PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm a new member with a question........

wishey1
10-27-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm trying to get up to speed on a Can-Am RT, '13 model.....I know next to nothing about them
but, I'm 60 now and thought I should look into 3-wheelers......anyway, I know all bikes have problems and I've read some heat related issues with the '13.....

My question is are there other issues a first time buyer should know, I.e. buy it or RUN!
I've not even rode one yet, should get one this week, unless I go for the F6B but I will get
one of the two.....

I guess I'm asking are you happy with your RT or is there too much heat, under powered,
seat hurt yur bum, and also what you love about them, great machine, stress free, safer etc.

anything from anyone would be a great help......would like your opinions on the '13 RT...

thank you all in advance and thanks for a great site!!

w

SNOOPY
10-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Although I have a ST model, I think the bikes are awesome myself. They have great technology built into them. They are much safer IMO than a 2 wheeler. Should be able to get a great deal right now on a 2013 as well....unless you want a 2014 about to come out. Personally I don't like the first year of a major model change in anything.

Someone else will have to comment on the heat problem. Some have the issue and some do not, seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Chupaca
10-27-2013, 09:13 PM
ryde will make a world of difference in your preception of these roadsters. Regardless of the printed word, which one should consider as one side of the coin, these are amazing nachines and by no means a bike or a car. They truly fall somewhere in between. You have to learn and unlearn at both ends. But the end result is worth it...test ryde one..!! :thumbup:

willey
10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Rode 2 wheelers for over 40 years.Still have my 1300 Yamaha.I'am 73 and have had some health issues,cancer in 97,stroke in 05 onpen heart in 10.so felt it was time to change gears.bought the rt in july.6000 mile ride thru the west in june,800 mile ride thru blue ridge over labor day.11,000 miles of fun so far.I think it is a strees free ride.500,600,mile days are sort of the norm for us and the seat still feels good at the end of the day.It's important to find a good dealer and buy an extended warrenty.We love ours and would do it again.

JkRbbt
10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I bought a 2013 RTLtd and I am approaching 65. I can say that you will absolutely enjoy the ride. You will enjoy the stability of 3 wheels. You will LOVE the reverse gear! Saddle comfort will rival any of the big name touring bikes. I no longer worry about tar snakes, loose gravel or bovine exhaust on the road and simply put my foot on the brake and relax at stop signs. That is the good news.

I can't really speak to the heat issue of the 2013s. My right foot gets a little toasty from time to time, but I have not had the problems that others have had. I wish I could tell you why! Heck, I wish BRP could tell us why. If you get a really good deal and you have a dealer that you can trust, I'd say you would really enjoy the experience! Welcome to the forum!

MrLooney
10-28-2013, 12:20 AM
In My Humble Opinion search for a new 2011 or 2012. They have the best reports so far.

Benggolf
10-28-2013, 12:53 AM
We have a 2011 RT Limited and it has never given us any issues.
Took my first long ride from Vancouver, B.C. to Sonora, Ca. last August and it performed
flawlessly.

I am so impressed with the Spyder that I just bought a second Spyder, an STS and have no overheating issues.
By the way, I am 68 and enjoy riding immensely.

Just make sure the dealer performs any recalls and gives the bike a through check before you take her home.
As said previously, there are great deals to ne had on 2013s now!

Hope to see you be a Spyder rider soon! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Wayne,
78338 Get your butt in the saddle! :2thumbs: :roflblack:
Seriously; that's the only real way to tell if it's your or not...
These "bikes" aren't bieks at all... They don't ride, feel or handle like them. If you have any ATV or snowmobile experiene; that's a pretty close approximation to what you should expect.
Happyy shopping! :ohyea::yes: :welcome:

MarkLawson
10-28-2013, 07:30 AM
The 2014's are coming out in November, as I understand it. The differences are significant between the '13 & '14 models. I would recommend you wait just a little while longer and take a second look. You might find a Spyder that you'd like better than the 2013.

Cruzr Joe
10-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Being from Hot Springs you have a lot of Spyders in your area and a very good Non dealer source for mods and service plus a Can Am dealer in Hot Springs, go to a dealer and test ride one, but be prepared to buy one if you test drive it, they are a blast. We just had a Spyder BBQ on Saturday, too bad you missed it, but we try to get together often. Let us know what you decide to do.

Cruzr Joe

MouthPiece
10-28-2013, 07:48 AM
I have a "13" RT-S and I love it. It rides much better than the 2010 through 12's.

Chris

Highwayman2013
10-28-2013, 07:51 AM
We have a 2012 RTL and love it. There are many used machines out there with low miles if the problems of the 2013 give you pause. I was at our local dealer Saturday and they were knocking $7000 off sticker on a 2013 RT Limited. That is hard to ignore. Good luck on your decision.:welcome:

CyncySpyder
10-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Here's a great thread full of usefull info for any new or perspective Spyder Owner to read over to better understand these unique machines, cause they really aren't ANYTHING like what your used to
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners
;) They offer a unique ryde but most of us have come to find that unique ryde to be Very Addictive & Fun Filled ;) You've found the :firstplace: spot on the WWW for Anything & Everything Spyder Related :yes:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64719&d=1363621102 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64718)

Oldmanzues
10-28-2013, 09:11 AM
What do I Like about my Spyders ( o8 GS and now a 2010RT), 99.9 % of everything. I'm kind of on the high side being 78 years old.
Oldmanzues

2ndChildhood
10-28-2013, 09:44 AM
I will be 61 in January. I am having the time of my life on my 2012 RTL. About 17,000 miles in 16 months. It was life changing for me.

Life is Great - Be Safe
ToM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don in E Texas
10-28-2013, 02:55 PM
What do I Like about my Spyders ( o8 GS and now a 2010RT), 99.9 % of everything. I'm kind of on the high side being 78 years old.
Oldmanzues

I had an '08 - traded for my current 2010 RT-S -- and also 78 yrs old. My '08 ran great once the canister 'fix' was done; the 2010 has only had one issue; needed a new battery about 3 weeks ago. I find the dealer and service dept. to be of primary concern for anyone looking into a Spyder.

Don

ARtraveler
10-28-2013, 03:41 PM
:welcome: to the site. Recommend reading up on the 2013 RT's using the search mode. You will find a lot of information about them.

My suggestion, like some others, is to wait out the 2014 RT's or to purchase a pre-2013. A test ride will also help you to determine what suits you best.

PrairieSpyder
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
:welcome:

I don't know about the Hot Springs dealer, but you're not far from Pitbull in Springfield. I agree with everyone to get out there and test-ryde one. Do some research here on the '13s and the fixes that should be done by a dealer. But consider the '14, too.

Have fun!

wishey1
10-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Tomorrow I ride an RT.....

Bob Denman
10-29-2013, 07:22 AM
:2thumbs: We're waiting to hear how it all goes...
Good Luck, and Happy shopping! :yes::ohyea::yes: :thumbup:

Omcge
10-29-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm trying to get up to speed on a Can-Am RT, '13 model.....I know next to nothing about them
but, I'm 60 now and thought I should look into 3-wheelers......anyway, I know all bikes have problems and I've read some heat related issues with the '13.....

My question is are there other issues a first time buyer should know, I.e. buy it or RUN!
I've not even rode one yet, should get one this week, unless I go for the F6B but I will get
one of the two.....

I guess I'm asking are you happy with your RT or is there too much heat, under powered,
seat hurt yur bum, and also what you love about them, great machine, stress free, safer etc.

anything from anyone would be a great help......would like your opinions on the '13 RT...

w:welcome:

I'm 72 and bought a 13 RTL 2 months ago and have 3000 miles on it and haven't been more than 30 miles from home.
I say if you are on the fence to jump in. It is an awesome ride and I love mine and haven't had any problems.

Bob Ledford
10-29-2013, 05:48 PM
I turn 74 in March 2014 and have Parkinson's along with a couple of military disabilities and have been riding since 1955. I gave up two wheels in 1996. Restarted riding in 2011 on a Can-An... The only time I regretted it was the day we got caught in the rain with our rain gear staying dry in the garage.

As others so stated any bike or trike (pick your own word) will have a glitch every now an then. But always when you want to use it. My ride has been virtually a 99.99999 operational ride. Take a demo ride and go for at least and hour. Bet you come back with a grin that would take the undertaker two days to get rid off.

KennW
10-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Have a new 2013 RT Limited Edition and all I can say is buy it and start having an awesome time. Just remember its so different from 2 wheels so take your time getting your head around how it handles.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

soepy
11-02-2013, 12:02 PM

one of the two.....

wI have a 2013 . This is my second one. had a 2011 before. The 2013 is 100% better for riding and handling. Have less heat on this one then on my 2011. Rode the 2014. Great power band. But otherwise the ride was the same as my 2013.

wolphspyder
11-02-2013, 12:15 PM
:welcome:...I drove the wife's 2010 RT, and liked it a lot....got to test ryde a 2013 STS, and loved it, and bought it...I am 65 now, and have had bikes since I was 14.....love this one, and she almost has 2500 miles on her....looking to put many, many more miles on her...:spyder2: :D..Take the test drive...you will get hooked, and love It. :2thumbs:

Spyderrage
11-02-2013, 06:50 PM
I have a 2013 RT S Limited and we absolutly love it . Have had no issues at all . A few have complained about heat issues . We came off riding a Harley Ultra Classic Limited , they must have never rode a bike like the Harley ( with no tupperware under you ) if they want to talk about heat . Like some have said go for a test ride and you will love it . Make sure to find a good dealer and I'm sure you won't have any problem's . It does make a difference , I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade so I know .

one of the two.....

w