PDA

View Full Version : Bearing seals, O-rings and wear sleeves

MrBones
10-29-2013, 10:53 AM
The maintenance schedule says to replace them at 14K. Ive had my RS-S for 18 months and have over 16K and was wondering if this is necessary or just one of those things they tell us? Also isn't 14K a little soon for brake fluid to be changed? Hope you people in the know can straighten me out on this. Thanks for any help.

Chupaca
10-29-2013, 11:22 AM
like pills "in some rare cases causes death". Imho when you need to replace the rear tire is the best time to check your bearings etc. There was a time these machines were suffering from the BTT's ( belt to tight) but this has since been adjusted. Brake fluid should be checked and replaced as schedueled unless it has gotten contaminated beforehand. This will vary according to ryding styles. Manufacturers will recommend it done earlier than needed to cover the extreem cases. Your call but akways think safety...!! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
10-29-2013, 11:23 AM
If this calls under your warranty?, then it's your choice.

MrBones
10-29-2013, 04:49 PM
No no warranty. Its a 2010 bought it used. Had 222 miles on it. Also looked today and the old maint. chart said the tranny filter was good for 12K and the new chart says 4.6 wonder why?

MrBones
10-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Well thanks to you two, guess all others are interested in Paris Hilton

NancysToy
10-29-2013, 08:36 PM
The point at which they fail is variable, but I recommend changing them as specified, or inspecting them at every tire change and replacing them about every other...or in the 25K range at the outside. If they fail, you will ruin the wheel. Bearings are cheap insurance. JMHO.

Oldmanzues
10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
FYI They changed a lot of stuff, including oil change period/miles. Ask a dealer if you have the old or new engine oil filter. I would guess old. Old filter used original book values, new fiter uses new values. I would guess other intervals changed as well
I am not a expert at all. This is just information
Oldmanzues

MikeinGA
10-30-2013, 07:02 PM
I had the dealer check the spacers, bearings, seals, and greased the seals when I had my rear tire replaced at 14,000 miles and every think was ok. At 28,000 I'll change the spacers, seals, replace the bearings and change the tire to an automobile tire. When my 2011 RS-S is 5 or 6 or years I'll trade up to a new bike. I hope I can still ride at 67 year old. I hope by then that BRP gets the ST's right. That's my plans.

Mike

MrBones
10-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Oh you can still ride at 67 I'm 80 and have no problem. Thanks all for the info.

ulflyer
10-31-2013, 05:33 AM
Mr Bones, I'm right behind you at 79. FYI, I think the earlier machines did call for Xmsn filter every other oil change or some such but BRP later amended that to EVERY oil change. Then last year, they came out with an extended Xmsn filter cap and new style filter. If yours has the old one you can continue to use it and buy the Hiflow filters or just ask your dealer for the new cap and filter. Most dealers have plenty of them in stock.

I had my bearings changed around 20K as it was convenient then because I was having a new tire mounted. The large double row bearing was still good but the two outer ones showed a little wear. I went ahead and had the large one done anyway. As Scotty says, they're not all that expensive; I think about $70 or less for parts.