PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION TO ANYONE NEW TO SPYDERLOVERS FORUM

scott16119
10-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Don't be scared away buy what you read on here, this is all normal. I've owned my Spyder a little over a year now. I probably started snooping around the forum a month or two before I decided to purchase my Spyder, and my first thought was why would anyone ever buy one of these machines when all you see on here is unhappy owners. After awhile you'll begin to understand how it works. Last year was no different than now, there is a small percentage of people doing a large percentage of the posting on here, and of that small percentage of people was a large percentage of negative post's. I'm not saying you should disregard what the negative posters have to say, but keep in mind this is a small percentage of Spyderlovers and even smaller percentage of Spyder owners. I purchased a 2012 RTS-SE5 at the end of the season, and at that time people were posting about all the negative issues the machine had. This year people are posting about anything negative the 2013's have. I am sure next year at this time you'll be reading about anything negative that occurred with the 2014's.For all those who say BRP is dumping all the 2013's at rock bottom prices, they do it every year at this time. I believe my 2012 RTS-SE5 had a MSRP of right around $27,000. I paid $19,709. last October. Same as now there were people trying to sell good used Spyders for more than the new price I paid. Keep an open mind, you can learn more about a Spyder here than you will anywhere else that I know of. There are a few real Spyder experts on here who's info is so valuable. There is also a few class clowns who keep it interesting and funny. So please don't be scared away and enjoy the forum for what it is.

frenchek
10-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Don't be scared away buy what you read on here, this is all normal. I've owned my Spyder a little over a year now. I probably started snooping around the forum a month or two before I decided to purchase my Spyder, and my first thought was why would anyone ever buy one of these machines when all you see on here is unhappy owners. After awhile you'll begin to understand how it works. Last year was no different than now, there is a small percentage of people doing a large percentage of the posting on here, and of that small percentage of people was a large percentage of negative post's. I'm not saying you should disregard what the negative posters have to say, but keep in mind this is a small percentage of Spyderlovers and even smaller percentage of Spyder owners. I purchased a 2012 RTS-SE5 at the end of the season, and at that time people were posting about all the negative issues the machine had. This year people are posting about anything negative the 2013's have. I am sure next year at this time you'll be reading about anything negative that occurred with the 2014's.For all those who say BRP is dumping all the 2013's at rock bottom prices, they do it every year at this time. I believe my 2012 RTS-SE5 had a MSRP of right around $27,000. I paid $19,709. last October. Same as now there were people trying to sell good used Spyders for more than the new price I paid. Keep an open mind, you can learn more about a Spyder here than you will anywhere else that I know of. There are a few real Spyder experts on here who's info is so valuable. There is also a few class clowns who keep it interesting and funny. So please don't be scared away and enjoy the forum for what it is.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

claychaser
10-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Greetings Scott,
Agree, 100%!! Check out my post on "Things I have Learned" and I have had good service and lots of wonderful miles on our Spyder this year. Looking forward to many more to come. Still riding this year with some 35 degree mornings!
Andrew

coz
10-31-2013, 03:20 PM
scott, you've hit the nail squarely on the head. :thumbup:

Big Arm
10-31-2013, 03:27 PM
:agree: with scott16119 I've been here 5 yrs. now, and this is the best place for infomation you'll find on the Spyder. Made a lot of friends also. You'll get to know who the ones to trust for the right information, and the ones who like to stir the pot are, and also the ones who can give you a good laugh once in awhile. Thanks for posting this one. Ryde safe

finless
10-31-2013, 03:32 PM
This is how most forums work. People get online and find forums to report problems and get some help on what to do. Less people post how great everything is. Then there are forum junkies that just like a place to talk about what they have good or bad.

It's normal! I happen to run a few forums myself so I know how it works.

However, I too came here first before buying. I learned what to look for when buying and possibly what to expect. What the common reported problems are and what to do about them. IT WAS WORTH DOING THIS!
You just have to know how to balance the information and make the right decision.

Bob

ARtraveler
10-31-2013, 03:36 PM

Right on the money IMO.

MouthPiece
10-31-2013, 03:44 PM
I couldn't have said it better. Thank you so much, Scott, for starting this thread. My cup is half full too.

Chris

DrewNJ
10-31-2013, 04:11 PM
So true Scott! :thumbup:

3 Wheel Addict
10-31-2013, 04:33 PM
I wish I had found this forum before I bought mine. I think I would not have bought it if I had. My first red flag was the delay in delivery because of the "stop sale" order from the fed's.... I truly should have stopped the sale.....My mind may change if they come up with a solution, wish they would call me back!

scott16119
10-31-2013, 04:48 PM
I wish I had found this forum before I bought mine. I think I would not have bought it if I had. My first red flag was the delay in delivery because of the "stop sale" order from the fed's.... I truly should have stopped the sale.....My mind may change if they come up with a solution, wish they would call me back!

If I felt as bad as you and a few others on here I would of left long ago, and I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time on this forum. We all make foolish decisions in life, but it's time to let it go. Beating yourself up over your foolish purchase day after day on here has to be taking a toll on you and your family It's a learning experience. Let it go and move on to your next life experience. Smile and be happy.

PistonBlown
10-31-2013, 05:04 PM
This should be one of those pinned posts that always appears at the top of the forum.

3 Wheel Addict
10-31-2013, 05:26 PM
If I felt as bad as you and a few others on here I would of left long ago, and I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time on this forum. We all make foolish decisions in life, but it's time to let it go. Beating yourself up over your foolish purchase day after day on here has to be taking a toll on you and your family It's a learning experience. Let it go and move on to your next life experience. Smile and be happy.

Your missing the point here. This forum is great! Good people with great views and the gathering of info is what it's all about, good and bad! If all of us complainers left what would you guy's read about? Everybody has issues and i'm glad you have none with your bike maybe someday mine will be fixed to. I'm really looking forward to posting about great rides and trips on my Spyder but if you would like us to leave i'm sure I can get Lamont to cancel my user name and i'll be gone... thanks and enjoy.

StanProff
10-31-2013, 05:39 PM
I have a 2010 RT S. Love it! 20,000 miles into ownership and having a ball riding the spyder (trouble free). I also have a half dozen two wheelers that seldom see any road.
I agree with the thread poster, there are thousands of happy owners out here just enjoying the ride. Most of us just lurk around here and read and learn about the spyder from folks on here that have a wealth of information. It is a great forum with many many good people.

wyliec
10-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Your missing the point here. This forum is great! Good people with great views and the gathering of info is what it's all about, good and bad! If all of us complainers left what would you guy's read about? Everybody has issues and i'm glad you have none with your bike maybe someday mine will be fixed to. I'm really looking forward to posting about great rides and trips on my Spyder but if you would like us to leave i'm sure I can get Lamont to cancel my user name and i'll be gone... thanks and enjoy.

We'd read about all kumbaya stuff and sit around the campfire roasting marshmallows and yawning.

The OP said absolutely nothing new. It's all been said many times before in a lot less words.

I wanted to stay on (spyderlovers) a little longer b/c I commented back to a poster in another thread and wanted to read his response. But, it wasn't meant to be.

Stick around 3 Wheel Addict; you to cuznjohn and anyone else who supposedly complains. We are all entitled to our opinions; just follow Lamont's rules.

MouthPiece
10-31-2013, 06:05 PM

Are we related?? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

​Chris

NEXUS
10-31-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a 2010 RT S. Love it! 20,000 miles into ownership and having a ball riding the spyder (trouble free). I also have a half dozen two wheelers that seldom see any road.
I agree with the thread poster, there are thousands of happy owners out here just enjoying the ride. Most of us just lurk around here and read and learn about the spyder from folks on here that have a wealth of information. It is a great forum with many many good people.

I have been here from the beginning the information here sometimes is priceless and keeps me
from making mistakes. You will not find a better site for Spyder information- new accessories –videos
on installation what's up and coming sometimes light years before the dealers even knows.

There are a lot of good gearheads here including the site sponsor who just love taking things apart
like me and try to enhance or make it better or unique for all Spyder owners.

There also a good many naysayers and sometimes it just gets silly you just have to look over that.

The needs of the many outweigh the silliness of the few.:agree: with scott16119

Let it go and move on to your next life experience. Smile and be happy.

Nexus

(I will now go back to lurking)

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 06:58 PM
Wise words...:2thumbs:
Thanks! :clap:

midnightbreeze50
10-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Midnightbreeze50 here , just read all the threads and replys, I just want everyone to know how HAPPY I am with my SPYDER 2013, it is a blast to ride, I feel like a kid again, Im a Maintenance Mechanic / welder /electrican/ pipe fitter, and this spyder is a blast, anything will break down that is mechanical, is is the nature of the beast , good preventive maintenance is critical, and even then it can still break down , so what i want to say is have fun with your SPYDER, do your maintenance and hopefully you wont break down , sure the machine has faults , it was and still is designed by humans, if we were perfect it would be to, so just relax and ride Baby RIDE!!!!!

Chupaca
10-31-2013, 07:25 PM
I try to push this point every chance I get...this is a great site and much like a doctors office. You find more folks ailing and looking for help, cures, and solutions then happy healthy ryders. But they are all there and would add one word of caution as well...to those coming from some nice comfortable air-conditioned car, you will now be sitting on your engine all 998cc's and over 100hp's you will feel and hear everything that goes on there. You are not going to get 80 mpg's, your tires will not last 50,000 miles abd your oil changes will not take 10 min's...but you will not find a better ryde or a better bunch of people to help you..!! :thumbup:

finless
10-31-2013, 07:36 PM
I try to push this point every chance I get...this is a great site and much like a doctors office. You find more folks ailing and looking for help, cures, and solutions then happy healthy ryders. But they are all there and would add one word of caution as well...to those coming from some nice comfortable air-conditioned car, you will now be sitting on your engine all 998cc's and over 100hp's you will feel and hear everything that goes on there. You are not going to get 80 mpg's, your tires will not last 50,000 miles abd your oil changes will not take 10 min's...but you will not find a better ryde or a better bunch of people to help you..!! :thumbup:

+1000 Chupa!

The Spyder attracts people that may never have ridden before! Hell I have not owned a 2 wheeler since I was 24 and got married (I just turned 54). I rented a few over the years but other than that consider me a "car driver". I did my research here when I was interested in a Spyder because the wife agreed it was safe enough for Socal driving (that's why she made me dump the 2 wheeler when we got married, she did want me dead). I read the bad sh*t and the good... I LEARNED what to expect and what to look for.....

You cant come from a car and get on a bike and expect it to be the SAME! It's not going to happen...

I also am not new to fixing my own stuff... I fully intend to do service where I can without BUDS. I have been stuck in the desert with a VW bug and fixed it with a bobby pin from my wife's purse (throttle cable broke). Many that know me call me a "McGiver". Not trying to brag but I do what I have to, to get something working again.

I have now met about 35 Spyder owners out here. Most of them would never even remove a panel from their bike. Unfortunately unlike a car, you wont be driving it for 200K miles and only pay for oil changes and some minor repairs! Service is needed on things more often than a car. You wont be able to just pull in anywhere and get it fixed (same for most other bikes), etc, etc, etc...... EXPECT IT! Don't be the uneducated buyer expecting it to work like a Toyota car!

Sorry I got on a rant there for a bit :yikes:

Bob

Magdave
10-31-2013, 08:25 PM
And how many of you own a 2013 I count one who has never ridden it in 90-100deg temps.

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I gotta say I agree with Magdave. While I agree that you can learn a ton of invaluable information from this site to tell people not to listen to what they read here just because you have not experienced the same thing is irresponsible.

SNOOPY
10-31-2013, 09:11 PM
It's nice to have a little mix on the forum of naysayers and those who love and cherish Joseph-Armand. :roflblack:

hotglue
10-31-2013, 10:06 PM
If I felt as bad as you and a few others on here I would of left long ago, and I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time on this forum. We all make foolish decisions in life, but it's time to let it go. Beating yourself up over your foolish purchase day after day on here has to be taking a toll on you and your family It's a learning experience. Let it go and move on to your next life experience. Smile and be happy.wrong

hotglue
10-31-2013, 10:10 PM
I try to push this point every chance I get...this is a great site and much like a doctors office. You find more folks ailing and looking for help, cures, and solutions then happy healthy ryders. But they are all there and would add one word of caution as well...to those coming from some nice comfortable air-conditioned car, you will now be sitting on your engine all 998cc's and over 100hp's you will feel and hear everything that goes on there. You are not going to get 80 mpg's, your tires will not last 50,000 miles abd your oil changes will not take 10 min's...but you will not find a better ryde or a better bunch of people to help you..!! :thumbup:Been riding 52 years.... never had a bike with the issues the 2013 has.... so you can write me off as a newbe.... if ya wanna... Spyderlovers is a GREAT site, and LOTs of information!!!!! but there is the good with the bad.... it ain't all cherries in the spyder world. Lot's of good folks here!!!!!

AZLife
11-01-2013, 12:59 AM

:agree: Agree totally. I for one would lose interest real quick here if all I read from people were sworn testimonials of how wonderful their Spyders are....BORING! I want to learn what ALL others are experiencing, what I may expect to experience down the road, and what the solutions are/were! In addition, we need the complainers because it will be because of them that BRP might wake up and see they better take some action before they lose more sales. This is the World Wide Web folks. And BRP is probably wishing Al Gore never invented it (chuckle, chuckle)

murphybrown
11-01-2013, 09:44 AM
My relationship to all things Spyder has brought me sooooo much joy, pleasure, yep sometimes :banghead::banghead:..this may come a a shock but sometimes LIFE JUST SUCKS...even for me...When I got the "crazy" (as judged by sooooo many others) to go cageless .. that eventually led me to Spyderlovers (being very leery of forums--the negative rumors abound)..I lurked for awhile and then decided this was the best place for me .. a total novice in the world of Spyders/motorcycles .. As I understand and still believe a forum is for ALL of us...the Good, Bad .. novice, experienced..mechanical, non-mechanical...
Now when it gets UGLY and an attack turns to personal...judging another person's comments as "just not RIGHT"...I have an opinion, you have an opinion...? what makes mine RIGHT and yours WRONG?? Respect for the individual and willingness to at least listen to another opinion (dang I just might learn something...) is one of the principal's I live by...So I will always be on Spyderlovers and when the attacks become personal then I just skip that post...cause you know what? I walk not in that individual's shoes..but I do walk in mine and I do not have to give any personal energy to a situation that I am not living..and really have no "dog in the hunt"...empathy I can have...answers? probably not...listening ear? absolutely. I find that most folks just want someone to reallllly listen...not really expecting you to "fix" the situation...but please just listen without judgment...now if you ask me for my opinion or input...then yep I've got an opinion and I will share it...just remember it doesn't make it RIGHT...just my opinion.
28' degrees and I see blue skies...so headed out for a weekend of ryding...the season is coming to a close for my ryding...:(

SteveMac
11-01-2013, 11:06 AM
One of the best posts I've read in a long while. And another reason why you are such a dear and respected friend.

Spot on Karyl. :thumbup:

My relationship to all things Spyder has brought me sooooo much joy, pleasure, yep sometimes :banghead::banghead:..this may come a a shock but sometimes LIFE JUST SUCKS...even for me...When I got the "crazy" (as judged by sooooo many others) to go cageless .. that eventually led me to Spyderlovers (being very leery of forums--the negative rumors abound)..I lurked for awhile and then decided this was the best place for me .. a total novice in the world of Spyders/motorcycles .. As I understand and still believe a forum is for ALL of us...the Good, Bad .. novice, experienced..mechanical, non-mechanical...
Now when it gets UGLY and an attack turns to personal...judging another person's comments as "just not RIGHT"...I have an opinion, you have an opinion...? what makes mine RIGHT and yours WRONG?? Respect for the individual and willingness to at least listen to another opinion (dang I just might learn something...) is one of the principal's I live by...So I will always be on Spyderlovers and when the attacks become personal then I just skip that post...cause you know what? I walk not in that individual's shoes..but I do walk in mine and I do not have to give any personal energy to a situation that I am not living..and really have no "dog in the hunt"...empathy I can have...answers? probably not...listening ear? absolutely. I find that most folks just want someone to reallllly listen...not really expecting you to "fix" the situation...but please just listen without judgment...now if you ask me for my opinion or input...then yep I've got an opinion and I will share it...just remember it doesn't make it RIGHT...just my opinion.
28' degrees and I see blue skies...so headed out for a weekend of ryding...the season is coming to a close for my ryding...:(

Bob Denman
11-01-2013, 11:35 AM
:agree: Thanks! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
11-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Midnightbreeze50 here , just read all the threads and replys, I just want everyone to know how HAPPY I am with my SPYDER 2013, it is a blast to ride, I feel like a kid again, Im a Maintenance Mechanic / welder /electrican/ pipe fitter, and this spyder is a blast, anything will break down that is mechanical, is is the nature of the beast , good preventive maintenance is critical, and even then it can still break down , so what i want to say is have fun with your SPYDER, do your maintenance and hopefully you wont break down , sure the machine has faults , it was and still is designed by humans, if we were perfect it would be to, so just relax and ride Baby RIDE!!!!!

:agree::agree::agree: When can we have a beer or two?. If not a cup of tea or just a nice talk.

HuckFin
11-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Not to change the subject, but I just clicked the "me too" icon for the murphybrown comment in this thread and up came a "me too" with the thumbs down icon, shouldn't it be a thumbs up?....Or did I just send the wrong message.:opps:

anthony422
11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
dag my man Murph must be a preacher.... couldn't have said it better myself

HuckFin
11-01-2013, 02:22 PM
dag my man Murph must be a preacher.... couldn't have said it better myself

Your "man" Murph???

MarkLawson
11-01-2013, 02:58 PM
... I find that most folks just want someone to reallllly listen...not really expecting you to "fix" the situation...but please just listen without judgment...

This is for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EDhdAHrOg

(Sorry MB, I just couldn't resist)