PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock loosing air

bluestratos
10-24-2013, 09:21 AM
A few days ago I was looking at the back of my bike and thought it seemed shorter than normal. My first thought was a flat rear tire but it is fine. I pushed down on the trunk and the suspension was very soft and the rear fender was much closer to the groud (by 4" it turns out). I started the bike, put it in gear and released the emergency brake then listened for the pump. It came on right away and lifted the back of the bike by 4". The suspension was then firm again and was fine during the ride.

Yesterday I found the same thing so I repeated the process then shut down and went into the house. 3 hours later the bike had lost the air again. Any thoughts as to is this normal and I never noticed it before or, if not, where should I start looking- Air Bladder? Air Manifold Assembly?

Can these be tested with soapy water?

Thanks,

Randy

finless
10-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Eliminate the easy thing first. The shrader valve (like on the tires where you can read air valve from pump, or bag and thus off to the dealer in my opinion. The bag is considered a wear item so it wont be covered under warranty.

Bob

RBS66
10-24-2013, 10:40 AM
I have a 2013 RT mine does not have a built-in pump. But my airbag had a hole in it And needed to be replaced. I'm not sure about yours with the built-in pump though.

bluestratos
10-24-2013, 02:14 PM
I am guessing the air bag but I will check the valve. I will change the parts my self once I determine the cause. So this POS continues to have major problems every other month, lol... Oh Joy Oh Joy

NancysToy
10-24-2013, 05:57 PM
As was said, check Schrader valve first. Could also be a leaking air bag, piping, or a failure of the air release solenoid.

KeithInAurora
10-24-2013, 09:41 PM
My 2010 RT A/C won't hold air for more than a few hours. Everyday I ride it, I need to refill the airbag because it will go flat.

redflasher
10-25-2013, 07:46 AM
My 2010 RT A/C won't hold air for more than a few hours. Everyday I ride it, I need to refill the airbag because it will go flat.

Yeah, mine also. Dealer says they have never heard of that happening and wanted my Spyder for a "Few days" to try to replicate the problem. Weather was too nice to go without it and now it's too damn cold to get it to the dealer. I'll try again in the spring.

flaggerphil
10-25-2013, 08:15 AM
I had the same problem with my 2011 RT-AC. The dealer replaced the leaking bag under warranty. Haven't had a problem since.

bullant12
10-25-2013, 08:35 AM
I had the same problem with my 2011 RT-AC. The dealer replaced the leaking bag under warranty. Haven't had a problem since.

Same here with my 2010. Found the leak right away and got the replacement kit in 2 days, third day I rode her out of the dealer!

bluestratos
10-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the information, I went out to check for a leak yesterday hoping I could hear it but no luck. So I double check checked the shrader valve, tested with a bit of water and no leaks there. I went for a short ride to do an errand the put it back in the garage. This morning no change, it was still full and back at the normal height. This seems to rule out the bladder or piping so I am guessing a failure of the air release solenoid is the culprit. If so I believe that is covered under the extended warrant or am I wrong?

Thanks again

finless
10-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the information, I went out to check for a leak yesterday hoping I could hear it but no luck. So I double check checked the shrader valve, tested with a bit of water and no leaks there. I went for a short ride to do an errand the put it back in the garage. This morning no change, it was still full and back at the normal height. This seems to rule out the bladder or piping so I am guessing a failure of the air release solenoid is the culprit. If so I believe that is covered under the extended warrant or am I wrong?

Thanks again

Yes the valve should be covered.

Bob

bluestratos
10-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Bob :-)