PDA

View Full Version : so are you ready for pricing

cuznjohn
10-30-2013, 02:35 PM
so i go to the dealer today and just wanted to get a trade in price, but he was busy and asked me to hang around a lil so i did. he asked what i was looking for and what i wanted for my bike, so i hit him with what i thought was a good number and i said 20k. he goes on the computer and show's me his web site and he has 4 2013 rt limited's going for 22.9k. than he told me that can am flooded the dealers with 2013's at a price the could not pass up so they took them. he said you ready to lay down a deposit and i said get me my number and i will sign the papers right now, he gives me a price of a rt sm6 or whatever it is for 28k striped. than he leaves the table to talk to his boss. when he comes back he tells me that they would give me 15k for my bike and i laughed. i shook his hand and say goodby.

htey also have no idea when the 14's are coming out and did not hear anything about being delayed. but 15 k are they serious

PaSpyderRyder
10-30-2013, 02:39 PM
They must be smoking their lunch..........

Chupaca
10-30-2013, 02:43 PM
this is not the time....latest is Late December on the 14's..I would hang in there you only lose if you bail to soon...!! :gaah:

OWISE1
10-30-2013, 02:44 PM
2013 RT's are WORTHLESS with all the Heat Issues. :yikes:

I am still waiting and holding my breath to here from BRP on how they are going to fix mine....:dontknow:

Barlock
10-30-2013, 03:20 PM
so i go to the dealer today and just wanted to get a trade in price, but he was busy and asked me to hang around a lil so i did. he asked what i was looking for and what i wanted for my bike, so i hit him with what i thought was a good number and i said 20k. he goes on the computer and show's me his web site and he has 4 2013 rt limited's going for 22.9k. than he told me that can am flooded the dealers with 2013's at a price the could not pass up so they took them. he said you ready to lay down a deposit and i said get me my number and i will sign the papers right now, he gives me a price of a rt sm6 or whatever it is for 28k striped. than he leaves the table to talk to his boss. when he comes back he tells me that they would give me 15k for my bike and i laughed. i shook his hand and say goodby.

htey also have no idea when the 14's are coming out and did not hear anything about being delayed. but 15 k are they serious

OUCH! Sorry to hear that, John. Maybe (and I'm just thinking outloud) you should just let them fix it for you (as a part of warranty)) and then sell it privately?:dontknow: I don't know what else to say.:dontknow:

ARtraveler
10-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear about the trade in price. Fix and sell privately is probably the way to go in this case.

Bob Denman
10-30-2013, 04:55 PM
John,
Are you up for a bit of a commute?

Klinger's Powersports
Walton NY
607 865 6326
(Butch)

Arctic Adventures
Rosendale, NY
845 658 8844
(Tom)

Rusty Palmer's
Honesdale, PA
570 253 4507
(Ron)

cuznjohn
10-30-2013, 05:48 PM
John,

Klinger's Powersports
Walton NY
607 865 6326
(Butch)

Arctic Adventures
Rosendale, NY
845 658 8844
(Tom)

Rusty Palmer's
Honesdale, PA
570 253 4507
(Ron)

my old house was outside walton ny 3 1/2 hr drive from me but i will put the vents that i bought on the bike and just keep bitching about it

3 Wheel Addict
10-30-2013, 08:04 PM
my old house was outside walton ny 3 1/2 hr drive from me but i will put the vents that i bought on the bike and just keep bitching about it

Hang in there John you are not alone in you battle for a proper fix. I have not heard a word from BRP in almost 6 weeks and every day that goes by I just get a little more pissed off!! It's too cold and crappy to ride now anyway for me but with 5 years of warranty I'm going to bitch to hell won't have it! I have spoken to an attorney about lemon law and in Ohio they only have one oppritunity to fix it when it is considered to be a safety risk. I'm kinda stuck now till warmer weather because it clearly don't get hot now, it's winter!!

OldCowboy
10-30-2013, 09:30 PM

WHEN are you going to stop doing business with this guy? The MSRP on a 2014 RT SM6 is $22,900, not 28K. Heck, a 2014 RT LTD is only $30,499. $28K should be about the MSRP for a 2014 RT-S SE6.

cuznjohn
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
WHEN are you going to stop doing business with this guy? The MSRP on a 2014 RT SM6 is $22,900, not 28K. Heck, a 2014 RT LTD is only $30,499. $28K should be about the MSRP for a 2014 RT-S SE6.

this is a dealer i have never gone to b4 i stayed away from this guy because he had a bad rap and i can see why

wftb
10-30-2013, 09:49 PM
never sell a summer toy in the fall .i always go shopping for summer stuff in november .bargains galore from people that would rather sell than store .hang on to your machine till may , it will be worth it .

OldCowboy
10-30-2013, 10:29 PM
this is a dealer i have never gone to b4 i stayed away from this guy because he had a bad rap and i can see why

WTF?? Are all the dealers in your area nuts?

SDM
10-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Heck, I got quoted a trade-in value of $15,000.00 for my 2011 RT SE-5 when I was considering trading for the ST Limited back before the Owners Event in Maggie Valley. Sounds like it's time to bid those people a fond farewell and high tail it somewhere else!

prmurat
10-30-2013, 10:52 PM
I'll be happy to get $15000 for my 2011 RT-SE: with the price they are offering the 2013 for why should anyone would buy a used -11 for more than that??
Looks like the 2014 will be hot cakes too! My dealer had a low mileage for $22,000 then $18,000 and it is still not sold (6 months). If he takes my -11 for $15,000 he will try to resale it for how much:?? $17/18,000??? "My " -14 will be bought anyway by anyone coming to the shop, so why bother??

ThreeWheels
10-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Right now, with all the buzz on the 2014 in everyone's mind, I'm afraid the trade in price for a used Spyder is very low.
I inquired about my 2010 RTSM5 and the trade in value was so low, it's just not worth upgrading to a 2014.

Rick11Flor
10-31-2013, 12:32 AM
cant just wait and see what happens. BRP has to make it right for everyone affected.

:banghead:

MouthPiece
10-31-2013, 05:44 AM
cant just wait and see what happens. BRP has to make it right for everyone affected.

BRP doesn't have to do "jack" and with all the bitchin and moanin about decrease in value I've been reading for the past month, I wouldn't blame them.

Chris

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 06:54 AM
BRP doesn't have to do "jack" and with all the bitchin and moanin about decrease in value I've been reading for the past month, I wouldn't blame them.

Chris

The whole idea that it's BRP's fault that the prices for used Spyder Toys is lower than you would like is flawed.
The marketplace determines the price and if BRP could manipulate it RT Limiteds would be selling for 75K

Most Spyders are high end models, RT and Limiteds in the RT and ST and command a high new price because they are marketing to those who can afford to pay for their toys.

Those people, for the most part, don't want their toys used.
JMHO
:agree: and :agree: The pecularities of the used vehicle marketplace are the fault of... NOBODY!! :cus: happens on a collective front, and no one person,dealer/manufacturer, or importer can affect it... :gaah:

Lamonster
10-31-2013, 06:54 AM

So you go to a dealer that "has a bad rap" and he low balls you on the trade in and he high balls you on list price and you post it here like this is what all dealers are doing. I don't get it. :dontknow:

3 Wheel Addict
10-31-2013, 07:07 AM

Chris

They may not want to but they will have to do something. There are a few of us out there that will get something done or BRP may be buying back a few bikes.... under law. Ask SpyderAnn01 if she would let them do nothing! Now if you are talking about the pricing aspect then your right there is nothing BRP can do about that, that it just the way it is, something new always drives down the value of something old. I bet Cuznjohn would give up his complaining as well as I (and everybody else for that matter) if BRP would just tell us something so we are not just hanging in limbo.

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Fixing bikes, and repairing the retail trade industry are pretty much two; relatively unrelated issues... :gaah:
BRP is doing what it can; as FAST as it can, for the former...

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 07:51 AM
The whole idea that it's BRP's fault that the prices for used Spyder Toys is lower than you would like is flawed.
The marketplace determines the price and if BRP could manipulate it RT Limiteds would be selling for 75K

Most Spyders are high end models, RT and Limiteds in the RT and ST and command a high new price because they are marketing to those who can afford to pay for their toys.

Those people, for the most part, don't want their toys used.
JMHO

Roger, I have to disagree in part with your statement. BRP has been dumping 2013 RT at such a low price that I feel it will reduce the value of all used Spyders. When BRP tells their dealers that they can sell these new 2013 at upwards of $6,000 off MSRP it has a definite effect on the price of used machines.

Jeriatric
10-31-2013, 07:52 AM
:agree:

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 07:57 AM
They seem to offer up just about the same incentive each year at this time in an attempt to clear out the prior year models...
This year it's $3000 bucks...
Wasn't last year $2500?
(I could be wrong on the Math... :opps:)

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 07:59 AM
They seem to offer up just about the same incentive each year at this time in an attempt to clear out the prior year models...
This year it's $3000 bucks...
Wasn't last year $2500?
(I could be wrong on the Math... :opps:)

This year it is $6,000

bcoulter19
10-31-2013, 08:14 AM
I was quoted $10,000 site unseen trade on my 2010 RS SE5 so I would have spit in there face on any '13 for 15,000

rnet
10-31-2013, 08:15 AM
I could have just bought an RTL for under $20,000.

cuznjohn
10-31-2013, 08:27 AM
first lets get it straight, i expected the the price of the bike would go down, like with cars the minute you drive out the door it drops a few thousand dollars. i expected to take between 8 and 10k loss on the bike, but a 13k loss is just ridiculous. all the dealers i have gone to tell me that brp gave them fantastic deals on 13's and flooded the dealers with them so now nobody wants used bikes like mine for any kind of money even close to the price they can get for a brand new bike at 22k. even cheaper at other dealers. my selling dealer is the only person that i know that has no bikes in stock but will only take my bike on consignment.

as far as brp owing us anything for the value of our bikes i don't feel they do nor should they even do so. but they do owe us a fix for our bikes. but my personal feeling is that right now they want their new line on the market and are going to put all their resources towards the 14's and we, the people with bad heat issues and other problems are on the back burner until it hits the market place.

yes i have complained about the price drop, that is because i feel trapped with a bike that i am very unhappy with. and if i was in the market for a 2013 left over i would jump on a new bike from the dealer b4 a used bike because of the great price and all the incentives they are offering. that is my main complaint. if our issues got more attention and it didn't take a week or more to get parts maybe there would be less complaining about it. so from people getting upset about my complaining i will promises you i will not complain about price anymore. but the forums are for good and bad voices and i thought i would just join in with the experiences i have gone through. there is a few on here that are happy with their bikes and don't want to read negative feed back or ideas that other people have so i won't do it anymore. i love the forum and i have learned a lot about the spyders and being a first time owner i enjoy reading about meeting you have and love the pictures you post. ok enough :bdh:and hope you all have a great day

bullant12
10-31-2013, 08:42 AM
I only have 2 words to say that would explain all this, and it relates from blenders to houses...

SUPPLY AND DEMAND!:lecturef_smilie:

The more supply out there with little or no demand, the cheaper they go. The less supply out there and the bigger the demand is, the more expensive it is.

'nuff said.

OWISE1
10-31-2013, 08:45 AM
:agree: :agree: Hang in there John....:thumbup:

daveinva
10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
A lot of folks skirt the issue above, but to summarize: the Spyder does not hold trade-in or re-sale value. Period.

For a variety of reasons:
1. It's an essentially new product. It has no track record of popularity, reliability, or aftermarket support outside of a closed dealer network. It could be the best vehicle ever made, and those factors would still be true.

2. It's a very expensive product. People who are in the marketplace for $20K++ motorcycles are in the toy market, essentially. These customers prefer to buy new rather than used.

3. The 2013 problems will crater the used market for a long time to come. Anyone doing even a bit of research will be wary of buying a 2013 Spyder (unfairly or not), which will drop their prices accordingly. Selling or trading 2013s will require a steeper price cut than normal as long as there is a glut of 2013s. Unfortunately, we all know there's *also* a glut of *2012* and earlier model year Spyder on dealer lots. If dealers can't move brand new unused Spyders off their lots, they're certainly not going to be eager to offer high prices for *used* Spyders.

Vehicle companies have to go to great lengths over years, even decades, to establish their brands in the consumer's mind. Witness how long it took Japanese car companies to go from a rust bucket reputation to something worth buying, even preferred. Likewise, Korean car companies have spent 20 years selling cars at cut rates with ridiculous warranties knowing they had to suffer until they could prove to the marketplace that they made competitive cars (and even now, when Hyundai puts out quality cars that I'd put up against anybody else's, you can see for yourself how miserable their resale value still is).

Bottom line: it takes a long, LONG time for new products to develop a reputation for desirability and quality. The Spyder won't get there for some time to come... if ever.

Unfortunately, BRP may have suffered a huge hit with the 2013 year (they don't release sale numbers, we're working on anecdote, but the anecdotes are consistent). Any year right before the release of an improved model will inevitably suffer, but BRP took a *double* hit with the quality concerns in 2013. At the price points they want-- natch, *need*-- to sell Spyders at, I'm not surprised at all that they're delaying the 2014s a little while to make sure the rollout is perfect. After 2013, if they botch 2014, we may not have Spyders around for much longer.

And if that happens, we'll all look back at $15,000 trade-in prices as the glory days...

P.S. My advice to any new Spyder buyer-- other than reading Spyderlovers.com!-- is to appreciate the value of the Spyder to them, and budget accordingly. Meaning, be prepared to spend a lot to *buy* the Spyder, be prepared to spend a lot to *maintain* the Spyder, be prepared to spend a lot to *farkle* the Spyder, and be resigned to never getting anywhere near that money back once you sell or trade-in the Spyder.

Your Spyder is sunk-cost; just be sure to get the fun out of it that you want.

cuznjohn
10-31-2013, 08:58 AM
:agree: :agree: Hang in there John....:thumbup:

oh i plan to hang in there, i just won't post negative thing about price anymore. i have the vents i bought from verika trykes and i will install them as soon as i lay the bike up for the winter. i have to mount them first than take them off to have the painted and i will see what it does for the bike next season.

daveinva
10-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Shorter version of a TL;DR post above: You don't buy a Spyder, you subscribe to it. The money you spend on a Spyder that you never see back once you sell or trade it in? That's the price of your subscription. The best you can hope for is that in return for paying that price you got plenty of miles and smiles out of your Spyder ownership.

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Kind of like this; right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szwclmmKwLg

anthony422
10-31-2013, 09:55 AM
I didn't buy it to sell it, i'll tell you that....... but i'd rather not break down and I did twice both due to a hot machine, The conversation I had with BRP was rather interesting we both spoke but I felt like we both were on different planets. The Rep told me on one hand that the machine runs hot do to the "Tupperware" around the engine and on the other hand they would be willing to check the machine, but had not one solution. That being said the bike I thought I bought was supposed to be a cool thing turned out to be a furnace on wheels, hot enough to damage other parts of the bike, that's a fact, So come up with how you are going to blow out the Tupperware when my machine is in stationary and issue solved, This I can say my nuts my be damn hot but when the bike is moving..... I'm good, when I pass through a town or city I cross my fingers, (just what I wanted when I purchased)

anthony422
10-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Seems like an easy solution by the way... We know when things heat up the thermostat kicks on the fan on the right side so why not have a small DC deluge blower with a small piece of flexible aluminum tubing and get it up into the cavity hot area and blow the heat out the bottom of the bike.. like the ones they use on boats and parallel it to the fan power and kick on this blower
then program the fan to kick on alittle earlier and stay on a bit longer, I also like the pipe wraps to help

finless
10-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Just my perception when I was shopping in May of this year for a Spyder RT.
They do hold the value pretty well considering. At least they did earlier this year. Now I am not talking 2013's here. I am talking 2011 and 2012s. In May of this year, the dealers out here in Ca. were asking about 21K for a new 2011 RTS SE5 and about 23K for a new 2012 RTS SE5. This was not including dealer prep, etc! I could not get out the door for less that 24K. The 2013's were even more even for the base unit! Again the dealer prep, etc adds quite a bit to the price!

My Wife gave me an "achieved" price of $21K. I could go higher but that's what the budget was. So I decided to go looking at used Spyders. Most people were asking very close to what they paid due to add-ons etc they had invested in. After 2 months of dealing with used sellers, I finally found a motivated seller.

So you know I paid $16.5K for a 2011 RTS that only had 450 miles on it and had never been in for service. So basically new. When I bought it, it had the original owners paperwork with it. The original owner paid $21K in Jan 2012. So if you ask me, that was a pretty good value hold for a 2 year old spyder considering the hype of the "new" 2013's" competing with people selling older models. After buying it I had a guy offer me $19K for it 1 month later! I could have flipped it.

Now will the 2013's hold that kind of value? Probably not. Will 2014's effect my resale value? Possibly but with the new prices for 2014, some people may not be able to afford a new one! The 2014's are a lot more expensive than previous years! Like me with a budget I think there will be people with a budget wanting a spyder and thus looking for used.

All of the cars I have ever owned I have NEVER done a dealer trade in! I always got more than any dealer offered me on trade by doing a person to person sale. I think selling to the used market will get you more but it might take a while to sell it.

Myself I have no desire to even attempt to trade in my 2011. If I was at all interested in a 2014 I would sell my spyder used and get the best price I can. After I sell it then go by the 2014. Yes this could take 6 months or more! But hey... by then the "real" reports of how good the 2014's are should be coming in :)

It's when your in a "rush" to buy and sell that you take a larger hit.

My .000002 cents.

Bob

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 12:12 PM
All of the cars I have ever owned I have NEVER done a dealer trade in! I always got more than any dealer offered me on trade by doing a person to person sale. I think selling to the used market will get you more but it might take a while to sell it.
It's when your in a "rush" to buy and sell that you take a larger hit.
:agree: But keep in mind that the trade-in amount may not be figured into the transaction when it comes to paying sales tax on the vehicle...(If that's how it's done in your State)
Here in New York; our sales tax is 8%... If you sell your vehicle outright; make sure that you get enough extra to cover any difference in the sales tax that you might get hit with in the deal! :shocked:

Sarge707
10-31-2013, 12:31 PM
oh i plan to hang in there, i just won't post negative thing about price anymore. i have the vents i bought from verika trykes and i will install them as soon as i lay the bike up for the winter. i have to mount them first than take them off to have the painted and i will see what it does for the bike next season.

You "Torturing" Yourself Mentally and Physically with this "Heat Infested Monster?" :yikes:
If you did the Lemon Law and documented you would have been "Well" on your way to a Nice agreeable settlement that would bring you a sense of Pride and Justice??? nojoke

cuznjohn
10-31-2013, 12:40 PM
You "Torturing" Yourself Mentally and Physically with this "Heat Infested Monster?" :yikes:
If you did the Lemon Law and documented you would have been "Well" on your way to a Nice agreeable settlement that would bring you a sense of Pride and Justice??? nojoke

here in ny it has to be a total of 4 times with the same problem or a loss of 30 days total for the issue. i have not met that. each time it has been in was for a different problem so i am keeping paper work.

spyder3
10-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Fixing bikes, and repairing the retail trade industry are pretty much two; relatively unrelated issues... :gaah:
BRP is doing what it can; as FAST as it can, for the former...

how do you know that?:dontknow:

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Easy...
They certainly have made enough changes to the 2014 bikes to reduce the value of any prior model year version... :shocked:
It sucks; but it is what it is... Product Improvement...
They're offering the HUGE rebates on existing stock because they now have to give a MAJOR reason for somebody to want to buy last year's bike.
The new engine, transmission, clutching system, electrical and cooling systems... ALL are major improvements! :thumbup:
They just come at a price to current owners... :helpsmilie:

spyder3
10-31-2013, 01:10 PM
The 2013's are killing the market for all of us, not only because of the reputation they have, but BRP discounting them 6k. So, as SA said, blaming BRP isn't out of line. A bad product(reputation) and huge discounts as a result is there doing 100%. It is what it is.

spyder3
10-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Easy...
They certainly have made enough changes to the 2014 bikes to reduce the value of any prior model year version... :shocked:
It sucks; but it is what it is... Product Improvement...
They're offering the HUGE rebates on existing stock because they now have to give a MAJOR reason for somebody to want to buy last year's bike.
The new engine, transmission, clutching system, electrical and cooling systems... ALL are major improvements! :thumbup:
They just come at a price to current owners... :helpsmilie:

i thought you were referring to fixing the 2013's.

ARtraveler
10-31-2013, 01:29 PM
All I can add here is a big WOW! Pretty much what everyone says is right on the money. (Pardon the pun). The issues with the 2013 have made the market what it is today, and that is what is causing the "extraordinary" (used in the accounting way--meaning happens rarely and material in nature) low prices of trade in's on 2013's. The addition of the 2014 improvements on the heels of the 2013 issues just adds fuel to the fire.

It is definately a "dealers market" and they have the opportunity to do well if they run into a customer who is unhappy with a 2013 and really, really wants a 2014. It also impacts deals on older year model trade ins.

Based on what I am reading, what I was offered in trade for my 2010 with 35K miles, on a new 2014 is sounding better every day.

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Fixing them is a "sort of" related, but actually separate issue (or problem!). The more that I think about them; the more that I think that BRP was testing the current frame with the new triple, and NOT with the 991 Vee Twin (At least; not as much as they should have).
It's going to take an approach from several different angles to sort it all out... :shocked: I honestly think that the owners in here have already got a lot of solutions that are workable; putting them together might just be the "hot" ticket! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
All I can add here is a big WOW! Pretty much what everyone says is right on the money. (Pardon the pun). The issues with the 2013 have made the market what it is today, and that is what is causing the "extraordinary" (used in the accounting way--meaning happens rarely and material in nature) low prices of trade in's on 2013's. The addition of the 2014 improvements on the heels of the 2013 issues just adds fuel to the fire.

It is definately a "dealers market" and they have the opportunity to do well if they run into a customer who is unhappy with a 2013 and really, really wants a 2014. It also impacts deals on older year model trade ins.

Based on what I am reading, the $15K that I was offered in trade for my 2010 with 35K miles, on a new 2014 is sounding better every day.

Id jump on that deal before they change their mind

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 01:52 PM
:agree: :2thumbs:

fas2000
10-31-2013, 04:42 PM
This is why i love buying used.

I could never afford the type of hit that new vehicles have. Used has its risks, but you can mitigate them with a bit of homework and research.

Bought a used Porsche for 44g's and sold it for 42 after two years and 25k miles of fun.

Bought a used Lexus, bought it for 26k, have put over 70k miles and 7 years later i can sell it easily for 12k if i had to get rid of it.

Bought the spyder used, for under 10k with 3500 miles. if i sell it after 3 years for even 4 or 5k... ill be happy.

i feel bad for the guys with the 10k losses on their spyders. But at least you arent fairing as bad as the 7 series and S class and Range Rover crowds, they buy new, loose 30 to 40g's in 2 years which is like 33% of the value of their cars. :shocked:. More power to them, but ill be happy to pick up somebody elses left overs for these type of savings. And the day i can afford to take a hit, maybe ill buy the new ones.

just my 2 cents.

fas

slather1
10-31-2013, 05:37 PM
This year it is $6,000 My dealers are not knocking $6000 off the 2013.

finless
10-31-2013, 06:25 PM
OK I do have to agree... prices are dropping fast. I look on Ebay at least once a week for spyder deals.
Just picked up a RT trailer hitch for all of $113 new in the box!

Anyway I could NOT TOUCH a new 2012 RT-S SE5 last June for less than $24K out the door (including dealer prep).
Now I am seeing things like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyder-PAVING-THE-WAY-FOR-2014-OUR-LAST-available-2012-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S-Roadster-/121204982684?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c3861439c&item=121204982684&pt=US_motorcycles

Bob

cuznjohn
10-31-2013, 06:33 PM
OK I do have to agree... prices are dropping fast. I look on Ebay at least once a week for spyder deals.

Anyway I could NOT TOUCH a new 2012 RT-S SE5 last June for less than $24K out the door (including dealer prep).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyder-PAVING-THE-WAY-FOR-2014-OUR-LAST-available-2012-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S-Roadster-/121204982684?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c3861439c&item=121204982684&pt=US_motorcycles

Bob

and they are now selling 13's rt limited for 22.9k

Bob Denman
10-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Well... The owners of 2013 RTs really have a couple of choices:
Dump the bike at a huge loss
Continue to ride it when you can
fix it at great personal effort and/or expense
THEN, dump it or ride it...
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

finless
10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
and they are now selling 13's rt limited for 22.9k

Yea but that's not out the door right? Dealer prep can add 2K easily.

I could have picked up a 2012 Lava Bronze Limited with 622 trailer here in San Diego for $24K with only 200 miles on it! The user did not trust the bike anymore (he limped home many times) and my wife did not want me to buy a lemon since his was in the shop all the time (DPS and other codes). I really wanted that bike but the wife thought I was buying his problems so that did not happen. He told me personally he paid 34K out the door so he was willing to take a 10K loss in less than 1 year!

Anyway, Even though prices are coming down, it's still a game! I bet I could sell my 2011 with 3K miles on it for more than I paid if I waited for the right buyer.

Bob

finless
10-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Well... The owners of 2013 RTs really have a couple of choices:
Dump the bike at a huge loss
Continue to ride it when you can
fix it at great personal effort and/or expense
THEN, dump it or ride it...
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

You know what Bob....... When I was researching spyders even before the 2013 problems showed up, People were reporting heat problems on 10's, 11's, and 12's.... I am MORE THAN HAPPY with my 2011 and you will find (back then) even people like jerbear complaining of hot foots etc!

I would love now to ride a 2013 and see if it is really that big a deal!

ANYONE in the Socal area want to trade for a week? If we like each others it could become permanent!
I am willing!
I think some of this is perceived honestly and there has to be more people out there riding 2013's that are very happy! Of course the recalls have to be done that's for sure.
But I would not mind seeing for myself how much hotter the 13's are over my 11. It just cant be that bad?

Ann had hers burn up.... But had it not, I never heard her complain of more heat over the previous year she had (at least not here on SL). Yes she complained of service issues other than heat, but I would like to hear from her if she actually noticed a big difference in heat!

Ann?

Bob

DJFaninTN
10-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Bob

I do believe that particular bike has been for sale for at least one month. I've been lurking for a while.

BLACK REV 800 X
11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
With all the negative posts related to heat issues, the value of 2013's will be impacted negatively. I have no heat problems so don't really like to see these day after day. I understand its a problem for some, but complaining here isn't going to get the problem fixed, and only reduces our trade in or out right sale value.

Everybody has to do what they want to do, but I'm just stating the simple fact....

Deanna777
11-01-2013, 01:00 PM
this is not the time....latest is Late December on the 14's..I would hang in there you only lose if you bail to soon...!! :gaah:I went to my can-am dealer in Vermont, the dealer said that the 14's wont show-up until Feb. Also, the can-am dealer said that they will place their order for the 14's end of Oct. (last month). Deanna777

Deanna777
11-01-2013, 01:14 PM

htey also have no idea when the 14's are coming out and did not hear anything about being delayed. but 15 k are they serious I went to my can-am dealership in Vermont last month, and they said that the trade- in value for my 2012 RT-S SE5 would be $15,000.00, and if I did a private sale to start @ $17,000.00 ( I have low mileage) I have all winter to think about if I want to trade mind for a 2014' RT S SE6. The 2014's wont show up until Feb. Deanna777

Can-Am Poogs
12-26-2013, 11:47 PM
It could be me, but I am not surprised a dealer offered you low wholesale value on a trade in. I am surprised they offered you high retail on a purchase for low wholesale on a trade. Most try to dazzle you with the retail while offering you the basement on a trade to try and close a deal. Dealers will try and manage the difference. Let's face it. They take the risk on your trade. However lets also face the fact they will make money on the sale of the trade in and the new sale. Want to beat the game, then sell privately. Then go in and negotiate the best price you can on a new purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

flaggerphil
12-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Sell it privately. To me that seems the best thing to do...especially since you're, apparently, surrounded by bad dealers.

cuznjohn
12-27-2013, 12:51 AM
i did a ton of work to put the veritka trike vents on it, so now i wait for warm weather to see if it worked

MidLifeCrisis
12-27-2013, 02:04 AM
I went to my can-am dealership in Vermont last month, and they said that the trade- in value for my 2012 RT-S SE5 would be $15,000.00, and if i did a private sale to start @ $17,000.00 ( i have low mileage) I have all winter to think about if i want to trade mind for a 2014' RT S SE6. The 2014's wont show up until Feb. Deanna777

Your dealer is crazy. Your bike is worth more than that, especially in three months, when the market picks back up again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
12-27-2013, 08:03 AM
:agree: Now is about the worst time of the year to talk tradi-ins... Try in the Spring, as the market starts waking up! :thumbup:

jaherbst
12-27-2013, 09:55 AM
2013 RT's are WORTHLESS with all the Heat Issues. :yikes:I am still waiting and holding my breath to here from BRP on how they are going to fix mine....:dontknow:I have no "heat issues" with my late 2013 and am quite happy with it. 2013's have extra heat foil that is very effective on my RTS.Jack

spydaman60
12-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Right now, with all the buzz on the 2014 in everyone's mind, I'm afraid the trade in price for a used Spyder is very low.
I inquired about my 2010 RTSM5 and the trade in value was so low, it's just not worth upgrading to a 2014.unless you want to keep the old one in the garage for a spare!!:yikes: happy new year steve!!!

jaherbst
12-27-2013, 10:12 AM
This year it is $6,000It was $3000 plus an extra two year extension on the warranty. Anything above that was absorbed by the dealer. I just bought a new 2013 with all factory options (RTS SE5) for $21,051 With taxes etc. OTD $23,461.15.Jack

oldguyinTX
12-27-2013, 10:30 AM
2013 RT's are WORTHLESS with all the Heat Issues. :yikes:

I am still waiting and holding my breath to here from BRP on how they are going to fix mine....:dontknow:

If you keep holding your breath you're gonna keel over. BRP's position with me after two letters to the CEO and 4 telephone conversations with 2 different "representatives of the CEO" is to "wait until the Spyder comes out of storage in the spring and see if it still has heat issues, gas fumes, etc." Like winterizing and storing it is going to magically solve the problems. Boy, do I wish it would.:banghead::banghead:

oldguyinTX
12-27-2013, 10:35 AM
I went to nhtsa.gov to view recall on 2013 Spyders. Only the one we all know about for the brake issue. There is a place on their website for lodging complaints. So far there are 15. Maybe if more people complained to NHTSA, some pressure could be brought to bear against BRP to finally and totally solve the problems that they would much rather ignore. Just sayin.

Bob Denman
12-27-2013, 11:12 AM
How do you inow for sure that what has been done; HASN'T solved the problem? :dontknow:

cuznjohn
12-27-2013, 12:28 PM
does your boss know your always on here

Bob Denman
12-27-2013, 12:29 PM
She can see the screen from her desk... :shocked:

willey
12-27-2013, 04:32 PM
We ride a 13 RTS SE5.that the Red Head bought last June because her son told her that she should spend some of her money so she shelled out 33,000 cash for the RT.We are both 74 years old so she has no desire to learn how to ride,so when she is along, we take her Spyder.I ride a 1300cc Yamahaw.I might not know what a heat problem is.That 1300 will flat cook you when in town and the temp is over 80.When they did the recall for heat,there was a very small spot on the canester but none on the master cylinder.I thought it would be worse because we were out west for 15 days the last of june.Rode to Los Vages and spent two weeks ridding home.A little over 6000 miles and most days it was 100 degrees or above.We were not as hot on the Spyder as my buddies were on their Harleys.We enjoy the Spyder.The Red head leaves the second of Jan.for Fla. and will be there until Aprial.I am going to ride the Spyder down the middle of Feb and stay until the middle of Mar.I hope that First Gear suite that I just bought from Ron works as well as they say.It will probley be cold here in Ohio when I leave.

Cruzr Joe
12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
John,

Klinger's Powersports
Walton NY
607 865 6326
(Butch)

Arctic Adventures
Rosendale, NY
845 658 8844
(Tom)

Rusty Palmer's
Honesdale, PA
570 253 4507
(Ron)

Central Florida Powersports will sell you a 2014, they have some in stock for full list price plus dealer prep, must be nice to have the first batch. I won't elaborate on their pricing.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Deanna777
12-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Sell it privately. To me that seems the best thing to do...especially since you're, apparently, surrounded by bad dealers.I have decided to keep my 2012 RTS-SE5. Deanna777

Deanna777
12-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Your dealer is crazy. Your bike is worth more than that, especially in three months, when the market picks back up again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD There is only 3 dealerships that I know of in The State of Vermont( they are in : Derby,Vt, Essex Junction ,Vt, Rutland, Vt) So I have decided not to Sell/ or trade my :spyder2: . If I did trade my :spyder2: I would go to New Hampshire to deal with the Dealerships there. Thanks for the info.
Deanna777

cuznjohn
12-29-2013, 01:20 AM
There is one possible scenario which could markedly improve used prices... The engine on the 2014 has even worse problems than the 2013. Examples... Transmission failures, belt breakages, valve problems, piston seizures... Anything could happen.

lets hope that this never happens to the new owners. the company would take a big hit and us 13 owners would never see a fix for our bikes. i really feel that when BRP did the survey on us 13 owners they took a look at all the complaints to make sure they did the right things on the 14's.

spyderdmb1621
12-29-2013, 01:22 AM
Incorrect statement, Decoembers have been delivered as i have posted several times, plant is shut down opens 1st week in jan, then they ship, expect full truckloads of 18 spiders per truck being delivered in the 2nd week, SM6's feb time frame

good luck

NancysToy
12-29-2013, 07:49 AM
There is one possible scenario which could markedly improve used prices... The engine on the 2014 has even worse problems than the 2013. Examples... Transmission failures, belt breakages, valve problems, piston seizures... Anything could happen.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine. :lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
12-29-2013, 09:13 AM
:lecturef_smilie: That ain't funny; and it ain't cool...

spyderdmb1621
12-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Well it's true too many people making false statements. I don't build em I just buy em

Proud owner of the 2nd 2014 Rts delivered in Florida :)

DDT
12-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Don't even go there. There is a real good chance that I will be the proud owner in the next few months and we don't want to even think like this.

spyderdmb1621
12-30-2013, 11:54 AM
sorry- but here is another good example of someone talking down the scenario on the 14 RTS (scenario) when they don't have all the facts,these are night and day compared to the 14's, i know, i have one.

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

Bob Denman
12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
:shocked: Every once in a while, you get the darndest "vertical shenanigans" going on with your posts... :D :dontknow:

Mets79ST2013
12-30-2013, 01:25 PM
My dealer told me my ST-S is about $13k or less because of the pricing on the leftover from this year, he told me good luck finding a dealer that will by the ST-S for more than that....

Bob Denman
12-30-2013, 01:28 PM
I think that I'd be shopping for a new dealer; yours seems to be trying to just accept his lowball offer with a minimum of fuss... :shocked:
It NEVER hurts to check around at some other shops... :thumbup:

Mets79ST2013
12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
I did visit 2 other dealers around my town I ask for $17K for my ST-S and they laugh, I told them I want the 2014 ST-S and they told me sure but your bike and issues it has is not worth $17K, they are talking $12,500 to $13K, I want the new 14 but not that bad...

ARtraveler
12-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I did visit 2 other dealers around my town I ask for $17K for my ST-S and they laugh, I told them I want the 2014 ST-S and they told me sure but your bike and issues it has is not worth $17K, they are talking $12,500 to $13K, I want the new 14 but not that bad...

It is interesting how things change. I bet the dealers were not talking this way when they sold you the new 2013 ST. :dontknow: I don't see much advantage going from a 13 ST to a 14 ST though. There have been no changes other than the air vents. The heat issue fix is not a done deal. :dontknow:

Tazzel
01-02-2014, 06:20 PM

They never have and they never will

Bob Denman
01-02-2014, 06:22 PM
What makes you think that? :dontknow:

Tazzel
01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
What makes you think that? :dontknow:

Owners have been talking about cooking legs and feet since 07. Seven years later still talking about it.

JkRbbt
01-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Owners have been talking about cooking legs and feet since 07. Seven years later still talking about it.

A little foot heat, I expected. Never had a problem with leg heat on my RT. Cooking hoses, wires, canisters, modules, etc, is an engineering and testing screw-up that so far has had a band-aid applied. We shall see! :popcorn: