PDA

View Full Version : Important information about being invisible

wa3wheels
10-23-2013, 10:51 AM
A serious piece of advice, that most people are not aware of:

In a motor accident, wherein a speeding car hits a slower moving vehicle coming from the side,
the car drivers often swear that they just didn’t see the vehicle coming from the left or right.
Well, they are not lying. They really don’t see the vehicle coming from the side, in spite of broad daylight.
This phenomenon on the car drivers’ part is known as “Motion Induced Blindness”. It is definitely frightening.
Once airborne, pilots are taught to alternate their gaze between scanning the horizon and scanning their instrument panel, and never to fix their gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. They are taught to continually keep their heads on a swivel and their eyes always moving. Because, if you fix your gaze on one object while you yourself are in motion, your peripheral vision goes blind. Till about three decades ago, this “heads on swivel & eyes moving” technique was the only way to spot other aircraft in the skies around. Now-a-days they have on-board radars, but the old technique still holds good.

Let me give you a small demonstration of motion induced blindness. Just click on the link below. You will see a revolving array of blue crosses on a black background. There is a flashing green dot in the centre and three fixed yellow dots around it. If you fix your gaze on the green dot for more than a few seconds, the yellow dots will disappear at random, either singly, or in pairs, or all three together. In reality, the yellow dots are always there.
Just watch the yellow dots for some time to ensure that they don’t go anywhere! (Click on the link)
http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html (http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html)
So, if you are driving at a high speed on a highway and if you fix your gaze on the road straight ahead, you will not see a car, a scooter, a buggy, a bicycle, a deer or even a human being approaching from the side.
Now reverse the situation. If you are crossing a road on foot and you see a speeding car approaching, there’s a 90% chance that the driver isn’t seeing you, because his/her peripheral vision may be blind! And you may be in that blind zone!!
Happy motoring !!

paulbrinker
10-23-2013, 11:00 AM
That's quite a wake up call. Thanks

finless
10-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Interesting. So I played with this a little and noticed something at least for me.
The yellow spots seems to dissapear when they pass close to or through the center of the blue X. Slowing it way down when I see a spot dissapear I look then and see it just passed almost through the center of a X.
Interesting.

Thanks for sharing,
Bob

Blue Star
10-23-2013, 11:06 AM
and now I am dizzy

Dan McNally
10-23-2013, 11:14 AM
This phenomenon has been known for a long time, and I can't understand why it isn't hammered into new drivers. I learned it in drivers ed in 1965. We were told to never focus on what was in front of us, constantly, but to continually scan our mirrors, as well, to keep our eyes from developing "tunnel vision." I've been driving since 1966, 47 years, and the only accidents I have been in (three) were when other people hit me . . . one was when I was parked! I never "not see" the guy on the bike. Another thing that should be hammered into new drivers is to back the :cus: off and not tailgate. Accident rates would plummet if folks did both . . . as would insurance rates!

PaSpyderRyder
10-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Vert interesting .... I think I learned something today

Thanks,
Bob

BajaRon
10-23-2013, 11:19 AM
You have to ride like everyone is trying to kill you on purpose. When you assume that they are going to wait till the last moment and pull out in front of you, it makes you alert and ready. If they don't pull out it's gravy. If they do, you're not surprised.

Anyone who has been ridding very long has had a driver look right at you and then pull out. They may have turned their head your way, but they never saw you. You assume at your own peril.

Day Runner lighting to the front really makes a difference for being seen.

And then there are deer. Everyone sees the 1st dear and watches as they pass safely in front of them.... And then they hit the 2nd deer that they never saw because they were carefully watching the 1st deer which posed no danger.

jerpinoy
10-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks in posting this awareness some of us can use.:yes:

docdoru
10-23-2013, 11:34 AM
and now I am dizzy
...here is the cure...:joke:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/Arachnophobia-spider-fear-animated.gif

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 11:36 AM
I always ride as if the approaching driver:
is drunk
is falling asleep
is hungover
just got fired
his bank is foreclosing
his wife just left him for a guy that looks just like me
and so did his daughter! :yikes:
And since I also live up here in "venison alley":
The eyes never stop moving laterally across the real estate that I am approaching
I let my peripheral vision keep me in the roadway.

DLewis
10-23-2013, 11:38 AM
That was TRULY informative. I try to drive "defensively" at all times, it's just those times when the little kid in me wants to "go fast" :lecturef_smilie:when the road is clear. Doesn't happen often, but I do have o keep "the kid" happy. Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Chupaca
10-23-2013, 11:41 AM
the visual really helps bring the point home. Have always preached this to all riders and potential riders when selling bikes. Saddly not all paid attention...thanks..!! :thumbup:

flaggerphil
10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
They used to teach that...I guess they don't anymore. It's something I've known since I took driver's ed in the '60s. And something I also taught my kids.

If you treat every car out there as being driven by someone who wants to take you out...you're halfway to solving the problem. I ALWAYS assume car drivers don't see me. Always.

Always.

Yes, always.

finless
10-23-2013, 12:29 PM
is drunk
is falling asleep
is hungover
just got fired
his bank is foreclosing
The eyes never stop moving laterally across the real estate that I am approaching

I always drive as if the approaching driver is Bob Denman on his way to the dealer to pick up his new 2014 Spyder :roflblack:

Bob

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Be afraid :shocked:... Be VERY afraid! :yikes:

3 Wheel Addict
10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
If you watch the yellow dots the green center disappears, crazy. If I don't watch my wallet the money in it disappears... along with the wife! She often reappears but never with the money!!

spydaman60
10-23-2013, 01:23 PM
If you watch the yellow dots the green center disappears, crazy. If I don't watch my wallet the money in it disappears... along with the wife! She often reappears but never with the money!!that too is a natural phenomenum! it will always be there no matter what shape, color or condition your wallet is in.:roflblack: by the way, great post! something to show your children before they start driving.

ARtraveler
10-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Thank you for posting the information that we should all be aware of.

Also like the advice about driving as though everyone out there is trying to get you.

Both items have saved me a few times. :thumbup:

mxz600
10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
...here is the cure...:joke:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/Arachnophobia-spider-fear-animated.gif

Thanks Doc, that thing just gave me a seizure.

cuznjohn
10-23-2013, 01:51 PM
i am always looking at ladies in the other cars so i don't fixate on one thing

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Nice... :clap:

bruiser
10-23-2013, 02:13 PM
In the Air Force it was called situational awareness.

Oldmanzues
10-23-2013, 02:14 PM
I used to teach the same subject at a teen /adult driving school, but called it "target fixation". My boss discovered I was doing it and said, her husband nor her decided it was important. One of the many reasons to quit. The kids tought it was a great idea.
Oldmanzues

Thanks for posting it.

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=mxz600;710896]Thanks Doc, that thing just gave me a seizure.[/QUOTE
that thing made me pee myself a bit... :opps:

Arachnophobia on serious steroids here...:yikes:

OldDog
10-23-2013, 02:37 PM
This phenomenon has been known for a long time, and I can't understand why it isn't hammered into new drivers. I learned it in drivers ed in 1965. We were told to never focus on what was in front of us, constantly, but to continually scan our mirrors, as well, to keep our eyes from developing "tunnel vision." I've been driving since 1966, 47 years, and the only accidents I have been in (three) were when other people hit me . . . one was when I was parked! I never "not see" the guy on the bike. Another thing that should be hammered into new drivers is to back the :cus: off and not tailgate. Accident rates would plummet if folks did both . . . as would insurance rates!

I love my son and daughter in law , BUT, both are aggressive road rage tailgaters. It scares me to death to ride with them. And they say that I'm the bad driver because I drive the speed limit.nojoke

Dan McNally
10-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Always ride your Spyder like the person in the cage is your ex-spouse! :yikes:

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
"I love my son and daughter in law , BUT, both are aggressive road rage tailgaters. It scares me to death to ride with them. And they say that I'm the bad driver because I drive the speed limit.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/nojoke.gif"

Drive you nutz; doesn't it? :gaah: ;)
Sonny-
Boy up here learned his lesson the hard way; two at-fault rear end collisions very early on in his driving career. Fortunately; he got the message, and has been clean for 10 years now. I'd ride with him anywhere now! :thumbup:

Barlock
10-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Great info! :thumbup: Thanks.

OldDog
10-23-2013, 02:55 PM
I have a serious question. I have a late model Ford Expedition. You are aware of the rollover potential of these vehicles. Herein lies my problem. I don't know if its the meds I'm on or what, but I have an exaggerated feeling the car is going to flip over when driving on the twisty Interstate 77 in West Virginia. I unconsciously back off on the gas to like 40 or 50. This is dangerous on the interstate. My wife has reminded me of it several times. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? :dontknow:nojoke

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfO8TcBa6I0
I got nuthin'... :dontknow:
Sell the Ford and get a MINI; they stick to the road as if they're on velcro tires! :ohyea:

nhoj
10-23-2013, 04:45 PM
In a motor accident, wherein a speeding car hits a slower moving vehicle coming from the side, the car drivers often swear that they just didn’t see the vehicle coming from the left or right.

SMIDSY - "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You"
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.twhhyjzpxapzkouq&pageId=146841

Mets79ST2013
10-23-2013, 04:48 PM
A serious piece of advice, that most people are not aware of:

In a motor accident, wherein a speeding car hits a slower moving vehicle coming from the side,
the car drivers often swear that they just didn’t see the vehicle coming from the left or right.
Well, they are not lying. They really don’t see the vehicle coming from the side, in spite of broad daylight.
This phenomenon on the car drivers’ part is known as “Motion Induced Blindness”. It is definitely frightening.
Once airborne, pilots are taught to alternate their gaze between scanning the horizon and scanning their instrument panel, and never to fix their gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. They are taught to continually keep their heads on a swivel and their eyes always moving. Because, if you fix your gaze on one object while you yourself are in motion, your peripheral vision goes blind. Till about three decades ago, this “heads on swivel & eyes moving” technique was the only way to spot other aircraft in the skies around. Now-a-days they have on-board radars, but the old technique still holds good.

Let me give you a small demonstration of motion induced blindness. Just click on the link below. You will see a revolving array of blue crosses on a black background. There is a flashing green dot in the centre and three fixed yellow dots around it. If you fix your gaze on the green dot for more than a few seconds, the yellow dots will disappear at random, either singly, or in pairs, or all three together. In reality, the yellow dots are always there.
Just watch the yellow dots for some time to ensure that they don’t go anywhere! (Click on the link)
http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html
So, if you are driving at a high speed on a highway and if you fix your gaze on the road straight ahead, you will not see a car, a scooter, a buggy, a bicycle, a deer or even a human being approaching from the side.
Now reverse the situation. If you are crossing a road on foot and you see a speeding car approaching, there’s a 90% chance that the driver isn’t seeing you, because his/her peripheral vision may be blind! And you may be in that blind zone!!
Happy motoring !!

Thanks is good info:clap::clap::clap:

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Those yellow dots were moving around; sneaking in and out; and then disappearing on me! :shocked:
I thought that I needed to see the Opthalmologist again; quickly! :D

SNOOPY
10-23-2013, 06:08 PM
I always drive as if the approaching driver is Bob Denman on his way to the dealer to pick up his new 2014 Spyder :roflblack:

Bob

:roflblack:

flaggerphil
10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
[/B]

I love my son and daughter in law , BUT, both are aggressive road rage tailgaters. It scares me to death to ride with them. And they say that I'm the bad driver because I drive the speed limit.nojoke

I taught both of my kids not to drive that way (they're now in their 30s). My daughter is a very good driver, my son is not, but at least he learned enough not to be a danger. If my kids drove like that I simply wouldn't ride with them. Period.

AND I'd tell them why.

flaggerphil
10-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a serious question. I have a late model Ford Expedition. You are aware of the rollover potential of these vehicles. Herein lies my problem. I don't know if its the meds I'm on or what, but I have an exaggerated feeling the car is going to flip over when driving on the twisty Interstate 77 in West Virginia. I unconsciously back off on the gas to like 40 or 50. This is dangerous on the interstate. My wife has reminded me of it several times. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? :dontknow:nojoke

I've driven that highway many, many times in my SUV and have never had that feeling. If you think it's the meds, it's time to leave the driving to someone else (though obviously not your son) and talk to your doctor.

wetmountainman
10-23-2013, 06:37 PM
is drunk
is falling asleep
is hungover
just got fired
his bank is foreclosing
Be glad you don't have to contend with Elk! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Oldmanzues
10-23-2013, 08:48 PM
I've driven that highway many, many times in my SUV and have never had that feeling. If you think it's the meds, it's time to leave the driving to someone else (though obviously not your son) and talk to your doctor.
Have you checked tire pressure and suspension ??
Have somebody else drive your vehicle.
If they have no problems, advice above.
I can no longer drive long distances
Oldmanzues

BajaRon
10-23-2013, 09:35 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words...

http://blog.wired.com/cars/images/2008/06/04/older_driver.jpg

BajaRon
10-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Sell the Ford and get a MINI; they stick to the road as if they're on velcro tires! :ohyea:

Sounds like a great idea to me.... :thumbup:

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/1_car_crushed_between_trucks.jpg

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 07:19 AM
I don't think that was a MINI...
The surviving rear wheel doesn't look like one of theirs... :shocked:

BajaRon
10-24-2013, 08:09 AM
I don't think that was a MINI...
The surviving rear wheel doesn't look like one of theirs... :shocked:

So, sticking pins in my thought balloon I see!

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
:opps: I was originally told that it was a SMART car... but again; that doesn't look like one of their wheels either. Does anybody know what it is
(or was... :shocked:)?

Cruzr Joe
10-24-2013, 08:36 AM

No, your wife likes the way i drive. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: (Just Kiddin, Keep your panties on, It was a Joke) <disclaimer

Cruzr Joe

Sny
10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
:opps: I was originally told that it was a SMART car... but again; that doesn't look like one of their wheels either. Does anybody know what it is
(or was... :shocked:)?

It's a Ford Escape... an SUV
http://goo.gl/UmcLlm

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 09:52 AM
It doesn't have the scallops in the wheel spokes, that are on the Escape wheels...

Sny
10-24-2013, 09:58 AM
click the link to the article that explains it... I just threw in a random picture of an escape.

snopes investigated the photo and found it was a Ford Escape, which is no small vehicle (tho not big by SUV standards either).

from the article on snopes:

According to information from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and various readers, the accident pictured above took place in May 2009 in Harvey, Louisiana, and involved a Ford Escape SUV, not (as is commonly reported) the smaller Smart Car. The impact did not occur dead center as apparently shown in the photograph: it was offset to the right, and thus the driver's side was not nearly as heavily damaged. The driver of the Ford survived the crash and has since been released from the hospital.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/smallcar.asp#V38PKBAPEK7ooD3B.99

retired1
10-24-2013, 10:19 AM
After looking at the picture, it sure appears to be a mini auto now.:D

Sny
10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
After looking at the picture, it sure appears to be a mini auto now.:D
Ha! it's a mini-escape ;)

I can't believe the driver survived that. ouch.