PDA

View Full Version : Class Action Lawsuit

jonnysevel
11-01-2013, 11:07 AM
I think those of us with 2013 RT's might have grounds for a Class action lawsuit against BRP. The extreme drop in value of our investment solely due to an engineering problem with the product. Sounds like they are liable for damages.
Jonny

ivanlee
11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
I think those of us with 2013 RT's might have grounds for a Class action lawsuit against BRP. The extreme drop in value of our investment solely due to an engineering problem with the product. Sounds like they are liable for damages.
Jonny

i agree with you but it should go back to the 2008 and up, oil in air cleaner, heat issue,
gas smell, fires, :roflblack::roflblack:

cuznjohn
11-01-2013, 11:18 AM
please read my new tread http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60022-contact-info-for-our-heat-complaints

scott16119
11-01-2013, 12:05 PM
i agree with you but it should go back to the 2008 and up, oil in air cleaner, heat issue,
gas smell, fires, :roflblack::roflblack:

Wow.:(

Ivorspyder
11-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Jonny
:dontknow:I am curious to know why you think you might have grounds for a class action lawsuit against BRP whereas only one week ago you posted you had no heat issues and were completely happy with your 2013 RT.

ivor:spyder:

ARtraveler
11-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Jonny

On 10/24/13 you posted the following:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.png How many 2013 RT owners DON'T have a heat problem??
"I am curious...My 2013 RT doesn't seem to have the dreaded heat problem. How many others are out there. I am completely satisfied with my Spyder. "

Now you are suggesting a class action lawsuit? Kind of curious as to what gives here.

At this point, I do not believe there are enough litigants that would do this, or a lawyer who would be willing to take this on with a fee paid when won basis.

:bbq:

kyace2003
11-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Jonny

You are entitled to change your opinion however less than 8 days ago you were posting "I am curious...My 2013 RT doesn't seem to have the dreaded heat problem. How many others are out there. I am completely satisfied with my Spyder." and now you are throwing this out.

Although I have a little over 5K miles on my 2013 RT and have not had the challenges others have had this post raises my concerns that BRP may become defensive instead of pushing forward as others have indicated. I understand the silence of BRP can be unnerving and I do not speak for them whatsoever however I believe Lamonte when he states that BRP cares and that they are looking into it, if the solution was very easy I would have expected any number of the folks on this forum to have already been using it. I would bet that if they came on here and said "we are looking at options" a good number of folks would then begin asking what/when/where and I am assuming for a minute that is why they are being quiet, again this is my opinion however I do believe throwing words like "Class Action Lawsuit" out may hinder the process instead of speeding it up, again my opinion and I understand you may feel/think otherwise, isn't it a great country we live in that allows us to have independent opinions.

I do not understand where purchasing a new car/boat/bike/truck is considered an investment, again this is my opinion, in some form or fashion they are all money pits, there is always something that could be purchased to change the vehicle. No it isn't pleasing to me to think that the 29K vehicle I purchased in April may be worth 15 - 20K however I fail to understand how BRP is to blame for the loss in value. I do not recall the dealer ever telling me when I signed the paperwork that the bike would be worth something someday in the future nor did they say BRP guarantees it will be worth a particular amount. The only guarantee I received was the 2 years that any manufacturing defects would be fixed free of charge and because I believe things can go wrong, I added the +3 years. We could debate as to whether the riders comfort is a defect or not, however when things begin to melt underneath there is an issue that would be under the manufacturers responsibility and be considered a defect and I truly believe BRP is looking into it. Maybe I am naive around this and I am in for a rude awakening in the near future.

Mark

DrewNJ
11-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Wow, that's really sad. All lawsuits do is delay (sometimes permanently) any progress or any solutions, make attorneys money, and ultimately drive the costs for the consumer up considerably.
I'll pass....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuznjohn
11-01-2013, 03:18 PM
lawyers will take forever and their cut is more than we will ever get. read my post above and see who i wrote to and the contact of a canadian news consumer advocate and write to them and give brp bad press they will respond

Spy+
11-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi there, sorry for the issues in your spyder… I would sell it, cut my losses, avoid further aggravation and possible ulcers , and buy something pretty.

Best of luck, and I really hope all works out:thumbup:

Mets79ST2013
11-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi there, sorry for the issues in your spyder… I would sell it, cut my losses, avoid further aggravation and possible ulcers , and buy something pretty.

Sure sell it you are only losing money, that is not what needs to happen, BRP needs to fix the issues the 2013:f_spider: have, why should anybody lose $$$$ the last time I remember money is does not grow in trees...only people that are not having any issues or losing money can make a comment like that.

scott16119
11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Jonny

I think you should be very careful what you wish for. I don't personally know the gentleman who runs this forum. You are honestly going to rally your troops together on his forum and try to destroy what he is so passionate about? Grow up and show some respect, you'r going to push this till you ruin it for everyone.

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm sure some nice friendly law firm will take the case, just like this one (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/us/supreme-court-may-hear-novel-class-action-case.html?_r=0).
And in the meantime all effort for a fix is placed on hold by the BRP LegalEagles because they can't be seen as having a problem.

Bad Idea.

:agree: Lawyers are a bit like nuclear weapons; effective, but it's pretty hard to NOT mess up the landscape, once they've been deployed...
Keep them in your hip pocket for when ALL else fails...

ARtraveler
11-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Just thinking--mentioned by the OP--sueing for loss of value is probably not a valid point. No one guaranteed the :spyder2: would be worth X a year later.

How about all those people that bought Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Hummers a year or so before GM dumped them from their line. I don't see any of the above around here anymore.

NancysToy
11-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Lose your money to the marketplace or lose it to the lawyers...your choice. :D

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Funny post, i like it :roflblack:

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 06:53 PM

Exactly!

MouthPiece
11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Just thinking--mentioned by the OP--sueing for loss of value is probably not a valid point. No one guaranteed the :spyder2: would be worth X a year later.

How about all those people that bought Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Hummers a year or so before GM dumped them from their line. I don't see any of the above around here anymore.

Or even the Edsel.

​Chris

Magdave
11-01-2013, 07:59 PM
There is the rub. The lawyers WILL get most of what ever might get paid out and we might get $1.95 each. I have seen it happen way to many times. We are between a rock and a rock. Our best hope is BRP actually does fix these or gives those that want it a substantial discount on the 2014 that the frame was designed for in the first place. Maybe they could put the 2014 front end on our bikes?

OWISE1
11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
:agree: :popcorn:

OldCowboy
11-01-2013, 11:40 PM
For those who are interested, Power Commander (http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommanders.aspx?mk=1&mdl=91&yr=2013&pc=25-010&mk-n=Bombardier&mdl-n=CanAm%20Spyder%20RT/RTS/ST&pc-ver=PCV&add-mdlyrid=25-010&add-mdlyrid2=25-010&fullstr=25-010&prod-type=Powercommander%20V%20%28Fuel%20and%20Ignition %29) now has units available for 2013 Spyders.

Yelhelp
11-02-2013, 05:49 AM
WOW TOUGH BUNCH :clap::shemademe_smilie::agree:

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Maybe they could put the 2014 front end on our bikes?
Dave,
I'd like to hope that it could be done; but the new front end and plumbing was designed with the 1330 in mind. The Twins might pose too many problems with parts interference... :shocked: :gaah:

cuznjohn
11-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Dave,
I'd like to hope that it could be done; but the new front end and plumbing was designed with the 1330 in mind. The Twins might pose too many problems with parts interference... :shocked: :gaah:

they would have to re work the whole front end of our bikes and it would never be cost effective for them to do it. i wish i knew more about motors to try and come up with ideas. i really don't see how tuning will help

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 07:44 AM
John, I think that Dave is trying to address the issue of heat preception by the rider with this suggestion. Moving the radiators up front would take heat off the rider, but I'm not sure about the heat under the Bodywork... :dontknow:
DAVE; what's your logic?? ;)

Magdave
11-02-2013, 10:25 AM
John, I think that Dave is trying to address the issue of heat preception by the rider with this suggestion. Moving the radiators up front would take heat off the rider, but I'm not sure about the heat under the Bodywork... :dontknow:
DAVE; what's your logic?? ;)

You hit part of it. On the 2013 the new swoop is one piece no bottom plate so it injects heat into the engine cavity as well since it has no insulation and doing the block off can't be done not without butchering the plastic. Getting any source of heat farther away from the engine bay has to be a good thing. The swoop change was due to the new 2014 suspension in the front. I don't know about the oil cooler or air intake on the 14 vs 13 just thinking out loud. I know the frame could take it I saw unused bolt clips on it when it was naked I assume those were 2014 pre ready.:thumbup: It could be a pricey solution for BRP though.

ARtraveler
11-02-2013, 01:32 PM
What's going on here with moving radiators and other massive changes is something called balloon engineering.

Not all '13 RTs suffer from the the heat problem.
The fix is to make all '13 RTs like the ones that don't overheat.
There must be some production, design or dare I say value engineering difference.

IMO: You are right on the money here. BRP needs to find the WHY some units are fine, and why other units run hot as heck. Suspicious to me would be some part that was changed due to suppliers, specs, or containing defects part way through the year.

jonnysevel
11-02-2013, 02:25 PM
:dontknow:I am curious to know why you think you might have grounds for a class action lawsuit against BRP whereas only one week ago you posted you had no heat issues and were completely happy with your 2013 RT.

I have no issues with the bike but the value has plummeted because of all of the issues the 13's are having. Luckily I don't have an issue but I have been damaged financially

NancysToy
11-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I have no issues with the bike but the value has plummeted because of all of the issues the 13's are having. Luckily I don't have an issue but I have been damaged financially
In reality, anyone who has not actually sold or traded has not suffered any financial loss. It's like the stock market, it is only the potential or perceived value that has diminished. In the real world you lost your money when you paid for the Spyder...or the stock. :D

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 02:50 PM
That's true... but it doesn't actually make anybody feel any better... :shocked:

NancysToy
11-02-2013, 03:06 PM
That's true... but it doesn't actually make anybody feel any better... :shocked:

:agree: Just trying to set the record straight...in legal terms.

Magdave
11-02-2013, 03:10 PM
My house took a hit in 2008 so I guess I'll just sue Goldman Sachs for the difference.
:firstplace:

bullant12
11-02-2013, 04:44 PM

Too early to tell. We are not even certain if the '14s are going to be flawless. The '13s came out as the loudest bang and eventually took it's toll. The same with previous years. Cars and houses have the same problem. The only thing that can fix it is time.
If you go to a lawyer for a class action suit, they are either going to :roflblack: or just take the money. Scotty said it best: Lose your money to the marketplace or lose it to the lawyers.

Ivorspyder
11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
In reality, anyone who has not actually sold or traded has not suffered any financial loss. It's like the stock market, it is only the potential or perceived value that has diminished. In the real world you lost your money when you paid for the Spyder...or the stock. :D
:agree:That's exactly right Scotty.

poordom
11-02-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm sure some nice friendly law firm will take the case, just like this one (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/us/supreme-court-may-hear-novel-class-action-case.html?_r=0).
And in the meantime all effort for a fix is placed on hold by the BRP LegalEagles because they can't be seen as having a problem.

Bad Idea.

I wonder if a collective claim under small claims court couldn't be filed.

I guess this is all different in each state.

Here in Quebec, a small claim up to $ 5000.00 can be filed, and an attorney is not required, these amounts and rules may have changed since the last time.

Dom

poordom
11-02-2013, 06:04 PM

Actually the loss can only occur upon the sale of the trike, thus the difference between purchase price and actual sales price.

You can have an anticipated loss based on present selling price, but not actual until you sell it.

Dom

Wazoo
11-02-2013, 06:15 PM
I wont tell you how to fix bikes if y'all don't tell aggrieved buyers whether they have a legal claim. You go see a lawyer if you want to---its not your problem to put together the 20 people needed for a class action. If such a suit can be filed it is one of the few ways BRP could be compelled to take corrective action. Those of you waiting for BRP to create a fix without the government telling them they have to are quite simply delusional. For those who don't like lawyers or litigation, consider filing a complaint with the NTSB---they have the power to order a recall.

Flash Gordon
11-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I would like to see BRP come up with a way to allow a decent trade in value for those with 2013's wanting to trade in for a 2014. This would not be very expensive for them, and would give a lot of unhappy owners a way out of their problems.

Lamonster
11-02-2013, 06:48 PM
If you want to start a lawsuit you're going to have to drum up support on another site. Start a Facebook page if you want but it's not happening on SpyderLovers. This thread is closed.