PDA

View Full Version : Backrests - Which one?

Dat Guy
10-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi folks!

Can anyone share experiences with or recommend a good backrest? I've seen a couple so far. The Utopia Backrest and Smart Mount Backrest both look pretty good and have comparable pricing. Doesit help the ride? Or is it a waste of money?

Smart Mount

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AbRctbnVkg

Utopia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhS9doWsWpM

Thanks!

SteveMac
10-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I have the Utopia. And it makes the ride much better for me. :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
10-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Most of my Spyder miles have been without a backrest but I had a Utopia on my 2013 and I didn't think I liked it much until I started riding the 2011 without one. I didn't feel like I could adjust the Utopia the way I wanted it but I am finding my back getting tired riding without it now.

Magdave
10-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I like the Utopia it can be adjusted forward and back. It makes me ride more upward I tend to lean forward. I have shorter arms. I wish I could adjust it down just a hair more for my lower back but I can live with it. I suggest you use a piece of 3M double sided tape on it when you get the height adjusted between the 2 pieces it tends to wobble side to side ( unless you like that) mine is solid now adjusted to the lowest height and forward to my liking. It also lets me lean less in the turns I lean back unless it is sharp with no issues. I also ordered the leather post cover for more comfort for the wife. It matches the stitching of the seat too and looks to be a bit larger than the other one.:thumbup:

One additional thing is drill the holes one size bigger it makes for an easier install. Finding the bolt holes and getting the bolts started was the hardest part.

Chupaca
10-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Don't use one. Have the BRP back rest/rack on our RS and lean on the wife. But being sporty and leaning forward I have no use for one. You really have to find a group with rests and try them out. Good luck..!! :thumbup:

Dat Guy
10-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Very interesting. Seems like a mixed bag of preferences.

Don't use one. Have the BRP back rest/rack on our RS and lean on the wife...

That Smart Mount one looks smaller than the Utopia one. Do you think that would keep you from leaning on the lady? I don't want to do that to my wife either!

GloryRyders
10-25-2013, 05:50 AM
I have the Utopia BackRest on our RT and it really works for me. We have done up to 700 mile days before and don't feel "beat up". :2thumbs:

MouthPiece
10-25-2013, 05:53 AM
I have the Corbin backrest. It is a "must" for me. I chose the Corbin not only because I have the Corbin seat, armrests, passenger backrest, but also because the "rider backrest" has a hole in it. That helps a lot for those that might sweat a lot. (especially here in Flarda).

Chris

Bob Denman
10-25-2013, 07:24 AM
First rule of thumb: do NOTHING until you've know exactly what the story is! :shocked:
Have you logged enough miles yet to decide that a backrest is an absolute "Must-Have"?
Are you happy with the OEM seat?
After all; another option might be an Ultimate or Corbion seat with their own propietary backrests...
You've got some research and shopping to do...Have fun! :thumbup:

MarkLawson
10-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Hi folks!

Can anyone share experiences with or recommend a good backrest? I've seen a couple so far. The Utopia Backrest and Smart Mount Backrest both look pretty good and have comparable pricing. Doesit help the ride? Or is it a waste of money?
Utopia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhS9doWsWpM

Thanks!

I hadn't seen the iRyde video before. I happen to be the Spyder owner that Bob, of Utopia, worked with to develop the driver's backrest for the RT. I shipped him my saddle and passenger backrest and asked him to make one that matched in both the upholstery and stitching. I think he did a great job. Because he didn't have a Spyder there, we exchanged about 40 emails with pictures, him asking me to take measurements on the Spyder in certain places. I also sent him plenty of photos and gave him various points of reference so he could see what part of the underside of the saddle matched with what parts on the Spyder. I used a display model at my dealer to make my measurements. I even used Playdough wrapped in plastic wrap to squish between certain places beneath the saddle to get Bob the clearances he needed to properly design the bracket. He was pleased with how I did that, as he had never thought of doing it that way since he'd begun building backrests in the 1970's. If you look on his website at the driver's backrest pictured with the passenger's backrest, you're looking at the first driver's backrest, which is now on my black RT, which is also pictured. The yellow GS pictured is my wife's, although I did not help with the design of that one. He already had that, just didn't have a photo of one installed.

Bob's a great guy & I enjoyed working with him.

finless
10-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I am ordering the Utopia because they are the only one that makes a backrest for the BRP comfort seat.

Bob

SpyderAnn01
10-25-2013, 10:52 AM
This thread makes me wish that BRP would get their website together. I went to check the price on the new comfort seat and backrest but the build a Spyder function still doesn't work and the other alternative just takes you to a dealer list.:banghead:

Bob Denman
10-25-2013, 11:01 AM
:agree: If I can't ride; I want to SHOP!! :gaah:

Magdave
10-25-2013, 11:20 AM
This thread makes me wish that BRP would get their website together. I went to check the price on the new comfort seat and backrest but the build a Spyder function still doesn't work and the other alternative just takes you to a dealer list.:banghead:

I know the BRP 2014 plug in backrest is $450 and is not adjustable. That is for the standard RT S/LTD seat but I would assume a comfort seat for a 2014 would have the same mount system and be near the same price as current offerings. I also assume the base RT seat does not come with the pre supplied peg holes for the BRP back rest. I am trying to verify that.

SpyderAnn01
10-25-2013, 11:41 AM
I know the BRP 2014 plug in backrest is $450 and is not adjustable. That is for the standard RT S/LTD seat but I would assume a comfort seat for a 2014 would have the same mount system and be near the same price as current offerings. I also assume the base RT seat does not come with the pre supplied peg holes for the BRP back rest. I am trying to verify that.
I think the base seat does come with the holes. So if the backrest is $450 and the Comfort Seat is probably $550 + I may go a different direction. I really like the BRP Comfort Seat but doesn't have much lumbar support - even less than the stock seat.

What to do, what to do..................

finless
10-25-2013, 11:43 AM
I think the base seat does come with the holes. So if the backrest is $450 and the Comfort Seat is probably $550 + I may go a different direction. I really like the BRP Comfort Seat but doesn't have much lumbar support - even less than the stock seat.

Really? My comfort seat has a higher and more forward pointing lumbar than my 2011 stock seat had. I did buy the comfort seat new from a spyderlover that did not use it so I do not know what year it was made. Possible some changes to that over the years?

Needless to say I love my comfort seat and I did sit on a spyder with a corbin.

Bob

Magdave
10-25-2013, 11:51 AM

All the seats except for the base RT are 2 tone which is why I think it may not have the mounting system. I am not sure if the BR is 2 tone or not. Just a guess:dontknow:

Base http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/spyder/spyder-rt/spyder-rt/features.html#feature1705583352

expected release date for the backrest is Nov14 BTW

MarkLawson
10-25-2013, 03:47 PM
I have wondered if the hardware associated with the 2014 saddle might be a problem for Utopia to develop one for their backrest. It might require a different setup for them that could cause them to rethink if they want to offer one. I'm sure Bob would like to see the saddle to decide if he can build one.

rcantrell52
10-25-2013, 04:00 PM
We have been happy with the Utopia backrest on our 2010 RT-S
Reese

Dat Guy
10-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Hmm...

Has anyone here had a chance at a show or something to sit on a seat with the Utopia one and a seat with the Show Chrome Smart Mount that could share the differences of each?

Magdave
10-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Hmm...

Has anyone here had a chance at a show or something to sit on a seat with the Utopia one and a seat with the Show Chrome Smart Mount that could share the differences of each?

Both are quality items but Utopia is bigger and adjusts forward and back. I need the added adjustment to be comfortable. If you have long arms Show Chrome is fine but Utopia bag comes off and can be taken with you as a shoulder bag.

From Utopia's sight.

Our Built-In Driver Backrest
A driver's backrest that becomes a part of your seat. No bars in the way of driver's hips and legs or passenger's legs. Folds forward to ease passenger getting on or off and adds to safety by getting out of the way in sudden stops. Includes up and down height adjustment, as well as driver seating position, back and forth, to help driver sit upright to avoid slouching--a big factor in driver fatigue.
Backrest is concaved and pivots at top of bar as you lean against it so no uncomfortable edges dig into your back. Well padded, but only 1 1/2" thick which takes up less seating room than most other backrests. All Top Bars are finished in a Beautiful Black Powder Coat. Comes with handy pouch with strap to convert to shoulder bag.

Bob Denman
10-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks for that info; Dave... :thumbup:
I'm now "forced :shocked:" to take a wait and see stance...
time to sort the options out! :D

RyderJCF
10-26-2013, 06:58 AM
I put the SmartMount backrest on my 2012 RT Limited and love it - fortunately have a friend who's installed a couple for other folks - definitely helped having someone with experience assist with the install!

Magdave
10-26-2013, 10:45 AM
One thing I forgot to mention about the Utopia is you can buy a bracket that makes it removable from the seat just slides in and out and has a snap on cover for when it is out. I chose to go with permanent mount ( you can still un bolt it) because it will not wiggle. The removable bracket has a little wiggle to it.

stillriding
10-26-2013, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Magdave;711984]I know the BRP 2014 plug in backrest is $450 and is not adjustable.

NOT adjustable? That's absurd.

Magdave
10-26-2013, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=Magdave;711984]I know the BRP 2014 plug in backrest is $450 and is not adjustable.

NOT adjustable? That's absurd.

Yep that is BRP for ya :thumbup: Only thing it does is fold over for the passenger.

Bob Denman
10-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm hoping that the aftermarket will offer a plug-in alternative that IS adjustable... :thumbup:

Magdave
10-26-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm hoping that the aftermarket will offer a plug-in alternative that IS adjustable... :thumbup:
I am sure Utopia will be looking at one ASAP ( I hope)

Bob Denman
10-26-2013, 06:44 PM
:agree:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_15.gif

Diggerdog
12-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I do not like the idea of anyone making holes in my seat to install any backrest product. I chose a new seat from Ultimate Seats because the backrest hardware is built into the seat. You must buy a backrest from them that fits into the slot provided on the seat....it has worked great for me, and even improved my overall sitting position as well, because the seat is bigger, deeper, and more comfortable than the BRP comfort seat which is standard on the Spyder..IF you get the ultimate seat with the gray stitches, then it will match the stitching on the OEM BRP backrest....it looks like a perfect set...

ARtraveler
12-13-2013, 02:29 PM
First rule of thumb: do NOTHING until you've know exactly what the story is! :shocked:
Have you logged enough miles yet to decide that a backrest is an absolute "Must-Have"?
Are you happy with the OEM seat?
After all; another option might be an Ultimate or Corbion seat with their own propietary backrests...
You've got some research and shopping to do...Have fun! :thumbup:

Good advice above. Log some miles first. I have back issues so a back rest is a necessity for me. I started with the OEM seat on my 2010 but had a Utopia installed before I drove it off the lot. I kept the OEM seat on for less than 500 miles--it was way to soft for me. Went to a Corbin seat with the Corbin backrest. That combo has been on the 2010 for 35,000 miles. Also had the same set up on my 2008 GS--for 23,500 miles before trading in.

The new 2014's come with a factory backrest option and I am going to go with that from the git go. If needed, I will change to a comfort seat. The new seats have a nice sculpted back for the rider--so that may also be a plus.

JonahAshk
12-21-2013, 05:19 AM
just ordered the the Smart Mount™ Driver's Backrest , its looks great , smaller a bit but give me exactly what i need because the rt seats already comes big and comfortable , am very excited cant wait to instal it my self :yes:

ThreeWheels
12-21-2013, 07:56 AM

Utopia offers a plug in design. I have the standard design.

I think the Smart Mount back rest came out after the Utopia.
I got the Utopia one for my Spyder.
It seems much bigger than the Smart Mount and I think it looks better since the upholstery matches the the existing passenger back rest.

That's my opinion, but I could be wrong.