PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

easysuper
10-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Recently purchased a new 2013 RT-S rode many years ago , got my endorsement in 69 , been off bikes for years , am NOT a wrench turner by any means . Do not like it and never will . Did not do a ton of research before buying , maybe should have :opps:. Now have 1200 miles of some great rides around my great PNW , including Crater Lake and the North Cal. Redwoods . My question to all you Spyder owners out there , If I'm not a mechanic how do I get all these must haves, (sway bars etc.) installed . Some of this stuff I can do , as I do have skills as I built my entire house myself , ( with help from the wife) but when I read about stacking blocks up like jenja to install a sway bar that is a must have, it make me wonder why a company like BRP would release a product that needs so much done to it after market , or am I missing something? So far I really love this bike an am planning a ride across country Newport OR Boston Mass Hwy. 20 next summer , but am wondering will this thing hold up or not ? Like I'm reading of the things catching on fire , nose diving , scary stuff. :shocked:Please enlighten me .:banghead:

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Welcome to the Party!! :yes::ohyea::yes: :2thumbs:
The must-haves... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif I would venture to say that if you've got the instructions and don't feel up to it; your dealer should know the bike well-enough to nail things into place for you!
That having been said; most of the best farkles take on a special value, that comes with the satisfaction of a job well-done! :thumbup:

Motorcycledave
10-24-2013, 04:31 PM
I sent you a PM

Recently purchased a new 2013 RT-S rode many years ago , got my endorsement in 69 , been off bikes for years , am NOT a wrench turner by any means . Do not like it and never will . Did not do a ton of research before buying , maybe should have :opps:. Now have 1200 miles of some great rides around my great PNW , including Crater Lake and the North Cal. Redwoods . My question to all you Spyder owners out there , If I'm not a mechanic how do I get all these must haves, (sway bars etc.) installed . Some of this stuff I can do , as I do have skills as I built my entire house myself , ( with help from the wife) but when I read about stacking blocks up like jenja to install a sway bar that is a must have, it make me wonder why a company like BRP would release a product that needs so much done to it after market , or am I missing something? So far I really love this bike an am planning a ride across country Newport OR Boston Mass Hwy. 20 next summer , but am wondering will this thing hold up or not ? Like I'm reading of the things catching on fire , nose diving , scary stuff. :shocked:Please enlighten me .:banghead:

StillKickin
10-24-2013, 04:34 PM
I say just enjoy the bike. You may not do any upgrades/mods. I did replace the sway bar as my bike wasn't real stable behind a semi. Sway bar is not difficult if you decide to change that out. Elka shocks did more than anything to correct that issue. Again, yours may not need anything. Ride it like you stole it! Let us know, this board is a wonderful source of information. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

jerpinoy
10-24-2013, 04:58 PM
I say just enjoy the bike. You may not do any upgrades/mods. I did replace the sway bar as my bike wasn't real stable behind a semi. Sway bar is not difficult if you decide to change that out. Elka shocks did more than anything to correct that issue. Again, yours may not need anything. Ride it like you stole it! Let us know, this board is a wonderful source of information. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

:agree::agree: You don't have to do anything. Farkles and mods are individual choices.

murphybrown
10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
I have driven my RT solo into all 48 states and Canadian Provinces. I travel solo 98% of the time and am totally not mechanical. Do I have farkles?...absolutely...are they necessary?...NO...but I'm a salesman's delight and I love to ryde Ms Spyder. Ryde yours like there is no tomorrow...and only add a mod if you really want to....many run just fine stock...altho I must say the floorboards and cup holder realllllly made a difference. Enjoy your ryde..:thumbup:

RBS66
10-24-2013, 07:21 PM
The Baja Ron Swaybar is really nice. I just had my dealer install it for 80 bucks well worth it. I don't do too much wrenching either.

Chupaca
10-24-2013, 07:55 PM
if your bike is handling to your liking you don't have to change a thing. These machines are set up well for the average ryder and don't need to be modified. As you get better and more comfortabke you may want more in the twisties etc and can consider modifing things. You have time, don't rush into things...enjoy..!! :ohyea:

easysuper
10-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all the reply's , As a new owner this is a great site to get information good and or bad , but at least one feels he's not at the mercy of a good salesman or service tec. The Dealer where I purchased my bike seams to be great, only trouble is they are 200 miles from my home , but there is a dealer there also , just have to check them out . Wife is coming down this weekend for another ride before the weather changes for good , she is loving this thing and wants to name it now . Now if I could only figure out how to add photos to this thing I could share !

bullant12
10-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the reply's , As a new owner this is a great site to get information good and or bad , but at least one feels he's not at the mercy of a good salesman or service tec. The Dealer where I purchased my bike seams to be great, only trouble is they are 200 miles from my home , but there is a dealer there also , just have to check them out . Wife is coming down this weekend for another ride before the weather changes for good , she is loving this thing and wants to name it now . Now if I could only figure out how to add photos to this thing I could share !

No hurt to ask fellow Spyderlovers and riders out there that are willing to give you a hand installing parts. I myself being one of them if you were close.
Heck, sometimes the ride is worth doing the mod itself!;)

Bob Denman
10-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Wife is coming down this weekend for another ride before the weather changes for good , she is loving this thing and wants to name it now . Now if I could only figure out how to add photos to this thing I could share !
If Momma is happy; the entire World revolves a whole lot more smoothly! :thumbup:

Pictures... When your'e typing in the dialogue box and getting ready to post something; take a look above where all of your typing mistakes are (:D).
The second row of "Stuff" (The one with Bold, Italicize, and underline at it's stating point...), go to the third box of buttons (four of them; the one on the right looks like a piece of videotape...). The one to the left of the "tape"; roll your cursor over it, and it should say "insert image"
Click on itA box will pop up...
Up near the top, you'll see "From Computer", and "from URL"
Make sure that it's looking for the pictures from your computer... (The choice on the left)
Bottom center; hit "select files" Thils'll take you into the bowels of your computer to pick out whatever pictures you want to upload. NOTE: there's about a 2mb file size limit; you might have to resize your images if they're too big...
As you click on images, it'll bring you back to this box; keep hitting "select files", until you've grabbed the ones that you want.
Then hit "upload files"
They'll pop into your dialogue box, and you're good to go! :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
10-25-2013, 10:39 AM
:welcome:

I'm not able to do mechanical work myself, but my brother is. Between him and the vendors at Spyderfest in Mo, I've been able to get anything installed. There are 2 items I'd definitely recommend - the BajaRon anti-sway bar and the bump skid.

Like others have said, just enjoy your ride and then think about farkling. You'll get an idea of what you need the more miles you get.

ARtraveler
10-25-2013, 02:43 PM
:welcome: Farkles on the :spyder2: are a personal choice. I am also not a wrench person. The farkles that I have added that were beyond me, I had my dealer install. Cost more $, but at least they were done right.

IMO: Most performance farkles are to enhance the ryde of the :ani29:, and not to fix defects or shortcomings of the vehicle from the manufacturer.

Enjoy your ryde. :thumbup:

Spyder Tony
10-25-2013, 04:19 PM
My dealer (Elk Grove Powersports) will instal any mod or farkle for me at the going shop rate ($160/hr). it is comforting to know that they are there when I don't feel qualified to do a particular install. Also, As a member of SROA (Spyder Ryders of America) Sacramento Chapter, there a host of people who have offered to complete a DIY project with me. I have yet to see a Spyder owner who would not help out a fellow owner if they are able to. Even to the point of driving out of their way to meetup & help out.:clap:

d.o.spyder-rts
10-26-2013, 10:40 AM
:congrats: on your spyder purchase and:welcome:to the spyder web. Dale