PDA

View Full Version : Picked up My new trailer today..quick question

jonnysevel
10-23-2013, 01:25 PM
So I picked up my new 7x12 enclosed trailer for the RT Limited. I am trying to figure out how to secure the Spyder in the trailer for travel. Do you guys use wheel chocks, straps..both? I figured I could secure the handlebars with soft loops.. but wher do you guys secure the rear of the bike. Thanks for any help
Jonny

bullant12
10-23-2013, 01:47 PM
So I picked up my new 7x12 enclosed trailer for the RT Limited. I am trying to figure out how to secure the Spyder in the trailer for travel. Do you guys use wheel chocks, straps..both? I figured I could secure the handlebars with soft loops.. but wher do you guys secure the rear of the bike. Thanks for any help
Jonny

Do not use the handlebars to tie down the Spyder! It won't secure it and it can create some damage. The manual clearly states to use ratchet straps on the tires, specifically on the bottom of the rim to prevent bent. Use towels between the strap and the rim to prevent it from scratching. Please read the manual as it gives you good instrcuctions on how to trailer (tow) the Spyder.

spydaman60
10-23-2013, 01:49 PM
i bought the superclamps for the spyder. last i knew they had a deal running for spyderlovers. check them out. they are a site sponsor!:thumbup:

Ford 1
10-23-2013, 04:23 PM
78003I run a strap from one side to the other, and thru the wheels, I also have 2 brackets that hold a 2+4. after this in the rear run a strap from one side to the other and thru the wheel , buy not thru the sprocket this works fine for me

Cruzr Joe
10-23-2013, 04:39 PM
NEVER, NEVER put any straps or rope or cord or anything on your handlebars. :lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie:

Cruzr Joe

scott16119
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I've only hauled mine one time. That was from Minnesota to Spyderfest. I ran the straps through the wheels pretty much like the book says. You will need a soft towel or something under the strap to protect the finish on the wheel. I guess it worked ok but you would think they could provide some mounting spot on the frame or someplace less prone to being scratched or scuffed. I have a little plan in my head for next time, but I want to try it first before I put it up on here.

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 04:59 PM
First... Set your parking brake!
The rear wheel... A long strap that'll reach from one rear trailer corner to the other: feed it through the wheel, Make sure to NOT entangle the pulley
or rear brake along the way! :thumbup:
The fronts... i took some straps that I could get around the lower A-arm, and went straight forward to the trailer frame. Be carefuyl of the lower
shock mount! :thumbup:

Some folks like to put a strap through the front wheels; I prefer the A-arms as a more solid mounting location...

NancysToy
10-23-2013, 06:21 PM
I use cheap wheel chocks from Walmart, bolted to the floor. I tie down through the wheels, as shown in the Owners Manual. The front wheels are cross-tied to save space, and the rear is usually crossed to prevent wandering, but the ties go almost straight back. For the easiest solution, the Superclamps are a great way to go...albeit expensive. A sleeve made from a microfiber towel will protect the wheels from the tie-down strap.