PDA

View Full Version : Shock dimensions on ST

clueless
11-02-2013, 07:46 AM
So the rear shocks on the ST are the same as the previous years RS correct?

But the front shocks. How much shorter are they then the previous years RS? 1/2 inch?

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but wonder how you like the Works shocks on your 2010 front end?

clueless
11-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but wonder how you like the Works shocks on your 2010 front end?

I love the WP Shocks... you get the external reservoir, the dual springs which puts you almost at the top of the line specs for the Elkas but slightly less money.

also with the external reservoir they are installed the same directions as the OEM shocks.

I have ELKAs for the rear shock. WP doesnt have a good match vs money for the rear shocks.

I am working on a WP for the front ST shocks ... need to send them dimensions so they can spec one up.

SNOOPY
11-04-2013, 07:52 PM
I love the WP Shocks... you get the external reservoir, the dual springs which puts you almost at the top of the line specs for the Elkas but slightly less money.

also with the external reservoir they are installed the same directions as the OEM shocks.

I have ELKAs for the rear shock. WP doesnt have a good match vs money for the rear shocks.

I am working on a WP for the front ST shocks ... need to send them dimensions so they can spec one up.

I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up w/ for the ST. I think the Elkas are a little pricey and don't like that they never have a sale. :shocked:

john_thecapn
05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Hello all.. sorry to revive an old thread, but I am a new 2014 ST Ltd owner and am looking to change out the rear shock.
I am only 170lb, with gear, so it's a little too firm for my liking.
From what I have read, it is the same as the RS, so looking at new options these should be the same. Can someone confirm that for me?

Also, has anyone taken measurements of the stock rear shock from a '14 to make sure it's the same as a '13?
Or measurements in general? Overall length, center of eye-to-eye length, eye width (slot hole), diameter, etc.?

One more thing. Has anyone actually measured the spring-rate from a stock unit vs the aftermarket offerings? I have read that it's 360 lbs/in, but not 100% sure. I would assume that it would be metric, and that puts it at 6.5kg/mm (363lbs/in). An unusual rate IMO.

With all of this said, there are lots of other manufacturers that have shocks with very similar specs. Aprilia using Ohlins, being one. Nothing against Elka, but if I could make an Ohlins fit, i'd go that route instead.

Anyway, if anyone has any info to share, I would appreciate it.