PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads & Newbie Driving Habits

HedonismBot
10-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Just brought my '12 RT-S in for the lube on the belt bulletin to help reduce some squeal. The tech mentioned that with 2,700 some odd miles were braking a bit much and the pads will likely need to be replaced at the 4,500 mile service. I asked whether they were dragging and he said that was his first guess but they weren't. He asked if I or my wife had been resting our toes possibly on the brake. I informed him we had the fear of God placed on us to not to do before we even bought it thanks to Spyder Lovers ;) I also asked if it was because we generally ride two up? It seems to me that more brake is needed for an extra 160lbs? He said what we showed was fairly abnormal wear for even two up.

So, I know that I tend to be the main rider 95% of the time and I "feel" like I really only use the brakes actually at a stoplight/sign. I used the throttle to slow down unless I have to quickly slow for a moron or panic stop for an idiot. We've had two panic stops with hard braking since we bought it and probably 90% of our miles is really short city type driving (lots of stop and go) before we got the courage to venture out onto open road.

I really don't think my foot is on the brake. It's always pointing outward to the side more or less. Could our novice rider status and stop-n-go initial mileage be to blame for the wear? I'm assuming he wasn't lying about them dragging (I trust this tech).