PDA

View Full Version : Bad gas- I recommend carrying some of this

Lamonster
07-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Seems like the more we pay for fuel the greater the risk of getting a tank of bad gas. I know there are some guys on my 109 board that really had an issue with a bad tank of gas and on the way home from Valcourt I got a tank of bad gas that I thought for sure was going to leave me broke down in the middle of nowhere. My friend Ron just took a trip to his Dad's and he got a load of bad gas but was able to keep going by adding some Sea Foam to his tank. I've done the same thing on a lot of vehicles and the stuff works great. I'm about to ride cross country and you can be sure I'll have a can of this with me just in case. :doorag:

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080713/e/9/e/e9e8428f95dacf47a9c2aba031038bd80_large.jpg

mike3069
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
:thumbup: I was turned on to this by an old drag racer and retired GM tank builder. Stufs been around forever and definately seems to work. Advanced Auto carrys it, among others.

ataDude
07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
.... it's also good for long term storage and cleaning carbs and FI systems.
:2thumbs:

docdoru
07-13-2008, 01:25 PM
:yikes: http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2189/11335008/20081588/325375858.jpg

dicko
07-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Metho is also quite good. Riders of older Harleys and Kwakas who suffered from carb icing would often carry a bottle of metho. I recently added some to my Roadstar tank after I manged to get some water in my tank. Not sure if it was condensation in my tank or bad fuel but it certainly worked. Not sure what is known by in the US.

http://adunk.ozehosting.com/metho.html

Way2Fast
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Seems like the more we pay for fuel the greater the risk of getting a tank of bad gas. I know there are some guys on my 109 board that really had an issue with a bad tank of gas and on the way home from Valcourt I got a tank of bad gas that I thought for sure was going to leave me broke down in the middle of nowhere. My friend Ron just took a trip to his Dad's and he got a load of bad gas but was able to keep going by adding some Sea Foam to his tank. I've done the same thing on a lot of vehicles and the stuff works great. I'm about to ride cross country and you can be sure I'll have a can of this with me just in case. :doorag:

http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20080713/e/9/e/e9e8428f95dacf47a9c2aba031038bd80_large.jpg

The statement "dries oil and fuel" and "de-icer" would concern me. Does it have alcohol in it to absorb water? In FL and many other states the dam 10% ethanol fuel is ruining marine motors, and just about any engine still using carborators including lawn mowers, chain saws, generators, weed wackers etc. One thing we don't want to add to the fuel is more alcohol !! Besides, if you add it to your fuel tank how is it supposed to "dry oil" ?? Am I missing something here? One of the primary reasons for "bad gas" is that the ethanol mix has absorbed water in the fuel storage tank, separated from the gasoline and sunk to the bottom of the tank, waiting to be sucked up and into your fuel tank when purchased. No aftermarket product is able to fix this. I have always shyed away from products that claim to do it all.....

Richard

Lamonster
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
The statement "dries oil and fuel" and "de-icer" would concern me. Does it have alcohol in it to absorb water? In FL and many other states the dam 10% ethanol fuel is ruining marine motors, and just about any engine still using carborators including lawn mowers, chain saws, generators, weed wackers etc. One thing we don't want to add to the fuel is more alcohol !! Besides, if you add it to your gas tank how is it supposed to "dry oil" ?? Am I missing something here ? I have always shyed away from products that claim to do it all.....

Richard

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

Way2Fast
07-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Reading the info on Sea Foam makes me think it is Marvel Mystery Oil (good stuff) mixed with Dry Gas (not good for fuel that already contains alcohol) mixed together. Or put another way, the claims printed on a can of dry gas and on the container of Marvel Mystery Oil, combined, seem to equal what the mfg. of Sea Foam claims.

Lamonster
07-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Reading the info on Sea Foam makes me think it is Marvel Mystery Oil (good stuff) mixed with Dry Gas (not good for fuel that already contains alcohol) mixed together.
I'm surprised that this stuff is new to you, it's been around for 50 years or more and it does work. I'm not selling the stuff nor do I care if you think it works or not, all I'm saying is it works for me and many others that I know who use it so if you got a better way to fix a load of bad gas while you're on the road in the middle of nowhere I would be glad to hear it. If not then why bother trying to shoot something down you know nothing about? Don't use the stuff, that's fine with me, I'm just trying to help others here.

Way2Fast
07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm surprised that this stuff is new to you, it's been around for 50 years or more and it does work. I'm not selling the stuff nor do I care if you think it works or not, all I'm saying is it works for me and many others that I know who use it so if you got a better way to fix a load of bad gas while you're on the road in the middle of nowhere I would be glad to hear it. If not then why bother trying to shoot something down you know nothing about? Don't use the stuff, that's fine with me, I'm just trying to help others here.

Sorry...but like you said I never heard of the stuff. However, if it works for you, then by all means use it.

Richard

pphantom538
07-21-2008, 10:17 PM

I use it in my boat. Works great especially with the new fuel mixes.

Way2Fast
07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I use it in my boat. Works great especially with the new fuel mixes.

As a marine dealer I get subscriptions to several trade only publications. the "new fuel mixes" ie, ethanol, have raised havoc with marine engines. Roughly 1/2 of the gasoline sold in the US now has at least 10% ethanol added to it. (E10). Many states are considering a 20% mix (E20) Even the 10% level already in use is causing problems with many engines. To achieve the same horsepower more fuel has to be burned because ethanol only provides about 2/3 of the energy of gasoline. It affects engine performance. reliability and increases fuel tank and system component corrosion. It absorbs any moisture in the fuel and then separates from the fuel and sinks to the bottom of the fuel tank where it is sucked up into the engine. According to everything I have read there is NO product, that when added to the fuel system,will prevent or cure the problems associated with ethanol. The chance of getting a tank of water contaminated "bad gas" has increased since the powers to be mandated the switch to alcohol fuel mixes.

Richard

Director
07-22-2008, 12:54 PM
:yikes: http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2189/11335008/20081588/325375858.jpg

Yikes! Looks like a vision from an Al Gore wet dream.:yikes:

Putt-Putt
07-22-2008, 01:19 PM
As a marine dealer I get subscriptions to several trade only publications. the "new fuel mixes" ie, ethanol, have raised havoc with marine engines. Roughly 1/2 of the gasoline sold in the US now has at least 10% ethanol added to it. (E10). Many states are considering a 20% mix (E20) Even the 10% level already in use is causing problems with many engines. To achieve the same horsepower more fuel has to be burned because ethanol only provides about 2/3 of the energy of gasoline. It affects engine performance. reliability and increases fuel tank and system component corrosion. It absorbs any moisture in the fuel and then separates from the fuel and sinks to the bottom of the fuel tank where it is sucked up into the engine. According to everything I have read there is NO product, that when added to the fuel system,will prevent or cure the problems associated with ethanol. The chance of getting a tank of water contaminated "bad gas" has increased since the powers to be mandated the switch to alcohol fuel mixes.

Richard

I guess I have to agree with you on this damned ethanol. It is a solvent which is not a good thing for your engine, Marine or other wise.

SpydeeBite2
07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
what happens with the warranty if you use this product and then develope a engine problem even if the problem was caused by something eles?:dontknow:

Zerocool
07-22-2008, 06:29 PM
As a marine dealer...

It absorbs any moisture in the fuel and then separates from the fuel and sinks to the bottom of the fuel tank where it is sucked up into the engine.

Richard

I'm not a marine dealer (so, I believe what you wrote and am not challenging you ;) ), but having owned a boat for the past 5 years let me share what I was told by my boat yard mechanics, having lived through my share of fuel-related problems.

Gasoline and water will separate, which can be dealt with through a filtering system. Thus, keeping water out of your engine... this is good.

Ethanol will suspend the water within it and never actual separate, therefore passing water, ethanol, and gasoline through the engine... which is bad. Water corrodes the engine parts over time and ethanol eats all rubber, plastic, etc. over time.

So barring the corrosive effects, it would stand to reason that adding more alcohol to "bad gas" (a.k.a. an incombustible fluid) would help you from being stranded.

Way2Fast
07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm not a marine dealer (so, I believe what you wrote and am not challenging you ;) ), but having owned a boat for the past 5 years let me share what I was told by my boat yard mechanics, having lived through my share of fuel-related problems.

Gasoline and water will separate, which can be dealt with through a filtering system. Thus, keeping water out of your engine... this is good.

Ethanol will suspend the water within it and never actual separate, therefore passing water, ethanol, and gasoline through the engine... which is bad. Water corrodes the engine parts over time and ethanol eats all rubber, plastic, etc. over time.

So barring the corrosive effects, it would stand to reason that adding more alcohol to "bad gas" (a.k.a. an incombustible fluid) would help you from being stranded.

As you said, the part of the fuel that is alcohol will suspend the water in it making it an incombustible fluid. Since the water laden alcohol is heavier than the gasoline, it will separate and sink to the bottom of the tank. If your fuel tank were nearly empty, a can of "dry gas" (alcohol) might serve to dilute the existing water laden ethanol and make it more combustible.