Hummmm?
So I took a short piece of water pipe and screwed it into the hole. Then I was able to screw a muffler onto the end of the pipe. Worked great! Told my buddies it was a lawn mower with a header pipe. Sounded a bit meaner too.

Now the lawn mower's handle wouldn't fold down all of the way because the muffler was in the way. No big deal.

Magdave
11-04-2013, 11:09 PM
While it's soaking in; does drinking a bottle of Rum count as lubrication for the loose nut behind the wrenches? :shocked:

151 works REAL good for that.