PDA

View Full Version : Windshield art instruction

Doktor
10-23-2013, 11:04 AM
I was asked on another forum to describe my method of applying the graphic to my windshield, I got to thinking someone else might want to learn the technique so, here it is.
You'll first need to know what you want on the shield, whether you want to have a custom graphic done at a graphics shop, your best bet would be to try to work out what design you want and get an idea on a flash drive before you go there, their time is valuable. My first one I worked with a truck window graphic and was able to carefully cut and paste it to where the edges were able to go under the hardware.
Either way you go, preparation is the key to having it work right. I clean the windshield thoroughly, I usually will use plain rubbing or denatured alcohol, avoid anything that can leave any kind of residue.
The next step is to determine how you want the windshield to look, play with different locations with the main theme until you get it to what you want it to look like like. Then determine the center of the windshield, and the center of the graphic, peel back the backing to the half way point of the graphic and apply it to the windshield, it is usually pretty strong, but you want to lift and reposition as little as possible. Use either a soft squeegee, or the edge of you hand, holding the graphic out and smoothing from center to the edges, you will have to lift it most likely but keep the graphic as smooth as possible, the smoother it is, the less likely it will be to pull up in a wind, I've had all of mine up to 80 mph with none of them ever lifting. When the first side is as smooth as possible, start with the other side, also keeping it as smooth as possible while peeling the backing off. When you are happy with the results, you will want to have a very sharp utility knife and trim the graphic right on the edge of the windshield, try to make sure none will hang over the edge.
You can call that finished, and, it will hang on great, what I've done on a couple of mine is get some door edge trim at an auto parts store to put a "finishing touch" to the edge. They usually have either chrome or black, I've used both and it will all depend on the look you want. I've found that it will make this step go much easier, is to start pressing the edge molding on from the back of the windshield, so that it will come down over the edge of the graphic rather than pushing the edge of the graphic up. That will make more sense when you do it.
To get the windshield to thoroughly adhere, I usually let them set in the sun you may have to carefully warm it with a hairdryer on low setting, you don't want to bake it on just set the adhesive on the graphic.
That's what worked for me and I've done 9 windshields so far, and have 4 more to do, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smilies/22yikes.gif http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smilies/22yikes.gif http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smilies/22yikes.gif http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smilies/22yikes.gif

Doc

Spyder Tony
10-23-2013, 11:43 AM
I am in the midle of researching a place that will do a Jack Skellington (from The Nightmare Before Christmas) wrap on a windshield of an ST for my girlfriend. Found a place called Iguana Grafix, but they're pretty far from me so i'm looking at shipping the windshield to them. Iguana Grafix also informed me that the windshield wrap will not be see-thru. I was hoping to find something that will allow her to see through the graphic so she can keep the windshield up for wind protection. I don't see many bikes, much less Spyders with a windshield wrap so I thought it'd be a nice unique upgrade for her. Finding someone to do it is really proving the difficult part. I just don't feel qualified to to a DIY on this project like you. I'd like to see some step-by-step pix or a vid if you have the time the next time you do a windshield. Maybe if I can see it done, i'll have a shop print the wrap for me to apply since most places are telling me they will make a design, but won't apply it because they're not familiar with the Spyder.

Thanks for this post!!!

Chupaca
10-23-2013, 12:07 PM
from your avatar one can see a bit of the work you have done. Some larger pic's would be nice to see hiw they turn out up close..great work...!! :2thumbs:

Doktor
10-23-2013, 12:51 PM
I am in the midle of researching a place that will do a Jack Skellington (from The Nightmare Before Christmas) wrap on a windshield of an ST for my girlfriend. Found a place called Iguana Grafix, but they're pretty far from me so i'm looking at shipping the windshield to them. Iguana Grafix also informed me that the windshield wrap will not be see-thru. I was hoping to find something that will allow her to see through the graphic so she can keep the windshield up for wind protection. I don't see many bikes, much less Spyders with a windshield wrap so I thought it'd be a nice unique upgrade for her. Finding someone to do it is really proving the difficult part. I just don't feel qualified to to a DIY on this project like you. I'd like to see some step-by-step pix or a vid if you have the time the next time you do a windshield. Maybe if I can see it done, i'll have a shop print the wrap for me to apply since most places are telling me they will make a design, but won't apply it because they're not familiar with the Spyder.

Thanks for this post!!!
If you check your phone book you may find a good graphic art place locally, if they don't carry the see-through stuff, they could probably order it for you. I've used a guy here in SC, Signs By Colt in Camden SC I think his website is www.signsbycolt.com He's done my windshield so he should have a good idea what it takes to get it to fit. You may run into legal stuff if you can't see through the windshield, check with your local law enforcement, you don't want to spend 40-50 dollars and only have to pull it off.
It really is a very simple procedure to do the mod, as long as you are cautious and take your time, I am not very artistic, and can get frustrated very easily, as long as there aren't a lot of compound curves, it is very straight forward. An average motorcycle windshield is usually very simple to accomplish, I would think even if you had one of those 'laminar' windshields I've seen on some of the Goldwings would be fairly easy. You would really be surprised how easy it is to do, and the reward is well worth the effort.
The biggest problem you'll run across is people admiring the bike! :ohyea:

Doc

Spyder Tony
10-24-2013, 10:13 AM
If you check your phone book you may find a good graphic art place locally, if they don't carry the see-through stuff, they could probably order it for you. I've used a guy here in SC, Signs By Colt in Camden SC I think his website is www.signsbycolt.com (http://www.signsbycolt.com) He's done my windshield so he should have a good idea what it takes to get it to fit. You may run into legal stuff if you can't see through the windshield, check with your local law enforcement, you don't want to spend 40-50 dollars and only have to pull it off.
It really is a very simple procedure to do the mod, as long as you are cautious and take your time, I am not very artistic, and can get frustrated very easily, as long as there aren't a lot of compound curves, it is very straight forward. An average motorcycle windshield is usually very simple to accomplish, I would think even if you had one of those 'laminar' windshields I've seen on some of the Goldwings would be fairly easy. You would really be surprised how easy it is to do, and the reward is well worth the effort.
The biggest problem you'll run across is people admiring the bike! :ohyea:

Doc

I appreciate the Signs By Colt website. I'll check them out (and some local Graphic arts places). After your words of encouragement, I might even venture putting it on myself...I just know if it's not right she's gonna have me pull it off :gaah: (I'm treading carefully because she patrols this site too...).

I will definitely need the see-thru stuff due to Ca laws and her need to see through the windshield. Looks like I might have a winter project on my hands :2thumbs: