PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Heat on ST Bars

ZRCAT600
10-24-2013, 08:32 PM
How many bars are people showing who are having big heat issues on their ST's. I show any ware from 3 to 5 depending on where I am driving. It feels warm but not unbearable. Just curious if some people are showing more than 5.

charles4690
10-24-2013, 08:44 PM
E
How many bars are people showing who are having big heat issues on their ST's. I show any ware from 3 to 5 depending on where I am driving. It feels warm but not unbearable. Just curious if some people are showing more than 5.
I have 2013 st-s and the heat bars usually stay at 5-6. Today it was 48 degrees when I went for a ride and within 30 minutes the heat was coming out of the seat and right side so much I needed to move around on the seat. The fan was coming on and off while riding in below 50 degrees. It was also very windy on the highway.

chuck gross
10-24-2013, 08:52 PM
My STL runs typically between 3 to 5 bars I think the highest I have ever seen it was 6 bars in 85 degree heat and yes it gets a little hot on the left hand side but not unbearable

SNOOPY
10-24-2013, 09:43 PM
I think mine stays at 4 most of the time.

No real problem for me riding for and hour to an hour and a half. :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
10-24-2013, 09:52 PM
The temp gauge measures the water temp and I do not believe that there is any connection to the temp gauge and excessive heat coming from under the plastic. My RT never went over mid range on the temp gauge and it burned to the ground

SNOOPY
10-24-2013, 09:57 PM
:agree:

NancysToy
10-24-2013, 10:00 PM

There are different kinds of heat problems. Most owners do not have engine (cooling system) overheating...staying within the normal temperature range on the gauge. Some riders experience a heat problem on the right or left foot. These are due to heat coming from either the radiator outlet vent (right) or the catalytic converter (left). They can be aggravated by high ambient temperatures or modifications that change the foot position. The right one also seems to be more evident on the Spyders with factory footboards. Another type of reported heat problem is excess heat at the gas cap, seat/tank junction, side panels near the legs, or under the seat. These seem to be relegated to the 2013 ST and RT, vary from machine to machine, and have been hard to address or find an exact cause. The most crucial problem is the chance of the radiated heat on the 2013 RT or ST melting the brake master cylinder manifold or the emissions system evap canister. These are fire hazards and the MC problem could cause brake failure. A factory safety recall has been issued for affected machines and notifications sent. If you have one of these machines be sure to have the recall work performed ASAP!

ZRCAT600
10-24-2013, 10:10 PM
I did have the recall done. So I should be in good shape? I do love the ST, however it is like 38 degrees here in Minnesota. I may need to break out my snowmobile gear to ride my Spyder! :D Not a big deal. It's still the best riding snowmobile I have ever had and the trails are great!:clap:

AZLife
10-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Not to hijack your thread with my RT-S comment, but I don't have bars, but rather a temperature gauge. My gauge regularly runs between half and a little below the 2/3 mark (with 2/3 being red). Is that normal for the RT-S's out there?

NancysToy
10-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Not to hijack your thread with my RT-S comment, but I don't have bars, but rather a temperature gauge. My gauge regularly runs between half and a little below the 2/3 mark (with 2/3 being red). Is that normal for the RT-S's out there?
That is typical. If the engine overheats you will get a warning...and probably limp mode. If your fan isn't running frequently except in triple digit temperatures or stop-n-go traffic, your Spyder is normal.

Chupaca
10-24-2013, 10:26 PM
that the heat issues have little to do with the engine temp. Most run between 3-5. The heat accumulation from exhaust cat converter combined with normal engine temp and little space to let it out is the problem. So from what you say you are fine as far as engine temp...!!:thumbup:

AZLife
10-25-2013, 09:32 PM
That is typical. If the engine overheats you will get a warning...and probably limp mode. If your fan isn't running frequently except in triple digit temperatures or stop-n-go traffic, your Spyder is normal.

What would you consider frequently for the fan? I just took the Blue Recluse out for a cool 74 degree night time ride and I heard the fan come on many times (Didn't realize the fan being on so much before this particular ride, as tonight I drove without a helmet and I can hear the fan). I also wore shorts and sneakers and felt a lot of heat on my left ankle. I haven't noticed these things before. It's only less than two months old and they said they did the recall before it was handed over to me. Anything to worry about? Should I just wait to see what happens next summer when it's 112 degrees outside here?

Thanks for any feedback.

NancysToy
10-26-2013, 06:39 AM
What would you consider frequently for the fan? I just took the Blue Recluse out for a cool 74 degree night time ride and I heard the fan come on many times (Didn't realize the fan being on so much before this particular ride, as tonight I drove without a helmet and I can hear the fan). I also wore shorts and sneakers and felt a lot of heat on my left ankle. I haven't noticed these things before. It's only less than two months old and they said they did the recall before it was handed over to me. Anything to worry about? Should I just wait to see what happens next summer when it's 112 degrees outside here?

Thanks for any feedback.

Frequently depends on the speed, the ambient temperature, and specifically the engine temperature. At 74 degrees I would not expect the fan to come on at all unless you were riding slowly or in stop-n-go traffic. At about 5+ to 6 bars or marks on the gauge it will then come on in order to do its job. The radiator discharge blows out on the right side...it should not affect your left foot unless you have cut out some panels. The left side heat is more likely from the exhaust pipe. Some radiated heat there is normal. Shorts and sneakers are not appropriate riding wear, so if you choose to wear them, expect to feel some heat, especially on the left side near the exhaust.

AZLife
10-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Frequently depends on the speed, the ambient temperature, and specifically the engine temperature. At 74 degrees I would not expect the fan to come on at all unless you were riding slowly or in stop-n-go traffic. At about 5+ to 6 bars or marks on the gauge it will then come on in order to do its job. The radiator discharge blows out on the right side...it should not affect your left foot unless you have cut out some panels. The left side heat is more likely from the exhaust pipe. Some radiated heat there is normal. Shorts and sneakers are not appropriate riding wear, so if you choose to wear them, expect to feel some heat, especially on the left side near the exhaust.

Thanks, Scotty. Now I could ask what you consider "slow", but I won't :D. I think a few times when the fan was on I was just sitting idle in a parking lot looking at all the options on the digital display. But the other times I was probably going slow, maybe around 35 or so. I'll just start paying more attention to it. Being in Arizona with our days still around 90, I might be in shorts and just get the urge to hop on the Blue Recluse for a quick ride around town without an outfit change. So according to what you are saying, maybe the heat I'm feeling at my right ankle is just "normal" heat. Good to know. My gas cap never gets so hot where I can't touch it, but the black "bar" (lack for better words) above that going down the center of the bike under the seat does get so hot more towards the top I can't leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. And I do get the most heat around each side of the glove box . One of these days I will start get up the guts to start "wrapping" some of the internal components on my own. I guess until Summer here, I have just been hoping in the back of my mind that BRP will come out with a "fix", bandaid, or volunteer to absorb some of the cost of providing these "aftermarket" mods we seem to be having to do to minimize the heat we are experiencing (yeah, likely chance I know). Thanks for your knowledgeable replies to this newbie, and sorry once again to the thread owner for me hijacking your thread with my questions. Next time I will start my own :(..

NancysToy
10-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks, Scotty. Now I could ask what you consider "slow", but I won't :D. I think a few times when the fan was on I was just sitting idle in a parking lot looking at all the options on the digital display. But the other times I was probably going slow, maybe around 35 or so. I'll just start paying more attention to it. Being in Arizona with our days still around 90, I might be in shorts and just get the urge to hop on the Blue Recluse for a quick ride around town without an outfit change. So according to what you are saying, maybe the heat I'm feeling at my right ankle is just "normal" heat. Good to know. My gas cap never gets so hot where I can't touch it, but the black "bar" (lack for better words) above that going down the center of the bike under the seat does get so hot more towards the top I can't leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. And I do get the most heat around each side of the glove box . One of these days I will start get up the guts to start "wrapping" some of the internal components on my own. I guess until Summer here, I have just been hoping in the back of my mind that BRP will come out with a "fix", bandaid, or volunteer to absorb some of the cost of providing these "aftermarket" mods we seem to be having to do to minimize the heat we are experiencing (yeah, likely chance I know). Thanks for your knowledgeable replies to this newbie, and sorry once again to the thread owner for me hijacking your thread with my questions. Next time I will start my own :(..
Sitting still the fan will come on in just a few minutes...even at temperatures below 50. Running around at speeds below 35 can cause it to cycle periodically, especially in warm weather. These would both be considered to be normal. Heat near the right foot, especially with the fan running, would be normal (although maybe not pleasant or even tolerable). Heat on the left side may or may not be normal. There is a certain amount from the exhaust pipe, but for most riders with appropriate gear, it is seldom objectionable. So much heat on the center panel that you cannot touch it is not normal, IMO. Some 2013 ST's seems to be plagued by excessive heat build-up in this area, and the RT's to some extent too (but less noticeable due to the glove box. Some 2013s exhibit more heat at the center panel and seat than others, just as some have melted master cylinders and evap canisters and others have not.

AZLife
10-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks, Scotty. Guess I'll just keep riding till I smell smoke :yikes: I guess if it was that bad I wouldn't want to be out riding everyday. Appreciate your replies!

Benggolf
10-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Temperature on my STS runs between 4-5 bars. At higher cruising speeds, it can drop to even 3 bars on occasion because of the cooler temperatures now. I have yet to see it at 6 bars.

Benggolf
12-30-2013, 12:41 AM
If I get the chance to ride nowadays with OAT running about 6 degrees C, the STS runs up to 5 bars in slow traffic and drops down to 2 to 4 bars when I can keep a steady 50 kph.

SNOOPY
12-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Wow, still running 5 bars in those low outside temps?

I wonder if a lower thermostat is in order?

it would be nice to know what actual temp each bar represents.

NancysToy
12-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Wow, still running 5 bars in those low outside temps?

I wonder if a lower thermostat is in order?

it would be nice to know what actual temp each bar represents.
The thermostat doesn't open until 3. 3-5 is pretty normal. Each instrument will read a little differently, too. There is no need to worry unless the machine overheats and shows a warning light, the fan runs frequently in cool temperatures, the fan doesn't run with the gauge at 6 or above, the Spyder suddenly starts running well well above where it normally does with no change in ambient temperatures, or doesn't heat past one bar no matter what (except maybe in Minnesota in the winter). It is because people fret and worry needlessly about the "number of marks" on an unlabeled gauge that idiot lights were invented. nojoke

Mets79ST2013
12-30-2013, 09:01 AM
On my ST-S is the same, it gets very hot but it shows 3-5 never more than that, as per a BRP agent that I'm talking to he keeps asking me when I will stop riding in the winter, I told him few times that I'm like the mail man, not SNOW, RAIN, BLIZZARD, COLD will stop me from riding, I left him a message last week regarding my bike getting HOT and he has not return my call...but I'm still riding.

SNOOPY
12-30-2013, 09:15 AM
The thermostat doesn't open until 3. 3-5 is pretty normal. Each instrument will read a little differently, too. There is no need to worry unless the machine overheats and shows a warning light, the fan runs frequently in cool temperatures, the fan doesn't run with the gauge at 6 or above, the Spyder suddenly starts running well well above where it normally does with no change in ambient temperatures, or doesn't heat past one bar no matter what (except maybe in Minnesota in the winter). It is because people fret and worry needlessly about the "number of marks" on an unlabeled gauge that idiot lights were invented. nojoke

Why would the fan stop at 6 or above?

NancysToy
12-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Why would the fan stop at 6 or above?
If it fails.

billybovine
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
If I get the chance to ride nowadays with OAT running about 6 degrees C, the STS runs up to 5 bars in slow traffic and drops down to 2 to 4 bars when I can keep a steady 50 kph.

Running at 2 bars at highway speed in cold weather is normal. My 09GS did and 13ST does that. Every time you slow down the temp will go up and drop again when you speed up. One warning is when riding in cold conditions with the temp gauge reading 2 or 3 bars, the gas mileage will drop like a stone. My GS would lose up to 20% and my ST will lose 10 to 15%. So be prepared to stop for fuel more often.

Mets79ST2013
12-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Do you feel your bike is hot, not the engine because is a different type of heat, one that is coming up from the sides of your seat...that is the heat that we feel on our ST, also after riding for 45 minutes or so.

SNOOPY
12-30-2013, 01:44 PM
If it fails.

Oops, just misunderstood your wording.

SNOOPY
12-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Do you feel your bike is hot, not the engine because is a different type of heat, one that is coming up from the sides of your seat...that is the heat that we feel on our ST, also after riding for 45 minutes or so.

I think you're referring to trapped in heat from little airflow. Mine wasn't that bad, but as precautions I added some heat shield to my side panels near my seat and leg areas, wrapped most of my upper exhaust tubes, and drill some large holes in the plastic pans under the bike.

All just in hopes of alleviating any discomforts in the future.

billybovine
12-30-2013, 03:18 PM
I think you're referring to trapped in heat from little airflow. Mine wasn't that bad, but as precautions I added some heat shield to my side panels near my seat and leg areas, wrapped most of my upper exhaust tubes, and drill some large holes in the plastic pans under the bike.

All just in hopes of alleviating any discomforts in the future.

First I added heat shielding insulation to the side panels near my legs and I don't think that did any good at all. Then I blocked the airflow with some close cell foam weather stripping from the hardware store. I sealed the area between the inner plastic panel and outer side panels. Also between the top of the frame and the top center panel. There is no more hot air coming out from under the seat. I no longer have excess heat comfort issue at all anymore. The foam cost me 15 bucks and I have half a roll left.

SNOOPY
12-30-2013, 07:54 PM
First I added heat shielding insulation to the side panels near my legs and I don't think that did any good at all. Then I blocked the airflow with some close cell foam weather stripping from the hardware store. I sealed the area between the inner plastic panel and outer side panels. Also between the top of the frame and the top center panel. There is no more hot air coming out from under the seat. I no longer have excess heat comfort issue at all anymore. The foam cost me 15 bucks and I have half a roll left.

Sounds good :thumbup:

What did you mean by "inner panel and outer side panels" ?

billybovine
12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Sounds good :thumbup:

What did you mean by "inner panel and outer side panels" ?

What I am calling the inner panels are the 2 black plastic panels under the seat that cover the gas tank on both sides of the frame. The outer panels are the 2 upper mid tupperware beside your knees when you are sitting on the Spyder. The 2 upper side panels above that and the center panel is the one with the accessories switches in it. What I did was fill the gap between the very front of the inner panels, frame and the outer tupperware.

Gordy
12-31-2013, 11:49 AM
It would be nice if the fan could be reversed in slow or stop and go traffic.I think that there is an aftermarket kit for Goldwings to do this

SNOOPY
12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
What I am calling the inner panels are the 2 black plastic panels under the seat that cover the gas tank on both sides of the frame. The outer panels are the 2 upper mid tupperware beside your knees when you are sitting on the Spyder. The 2 upper side panels above that and the center panel is the one with the accessories switches in it. What I did was fill the gap between the very front of the inner panels, frame and the outer tupperware.

Gotcha :thumbup:

Bob Denman
01-02-2014, 12:56 PM
It would be nice if the fan could be reversed in slow or stop and go traffic.I think that there is an aftermarket kit for Goldwings to do this
We've got a couple of folks in here looking at that option... and figuring out how to make it happen! :thumbup:

JacqueTanis
01-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Never ... my problem is the heat being trapped under the plastics with no way to escape!

JacqueTanis
01-08-2014, 08:49 PM
E
I have 2013 st-s and the heat bars usually stay at 5-6. Today it was 48 degrees when I went for a ride and within 30 minutes the heat was coming out of the seat and right side so much I needed to move around on the seat. The fan was coming on and off while riding in below 50 degrees. It was also very windy on the highway.

That's scary ... how's your coolant level?