PDA

View Full Version : Winter Virgins

mxz600
10-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Woke up this morning to a couple inches of snow on the ground. The roads were wet and temps were above freezing. So on the commute to work this morning people are driving like the roads are ice packed and slippery.:gaah: Damn people, the roads are not going to freeze if temps are well above freezing. Drive like you've lived in Michigan before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsR0DeY7f1g

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 08:38 AM
:agree: Drive faster; that way, you'll be in front of the folks who don't know how to drive on slippery roads! :shocked:

retread
10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
I grew up in Pontiac, before I retired, lived in Waterford, worked in Wayne. It was interesting to see people who couldn't get above 8 mph on clear secondary roads take it up to 85 once they got on 275. Since I moved to Indiana, I see a lot more 4 wheel drive vehicles than I ever saw in Michigan, folks tell me they need them to get around in winter.

john

SpyderAnn01
10-24-2013, 10:20 AM
:roflblack: you can have your Pure Michigan. I'll be enjoying a high in the low 80s today with abundant sunshine and light winds. Pure Nevada!

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 10:34 AM
:shocked: :gaah:
We managed our first halfway-decent frost last night... and today is just a bone-chilling, raw, cold, miserable day! :gaah:
Hey! Have you run that loaner up to it's first needed oil change yet? :thumbup:

USAFE7RET
10-24-2013, 11:30 AM
When I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB in th U.P., it was fun to watch the folks drive like crazy with the 4-wheel drive pickup, camper shell on the back, and the bed full of concrete blocks. With the 2 lane roads crowded by the Jack Pines, they would only be able to go a couple of truck lengths into the trees when they went straight at the 90 degree left or right turns between the base and Marquette. But they sure could go like crazy on the straight road! :yes:

jerpinoy
10-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Smart driving is the word for the day. Last winter, I've seen people with 4 wheel drive on a ditch because of stupid driving.

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 12:19 PM
The first and last storms of the year... those are the ones when we get the most calls! :shocked: :gaah:
And I thought that MY memory was bad! :D

retread
10-24-2013, 01:01 PM
I remember being told "some people have 4 wheel drive, so they can move better in the snow...but they forget that everybody has 4 wheel brakes, and that can cause some problems for them.

john

ARtraveler
10-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Most people can get up and go in that kind of weather. Its the stopping and keeping your vehicle under control that causes most of the problems.

Pretty much everyone has either four wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicles here in Alaska. Anytime there is a snow event, you can see dozens of cars upside down in the ditch after they were singing the "I Am Invincibile--I Have a Four Wheel Drive" song. We call them "ditch divers". And yes, some of them end up getting hurt or worse.

I was hit by a driver doing 360's on the ice about seven years ago. I had to drive up a center berm to avoid even worse damage to my car, and was not hurt. My Forester sustained about $2500 in damage to the passenger side though.

spydaman60
10-24-2013, 01:06 PM
just be happy you don't live in nj.:ohyea: people round here drive that way when it rains.:banghead::banghead:

DJFaninTN
10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
darn global warming .......... still must be Bush's fault

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 02:36 PM
just be happy you don't live in nj.:ohyea: people round here drive that way when it rains.:banghead::banghead:
They do have some pretty odd driving habits down there... :shocked:

I've seen I-295 with cars piled into the center median about every 100 yards; the entire length from Bordentown, to Hadden Heights... nojoke