PDA

View Full Version : thermostat

jerpinoy
10-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Scaleman and I rode yesterday 55F and 20F chill and I've notice my temp gauge needle moves up and down. At idle the gauge needle is in the middle and while riding it goes way down. I don't think that's normal if there's a thermostat installed. What are your thoughts?

jcthorne
10-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Scaleman and I rode yesterday 55F and 20F chill and I've notice my temp gauge needle moves up and down. At idle the gauge needle is in the middle and while riding it goes way down. I don't think that's normal if there's a thermostat installed. What are your thoughts?

Its completely normal. And your question is why the temp gauges in most cars do not move. They are mostly idiot lights or severely damped gauges that do not actually tell changes in coolant temp at all. Unless the cooling system is significantly over designed, the temp will go up in the radiator when sitting still due to lower air flow across it.

NancysToy
10-30-2013, 09:12 PM
It's normal in cool weather.

Jeriatric
10-30-2013, 10:45 PM
When idling you're bumping the thermostat. Rolling down the highway there's enough cool air passing through the radiator to drop the water temp and keep it there.

Chupaca
10-30-2013, 11:17 PM
the thermostat helps get to an operating temp but once it has fully opened and has water flow it pretty much stays that way. The cooling of the radiator will dictate the water temp. At idle you will see it rise and if the air is cool at speeds you will see it drop...normal..!! :thumbup: