PDA

View Full Version : Theives can now open pretty much any car

bscrive
11-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I was just looking at a segment on CBC here in Canada and they had an especially interesting story on the devices criminals use to get into your car. You can buy them on the web for about $5.

The video takes a little time to come up.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/ID/2415460131/

jerpinoy
11-01-2013, 10:49 AM
James Bond gadget? Now I can command my :spyder2:to start and drive out from the garage.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Do you think that they'll try it if there's a sidearm pointed at them? :shocked:

Chupaca
11-01-2013, 11:37 AM
when new safety features (anti theft) are installed there are those dedicated to get passed them. They always do so your best is a good replacement cost insurance policy...jmo.. Coming from a land where they will steal your door bell switch...:roflblack:

PrairieSpyder
11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I can't get to the video, just the CBC!

ARtraveler
11-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Oh Goody! Something else to worry about. :roflblack:

DJFaninTN
11-01-2013, 05:11 PM
http://blurbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Get-off-my-lawn.gif

DrewNJ
11-01-2013, 06:34 PM
The best car thieves drive tow trucks, they don't care about "anti-theft devices". They hook them quick and they are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruiser
11-01-2013, 07:34 PM
If they want it they'll get it.

Sport bikes are disappearing real quick around here.

Followme2DQ
11-02-2013, 09:14 AM
For my SRT-10, I have a couple of up loadable programs to limit and disable it. One is a Valet tune, that won't allow it to go over 1500 rpms in any gear. This is perfect if I need to leave it for service, or valet park it. The other is a no start tune. This disables the starting ability (obviously). Use that one if it is going to parked on the street or out of site for awhile.

No defense for a thief with a tow truck though. Like mentioned before.....if they want it they are gonna take!!!

Barlock
11-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Interesting info. Thanks for posting it and educating us.
The thing that I learned is that I nneed to install the third party alarm system with an immobilizer on my car, because they say it is easy for the thieves to brake into your car with only manufacturers securuty system in it, but makes it quite a challenge for a thief to deal with both systems on - manufacturer's and the third party ones.
Of course, it doesn't help you if they bring a tow truck and just tow you car away.

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 02:59 PM
For my SRT-10, I have a couple of up loadable programs to limit and disable it. One is a Valet tune, that won't allow it to go over 1500 rpms in any gear. This is perfect if I need to leave it for service, or valet park it. The other is a no start tune. This disables the starting ability (obviously). Use that one if it is going to parked on the street or out of site for awhile.

No defense for a thief with a tow truck though. Like mentioned before.....if they want it they are gonna take!!!
Could they be adapted for use on a Spyder?? :dontknow: :thumbup:

Followme2DQ
11-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Could they be adapted for use on a Spyder?? :dontknow: :thumbup:

it is done with an obdII programer, so I would think not.

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Okay; just a thought... Thanks! :thumbup:

Cavman
11-04-2013, 10:54 PM
There was a security device sold for motorcycles some 20+ years ago. If you got jacked, the thief got 30 seconds down the road and the bike would shut down. He wouldn't be able to start it. If he was mad at you, at least he was 30 seconds down the road....away from you.
it was one of the Immoblizer brand devices. Some people adapted them to work on cars too.