PDA

View Full Version : I have had enough "spyder loving" from non 2013 owners

Magdave
10-31-2013, 08:23 PM
I have really seen enough 2013 owner bashing forum posts and telling people to ignore us. Obviously the 10,11,12, owners are the ones who are starting these threads. Have your bikes had melt downs that lead to them catching on fire? I have posted all the flaws BRP made in the 2013 and will do it one more time. Bad shocks, bad ball joints, moving components that obviously caused them to possibly burn up. Outlaw has proven the factory alignment to be flawed. Do I really need to go on. I am sick of people who do not own the 2013 telling us we are whiners. Yes the DPS was a big issue on earlier bikes but that was pretty much it. Yes they blow heat out the black hole just as all RTs have done but there is something more going on. BRP took a new frame and put an old engine in it that was never designed for it and then dumped the poor design on the dealer with an $6-8k discount ruining any chance we had at upgrading. I cannot take a $8-10k Loss in 3 months due to BRP's poor effort. Unless you own one you know nothing about what we are dealing with. I would really appreciate owners of previous model year just stop it. You are clueless about the the issues we have. If you want to know go trade yours in and helps us out. You can get $6-8k off what I paid and help us out. No takers? I cannot get any tech questions answered by calling BRP and that is just plain stupid the answer they give is "see the dealer" and we know there are maybe 4 or 5 in the whole country that even have a clue

I can see solutions to a lot of the problems but BRP will not pay for them or even call me as I have requested via PM to Steve. I worked for GM for 25 yrs and have never seen such a screwed up (even GM ) customer support system and lack of dealership oversight. So until BRP comes up with the correct solutions I think the non 2013 owners need to slack off and quit telling people to ignore the obvious problems we 2013 owners are going through. Maybe they will get fixed but if we shut up and say nothing they never will. There are solutions but who should pay for them the guy that just laid down $25 k or the builder of a defective product. I think the answer is obvious. The 2013 is BRP's Toyota run away car problem and I could care less if it takes them until June to trot out the 2014 they need to REALLY fix the 2013 first. That is just my humble opinion and yes I enjoy riding it but am paranoid about it thanks to the engineers poor performance in fixing the problems with tin foil insulation that is NOT the fix and we all know it. If BRP is trying to go bankrupt the 2013 is a good start.

Let the bashing begin I can give you a list of who will start that too if you like...and almost none are 2013 owners.:banghead:

scott16119
10-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Does someone need a hug?

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 08:32 PM
I have a 2013, are you talking about non 2013 RT owners? Because I have a 2013 ST-S w/ seemingly no heat problems, although I'm adding wrap to my exhaust because someone mentioned it would quiet the bike down quite a bit. :D

And I really don't see BRP standing up and doing anything more about the 2013 problems personally.

hotglue
10-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Does someone need a hug?

He needs a bike that runs..... comprende, Mag Dave has been proactive in trying to get his bike running right.... the problem is some of the 13's have issues that only brp can fix.. if they don't fix it, some of us have VERY expensive trot line weights sitting in out garages on 3 wheels

Some Guy
10-31-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm not going to bash you. I would not want to be in your position. I wish you well.

I too worked for GM for a few years...I got berated in a meeting for questioning an executive in a meeting. There was a discussion about a faulty connector in the Cavaliers...the engineer told the meeting chairman that the new connector would only cost 35 cents more per car. The "brilliant" exec screamed about how the car was already over priced and and that GM would deal with it under warranty ....

I spoke up about how dumb that was...big exec a-hole screamed at me about he knew better than me about the industry...and they wondered why the public thought GM products sucked.

Oh yeah...my contract was cancelled a week later!

finless
10-31-2013, 08:40 PM
I am not near you but if you were near me, I would trade you rides for a week or more just to see if there is a heat difference (recalls applied).
Mine is a 2011 and if you look way back to posts from then, heat issues were a complaint. If I had the opportunity to step into your shoes and ride a 2013 now that I have experience on a 2011, I really would like to.

I am not hammering you 2013 owners! For sure something is going on that I do not doubt. I personally would like to experience it and see. Really I am not kidding about that.

Anyway, if I ever post sounding like I am blowing you 2013 owners off, PM me so I know and understand.

Bob

Cal777
10-31-2013, 08:41 PM
I have really seen enough 2013 owner bashing forum posts and telling people to ignore us. Obviously the 10,11,12, owners are the ones who are starting these threads. Have your bikes had melt downs that lead to them catching on fire? I have posted all the flaws BRP made in the 2013 and will do it one more time. Bad shocks, bad ball joints, moving components that obviously caused them to possibly burn up. Outlaw has proven the factory alignment to be flawed. Do I really need to go on. I am sick of people who do not own the 2013 telling us we are whiners. Yes the DPS was a big issue on earlier bikes but that was pretty much it. Yes they blow heat out the black hole just as all RTs have done but there is something more going on. BRP took a new frame and put an old engine in it that was never designed for it and then dumped the poor design on the dealer with an $6-8k discount ruining any chance we had at upgrading. I cannot take a $8-10k Loss in 3 months due to BRP's poor effort. Unless you own one you nothing about what we are dealing with. I would really appreciate owners of previous model year just stop it. You are clueless about the the issues we have. If you want to know go trade yours in and helps us out. You can get $6-8k off what I paid and help us out. No takers? I cannot get any tech questions answered by calling BRP and that is just plain stupid the answer they give is "see the dealer" and we know there are maybe 4 or 5 in the whole country that even have a clue

I can see solutions to a lot of the problems but BRP will not pay for them or even call me as I have requested via PM to Steve. I worked for GM for 25 yrs and have never seen such a screwed up (even GM ) customer support system and lack of dealership oversight. So until BRP comes up with the correct solutions I think the non 2013 owners need to slack off and quit telling people to ignore the obvious problems we 2013 owners are going through. Maybe they will get fixed but if we shut up and say nothing they never will. There are solutions but who should pay for them the guy that just laid down $25 k or the builder of a defective product. I think the answer is obvious. The 2013 is BRP's Toyota run away car problem and I could care less if it takes them until June to trot out the 2014 they need to REALLY fix the 2013 first. That is just my humble opinion and yes I enjoy riding it but am paranoid about it thanks to the engineers poor performance in fixing the problems with tin foil insulation that is NOT the fix and we all know it. If BRP is trying to go bankrupt the 2013 is a good start.

Let the bashing begin I can give you a list of who will start that too if you like...and almost none are 2013 owners.:banghead:
Your opinion is humble?

Jeriatric
10-31-2013, 08:41 PM
You and others like you paid the price of admission and have every right to share your experiece. :doorag:

finless
10-31-2013, 08:47 PM
You and others like you paid the price of admission and have every right to share your experiece. :doorag:

+1000!

Bob

flamingobabe
10-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Magdave...oh how I know how you feel....I did not post for a few days because I got tired of defending myself....I am not a whiner ...I had a 2009 RS that I put about $7000 into to make it a touring bike...put 54,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years...I loved that bike and had no more than general maintenance ....had the clutch replaced...dps....but this 2013 ST is a nightmare...afraid to ride it....but I've come to a place that I'm working with BRP...hopefully good things will happen.....I always have a Lemon-law....but no one understands the 2013's except for owners and the technically inclined, thanks to my husband, Mark...I believe.this bike is going to blow a piston, burn to the ground, melt all plastic and rubber parts, a lean machine does not last long, I'm replacing the 2nd purge valve next week, it clatters and shakes and sounds like the engine is going to fall apart on cold take-off and reverse, hot air at gas tank...measured the other day...181 degrees just behind gas cap...I have the gas tank covered in 1/4" ceramic heat shield protection....what's up with that....this bike is not going to last very long and going to be a constant problem.....BRP will not hear the end of it until I have another bike.....I could go on...but I will stop...flame away....I got my Big Girl Pants On

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm not going yo bash you. I would not want to be in your position. I wish you well.

I too worked for GM for a few years...I got berated in a meeting for questioning an executive in a meeting. There was a discussion about a faulty connector in the Cavaliers...the engineer told the meeting chairman that the new connector would only cost 35 cents more per car. The "brilliant" exec screamed about how the car was already over priced and and that GM would deal with it under warranty ....

I spoke up about how dumb that was...big exec a-hole screamed at me about he knew better than me about the industry...and they wondered why the public thought GM products sucked.

I've always thought GM sucked, just sayin' :FordBlueBlood:

lol

hotglue
10-31-2013, 08:58 PM
You and others like you paid the price of admission and have every right to share your experiece. :doorag: Well.... I have stayed off the board for a couple weeks, because I didn't have anything nice to say about FB's spyder...and I know how some of you like to hear NOTHING but 'good' about the spyders..... well... that is over. I'm PISSED. We did pay the price of admission.... and paid for up front seating.... but we will not see the show.... we are stuck behind a pole and can not see the stage.... and those that got good seating say we are at fault because we are not enjoying the program....some times it's best to just walk out of the show.... but at this point, if I have to push and upset some of the sensitive folks to get to see the show... well.. girth up.... BRP will need to make this right, Or you kind folks will NEVER hear the end of it. Flame suit on... take your best shot... but if ya shoot... be prepared for incoming.

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Does someone need a hug?

I think you are being rude.

spyderbirds
10-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Well.... I have stayed off the board for a couple weeks, because I didn't have anything nice to say about FB's spyder... well... that is over. I'm PISSED. We did pay the price of admission.... and paid for up front seating.... but we will not see the show.... we are stuck behind a pole and can not see the stage.... and those that got good seating say we are at fault because we are not enjoying the program....some times it's best to just walk out of the show.... but at this point, if I have to push and upset some of the sensitive folks to get to see the show... well.. girth up.... BRP will need to make this right, Or you kind folks will NEVER hear the end of it. Flame suit on... take your best shot... but if ya shoot... be prepared for incoming.

HG, You and FB need to speak your piece and loudly as do the other owners with these unsolved issues.

If someone doesn't want to hear or read about it they don't have to click the post. Simple as that.

CB

OldCowboy
10-31-2013, 09:10 PM
You know, Dave, your hatred of your Spyder and BRP is consuming your life. It's eating you up. We all get that you have had problems with your Spyder and are upset. I really believe you would be much better off without it, even if you had to take a loss. I cannot imagine how you can enjoy ryding something you are paranoid about.

That being said, you DO NOT speak for all 2013 owners. :lecturef_smilie: Many (most?) of us have had good experiences with our Spyders and most of us have found reputable dealers to help us out with any issues. My 2013 RT-S did not have bad shocks; did not have bad ball joints; the alignment was dead on when Lamonster checked it; my gas has never boiled; my gas cap has never been too hot to touch; nothing has melted under the tupperware.

You talk about Spyder fires like they were an every day occurrence. They are not. I know of only two 2013s that have caught fire. Vehicles that use flammable liquids as fuel occasionally burn up. We had a post just last week about a fellow whose Honda or Harley trike caught fire while it was idling in the driveway.

Your comparisons between BRP and GM are unfair. BRP is a small company still undergoing growing pains. It has been a manufacturer of motorcycles for less than ten years. It's dealer network is small with many dealers struggling to deal with the technical challenges of the Spyder. GM is the largest vehicle manufacturing company in the world, with over 100 years to develop and refine its products, its dealer network, and its customer support.

3 Wheel Addict
10-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Well... I was going to send a PM to Lamont and request that my user name be removed and I was going on my way... until I read this thread! It appears that I have "backup" to support my gripes and concerns.

hotglue
10-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Magdave...oh how I know how you feel....I did not post for a few days because I got tired of defending myself....I am not a whiner ...I had a 2009 RS that I put about $7000 into to make it a touring bike...put 54,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years...I loved that bike and had no more than general maintenance ....had the clutch replaced...dps....but this 2013 ST is a nightmare...afraid to ride it....but I've come to a place that I'm working with BRP...hopefully good things will happen.....I always have a Lemon-law....but no one understands the 2013's except for owners and the technically inclined, thanks to my husband, Mark...I believe.this bike is going to blow a piston, burn to the ground, melt all plastic and rubber parts, a lean machine does not last long, I'm replacing the 2nd purge valve next week, it clatters and shakes and sounds like the engine is going to fall apart on cold take-off and reverse, hot air at gas tank...measured the other day...181 degrees just behind gas cap...I have the gas tank covered in 1/4" ceramic heat shield protection....what's up with that....this bike is not going to last very long and going to be a constant problem.....BRP will not hear the end of it until I have another bike.....I could go on...but I will stop...flame away....I got my Big Girl Pants On Y'all don't wanna mess with FB when she has her' Big Girl Pants' on.....Fair warning!

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Does someone need a hug?

It's nice to have a little sense of humor around here sometimes to ease the stressful. :thumbup:

hotglue
10-31-2013, 09:20 PM
It's nice to have a little sense of humor around here sometimes to ease the stressful. :thumbup:
Or to be completely oblivious to the issues.....

finless
10-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Personally, I hope this thread continues!

I would like to hear from many with both sides of the story.

Bob

Some Guy
10-31-2013, 09:22 PM
I've always thought GM sucked, just sayin' :FordBlueBlood:

lol

Hehehe...I drive a Ford!

the week before I started at GM, some of the union guys flipped a non-GM truck in the parking lot over and set fire to it! OK... This was 20 years ago... They're not reading this...or they're dead!!!

finless
10-31-2013, 09:24 PM
He he...I dive a Ford!

the week before I started at GM, some of the union guys flipped a non-GM truck in the parking lot over and set fire to it! OK... This was 20 years ago... They're not reading this...or they're dead!!!

Is it at all possible to stay on subject and not diverge into a Ford GM thing?

Just sayin....

I want to see this continue with full user feedback and input and not have this turn into another thread with a ton of dribble...

Sorry,
Bob

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 09:25 PM
You know, Dave, your hatred of your Spyder and BRP is consuming your life. It's eating you up. We all get that you have had problems with your Spyder and are upset. I really believe you would be much better off without it, even if you had to take a loss. I cannot imagine how you can enjoy ryding something you are paranoid about.

That being said, you DO NOT speak for all 2013 owners. :lecturef_smilie: Many (most?) of us have had good experiences with our Spyders and most of us have found reputable dealers to help us out with any issues. My 2013 RT-S did not have bad shocks; did not have bad ball joints; the alignment was dead on when Lamonster checked it; my gas has never boiled; my gas cap has never been too hot to touch; nothing has melted under the tupperware.

You talk about Spyder fires like they were an every day occurrence. They are not. I know of only two 2013s that have caught fire. Vehicles that use flammable liquids as fuel occasionally burn up. We had a post just last week about a fellow whose Honda or Harley trike caught fire while it was idling in the driveway.

Your comparisons between BRP and GM are unfair. BRP is a small company still undergoing growing pains. It has been a manufacturer of motorcycles for less than ten years. It's dealer network is small with many dealers struggling to deal with the technical challenges of the Spyder. GM is the largest vehicle manufacturing company in the world, with over 100 years to develop and refine its products, its dealer network, and its customer support.

There have been 3 fires the first was the demo bike in PA, the second was one week before mine in Canada and then there was mine. You can find this info out by reading the recall data at NHTSA website. While there have been 3 fires there have been many Spyders that had melted parts when they went in for the recall work. So you can count your blessings that you didn't have a problem but don't downplay those of us who have had them.

hotglue
10-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Well... I was going to send a PM to Lamont and request that my user name be removed and I was going on my way... until I read this thread! It appears that I have "backup" to support my gripes and concerns.We have felt the same....nojoke

flamingobabe
10-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Mark found my melted parts in June and had the first...that I know of repair to master cylinder, brake cable and canister...or mine would have burned to the ground...just saying....the 2013 is a different animal

hotglue
10-31-2013, 09:31 PM

Your comparisons between BRP and GM are unfair. BRP is a small company still undergoing growing pains. It has been a manufacturer of motorcycles for less than ten years. It's dealer network is small with many dealers struggling to deal with the technical challenges of the Spyder. GM is the largest vehicle manufacturing company in the world, with over 100 years to develop and refine its products, its dealer network, and its customer support.Glad you are having good luck with your spyder...... so I guess the rest of us that are having issues should just go away????? Pretty narrow minded of you... Thanks for your concerns..

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Or to be completely oblivious to the issues.....

I wouldn't assume that of anyone on this forum, I think we all know good and well there are issues....sometimes you gotta joke about it a bit to ease the pain.

Understandable that those going through the pain may not see the humor in it....hence, maybe they need a hug? :dontknow:

bluestratos
I empathize, I have a 2011 that averages a mechanical problem every 2 months since I bought it new. I also suffer with too much heat to bear at times, my alignment has been off since purchase, parts falling off, excessive vibration, paint defects, brake problems, cruise control quit working, air suspension leaking, radio resets, cb reception was a joke.. shall I go on? Lol....it is frustrating to say the least but at least it makes a very nice yard ornament! lol

DJFaninTN
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/227/toystory3popcorn.gif

cuznjohn
10-31-2013, 09:35 PM
i have done my fair share of complaining about my bike, i promised the other day that i would not complain about the problem of loosing money on the bike so i will not mention the money. i love the concept of the bike and i also love the looks but that is as far as the love aspic goes right now. keep on bitching till we get removed from the forum. i totally agree with you

hotglue
10-31-2013, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't assume that of anyone on this forum, I think we all know good and well there are issues....sometimes you gotta joke about it a bit to ease the pain.

Understandable that those going through the pain may not see the humor in it....hence, maybe they need a hug? :dontknow:We are OK.... no hugs needed..LOL but the spyder could use a hug.... asbestos suit is optional...nojoke

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 09:40 PM
i have done my fair share of complaining about my bike, i promised the other day that i would not complain about the problem of loosing money on the bike so i will not mention the money. i love the concept of the bike and i also love the looks but that is as far as the love aspic goes right now. keep on bitching till we get removed from the forum. i totally agree with you

You got a laugh out of me on this reply! :roflblack:

finless
10-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Glad you are having good luck with your spyder...... so I guess the rest of us that are having issues should just go away????? Pretty narrow minded of you... Thanks for your concerns...

My opinion.... it's good to hear from folks that do not have problems too!

This thread title says it all.

Let the 2013 people "tell their story" but don't bash on one of them if their opinion differs from yours!

Just trying to keep this post good so that future buyers read straight up info. This thread should not turn into an argument!

My .0001 cents

Bob

Magdave
10-31-2013, 09:44 PM

You were #1 on that list I did not post. Did you look at the recent poll 50% said they have moderate to severe heat issues. Did the canister change ? Nope. Did the MC change ? Nope but they are now covered in tinfoil why is that? Is it because the bikes are just great and fine and dandy? As owners should we be satisfied with that as a fix that no other year needed? There is something not right and we want a real fix. And all of your negative posting will not change that. You certainly do not speak for 2013 owners. One other point is that poll showed~ 100 2013 owners replied how do you know how many that do not belong to the forum are having issues too? I can accept the black hole heat it obviously is to be expected but beyond that no way. I am happy you got one that was actually put together right what about those of us that didn't do we shut up because you say so? What would you say If you had Anne's Bike?

Some Guy
10-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Is it at all possible to stay on subject and not diverge into a Ford GM thing?

Just sayin....

I want to see this continue with full user feedback and input and not have this turn into another thread with a ton of dribble...

Sorry,
Bob

Dribble Dribble Dribble...or....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ6LC-olw9Q

Dan McNally
10-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I think I'm done with Spyderlovers . . . at least for the time being. When I made the simple suggestion that someone might make some money selling an affordable scoop, similar to Veritika's, it turned ugly. I don't need to argue with mindless :cus:s who hide behind a psuedonym on a website . . . I have better things to do. Perhaps, after sleeping on it, I may be back . . . but as it stands now, I'm done. I have really enjoyed this forum, and so many of the folks that post here . . . but I retired to take stress that was killing me out of my life and don't need any more added by that sort of person. The best to all of you. Dan.

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Mark found my melted parts in June and had the first...that I know of repair to master cylinder, brake cable and canister...or mine would have burned to the ground...just saying....the 2013 is a different animal

And I had the melted parking brake cable at the Owner's Event also in June.

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 09:52 PM
You were #1 on that list I did not post. Did you look at the recent poll 50% said they have moderate to severe heat issues. Did the canister change ? Nope. Did the MC change ? Nope but they are now covered in tinfoil why is that? Is it because the bikes are just great and fine and dandy? As owners should we be satisfied with that as a fix that no other year needed? There is something not right and we want a real fix. And all of your negative posting will not change that. You certainly do not speak for 2013 owners. One other point is that poll showed~ 100 2013 owners replied how do you know how many that do no belong to the forum are having issues too? I an happy you got one that was actually put together right what about those of us that didn't do we shut up because you say so?

I have a 2013 and didn't vote on the poll. These forum polls aren't very scientific. Just sayin' :smile:

RBS66
10-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Any non 2013 owners who don't want to hear any complaints CAN JUST GO TAKE A FLYING LEAP! ITS a free forum and free country so don't read the posts if you don't like what is being said.
I have a 2013 RT bought it Aug. 23 on a good ride it gets extremely hot around glove box and you can hear the gas boiling. Iam also trying to correct some handling issues. If we can't talk about issues hear on this forum that's crazy.
Iam glad I did because I was able to get some help from Baja Ron and
Lamont about my handling issues in some posts here and Mike from Rolo called my dealer while I was there getting an alignment .Without posting issues we can't get any help. Iam a happy 2013 owner just trying to make my bike what it should be. Like all the people who have a great bike but don't want to hear anybody else's issues.

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 09:53 PM
I think I'm done with Spyderlovers . . . at least for the time being. When I made the simple suggestion that someone might make some money selling an affordable scoop, similar to Veritika's, it turned ugly. I don't need to argue with mindless :cus:s who hide behind a psuedonym on a website . . . I have better things to do. Perhaps, after sleeping on it, I may be back . . . but as it stands now, I'm done. I have really enjoyed this forum, and so many of the folks that post here . . . but I retired to take stress that was killing me out of my life and don't need any more added by that sort of person. The best to all of you. Dan.

Am I a psuedonym? :yikes:

Some Guy
10-31-2013, 09:58 PM

No more than I am!!! :roflblack:

I'm just Some Guy...just sayin'...

Magdave
10-31-2013, 09:59 PM
My opinion.... it's good to hear from folks that do not have problems too!

This thread title says it all.

Let the 2013 people "tell their story" but don't bash on one of them if their opinion differs from yours!

Just trying to keep this post good so that future buyers read straight up info. This thread should not turn into an argument!

My .0001 cents

Bob
I saw the post that everyone thanked and agreed with to ATTENTION TO ANYONE NEW TO SPYDERLOVERS FORUM (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59993-ATTENTION-TO-ANYONE-NEW-TO-SPYDERLOVERS-FORUM) it was a slam to those of us that are struggling with a hybrid that was clearly not well thought out or tested. That is what brought this thread almost none of those people even own a a 2013 I think one did.

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 09:59 PM
No more than I am!!! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/roflblack.gif

I'm just Some Guy...just sayin'...

At least you're a guy, I'm just a dog. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/dana51581/snoopy.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/dana51581/media/snoopy.jpg.html)

Magdave
10-31-2013, 10:01 PM

Don't give up Hayfield we need you, you do have some insight don't let the bashers win.:thumbup:

rojodawg
10-31-2013, 10:07 PM

I think they make a cream for that now. :shocked:

Lighten up folks, we are all fellow spyderlovers here, and despite the reality that some of our rydes have more problems than others, I can't believe that anyone wishes any ill will to anyone else on the forum. It's ok to be passionate about our expensive toys, but we can express different opinions without demeaning others. Just saying. :doorag:

Some Guy
10-31-2013, 10:13 PM
At least you're a guy, I'm just a dog.

Hey now...I actually happen to look a lot like my avatar!!! Although, there are many here that would say I have whiter hair and it's shorter! :roflblack:

However...many people at many of the events I attend only recognize me because of the tie-dye! nojoke

(I even wore a tie dye get up to work today for the Halloween stuff...with a tie tied around my head!...sorry...no pics..I'm smarter than that!) again nojoke

finless
10-31-2013, 10:15 PM
At least you're a guy, I'm just a dog. [URL="http://media.photobucket.com/user/dana51581/media/snoopy.jpg.html[/URL]

I think it is not nice to just post something irrelevant like this. Personally I think it is a little disrespectful to those that want to make a point and you just post something that has nothing to do with the subject. :lecturef_smilie:

I mean really... what if you wanted to post and explain and people posted crap like that? How would you take it?

I think I am done trying to help moderate this a little. Some seem to not care about others and pollute their posts.

I happen to run a few forums and posts like that would get moved to another post real fast! I don't delete peoples posts but when they go off topic and make a thread unreadable and unuseable by many, I move them to another post where guys can do things like this.

You guys are NOT IN ANY WAY... BEING CONSTRUCTIVE to this post and the OP that posted it! :lecturef_smilie:

Bob

OldCowboy
10-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Glad you are having good luck with your spyder...... so I guess the rest of us that are having issues should just go away????? Pretty narrow minded of you... Thanks for your concerns...

No, I don't think you should just go away. I understand some of you are having terrible problems with your Spyders. But I think it's counterproductive to simply excoriate BRP for not coming up with a fix. Let's put our heads together and try to find some solutions.

When I bought my 2007 Harley Road Glide, users were having huge problems with heat on the right leg and thigh, especially in stop and go summer traffic. People wearing long pants were still getting second degree burns. Harley Davidson was not doing anything to help us. They certainly weren't going to buy our bikes back because we had hot thighs. It didn't take long to figure that part of the problem was a mixture that was too lean. So, folks bought Power Commanders and similar devices to richen up the mixtures. That helped some, but the nature of the beast was that there was no way the rear cylinder could be properly air cooled at low speeds. So a couple of mom & pop shops figured out how to add a shield to protect the right thigh. Even then, low speeds and stop and go traffic was still a b*tch. However, it was ludicrous to believe Harley Davidson was going to do anything to buy back those bikes or provide monetary relief for a trade-in to an improved version. Eventually, Harley Davidson redesigned their electronics to shut down the rear cylinder when the bike was stopped.

So, what can WE do to improve the situation for those who have problems? Is it a problem with the mixture? Will a Power Commander or Juice Box help? Clearly, the exhaust is routed too close to the gas tank. What can WE do to make that better? Does heat reflective tape on the gas tank help? How about heat wrap for the headers? Or ceramic coating...does this work better than heat wrap? We know the catalytic converter creates huge amounts of heat. We also know that most states don't test motorcycles for emissions. So, does replacing the cat with a straight pipe improve the situation? What about the exhaust gaskets? The BRP design appears to have less than optimal performance. Will replacing them with the Honda gaskets improve the heat problems?

I think we all need to recognize that raising he11 at BRP on Spyderlovers is not going to solve the problem. So, rather than constantly excoriating BRP, let's work together to try and figure out how WE can resolve these issues.

Some Guy
10-31-2013, 10:28 PM
I think it is not nice to just post something irrelevant like this. Personally I think it is a little disrespectful to those that want to make a point and you just post something that has nothing to do with the subject. :lecturef_smilie:

I mean really... what if you wanted to post and explain and people posted crap like that? How would you take it?

I think I am done trying to help moderate this a little. Some seem to not care about others and pollute their posts.

I happen to run a few forums and posts like that would get moved to another post real fast! I don't delete peoples posts but when they go off topic and make a thread unreadable and unuseable by many, I move them to another post where guys can do things like this.

You guys are NOT IN ANY WAY... BEING CONSTRUCTIVE to this post and the OP that posted it! :lecturef_smilie:

Bob

Someone needs a nap! This is and always has been a friendly site. I've been a member for quite a while and this is type of thread not abnormal.

If you want a truly critical, straight forward technical forum, then start your own.

Lamont knows very well how to run a forum. ...'nuff said...

finless
10-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Someone needs a nap! This is and always has been a friendly site. I've been a member for quite a while and this is type of thread not abnormal.

If you want a truly critical, straight forward technical forum, then start your own.

Yea... no moderation to keep the subject in scope!
Fun is fun, but moderation to keep good threads with good info on track is lacking here in my opinion!
Not trying to tell Lemont how to run his house but things like this just make it hard for people to find good info and not have to read through trash!

I am done with this... I hope this thread stays on topic.

Bob

Magdave
10-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Someone said BRP needs more time to develop VS GM they have only been making bikes for 5 yrs. Well they have been making Ski Doos since 1959. It isn't a big leap to put wheels on one to make the Spyder. Have you seen a new one it looks the same as a Spyder except it has skis and a belt instead of a rear tire so time is up, they need to get their dealers competent and fix their dangerous products instead of managing the fire risk, they need to be able to answer a tech question when a customer calls instead of telling them to see a dealer who know less about the issues than we do. I don't need a case number I need an answer or someone to talk to that knows something about the product they sell. This is 2013 not 1959. When you call them ,email or PM them to call you they should be doing it within 24hrs My $25k should have bought that much service.

Magdave
10-31-2013, 10:50 PM

If you and Snoop wanna play please take it to off topic This is my thread and I really would like to keep it on subject. I do not want any Ice Cream.:thumbup:

Some Guy
10-31-2013, 11:10 PM
If you and Snoop wanna play please take it to off topic This is my thread and I really would like to keep it on subject. I do not want any Ice Cream.:thumbup:

It's already in PM mode.

I apologize for the interruption (it would piss me off if someone had done it to my thread)

Daisyjoe
10-31-2013, 11:29 PM
I have really seen enough 2013 owner bashing forum posts and telling people to ignore us. Obviously the 10,11,12, owners are the ones who are starting these threads. Have your bikes had melt downs that lead to them catching on fire? I have posted all the flaws BRP made in the 2013 and will do it one more time. Bad shocks, bad ball joints, moving components that obviously caused them to possibly burn up. Outlaw has proven the factory alignment to be flawed. Do I really need to go on. I am sick of people who do not own the 2013 telling us we are whiners. Yes the DPS was a big issue on earlier bikes but that was pretty much it. Yes they blow heat out the black hole just as all RTs have done but there is something more going on. BRP took a new frame and put an old engine in it that was never designed for it and then dumped the poor design on the dealer with an $6-8k discount ruining any chance we had at upgrading. I cannot take a $8-10k Loss in 3 months due to BRP's poor effort. Unless you own one you know nothing about what we are dealing with. I would really appreciate owners of previous model year just stop it. You are clueless about the the issues we have. If you want to know go trade yours in and helps us out. You can get $6-8k off what I paid and help us out. No takers? I cannot get any tech questions answered by calling BRP and that is just plain stupid the answer they give is "see the dealer" and we know there are maybe 4 or 5 in the whole country that even have a clue

When I took my bike in for the recall, it had a melted master cylinder, vapor canister and purge valve. It only had 3900 miles on the odometer. I parked the bike, after BRP issued the statement on SL, for 4 weeks. The shop manager told me he was SO glad I did not continue to ride the bike. Recall complete, insulation added, and pipes wrapped. Two weeks later, while on a ride, the heat on my thighs became so intense I folded a T shirt to get some comfort to continue the ride home. The heat did not go away. I cannot enjoy riding. It is painful. In more ways than one!! BRP needs to step up to the plate and make it right for those of us who have inferior machines. The shop manager told me that my bike was the only one that had any melted parts so that clearly shows that not all the bikes have the same issues! I have never complained about the heat on my right foot. I can live with that. It's the volcanic heat rising around the glove box and the sides of my seat that causes me problems. I own a 2010 RS and I have never had a problem. It is an awesome machine. Fun to ride and drive. That is why I bought another one, a very expensive one! Listen to us BRP. We have very real, legitimate problems. Problems that need to addressed. Well that is my rant for the night.

Chupaca
10-31-2013, 11:31 PM
this is like a fireworks barge on fire. Things are going off in all directions...boils down to:
Those with problems/issues and those without problems/issues. I am sure no one here does not feel for those that are having problems. If not with our spyders or some vehicle or appliance we have all had problems. I also understand that those with problems are not pleased to hear from those that have no problems because it all seems unfair. But to get a true picture you need both sides. If we add all the problems these machines have had since they were introduced there should be a lot more angry people here. Problems were solved, repairs made and many fixed them up on their own. 2013's are the latest and therefore the freshest (and not the only ones to catch fire) and seeing as we live in a fast paced through away world solutions will seem like forever. 2014's are now supposed to roll out late December and you are going to see a whole new set of problems. Soooo ya'll keep posting treat each other right or not I will keep reading a nd posting regardless for this is still the best site spyder ever..!! jomo :ohyea:

Sny
10-31-2013, 11:35 PM
You talk about Spyder fires like they were an every day occurrence. They are not. I know of only two 2013s that have caught fire. Vehicles that use flammable liquids as fuel occasionally burn up.
Exactly how many is a good number of fires to have?

3 out of some 2500 2013's sold? That seems rather high considering it's 3 in less than a year of ownership. At least one of which had less than 1000 miles on it.

Hundreds of melted master cylinder caps spraying flammable fluid on hot exhaust... so if it doesn't burn up, you just crash into something because you have no brakes or mushy brakes?

These aren't comfort issues. We aren't being "picky" or overly "alarmist". These are serious design issues.

2013 owners have every right to be upset and desire a response and action from BRP. Right now we've been told "there is no problem" and "suck it up" from other Spyder owners and BRP alike. Not the most pleasant place to be.

Sny
10-31-2013, 11:40 PM
And I had the melted parking brake cable at the Owner's Event also in June.
My MC cap melted at the owners event (on the dragon) with 2000 miles on the clock. The BRP tech (won't mention names...) basically said "yep, I told them this would happen..."

hotglue
10-31-2013, 11:42 PM
No, I don't think you should just go away. I understand some of you are having terrible problems with your Spyders. But I think it's counterproductive to simply excoriate BRP for not coming up with a fix. Let's put our heads together and try to find some solutions.

When I bought my 2007 Harley Road Glide, users were having huge problems with heat on the right leg and thigh, especially in stop and go summer traffic. People wearing long pants were still getting second degree burns. Harley Davidson was not doing anything to help us. They certainly weren't going to buy our bikes back because we had hot thighs. It didn't take long to figure that part of the problem was a mixture that was too lean. So, folks bought Power Commanders and similar devices to richen up the mixtures. That helped some, but the nature of the beast was that there was no way the rear cylinder could be properly air cooled at low speeds. So a couple of mom & pop shops figured out how to add a shield to protect the right thigh. Even then, low speeds and stop and go traffic was still a b*tch. However, it was ludicrous to believe Harley Davidson was going to do anything to buy back those bikes or provide monetary relief for a trade-in to an improved version. Eventually, Harley Davidson redesigned their electronics to shut down the rear cylinder when the bike was stopped.

So, what can WE do to improve the situation for those who have problems? Is it a problem with the mixture? Will a Power Commander or Juice Box help? Clearly, the exhaust is routed too close to the gas tank. What can WE do to make that better? Does heat reflective tape on the gas tank help? How about heat wrap for the headers? Or ceramic coating...does this work better than heat wrap? We know the catalytic converter creates huge amounts of heat. We also know that most states don't test motorcycles for emissions. So, does replacing the cat with a straight pipe improve the situation? What about the exhaust gaskets? The BRP design appears to have less than optimal performance. Will replacing them with the Honda gaskets improve the heat problems?

I think we all need to recognize that raising he11 at BRP on Spyderlovers is not going to solve the problem. So, rather than constantly excoriating BRP, let's work together to try and figure out how WE can resolve these issues.
Dude... I've been riding and building bikes for 53 years.....I KNOW about modifications. So... what modifications that void my warranty should I do? The bike runs WAY too lean, This is a BRP issue... Power Commander does not have a fix for it or I would spent the 500 bucks plus dyno time to dial it in to fix it. Remove the cat????? I'm too lean already and no way to richen up.. Pipes are wrapped... tank is shielded gas is still boiling and gas cap is 170F plus at 70f degrees ambient temps ... bandaids are not going to fix the problem... WE HAVE BEEN PROACTIVE... If you don't have the issues..good for you but we have them and you will not understand, as has been demonstrated.. I really think you are missing the point.... FB LOVES her spyder.... she just wishes she could ride it.... If you are offended by those of us that are having issues.... Well That's your problem... bypass the post, read something else. As glad as I am that you are completely satisfied with your spyder.... understand that some of us are having issues that need to be addressed and are not at all satisfied.... it's not all peaches and roses in the spyder world... to think otherwise would not be a true vision of what is happening to some spyder owners. Good Luck... I feel no need to try to defend to You why we are not pleased with the spyder. I really feel my time would be wasted. We are looking at ways to have the spyder made right, but fear heat damage has already taken a toll and the bike's life is shortened.
So We will continued to ride as we can, if we complain, you will have to put up with it, We do have a 5 year warranty, and I suspect that BRP will be very glad when it is out of date. At 25 to 30K mile a year, I don't expect the spyder would last that long anyway. But it would be good to have a road worthy bike during it's life span.

AZLife
11-01-2013, 12:17 AM
I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread by simply listing a few famous quotes:

"We all share a common bond"

"Can't we all just get along"

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bare"

And with that, does anyone else have anything to say or can we please just end this thread with those quotes and move on to new, more productive threads that will help ALL US Spyder OWNERS!

HuckFin
11-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Don't want to upset anyone here, but I really love my 2013....Best fun investment I have ever made.

hotglue
11-01-2013, 12:20 AM
I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread by simply listing a few famous quotes:

"We all share a common bond"

"Can't we all just get along"

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bare"

And with that, does anyone else have anything to say or can we please just end this thread with those quotes and move on to new, more productive threads that will help ALL US Spyder OWNERS!

If yer gonna get naked and beat drums singing around the fire... I'm outta here...LOL No HATE here... just MAJOR disappointment in a motorcycle that is not what it should be. And disappointment in folks that berate other folks that have issues with their bikes, and try to belittle them and their issues. Glad y'all are doing GREAT with your bikes... if you want to live in a rose colored world... have fun.... just get some rose tinted glasses that have enough filter to not see what you don't want to see.

hotglue
11-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Don't want to upset anyone here, but I really love my 2013....Best fun investment I have ever made.
That IS GREAT!!!!!

Rick11Flor
11-01-2013, 12:41 AM
but i too have had more than my fare share of issues and i have posted most on here and i dont think i have posted any that have not needed to be posted..

that said i hope that one day those few that are having problems like me can see a solution before rather than later so we can all enjoy our bikes.

have fun and enjoy what you can of your bike tell then

i still ride mine daily, but still wonder if the brakes will go out or is it going to burst into flames... i try not to think about it too much, but i have too much invested to have it parked.
:bowdown:

cuznjohn
11-01-2013, 01:15 AM
wow after reading all the posts the next BBQ or spyder fest is going to be like WrestleMania 2014 :roflblack::roflblack:

Chupaca
11-01-2013, 02:32 AM
wow after reading all the posts the next BBQ or spyder fest is going to be like WrestleMania 2014 :roflblack::roflblack:

we're different people face to face..this is like texting..you can't see my face or hear my tone which often leads to the misinterpertations we see here. But seeing you all would be fun and less painful that wrestlemania..!! :roflblack::roflblack:

ThreeWheels
11-01-2013, 05:01 AM

Let me be the first to do the bashing then.
I understand your position. I know there are issues with the 2013 and I share some of the same experiences.
But frankly, as a forum member who has tried to help, I resent your accusations.
I REALLY resent your accusations.
Maybe it's your attitude that people are bashing.
I believe there is a setting on this forum where you can "ignore" a certain screenname.
I've never done this before, but I will with you.

cuznjohn
11-01-2013, 05:25 AM
it a shame that it is coming to a point where people will stare to ignore other because of their posts. some people handle pressure different than others, some need to vent. i personally hate when people bash me for my thought and and feelings but i have learned to deal with it, at one point on one of my posts people bashed me and started talking about ice cream and that upset me but than i calmed down and just spoke my piece and forgot about it. when a person is put in a situation where your back is up against a wall and your trapped with a product or problem you handle it the way you have always on life. so cut the guy a brake and if someone attacks you personally go for it but if it is a general statement w/o names just let water flow under the bridge

MouthPiece
11-01-2013, 05:40 AM
I've had my 2013 RT-S longer than anyone in here, and I'm lovin it.

Chris

Netminder
11-01-2013, 06:17 AM
There have been 3 fires the first was the demo bike in PA, the second was one week before mine in Canada and then there was mine. You can find this info out by reading the recall data at NHTSA website. While there have been 3 fires there have been many Spyders that had melted parts when they went in for the recall work. So you can count your blessings that you didn't have a problem but don't downplay those of us who have had them.

Well said!! Although I have no issues with my 2012RT. I think everyone has a right to gripe here, we have all definitely paid the price of admission to this show as many posters have said. I wish all 2013 owners with issues the best of luck and hope BRP finally comes up with a real fix instead of band aids.:thumbup:

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Bob

:roflblack:

I help run a couple forums too, and post the same way!

If you can't have some fun going through life then what is the point?

If every word in this thread was serious it would get heated quick and people would be getting very upset and this forum would suffer from it.

You should thank me for my post, your welcome. :thumbup:

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 06:30 AM

Chris

Awesome :thumbup:

Good thing you you don't live in a hot weather state. :roflblack:

3 Wheel Addict
11-01-2013, 06:40 AM

Chris

Clearly you got one of the good one's then... my wife is afraid to even ride with me on mine, she just don't trust it. How does one fix that lost trust? I have about 1200 miles on it now and I have no fear of it burning despite the hot plastic smell and having to put a towel on the front of the seat to stop the heat from coming out the cracks. It's winter here now and my season is over anyway so i'm hoping BRP gets fix this winter for next season.

coz
11-01-2013, 06:50 AM
what is Len's opinion of the hot 2013 bikes? what does Lamont think? what does Scotty think about it? why can't the computer be re-programed to richen the fuel mixture sufficiently on these bikes?

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 06:54 AM
what is Len's opinion of the hot 2013 bikes? what does Lamont think? what does Scotty think about it? why can't the computer be re-programed to richen the fuel mixture sufficiently on these bikes?

As as some have stated, it's not really the engine running too hot, it's that the heat has nowhere to escape from under the plastic quick enough.

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 06:59 AM
:shocked: I've stayed off to the side on this one so far... :shocked:
Is everybody about done getting upset with one-another?
That's not how problems get solved...
We're all better than this.

Dave,
You've been pretty pro-active with your bike; that's what we need in here! :thumbup: Folks attempting to find ways to end the problem in a collaborative manner can't help but find some workable solutions.
I'll admit to growing tired of complaints; but I only grow tired of complaints that don't point in a direction that might offer up a solution.

(Off my soapbox...)

3 Wheel Addict
11-01-2013, 07:12 AM
As as some have stated, it's not really the engine running too hot, it's that the heat has nowhere to escape from under the plastic quick enough.

I'm not sure that's it either, the panels and design is the same on all of the RT's and ST's if it was a matter the heat just not getting out then they would all have the issue, and most don't. I personally think it is an engine issue as some generate more heat in the exhaust that others, could be a mapping issue with the ECM. I have never seen my temp gauge above the half way mark so my engine is not hotter from a cooling standpoint. But it could be lean or the timing could be advanced too far?? These high tech computer engines have all of us with technical knowledge at a disadvantage, we can no longer change jets to richen an engine or move around a timing sensor to adjust timing, everything is controlled by the ECM and we are helpless. I know wrapping my exhaust pipes helped but won't know how much till it get hot out again.

flamingobabe
11-01-2013, 07:16 AM

EPA......but BRP is working on new mapping......I'll let Len, Lamont and Scotty answer for themselves

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Question:
Did you also wrap your fuel tank? Or wasn't that as much of an issue?
Glad to hear of workable solutions being tried! :thumbup:
I honestly think that we just need to find "the next step" in the process. nojoke

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm not sure that's it either, the panels and design is the same on all of the RT's and ST's if it was a matter the heat just not getting out then they would all have the issue, and most don't. I personally think it is an engine issue as some generate more heat in the exhaust that others, could be a mapping issue with the ECM. I have never seen my temp gauge above the half way mark so my engine is not hotter from a cooling standpoint. But it could be lean or the timing could be advanced too far?? These high tech computer engines have all of us with technical knowledge at a disadvantage, we can no longer change jets to richen an engine or move around a timing sensor to adjust timing, everything is controlled by the ECM and we are helpless. I know wrapping my exhaust pipes helped but won't know how much till it get hot out again.

This sounds a little contradictory to me? If it was running lean wouldn't your temp gauge also run hotter? Or do you believe the cooling system works so well it handles the heat...but the heat still shows up higher in the exhaust?

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Question:
Did you also wrap your fuel tank? Or wasn't that as much of an issue?
Glad to hear of workable solutions being tried! :thumbup:
I honestly think that we just need to find "the next step" in the process. nojoke

It would seem to me that if you wrapped the pipes that heat would then be greatly reduced from getting to the gas tank.:dontknow:

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 07:48 AM
But it sure has generated lots of "frank discussions". :shocked:
Forums are what they are made, by the folks who are doing the talking...
I've only seen ONE forum that never fell into a two-sided scrap over an issue at one time or another; it was for an ATV brand that I really enjoyed. When folks found a problem; they'd bring it up (LOUDLY; at times :shocked:), and the rest of the gang would roll up their shirtsleeves, and get to it.
The apparent complexity of this one, is getting folks even MORE fturstrated. IF we can remember that we're all on the same side; WE can find the answers. It'd be great if BRP decides to come along for the ride; but I'm betting on the collective gray matter that exists right in here... nojoke

(While I stand back; out of the way! :opps:)

SilverSurfer
11-01-2013, 08:01 AM
I am the President of the Maryland Spyder Web (www.meetup.com/marylandspyderweb (http://www.meetup.com/marylandspyderweb)) and host a roster of over 100 ryders. Of those who participate in our rydes, we have a handful of '13 RT owners. ... RT and ST. The majority, including myself own model years '10-'12.

By 'more heat than light, I mean ... more heat (emotion) than light (information).

We've had one of our 13 owners develop heat problems, and indeed ... it caused him nightmares with failed components, including his parking break linkage/cable from heat. Tracking his problem, we have generally learned that **specific to the RT,** the 13 model year has some internal design features, architecture and components that were/are, believe it or not, pre-design for the '14s. I cannot get more specific to this, as I'm not a tech. I'm simply providing macro information. The point is, the differences between the '13s, and the '10s - 12's, respectively, are sufficient in terms of air flow, connections and heat resolution to cause the common problems noted by '13 owners. I cannot attribute why some of the 13 problems don't occur uniformly across the model year ... perhaps production run in the series ... dunno.

My understanding is that BRP is working on the problem, diligently and with as much precision as possible, to re-deliver '13 owners the same surety as 10-12 owners have enjoyed, despite the demons that popped from their model years too ... all resolved either by BRP or after-market. Someone said BRP is a young company; they're not. The Spyder is a 12-year old concept, seven years in design and five years on the street. BRP goes back to 1942. The 998 v-twin was and continues to be used in other platforms, to include the Aprilla 1000RSV racing bike, a KTM model and in one of BRP's ATV models.

Our decision, as Spyder owners is whether or not we will commit to the product, which most of us have, some of us haven't and my sympathies to those who've had problems. Those who have 'had enough' are welcome to exercise their decision through the market; I certainly understand the frustration that builds when one looks out the window at a $30K plus investment that has problems ... But vitriol between owners of one model year vs. 13's or any other model or model year, just doesn't sound like a reality to me. We're all in it together and should be helping each other with information, let alone civil dialogue with the only resolution ... the manufacturer, its technicians and dealer support-maintenance chain.

Respectfully ...

Paul

bscrive
11-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Earlier this year when my wife did her Spyder course for her license she wanted an STS really bad. She has a '09 GS. But, after hearing about the problems with the '13's she has decided that she will stick with her '09 for a few years until we hear that the heat issues are fixed. I know that most RT & ST owners are not having any problems but as we see it it is like playing Russian Roulette. There still is that chance of getting a bad one and I will not take the chance of spending 20k and getting a bad one. We just decided to make stuff for her Spyder so that she is more comfy on long rides. I really feel for those that have been having these problems with their bikes. If it was me I would probably be on the road in front of their head office protesting. I am only a couple of hours away from there. Hey maybe that would get their attention? All those that are having problems make a trip to their head office and protest. The media would be sure to show up. :thumbup:

JKMSPYDER
11-01-2013, 08:35 AM
What is so weird about the '13 heat issues is that some owners have high heat issues like boiling gas, hot gas caps, and hot seats and legs while others, like me, don't have these issues. I did have the melting MC cap and heat issues on my left leg on my ST-S, but these have been fixed by the recall and exhaust wrap and heat tape. I am no engineer or computer geek, but it sounds to me like a software issue on Spyders that have the severe heat. Hopefully the computer geeks at BRP can come up with a software fix to cool the Spyders down.

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Perhaps an ECM re-flash (software), coupled with heat barriers, fans, and some more venting (Hardware) are what is needed... :dontknow:

cuznjohn
11-01-2013, 08:46 AM
i am reading about mapping and ecu and epa, so aren't all bikes that come off the production line set up the same. you would figure that when in production motors are made the same way and when the ecu is mapped all of them have the same program installed, so why would one bike work fine with no heat issue and mine is so hot you can bake something in it. this is why i am confused. could it be that some ecu's have bad chips? all the body's are the same and all have the same amount of space for the motor. so that is why i think some people tolerate the heat better than others.

can someone with a bike that does not have a heat issue take temp readings of their bikes for us. i was running temps of 151 degrees at the gas cap and 170+ at the bottom vent on the right side with the bike warmed up and running with the fan on. so can someone with a good bike please take temp readings for us with problems

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Good idea! :2thumbs:
We need osme numbers, for comparative purposes...

3 Wheel Addict
11-01-2013, 09:12 AM
This sounds a little contradictory to me? If it was running lean wouldn't your temp gauge also run hotter? Or do you believe the cooling system works so well it handles the heat...but the heat still shows up higher in the exhaust?

Yes, I believe the cooling system has the capacity to handle the cooling of the engine very well. A lean burning or over advanced timing will promote hotter combustion temps and that will make the exhaust system hotter as well but the cooling system can handle the cylinder head temps but once the heat is in the pipes it can not be controlled anymore and relies on air movement over the pipes to control that extra heat. Air flow through the panels now may be ok for an ideal running motor but if that balance is tilted the airflow may not be enough.

spyder3
11-01-2013, 09:21 AM
But it sure has generated lots of "frank discussions". :shocked:
Forums are what they are made, by the folks who are doing the talking...
I've only seen ONE forum that never fell into a two-sided scrap over an issue at one time or another; it was for an ATV brand that I really enjoyed. When folks found a problem; they'd bring it up (LOUDLY; at times :shocked:), and the rest of the gang would roll up their shirtsleeves, and get to it.
The apparent complexity of this one, is getting folks even MORE fturstrated. IF we can remember that we're all on the same side; WE can find the answers. It'd be great if BRP decides to come along for the ride; but I'm betting on the collective gray matter that exists right in here... nojoke

(While I stand back; out of the way! :opps:)

Bob, the problem is we are not all on the same side. There are people with 2013 problems and those that support and are sympathetic to them. Then there are those that own a 2013 that have no issue, or claim to have no issues and can't understand why other 2013 owners are complaining. It's almost like they resent the accusation that the 2013 isn't a perfect bike and take it personal.

Then you have the ones who are tired of reading about the issues.

Well, heck thats an easy fix...STOP reading those threads and stop responding on them that your tired of reading about other peoples problems. Frankly, I'm tired of reading about how your tired of reading about other peoples real serious issues. Either stand behind these people and help get brp off there collective :cus:'s or leave them be. They have enough aggravation and money tied up in these machines and are getting no enjoyment out of them.

WE can find the answers. Really? I'll go with FB and hotglues collective experience along with other veterans who think differently. This is BRP's issue and collectively we are not all pulling together enough to make them do something about it. United we stand, divided we fall.

Magdave
11-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Good idea! :2thumbs:
We need osme numbers, for comparative purposes...
Bob you know I posted my numbers before and after the fixes I made. My problem is what is the end game? Sure I have lowered some of my temps but what will BRP allow us to do, what are they planning on doing without voiding the warranty? Is wrapping or ceramic coating the pipes allowable( my favorite solution) and will they pay for it? Dunno can't get a straight answer from BRP and my dealers tech is finishing Spyder school this week so how much can I trust them? As I said in a previous post at least BRP should let us talk to someone on their end that can talk nuts & bolts not case numbers and "see your dealer" answers. That is the most frustrating part to me. Some of us are pretty good wrenches and can do more and some already have. I am just sitting on my hands at this point because I do not want to do anything that might void the warranty if it causes something else to fail. There lies the frustration right at BRPs feet. I know (heard) they are working on a software solution but as mentioned by the Maryland Club this is more than that it is a test bed for the 14 hardware wise and software can only do so much. Where will we 2013 owners end up?:dontknow:

cuznjohn
11-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Bob, the problem is we are not all on the same side. There are people with 2013 problems and those that support and are sympathetic to them. Then there are those that own a 2013 that have no issue, or claim to have no issues and can't understand why other 2013 owners are complaining. It's almost like they resent the accusation that the 2013 isn't a perfect bike and take it personal.

Then you have the ones who are tired of reading about the issues.

Well, heck thats an easy fix...STOP reading those threads and stop responding on them that your tired of reading about other peoples problems. Frankly, I'm tired of reading about how your tired of reading about other peoples real serious issues. Either stand behind these people and help get brp off there collective :cus:'s or leave them be. They have enough aggravation and money tied up in these machines and are getting no enjoyment out of them.

WE can find the answers. Really? I'll go with FB and hotglues collective experience along with other veterans who think differently. This is BRP's issue and collectively we are not all pulling together enough to make them do something about it. United we stand, divided we fall.

this is why i am asking all the people that say they don't have issues to take temp readings for us that do. warm the engine up and take the readings at and around the gas cap and the upper and lower right side vent with the engine running and the fan on and off

Lamonster
11-01-2013, 09:35 AM
I guess it's time for me to jump in here. I too have a 2013 ST that runs hot, not motor hot but components hot. My right foot got so hot I couldn't keep it on the floor boards. Really surprised there has not been more complaints about that on the board. I've had to do a lot of work to mine to get it where I wanted to ride it. I've owned every make, model and year Spyder to date and the 2013 ST is the hottest of them all followed by my 2008. I really do feel bad for the folks that are having heat issues, I know if I couldn't work on my own bike I would be one of those people.

I will say that BRP does care and just because a fix has not happened soon enough for most of you that are having issues they are working on it. They are just as unhappy as you all, more so I would think seeing this has to have hurt the bottomline. At one time all we talked about here was the DPS and then it was the throttle bodies and now it's the heat. The DPS and the throttle body were real problems but are a thing of the past now. I'm sure we loss owners and members over those issues and we will most likely see some leave the product and the board over the heat issues. I hate that too but it is what it is and all I can do is to try and put it into perspective and hope for a good outcome. I'm confident there will be a resolve to these issues.

anthony422
11-01-2013, 09:36 AM
I went through this thread... I have a headache....lol Just purchased my 2013 RT Limited in August and I'm the kind of person who doesn't believe what they hear and less than half of what I see, that being said, I Love my RT even with the fact that I broke down twice on a brand new machine and yes my evaporator canister was damaged due to heat AFTER THE FIX.... the right foot thing don't bother me and the seat does make me feel like I peed my pants I wont give up on it. Did speak to BRP felt I needed to let them know, but I, my dealer, and BRP are not on the same page. BRP clearly has no answer at this time, my dealer wont do a thing unless BRP tells them to, I'm sure its all about who pays me, I get that. So I take short rides but will not wander far because I don't trust the machine, this is based on MY experience only and for sharing purposes only. Yes When you put a power plant into an enclosed situation you need vent, In my situation when the bike is moving I'm good..... When the bike is not, I become bad, I guess BRP will come up with a fix and I believe it will be a combination of software and Mechanical, I always suggested to connect a bilge blower in parallel to the existing fan so when that kicks in it will also discharge hot air out of the cavity, wrapping the pipes I believe will help also only because there is heat generated from the pipes also, heat rises and that's why you really feel it on the very top (glove box, gas tank...ect ) software wise how about kicking the fan on a bit earlier and leaving it on longer.......Its not what you expect when you pay big bucks for a vehicle, and I certainly understand there are recalls on every car I've owned so that does happen, but we are talking about being able to travel with comfort and safety for 30k I expect that .... Funny thing I still love my Spyder :yes:

spyder3
11-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Lamont, thanks for being honest about the heat issue. Your in a tough spot so i consider it a big deal for you to come forward. :clap:

Magdave
11-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Well Dave, my friend, you have a real talent for authoring divisive threads,
Just looking for answers Roger where there are none to be had. Really though I am trying to get less division and people need to quit defending the 2013 or complaining about people who post bad things about it.It may seem counterintuitive but some people are getting it. I offended one guy in this thread who is gonna put me on ignore. How by telling the truth and insulting his 2013? I am beginning to feel like Jack Nicholson. Geeze we certainly can't hurt the resale value BRP already did that for us. I just wanna take 1 cross country trip and feel like it will be fun and reliable. I do not have that feeling now and am not sure I will ever unless BRP comes up with hardware solutions not tinfoil. I will not go quietly into that goodnight.....By the way thanks for the Code that is some good work :thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
"Lamont, thanks for being honest about the heat issue. Your in a tough spot so i consider it a big deal for you to come forward. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/clap2.gif"

:agree: :clap:
Question(s): What would you suggest? Should folks try to make their own repairs (Hopefully getting some help from in here!)?
Do you think that BRP would void warranties if a person gets in under the Bodywork and makes changes?
(I realize that you don't speak for them; I'm just wondering what your experience with them would lead you to believe...)

Magdave
11-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Lamont, thanks for being honest about the heat issue. Your in a tough spot so i consider it a big deal for you to come forward. :clap:
+1 Thanks for your report Lamont I knew we weren't imagining it :thumbup:

MT Kevin
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
105 degrees at fuel cap.
98 degrees at point of seat.(crotch area.);)
169 degrees at radiator fan outlet.(air coming out on foot.):yikes:
this after 20 mile ride in 84 degree weather. The bike is still to hot for me but the customer does not mind it.

anthony422
11-01-2013, 09:54 AM
My dealer also told me that out of all his vendors... BRP cares the most, if it helps:clap: just don't threaten them they will get a lawyer quicker than you finding your pen

bluestratos
11-01-2013, 09:56 AM
It is good to hear that they are working on the 13's heat issue. To bad they would not take a good look a the other models, I have the block off plate, the cat guard and the lower splash removed and my right foot continues to get baked on a warm day. I am in the process right now off wrapping the pipes, getting the cat out and installing insulation/reflective blankets any where I can get them to try to reduce the "hot seat" and "thigh" roast.

gottago
11-01-2013, 09:57 AM
I have a 2013 RTS and have had very few issues (guess I'm the lucky one). Only issues I've had are
1. rear tire burned out at 8700 miles( no big deal) Have already talked with dealer and tech ( doughnuts help with the service dept)I do have a Kuhmo waiting for me when Spring comes by, that'll be first trip. 2. heat fix had no real heat problems before fix. 3. bad Purge valve- replaced all is good now. 4. Had a little challenge with bike doing the snake dance going at hwy speed 70+. That was straightened out with a BaJa Ron sway bar. These are the only things I've had(so far). The one thing I did do that I'll bet 80% of the people buying don't do is, I had salesman contact BRP and had a Build sheet sent to dealer before I picked up bike. Salesman was told if bike was started on a Monday or on a Friday I wont be buying it, and I have to see the build sheet. It was started on a Tuesday May21 and finished on a Thursday May 23rd, Now, Some may call BS on the build sheet thing but I feel it works I don't think it matters what you buy ie: Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc., what I've noticed is if it's built on a Monday or Friday you'll(maybe) have issues. have had it happen throughout my short 63 yrs. There was a period of time (in my past) that I traded vehicles ever year in March. I only had one bad (Chevy) and sure enough it was started on a Monday. --- Just my two(three) cents worth for what it's worth. I love my bike and am having a ball on in( fair weather only- hehehe). I am so sorry for those of you that are having major issues with their bikes, I hope BRP unplugs their heads from their B***s. good luck to all.:rolleyes::yes:

Magdave
11-01-2013, 09:58 AM
105 degrees at fuel cap.
98 degrees at point of seat.(crotch area.);)
169 degrees at radiator fan outlet.(air coming out on foot.):yikes:
this after 20 mile ride in 84 degree weather. The bike is still to hot for me but the customer does not mind it.
Those are actually pretty good numbers close to what I have since I insulated everything. My cap was 135 and crotch 120 before I did some insulating. Fan is actually a little higher than mine I get 150-160 but might be device differences.

Pirate looks at --
11-01-2013, 10:16 AM
I guess it's time for me to jump in here. I too have a 2013 ST that runs hot, not motor hot but components hot. My right foot got so hot I couldn't keep it on the floor boards. Really surprised there has not been more complaints about that on the board. I've had to do a lot of work to mine to get it where I wanted to ride it. I've owned every make, model and year Spyder to date and the 2013 ST is the hottest of them all followed by my 2008. I really do feel bad for the folks that are having heat issues, I know if I couldn't work on my own bike I would be one of those people.

I will say that BRP does care and just because a fix has not happened soon enough for most of you that are having issues they are working on it. They are just as unhappy as you all, more so I would think seeing this has to have hurt the bottomline. At one time all we talked about here was the DPS and then it was the throttle bodies and now it's the heat. The DPS and the throttle body were real problems but are a thing of the past now. I'm sure we loss owners and members over those issues and we will most likely see some leave the product and the board over the heat issues. I hate that too but it is what it is and all I can do is to try and put it into perspective and hope for a good outcome. I'm confident there will be a resolve to these issues.
Lamont, thanks for checking in on this. I know your input is respected. I am either a very lucky 13 RT owner or a very naive one, but I don't appear to have the serious issues that others have had. My canister was melted slightly but that was it. On very long rides in very hot conditions my butt gets hot, but not enough to get off the bike. I have a blast ryding. You say that BRP is working on a fix! and everybody wants to believe you! and I do believe you. They asked us to do a survey and most of us obliged, but we have not heard anything from them. I think the negative tone on this board would be abated by some sort of communication from BRP. Just a letter to all owners stating that we are working on some "upgrades to the 13 models" would calm a lot of people down. I for one am going to Ryde the :cus: off my Spyder because I love it, and we are thinking about buying another one. But I think if BRP is indeed working on something, then they need to speak up. Don't you think so?

spyder3
11-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Lamont, thanks for checking in on this. I know your input is respected. I am either a very lucky 13 RT owner or a very naive one, but I don't appear to have the serious issues that others have had. My canister was melted slightly but that was it. On very long rides in very hot conditions my butt gets hot, but not enough to get off the bike. I have a blast ryding. You say that BRP is working on a fix! and everybody wants to believe you! and I do believe you. They asked us to do a survey and most of us obliged, but we have not heard anything from them. I think the negative tone on this board would be abated by some sort of communication from BRP. Just a letter to all owners stating that we are working on some "upgrades to the 13 models" would calm a lot of people down. I for one am going to Ryde the :cus: off my Spyder because I love it, and we are thinking about buying another one. But I think if BRP is indeed working on something, then they need to speak up. Don't you think so?

Pirate, i'm glad you are happy enough with your spyder and can ride it. However, you did have the serious issues others are complaining about. Your canister melted, meaning its VERY hot....isnt that really the entire issue? Your bike is running hot enough to melt components:dontknow: What would have happened if you rode further, or in hotter weather...:dontknow:

100% agree, The lack of communication is really an issue.

3 Wheel Addict
11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Those are actually pretty good numbers close to what I have since I insulated everything. My cap was 135 and crotch 120 before I did some insulating. Fan is actually a little higher than mine I get 150-160 but might be device differences.

That's what I was thinking to, those are some temps that aren't too bad. Last time I went to the dealer I had the service writer come out and check mine as soon as I arrived there. He logged a temp of 153 on the cap and I made sure they put that on the work order. I do not even check the temp at the radiator.

Vrooom
11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, all Spyder owners, with or without heat problems,will benefit from aiding those with issues. These are very expensive toys that we do enjoy riding and we must join together to see that our ride is safe. So far, we have approached the problems as individuals. That rarely works when confronting any powerful organization. I own a 2013 rt without issues to date, however, I am more than willing to assist those who are experiencing problems. I could be next.
BRP cares. How do we know that? They left a thread and post where you could state your 2cents and feel better. But, that is all you will get from them without action. What kind of action depends on us. Let's face it, considering the price of our toys,many of us have probably been owners and management, not unionizers. So, are we upset enough to stage a ryde in at Co. hdqrs or picket dealers with poor service? Actions speak louder than words.

KAPike
11-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I have nothing but sympathy for the 2013 owners. I sat on the sidelines watching the post here about the RT problems through most of 2011. I wanted to buy a Spyder for a year before I pulled the trigger on a 2012. Finally last summer I realized it was what it was and I felt like I could "fix" the RT problems with the aftermarket support here. I have spent $1000 of dollars fixing what I felt were the weakness in my 2012. (Shocks, Swaybar, Block Off Plates, Belt Tensioner, Third Brake Light, Corbin Seat, Floorboards, ect...) I'm encouraged to see what people are doing with the exhaust wrap and I'm going to do that this winter. Will it make a huge difference...I don't know, but it's worth a run at it.

Having said all that, best wishes to the 2013 owners, don't give up on looking for heat solutions, but in the same breath, don't expect BRP to fix it for you.

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Having said all that, best wishes to the 2013 owners, don't give up on looking for heat solutions, but in the same breath, don't expect BRP to fix it for you.

:agree: :2thumbs: Well said... :clap:

Pirate looks at --
11-01-2013, 11:05 AM
[/B]

Pirate, i'm glad you are happy enough with your spyder and can ride it. However, you did have the serious issues others are complaining about. Your canister melted, meaning its VERY hot....isnt that really the entire issue? Your bike is running hot enough to melt components:dontknow: What would have happened if you rode further, or in hotter weather...:dontknow:

100% agree, The lack of communication is really an issue.

well it was pretty long 800 miles, and 108, when I brought it in for the recall. :roflblack:

jerpinoy
11-01-2013, 11:22 AM
This forum help me understand the other things that I don't know. This is the place my frustation is vented. Humors and Jokes help me get through the day.

SORRY if you have enough of these, but the intention is to lighten up and share the good stuff we have in common:spyder2:.

This forum is like a food buffet to me. I eat only that I like and ignore the rest.

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Me too! :2thumbs: Only ALL of the food gets...tasted! :D

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Yes, I believe the cooling system has the capacity to handle the cooling of the engine very well. A lean burning or over advanced timing will promote hotter combustion temps and that will make the exhaust system hotter as well but the cooling system can handle the cylinder head temps but once the heat is in the pipes it can not be controlled anymore and relies on air movement over the pipes to control that extra heat. Air flow through the panels now may be ok for an ideal running motor but if that balance is tilted the airflow may not be enough.

OldCowboy
11-01-2013, 03:52 PM

So, what is your cap and crotch temp since you've done the insulating? And what/where did you insulate? This is the kind of information we need to know. Air temp coming off the radiator is pretty immaterial since it's controlled more by the ambient temp and thermostat than anything else.

CincySpyder posted today that he'd installed a fan that kept his under-tupperware temps at ambient temperature. That's the kind of mod that should help you.

Pirate looks at --
11-01-2013, 04:24 PM
So, what is your cap and crotch temp since you've done the insulating? And what/where did you insulate? This is the kind of information we need to know. Air temp coming off the radiator is pretty immaterial since it's controlled more by the ambient temp and thermostat than anything else.

CincySpyder posted today that he'd installed a fan that kept his under-tupperware temps at ambient temperature. That's the kind of mod that should help you.

:cus: Just checked my crotch temperature and it all the way up to 98.6:banghead:

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Question: Was this reading taken by you, or a trained medical professional?? :D 78501

mindman
11-01-2013, 05:50 PM

:agree: 100%

If available where you live, Lemon Laws should be invoked for sure!
If not....keep the pressure on!
It would be very interesting to know just how many sales BRP has lost as a result of people reading this website. Since it is one of the largest - if not THE largest Spyder oriented website, my guess is that they've lost a LOT of potential buyers.

Magdave
11-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Cap holds around 100 I had the dealer use some of the same stuff on the inner panels foam aluminum from a wrecked spyder all around the black plastic around the cap, crotch mid 90s and latch hole ( I used DEI tape to close it) 90. I also did inside and under the glove box with DEI and it is only a little warm now I have always had a folded microfiber towel in it to hold my garage door remote in place and insulate it. Gas tank was done with DEI 1500deg tape.I read about his blower and it could be doable I like the idea of running a relay from the radiator fan. I just do not want to start butchering anything till I am sure BRP is done doing anything to address the heat issues. I am sure Lamont will let us all know when that is. I can live with mine as is for now but will need to do something by next summer. The trouble really is I have deflected the heat from my body but it is still there and heating something else up. My gas no longer boils AFIK but since the tank is no longer a heat sink it has to go somewhere else. That is my long term worry. Something needs to be done to the headers IMHO and I believe BRP should be addressing that. Even then that will cause more heat downstream so what damage will that cause :dontknow: Every action has a reaction and I DO NOT want to do anything that they may void my warranty for which is why I had the dealer do the insulating. If BRP decides to do that then I will get reimbursed. I believe they had FB's bike done I do not know if they paid for hers maybe she could tell us.

Notice above the filler hole you will see some foam/aluminum insulation on the frame under the crotch area on previous years there was some in that area but not on the 2013.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77244&d=1381170561 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77243)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77243&d=1381170547 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77242)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77242&d=1381170532 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77241)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77241&d=1381170518 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77240)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77240&d=1381170506 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=74844)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77246&d=1381170582 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77245)

I re did the latch after the next picture and got the temp down more. These temps wer all taken on a 90+ day within 5min after I got off. I wish I had taken pics of the pre temps more but I saw my cap at 155 one time and heard the boiling.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77245&d=1381170572 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77244)

Jeriatric
11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
:agree: 100%

If available where you live, Lemon Laws should be invoked for sure!
If not....keep the pressure on!
It would be very interesting to know just how many sales BRP has lost as a result of people reading this website. Since it is one of the largest - if not THE largest Spyder oriented website, my guess is that they've lost a LOT of potential buyers.

Lets hope that's not the case. Would much prefer a potential buyer would become better informed and use the knowledge gained here to make an informed decision. jm2c

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 06:24 PM
:agree: We're most likely not best-served, by creating an adversarial relationship at this time...

Rockwall
11-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Owners of 2013's have major problems and that is horrible. Would it be a good idea to create a new heading on Spyderlovers for 2013 issues? This would better organize issues for those that need help and us "lucky" 2012 and earlier people.

Just thinking...

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 06:43 PM
:cus: Just checked my crotch temperature and it all the way up to 98.6:banghead:

You have a hot crotch dude :gay:

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Owners of 2013's have major problems and that is horrible. Would it be a good idea to create a new heading on Spyderlovers for 2013 issues? This would better organize issues for those that need help and us "lucky" 2012 and earlier people.

Just thinking...

Please quit saying 2013 owners like it is all of us, it seems to be "some" RT owners and maybe 2-3 ST owners. :(

Magdave
11-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Please quit saying 2013 owners like it is all of us, it seems to be "some" RT owners and maybe 2-3 ST owners. :(

We will see if you are barking the same tune next summer if a fix doesn't come out :roflblack: You came to the party late :thumbup:

MouthPiece
11-01-2013, 07:20 PM
​I agree with SNOOPY.

poordom
11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Good evening All,

Well after being off the forum for a little while, I just couldn't stay away any longer.

I have read most of the recent complaints, and I fully sympathize with all that have had and that are still having problems with your Spyders, non standing of the year they were constructed.

I figured I would stay away since some people took offence to my constaint complaining about BRP, but then I figured that I had as much right being here than the others.

We, that have problems are happy and envious of the folks that enjoy and have no problems or complaints with your Spyders, you in turn should understand how frustrated and anoyed at the lack of response or positive feedback BRP is provides us.

Its a bloody joke, again I will sound like a **** disturber, honestly at this point I don't give a damn, if you are not with us and support our complaints then you are against us, and hopefully all the guys that are buying 2014 models have no problems with your machines, otherwise your complaints may also fall on deaf ears.

Now to all of you that are having any type of problems as minor or major they may be, we should stick together and prepare to comfront BRP with our issues.

My recommendation is that we prepare a list of names with addresses, and problems and look at the possibility of a CLASS ACTION. that is all BRP needs with a new 2014 in production.

For some reason the last time I started rocking the boat and got everyone anoyed at me, we had some action from Steve at BRP, this time lets regroup and go way up the latter, in my book it is obvious by now, that these people assume we are all yahoos with no gults to persue these issues any further.

Maybe by regrouping in this fashion, the 2014 line will either be produced with a much higher quality control or the line will fail under presure of the existing unsatisfied customers.

I think it is time to S**t or get off the pot, they are ignoring us, so lets make sure we do something to catch their attention, maybe start writting articles to your local new paper or favorite motorcycle magazine explaing in detail the problems that a great number of us are having, or catch tsome TV anchor people, or even look at boycotting or even better showing up at event prepared by BRP passing out list of problems like Spyders catching fire, etc.

We got to do what we got to do.

Who ever wants in, please send me your suggestions and comments, via private e-mail maybe we can get thing done.

Its time to go ahead with real action.

Enough of the BS and lack of action.

Dom

flamingobabe
11-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Lamont...I appreciate that you posted this information...and I believe BRP wants to fix the problems plaguing some 2013's...but just doesn't know how.....I'm waiting and working with BRP...but I don't complain about the hot right foot, because I can move the foot...the only time I can't move it is stop and go traffic and you just suffer....if someone complains...then they don't wear the right shoes...etc...easier not to complain.....try to only complain about melting/ deteriorating parts and engine problems

" I've had to do a lot of work to mine to get it where I wanted to ride it. " What have you done to help create a better ride?

coz
11-01-2013, 08:25 PM
i'm not trying to be an ass, but if i had this problem, i would take a panel off of each side and ride it like that until a real solution is found. at least you'll still be riding.

flamingobabe
11-01-2013, 08:55 PM
I ride my Spyder....if it quits while I'm riding ....I'll call someone to help

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 09:20 PM
We will see if you are barking the same tune next summer if a fix doesn't come out :roflblack: You came to the party late :thumbup:

I've riden my bike here when it was pretty hot out, it was warm but not unbearable. I think it's normal for what it is.

I don't think my bike is that hot.

If it gets too hot for me, I will try a fix.

Why should I expect BRP to do something about my comfort?

If there is a code thrown or a safety issue, I believe they will step in.

Otherwise I will continue to enjoy my ride.

If you hate the ride sell it and move on, quit your freaking bitching. Sheesh.

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Seems to be a crap shoot as far as which vehicle does what? My ST-S does fine, no real heat problem...though it does get a little warm at times. :thumbup:

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 09:26 PM
​I agree with SNOOPY.

:D

Magdave
11-01-2013, 09:30 PM
I've riden my bike here when it was pretty hot out, it was warm but not unbearable. I think it's normal for what it is.

I don't think my bike is that hot.

If it gets too hot for me, I will try a fix.

Why should I expect BRP to do something about my comfort?

If there is a code thrown or a safety issue, I believe they will step in.

Otherwise I will continue to enjoy my ride.

If you hate the ride sell it and move on, quit your freaking bitching. Sheesh.

And if you have nothing to add you can move on and quit padding your post count you are never gonna catch Bob anyway Sheesh :popcorn:

Magdave
11-01-2013, 09:31 PM
I ride my Spyder....if it quits while I'm riding ....I'll call someone to help
FB what did BRP tell your dealer was OK to do on your bike like the insulation?

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 09:34 PM
And if you have nothing to add you can move on and quit padding your post count you are never gonna catch Bob anyway Sheesh :popcorn:

Dang it, you caught on to me. LOL

jlt31971
11-01-2013, 09:45 PM
​I wonder what percent of 2013 have problems vs. 2013 without problems. I have a 2013 ST-S with just over 5000 miles and have no problems at all, I did get a laser alignment done and it does drive better now but I don't think it was really a problem before. We hear a lot of the bad but how many are like me and have no issues.

Magdave
11-01-2013, 09:49 PM
​I wonder what percent of 2013 have problems vs. 2013 without problems. I have a 2013 ST-S with just over 5000 miles and have no problems at all, I did get a laser alignment done and it does drive better now but I don't think it was really a problem before. We hear a lot of the bad but how many are like me and have no issues.
That is the million dollar question The recent poll on here showed a little over 100 2013 owners and 50% said they had moderate to severe heat issues. We don't even know how many 2013 owners use the site and what about the thousands that do not know about it. At least 1/2 the few owners I have met do not know about this site including my dealerships techs.:dontknow:

Peoriafirefighter
11-01-2013, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=hotglue;714839]Well.... I have stayed off the board for a couple weeks, because I didn't have anything nice to say about FB's spyder...and I know how some of you like to hear NOTHING but 'good' about the spyders..... well... that is over. I'm PISSED. We did pay the price of admission.... and paid for up front seating.... but we will not see the show.... we are stuck behind a pole and can not see the stage.... and those that got good seating say we are at fault because we are not enjoying the program....some times it's best to just walk out of the show.... but at this point, if I have to push and upset some of the sensitive folks to get to see the show... well.. girth up.... BRP will need to make this right, Or you kind folks will NEVER hear the end of it. Flame suit on... take your best shot... but if ya shoot... be prepared for incoming.

Sure feel you an Flamingo Lady's pain. You are spot on with your answer. I'll keep both our Spyders for short distance riding but for the kind of touring that you and Flamibgo Lady do, I will be riding my Goldwing Trike. I want a bike I have confidence in and not worry about being stuck in Albuquerque again or anywhere else. I sure hope you get the response from BRP that you and the others deserve.

SNOOPY
11-01-2013, 09:55 PM
That is the million dollar question The recent poll on here showed a little over 100 2013 owners and 50% said they had moderate to severe heat issues. We don't even know how many 2013 owners use the site and what about the thousands that do not know about it. At least 1/2 the few owners I have met do not know about this site including my dealerships techs.:dontknow:

Again, I'm a 2013 owner and didn't vote in the poll. :shocked:

Maybe it's flawed.

otter28169
11-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I have been out of the loop for a bit, but here I am to save the day!!! Maybe not but I gotta get in on this. MagDave: I gotta take exception to a couple things you posted. I ride a 2012 RS-S and I am extremely upset about the goings on with the 2013 owners: I will not be "hating on you". I also ride Ski-Doo snowmobiles, the design is nothing like a sled even though the ride is similar. BRP is dealing with things the way they have in the past. In the late 1990's Ski-doo released a purple sled with a brand new rear suspension called the "ARC system". My brother traded in his sled and got one. Before it had 500 miles on it he had named the sled "Jumpin Jesus", and had stated several times " you can either stay on it through the bumps or ride it through the corners". Instead of fixing the sled, they made drastic changes to the next years models. Bombardier sits on the newest best stuff until they need it to boost sales. Hence the reason drastic model changes are made several years apart. The 2014s are sporting some of the stuff they had planned to save for the future, but the model you have has not been changed. Last, but not least, the run away toyota thing was greatly exaggerated in the media. It is amazing what a little influence can do in this country. One question, is the heat issue found in the 2013 RS models? If not, maybe there is something there worth looking into?

I did notice one thing: your picture in your signature is in poor taste for a 2103 owner. Just kidding, it is kinda ironic though.

Magdave
11-01-2013, 10:08 PM
I have been out of the loop for a bit, but here I am to save the day!!! Maybe not but I gotta get in on this. MagDave: I gotta take exception to a couple things you posted. I ride a 2012 RS-S and I am extremely upset about the goings on with the 2013 owners: I will not be "hating on you". I also ride Ski-Doo snowmobiles, the design is nothing like a sled even though the ride is similar. BRP is dealing with things the way they have in the past. In the late 1990's Ski-doo released a purple sled with a brand new rear suspension called the "ARC system". My brother traded in his sled and got one. Before it had 500 miles on it he had named the sled "Jumpin Jesus", and had stated several times " you can either stay on it through the bumps or ride it through the corners". Instead of fixing the sled, they made drastic changes to the next years models. Bombardier sits on the newest best stuff until they need it to boost sales. Hence the reason drastic model changes are made several years apart. The 2014s are sporting some of the stuff they had planned to save for the future, but the model you have has not been changed. Last, but not least, the run away toyota thing was greatly exaggerated in the media. It is amazing what a little influence can do in this country. One question, is the heat issue found in the 2013 RS models? If not, maybe there is something there worth looking into?

Just sayin'............

The issues mainly are RT/ST related and the 2013 DOES have changes to it that were made for the 2014 The suspension is the 2014 suspension and several components were moved those are the ones that were melting. The movement of those may have decreased air flow. The bottom pans are different than the 2010-12 too.

The sig is SUPPOSED to be ironic. If anyone ever gets hurt by a fire I will pull it but luckily no one has so far.

Magdave
11-01-2013, 10:17 PM
You know guys and gals I do not hate my bike I really do have a love hate relations ship with it. I hate the problems and feeble fixes so far but really like to ride it ( except I know the alignment is off but I am waiting for Outlaw to come my way), love the way it looks I have to look back at it every time I walk away from it sorta like the Corvettes I have owned. I just want it to be able to take me to the Grand Canyon safely without breakdowns. I am not sure that is possible yet so I keep within my 200mi. BEST towing limit. I REALLY would rather not have to do that. Face it back in the day you could fix a bike on the side of the road not this one.

OldCowboy
11-01-2013, 11:42 PM
For those who are interested, Power Commander (http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommanders.aspx?mk=1&mdl=91&yr=2013&pc=25-010&mk-n=Bombardier&mdl-n=CanAm%20Spyder%20RT/RTS/ST&pc-ver=PCV&add-mdlyrid=25-010&add-mdlyrid2=25-010&fullstr=25-010&prod-type=Powercommander%20V%20%28Fuel%20and%20Ignition %29) now has units for 2013 Spyders.

2spyders
11-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I've been gone from here for a long time - since the same craziness over the dps on the 2008s, and I see that people still feel very passionately on all sides of the issue.

For the record, I was a happy 2008 owner, even with dps issues, but traded it in on a 2010 as soon as the warranty was up. I was an ecstatic 2010 RSS owner, and I am now a happy 2013 ST-Ltd owner, even with some heat on my left leg, but not as bad as it was on the 2008.

i've also just bought a new Cadillac ATS and spend a lot of time on their forum now. There are Cadillac customer service reps active - really active - on that forum and they have been really responsive to some issues that have come up on this brand new model. My point is that Can Am/Brp could learn something from that. What could have turned into the same kind of nightmare that some of you are dealing with, has been handled in a civilized, quick, and (it seems) effective manner.

Jeriatric
11-02-2013, 12:31 AM
I don't complain about the hot right foot, because I can move the foot...the only time I can't move it is stop and go traffic and you just suffer....if someone complains...then they don't wear the right shoes...etc..

I do not have a 13 spyder, but, I do understand the problems you and others have.

It's unfortunate to hear the door doesn't swing BOTH ways with you. Or, you would be more understanding of people who wear the right 'boots' don't wear a size 4 shoe, and continue to try to resolve the right foot heat issue.

Speaking for myself. I find your comment offensive and narrow minded.

I thought long and hard before writing this response. But, could not, not respond to what I interpreted as a cheap shot.

Hope your issues are resolved sooner rather than later.

SpyderMouse22
11-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Magdave...oh how I know how you feel....I did not post for a few days because I got tired of defending myself....I am not a whiner ...I had a 2009 RS that I put about $7000 into to make it a touring bike...put 54,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years...I loved that bike and had no more than general maintenance ....had the clutch replaced...dps....but this 2013 ST is a nightmare...afraid to ride it....but I've come to a place that I'm working with BRP...hopefully good things will happen.....I always have a Lemon-law....but no one understands the 2013's except for owners and the technically inclined, thanks to my husband, Mark...I believe.this bike is going to blow a piston, burn to the ground, melt all plastic and rubber parts, a lean machine does not last long, I'm replacing the 2nd purge valve next week, it clatters and shakes and sounds like the engine is going to fall apart on cold take-off and reverse, hot air at gas tank...measured the other day...181 degrees just behind gas cap...I have the gas tank covered in 1/4" ceramic heat shield protection....what's up with that....this bike is not going to last very long and going to be a constant problem.....BRP will not hear the end of it until I have another bike.....I could go on...but I will stop...flame away....I got my Big Girl Pants On

My 2013 ST Limited is one of the sort of ok bikes. Some heat issues and some steering issues. I don't complain much on the board about it but i do get information. What makes me angry with BRP that even the things that could be fixed were hard to find out about. Here is an example. Steering problems aren't only limited to bad alignment but the bad shock problem. You can get free shocks if you complain under 1800 miles. Isn't that nice.Steering issues also got left behind because of the heat problems. I will fight to the end to make my bike right knowing that it is a losing battle. One last thing some should think about. paying 30K to be a beta tester is not a fun thing. 2014 RTs maybe you don't want to go buy one so fast. I would take some of the issues with the 2013s and wait on those 2014s to see what happens. Now that i have said my piece back to the battle with the dealer tomorrow about my bike issues.The class of 2013 bikes with issues is not going to ever be forgotten or go away.

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 07:05 AM
You know guys and gals I do not hate my bike I really do have a love hate relations ship with it. I hate the problems and feeble fixes so far but really like to ride it ( except I know the alignment is off but I am waiting for Outlaw to come my way), love the way it looks I have to look back at it every time I walk away from it sorta like the Corvettes I have owned.
They ARE addictive; aren't they? :D

Dave,
You've been pretty vocal about your problems... AND your attempts to placate them! :2thumbs: That is EXACTLY what is needed right now. :clap:
To the Trekkers out there...
Remember the old Klingon proverb; "Only a fool fights inside a burning house."

Let's work together to solve this; we can fight over tire pressures/helmet usage/oil brands later! nojoke

cuznjohn
11-02-2013, 07:26 AM
For those who are interested, Power Commander (http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommanders.aspx?mk=1&mdl=91&yr=2013&pc=25-010&mk-n=Bombardier&mdl-n=CanAm%20Spyder%20RT/RTS/ST&pc-ver=PCV&add-mdlyrid=25-010&add-mdlyrid2=25-010&fullstr=25-010&prod-type=Powercommander%20V%20%28Fuel%20and%20Ignition %29) now has units for 2013 Spyders.

just what would the power commander do for our bikes. i have looked into them and even put one on my triumph and never noticed a difference. can someone explain how it could help a bike with heat problems, i would think to keep the bike running right it would be built into the software of the ecu

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 07:36 AM
We're kicking around this idea, without determining if the bikes (Char's excluded) ARE in fact running lean enough to be a part of the problem...:shocked:
If the ECM can be shown to have a "programming problem"; perhaps these units might be able to richen the mix up enough to help...
But I've also heard that the dealer can also reflash the ECM; does that make enough of a change to help?? :dontknow:
More investigation of this option might be useful. :thumbup:

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 08:12 AM
You know guys and gals I do not hate my bike I really do have a love hate relations ship with it. I hate the problems and feeble fixes so far but really like to ride it ( except I know the alignment is off but I am waiting for Outlaw to come my way), love the way it looks I have to look back at it every time I walk away from it sorta like the Corvettes I have owned. I just want it to be able to take me to the Grand Canyon safely without breakdowns. I am not sure that is possible yet so I keep within my 200mi. BEST towing limit. I REALLY would rather not have to do that. Face it back in the day you could fix a bike on the side of the road not this one.

It it would really suck not trusting a vehicle to travel very far. :(

That's why I don't buy GM products as well. :)

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 08:19 AM
We're kicking around this idea, without determining if the bikes (Char's excluded) ARE in fact running lean enough to be a part of the problem...:shocked:
If the ECM can be shown to have a "programming problem"; perhaps these units might be able to richen the mix up enough to help...
But I've also heard that the dealer can also reflash the ECM; does that make enough of a change to help?? :dontknow:
More investigation of this option might be useful. :thumbup:

"If" BRP found some of this to be an ECM software problem, it would be super easy to send the file to a dealer to reflash..."if" the dealer had the capability to.

I know car dealerships do this all the time, usually re flashing for safety type settings like airbag sensitivity or throttle sensitivity, etc etc

hchays
11-02-2013, 08:37 AM
I think it is great that there is a forum that people can talk about the issues that they have with thier Spyders. The problem that I have is everyone talks about RT's and ST's but what about the RS's? I feel like the RS owners are the ugly step children of the Spyder community IMO. I spend a lot of money on my 2013 RS and have heat issues too. It is basically the same design as the ST so why wouldn't we? I don't post on a lot of the "complaint forums" because people seem to exclude us RS owners. No we did not spend $25,000 but we spent enough to buy damn near any other motorcycle on the market and still choose to get screwed by BRP just like everyone else. Enough of that rant...... As I stated I have a 2013 RS with heat issues also. I have made a couple of mods that have helped the situation, but it still pisses me off that I would spend this kind of money to have an issue that does not seem to be a major concern of BRP. Not only that but the fact that BRP has such an obviously poor dealer system. Yes there are some good dealers out there that will do what is right for the customer. If you have one of those dealer congrats! However from what I see a lot of the dealers could not care less about customer service. There are a lot of dealers that don't even want to work on Spyders unless they were bought from them (I have personal experience with that). While Spyder shopping I had a co-owner of a dealership tell me that I know we (the dealership) are not the cheapest but "if I wanted them to service my Spyder I'd better take care of the dealer". Needless to say I did not buy from them, but in hind sight that should have been my sign to buy something else. How can BRP possibly think they are going to build a business with that kind of support? I can honestly say that I will not buy another Spyder unless some BIG changes are made nor will I recommend it to anyone. I'm not here to upset anyone (other than BRP), but this is how I and I think many other Spyder owners feel.

flamingobabe
11-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I do not have a 13 spyder, but, I do understand the problems you and others have.

It's unfortunate to hear the door doesn't swing BOTH ways with you. Or, you would be more understanding of people who wear the right 'boots' don't wear a size 4 shoe, and continue to try to resolve the right foot heat issue.

Speaking for myself. I find your comment offensive and narrow minded.

I thought long and hard before writing this response. But, could not, not respond to what I interpreted as a cheap shot.

Hope your issues are resolved sooner rather than later.

Jerbear...I don't understand...what I was trying to say is if someone complains about comfort issues..(feet too hot)..it seems others speak up and say if you wear the right protection you would not experience the hot foot....I wear boots that protect...but if someone wants to wear tennis shoes/flip flops they should be able to....without others telling them they should wear boots that protect....my comment was maybe to general....sorry if I sounded offensive and narrow minded...was not my intent

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Jerbear...I don't understand...what I was trying to say is if someone complains about comfort issues..(feet too hot)..it seems others speak up and say if you wear the right protection you would not experience the hot foot....I wear boots that protect...but if someone wants to wear tennis shoes/flip flops they should be able to....without others telling them they should wear boots that protect....my comment was maybe to general....sorry if I sounded offensive and narrow minded...was not my intent

From BRPs standpoint they should have designed the bike to be tolerable for people wearing anything from flipflops to boots. ;)

flamingobabe
11-02-2013, 08:57 AM
FB what did BRP tell your dealer was OK to do on your bike like the insulation?

Remember when we did this with BRP....we had found a melted master cylinder.....in June...it was July before we got to PitBull Powersports to work on the Spyder....
1. wrapped pipes with 2" DEI exhaust tape from auto parts store
2. wrapped gas tank, brake cables with 1/4" ceramic heat reflective sheets
3. installed a new protective 6" stainless steel heat shield that is taller than master cylinder
4. used stainless steel clamps

Jeriatric
11-02-2013, 09:09 AM

And obviously I have become more than a wee bit touchy about the subject. :opps: Beverages are on me the next time we meet.

billybovine
11-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I drive my 2013 ST Limited in running shoes all the time no matter the conditions. I have driven in shorts a few times. At first the heat from under the seat was awful, but after a hour of labour and a roll of closed cell foam rubber weather stripping from the hardware store, that problem was solved. When the recall was done no melted parts found. So I have rode over 9,000 miles without really much of a heat issue except from under the left side of the seat that I fixed. Of course it's hot you are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine. I am not having the problems Flamingobabe is having and I feel that BRP needs to step up and fix her Spyder. I understand and accept that others are having heat problems and hope that BRP comes up with fix soon. What I don't understand is why when someone like me says they are not having a heat problem this is considered unacceptable and not a valid comment. A good example of this is when Snoopy commented he was not having heat problems. A excuse was made that his opinion did not count. He may be a dog but appears to be a smart one.

The definition of Spyderlovers insanity is starting a new thread every couple days on the same topic and expecting a different answer.

Magdave
11-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Remember when we did this with BRP....we had found a melted master cylinder.....in June...it was July before we got to PitBull Powersports to work on the Spyder....
1. wrapped pipes with 2" DEI exhaust tape from auto parts store
2. wrapped gas tank, brake cables with 1/4" ceramic heat reflective sheets
3. installed a new protective 6" stainless steel heat shield that is taller than master cylinder
4. used stainless steel clamps

I remember but wanted to make sure BRP was in the loop with what you did especially the exhaust. Did you pay for it or did BRP? If you did I am sure you have (or should have ) gotten reimbursed after the recall for some (if not all ) of what you did since it was obviously part of what BRP did on the recall.Thanks for your response.

Magdave
11-02-2013, 10:04 AM
I drive my 2013 ST Limited in running shoes all the time no matter the conditions. I have driven in shorts a few times. At first the heat from under the seat was awful, but after a hour of labour and a roll of closed cell foam rubber weather stripping from the hardware store, that problem was solved. When the recall was done no melted parts found. So I have rode over 9,000 miles without really much of a heat issue except from under the left side of the seat that I fixed. Of course it's hot you are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine. I am not having the problems Flamingobabe is having and I feel that BRP needs to step up and fix her Spyder. I understand and accept that others are having heat problems and hope that BRP comes up with fix soon. What I don't understand is why when someone like me says they are not having a heat problem this is considered unacceptable and not a valid comment. A good example of this is when Snoopy commented he was not having heat problems. A excuse was made that his opinion did not count. He may be a dog but appears to be a smart one.

The definition of Spyderlovers insanity is starting a new thread every couple days on the same topic and expecting a different answer.
That was a joke between me and Snoop I think he got it. If not I apologize.

schnauzermom
11-02-2013, 12:32 PM
"The definition of Spyderlovers insanity is starting a new thread every couple days on the same topic and expecting a different answer."

:agree::agree:

SpyderMouse22
11-02-2013, 12:43 PM
It is a bit strange that some don't have any problems some have alot of problems and some like myself are in between good and bad. So many problems that are unrelated also. I would say to the ones that have no problems that I wouldn't do a happy dance too soon. After reading many posts on here I do think there are some design flaws and issues with shocks and fuel mixtures that may continue to creep up. I am lucky having a 6 year waranty and will keep making trips to the shop and talk on the phone till I get the problems solved.

NancysToy
11-02-2013, 02:08 PM
It is a bit strange that some don't have any problems some have alot of problems and some like myself are in between good and bad. So many problems that are unrelated also. I would say to the ones that have no problems that I wouldn't do a happy dance too soon. After reading many posts on here I do think there are some design flaws and issues with shocks and fuel mixtures that may continue to creep up. I am lucky having a 6 year waranty and will keep making trips to the shop and talk on the phone till I get the problems solved.

One of the things that continues to bother me about the Spyders is the variability in quality control, performance, and problems. I'm sure some of it may be due to different expectations and perceptions, but it runs deeper than that. We have had no difficulties with Nancy's Spyder, other than updates and recalls. My first RT was horrid, although others just a few serial numbers away were quite good. My 2011 has been quite reliable, although it has had some issues. You would not expect the quality to be all over the map like that. When BRP resolves that variability, and gets the bugs out of the new models, they may be on to the world-class machine we all seem to desire. JMHO

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 02:15 PM
:agree: (TWICE! :D) There seems to be so much variability in a machine that is supposed to be mass-produced and consistent... :gaah:

poordom
11-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Good afternoon,

I have read the recent messages, I think we are all in agreement on several points :

1 ) In general, we do enjoy driving our Spyders, but would enjoy them a lot more if it were not for certain nagging issues.

2 ) Here, I think we all pretty much agree that there are some issues that are model related, and that we can all deal with, some seats are not as comfortable as they show be, this can be attributed tothe Spyder model, obviously an RS or GS seat will not be as comfortable as an RT seat. I think we can understand and live with that.

3) Peg positions, backrests, seat position, again these are model related issues, the RT will be more comfortable that the RS GS or ST we can all understand that.

The items listed above are of preferences, therefore any modifications you do, are to benefit the look and creature comfort, and not mechanicaly related.

If you are 100% satisfied, with your Spyder and BRP, skip to the next post, the following section will only aggrevate you for nothing.

Unto issues which are not acceptable.

Like the damn heat issue, which has plagued several Spyders from its inception, it as been 5 years already, and it is still not resolved, why are there some Spyders that have the problem and some that do not, all models are affected, it is not limited to the RS/GS, ST or RT, or model years, it doesn't matter which one.

In my view, if by now BRP has not resolved this issue, or posted some type of corrective measure, then the company's only concern it to sell trikes, and are not to concern with customer satisfaction.

I have always believed that any product manufacturered in Canada, US or Mexico under strengient quality control rules through ISO approved manufacturing facilities, should not require an end user of such product to spend additional funds trying to correct a design, manufacturing, or quality control problem, in doing so, you are enabling the manufacturer to produce a large percentage of sub standard products.

I read posts where people say BRP are taking us seriously and trying to help resolve issues, these people are naive.

This heat issue is 5 years old, how many bikes need to burn, parts to melt, people to complain, before they react, BRP people are great listeners and are very compasionate, but that is all they do, is listen and be compasionate, does one need to wait until a child burns himself before the problem is corrected then the blame would be on your shoulder, for not seeking corrective measures, this simply because the manufacturer was negligent and irresponsable for not correcting this issue.

Dom

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Dom,
Take a look at the previous six pages... you're about 164 posts late to the party... :shocked:

poordom
11-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Dom,
Take a look at the previous six pages... you're about 164 posts late to the party... :shocked:

Bob,

If you would bother to read some of the posts, you would have noticed that I had posted # 127.

Dom

Bob Denman
11-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Found it... :opps: My apologies are gently offered...

poordom
11-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Found it... :opps: My apologies are gently offered...

Bob,

Your apologies are gracefully accepted.

Dom

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 06:16 PM
That was a joke between me and Snoop I think he got it. If not I apologize.

No one needs to apologize to me. All this forum stuff can't be taken too serious, it's always hard to tell what people feel from the words they post....no emotions put into the words most times.

....and I'm just a dog anyhow, sheesh.

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 06:19 PM
:agree: (TWICE! :D) There seems to be so much variability in a machine that is supposed to be mass-produced and consistent... :gaah:

Are you trying to say that my bike wasn't hand built specifically for me??????? :gaah:

poordom
11-02-2013, 06:27 PM
No one needs to apologize to me. All this forum stuff can't be taken too serious, it's always hard to tell what people feel from the words they post....no emotions put into the words most times.

....and I'm just a dog anyhow, sheesh.

Snoppy,

I take everything I write very seriously, in the hope that someone at BRP bothers to read.

I don't think you're a dog, if I did I wouldn't bother responding to your post.

I think a great number of us have grievances with BRP which need to be addressed.

I think the more input we gather from users, the more ideas and ammunition we have.

There was a post before that I found to be a great idea, make a video and post it on YouTube about the issues that some of us are having, this would definitely catch someones attention.

Another point Snoppy that you haven't realized, is that any potential customers that read our negative posts, has an impact on any pending future sales.

So please don't feel that way.

Dom

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Thousands and thousands of posts are made on hundreds of forums everyday, and not just by Bob D.

Personally I think it does more to contact BRP customer service and enter a complaint than talk on a forum about it.

I understand there is some merit discussing things on a forum and getting the word out, but I don't think a small company like BRP is willing to wade through posts like Ford or GM do....and I know personally they do.

Personally I don't even know how to contact and input a complaint w/ BRP, I take it maybe there is contact info in our owners manual. But I think that is second to taking it in to your dealer a few times w/ the same complaint and not getting it resolved...before contacting BRP as an unsatisfied customer.

Magdave
11-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Thousands and thousands of posts are made on hundreds of forums everyday, and not just by Bob D.

Personally I think it does more to contact BRP customer service and enter a complaint than talk on a forum about it.

I understand there is some merit discussing things on a forum and getting the word out, but I don't think a small company like BRP is willing to wade through posts like Ford or GM do....and I know personally they do.

Personally I don't even know how to contact and input a complaint w/ BRP, I take it maybe there is contact info in our owners manual. But I think that is second to taking it in to your dealer a few times w/ the same complaint and not getting it resolved...before contacting BRP as an unsatisfied customer.

1 (715) 848-4957 (Consumer)Bombardier Recreational Products, Customer service

SNOOPY
11-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Noted

Pennyrick
11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
After reading these many pages of posts perhaps Lamont should split this site in two....

One for Spyderlovers and one for Spyder owners.

OldCowboy
11-02-2013, 11:37 PM

I don't know, Snoop. Bob D. probably posts most of them. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

kman
11-03-2013, 05:13 AM
just what would the power commander do for our bikes. i have looked into them and even put one on my triumph and never noticed a difference. can someone explain how it could help a bike with heat problems, i would think to keep the bike running right it would be built into the software of the ecu

The power commander and Juicebox pro maps richen up the stock fuel mixture and this makes the engine run cooler, IF it was running too lean to begin with.I run an Evo race air filter and Hindle exhaust with the Juicebox Pro.I just recently installed an air fuel ratio gauge to be able to know just what the JB pro is doing.All the maps richen the lower and midrange rpms at the lower throttle settings by 10%.I know when I am cruising this is where I am running on the map settings 4,500 to 5,500 rpms and probably less than 15% throttle position.My a/f ratio is running an average of 13.0-13.2 cruising.In this cooler weather I am only running 3 bars and maybe 4 at stops.Now if the problem Spyders are running too lean say above 15.0 afr this would cause a hotter running engine.Keep in mind I also did the canisterectomy years ago.The easiest way to know if you are running to lean is to check the spark plugs.The best way would be to install an afr gauge.

I would think a reflash of the ecm to richen up the bike would be an easy fix if this was the only problem but there must be more to it than that. Jmho.

SNOOPY
11-03-2013, 06:59 AM
I don't know, Snoop. Bob D. probably posts most of them. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Good point, i rescind that part of my statement. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-03-2013, 08:35 AM
I spend a lot of money on my 2013 RS and have heat issues too. It is basically the same design as the ST so why wouldn't we? I don't post on a lot of the "complaint forums" because people seem to exclude us RS owners. No we did not spend $25,000 but we spent enough to buy damn near any other motorcycle on the market and still choose to get screwed by BRP just like everyone else. Enough of that rant...... As I stated I have a 2013 RS with heat issues also. I have made a couple of mods that have helped the situation, but it still pisses me off that I would spend this kind of money to have an issue that does not seem to be a major concern of BRP.

My memory ain't what it should be... :opps: you might just have the first 2013 RS with a heat problem that has been mentioned in here... The problem has been more widely reported with the other models, because it seems to be FAR more prevalent in them.
Or do you have information that I am lacking? :shocked:

Dan McNally
11-03-2013, 09:03 AM
After reading these many pages of posts perhaps Lamont should split this site in two....

One for Spyderlovers and one for Spyder owners.

Just because I am having heat issues doesn't mean I don't love my Spyder . . . it is the most fun I've had in my 60's . . .

Magdave
11-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Just because I am having heat issues doesn't mean I don't love my Spyder . . . it is the most fun I've had in my 60's . . .
:agree: And we will find a fix:thumbup:

Bob Denman
11-03-2013, 11:41 AM
:2thumbs: "AMEN" to that! :2thumbs:

Can-Am Poogs
12-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Can't believe how many people are not happy with their 2013 RT. That's too bad. I am in love with my 2012 RT. Tell you what though. Me being a helping kind of guy. Will buy your 2013 RT you are having problems with, at wholesale of course. Bring it to Canada. Take it to my dealer who is totally awesome. Have it fixed up, and sell it at fair retail up here without any issues. I have been on a couple of 2013's. I never noticed a heat problem. Can't say I like the handling. I find it loose by comparison to anything from 2008 to 2012. But still manageable. They kind of remind me of Ford steering in the early 90's. I used to say if you sneezed you could drive off the road by accident. Anyways, my offer stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dan_Ashley
12-27-2013, 12:07 AM
magdave, I've heard enough anger. It is time for you to remind yourself of what you learned as a child: you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Your angry demeanor is unbecoming.

as for me I'm done with SL. I don't need this kind of negativity in my life.