PDA

View Full Version : Helmet with Heads Up Display and rear view camera!!

Hawk
10-23-2013, 08:51 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/23/skully-hud-motorcycle-helmet-video/

flamingobabe
10-23-2013, 08:56 AM
that's kinda cool.....need to do research and see where to buy them

Bob Denman
10-23-2013, 08:59 AM
We were tossing this helmet around in the "Off Topic" area last week; it's cool, but I know that I have enough trouble keeping ONE viewpoint of the road straight in my mind... :shocked:

Desert Spyder
10-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Reevu has rear view, though not a camera, capability. They are working on the on screen displays on the faceshield from what I hear. Who will get there first? Cost will be a big factor.

crazyspyder
10-23-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't wear helmets, but I may consider getting this one! anyone knows who sells them?:bowdown:

Chupaca
10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
they are great for what they were intended for..backing up. You don't need to see ahead, you are going at a slow speed and you are causious anyway. For me while driving I prefer to look in the mirrors and not try to focus anywhere other than where I am going and my surroundings. What's behind me has to catch up to be a problem whats ahead of me is already potencially a problem...I'm sure there are those who can handle it and it is modern techy..!!

cuznjohn
10-23-2013, 12:26 PM
i personally don't like the shape of it but i think it would be confusing watching the display and the road. i was looking at small rear view cameras to put on the bike than changed my mind

bscrive
10-24-2013, 05:46 AM
The helmet is way too distracting. So, now you can listen to music, talk on the phone, text and watch what is going on behind you. When would you have time to see what's in front of you? Way too many things going on at the same time. Most people cannot multitask worth a damn and I think a helmet like this will cause more accidents than it would prevent. Not to mention how much it would be. One of those products that looked good on paper but not so good in the real world. People on motorcycles need all their wits about them when we ride so that we don't get hit by cars. Too many things these days to distract drivers already.

rnet
10-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Not sure whether I would like this or not, but I will play devils advocate. We already have mirrors and GPS that we have to look at. Blue tooth phones through our communication system, why not have it all in one ?

Rob Rodriguez
10-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Love the idea. If it works well I'd buy one in a second.

Add some missile controls and you'd almost be Iron Man ;)

bscrive
10-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Not sure whether I would like this or not, but I will play devils advocate. We already have mirrors and GPS that we have to look at. Blue tooth phones through our communication system, why not have it all in one ?

Ron, that is what I am getting at. We already have too many things taking our attention off the road. To have all that stuff in your face all the time would be too distracting imo. I don't have anything on my bike because of this very thing. People like to think that they can multitask when driving but in reality they cannot.

Mets79ST2013
10-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Thank you I will get one :clap::clap::clap:

Rick11Flor
10-24-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/aeromobil-3-0-renderings/#photo-1277446:yes::yes:

Dochands
10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Want one. This is the future. Get over it.

spydermyke990
10-25-2013, 04:29 AM
For some reason I keep thinking of the "heads up" displays that they are designing into fighter pilot helmets....I keep picturing myself wearing one of these and whispering, "come on, lock up, lock up, I got missile lock!! Firing! Fox 1!! Fox 1!!" (Cues theme to Top Gun) :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cleg
10-25-2013, 05:10 AM
We were tossing this helmet around in the "Off Topic" area last week; it's cool, but I know that I have enough trouble keeping ONE viewpoint of the road straight in my mind... :shocked:

:yikes:I can hear it now....safety equipment caused serious accident, but operator made the 911 call hands free:bowdown:.... good idea but Bob is right too much at once, information overload:ani29:

Dan McNally
10-25-2013, 03:03 PM
I watched the video and movement kept pulling my eyes to the rear monitor screen . . . I suspect I would find that screen very distracting.

Mets79ST2013
10-25-2013, 03:07 PM

This helmet is not for sale as of now but very soon....:yes:

Silvervette05
10-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Love the idea. If it works well I'd buy one in a second.

Add some missile controls and you'd almost be Iron Man ;)

I would love to get one, but I bet it cost a fortune

Questions
10-25-2013, 03:19 PM
I saw another post where they are going to be 1000.00 ea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MikeT
10-25-2013, 03:48 PM
I saw another post where they are going to be 1000.00 ea
:yikes::barf::yikes:

MMMII
10-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I was thinking the consumer version of Google Glass would do the same thing (- the rear view camera) and would give you more uses for your $.

But if they don't figure out how to increase battery life beyond 3-5 hours... It'll never work.

DrewNJ
10-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Want one. This is the future. Get over it.

Yep, agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trbayth
08-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Pardon the resurrecting of a an old thread but I think it's relevant again: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skully-ar-1-the-world-s-smartest-motorcycle-helmet#home

Got a spare $1400 burning a hole in your pocket?

Trb--

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-12-2014, 07:20 AM
WOW :clap:

AY4B
08-12-2014, 08:58 AM
My truck has a rear camera and it wont work unless you have it in reverse, for good reason too. Although at times I would like to check my load to see if all is well on the trailer but it wont do that unless I pull over and slide it in reverse.

PrairieSpyder
08-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Pardon the resurrecting of a an old thread but I think it's relevant again: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skully-ar-1-the-world-s-smartest-motorcycle-helmet#home

Got a spare $1400 burning a hole in your pocket?

Trb--

It looks like they're still trying to raise money to develop/produce it.

daveinva
08-12-2014, 10:49 AM
My thoughts:

1. Can't wait for this, it's everything I want in a helmet.

2. At $1500 the price is steep, but you get a GPS *and* a BT speaker setup integrated (not to mention the rear-view camera and photo-sensitive visor!). That's close to half the cost right there, knock that off and you're in the high-end helmet (e.g. Schuberth) range.

3. At that price point, however, they need to offer custom fitting, like Bell's new laser system. I'm not paying $1500 for an "off the shelf" fit.

4. I can't imagine the weight will be very friendly. Prototypes were rumored to be pretty heavy, hopefully they've brought it down.

5. I'd love it to be synched to a programmable grip controller, like the Spyder's "Mode" button, so I can switch between views. I definitely want that rear view camera (BTW, it's 180 degree panoramic, not at all like your car or truck's lousy excuse for a backup camera), but I wouldn't want it on all the time (in traffic, it'd be a godsend, but out in the twisties, regular mirrors and head-checks are good enough). I'd also love it if I could re-size & relocate the window on the HUD.

6. I would really, really, REALLY cry if I ever dropped this thing. :shocked:

Anyway... I love it. The tech (and price) may take some time to get there, but give it another five years or so, and *every* high-end helmet manufacturer will be offering similar options.

Whitetail
08-12-2014, 11:48 AM
The ride:Nuviz is cheaper has more functions and will be out sooner, and it attaches to any fullface, so when 5 years are up, you just swap it to your new helmet.

Fat Crip
08-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I think it looks great, but I have one huge reservation; it's not a very good helmet!

When you include the cost of a decent lid + a GPS + the HUD + rear view camera + BT intercom, it's not so expensive, but, and it's a huge but, it's not a decent lid; it's a polycarbonate plastic shell that you expect to pay less than £100 ($150) for, not carbon/Kevlar matrix from Shoei/Arai/Shuberth etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LV2RYDE
08-12-2014, 12:01 PM

Available for shipping: Mid 2015 with preorder sale price $1399

ChasCS
08-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Jump in on the $25,000 SKULLY bargain... ;-) if you like to back a new system, yet unproven.

I'm still super stoked and rather excited about the simple rear entry of the http://voztec.com helmets. I thought those were forward thinking enough for me. Heck they may run you an easy grand to purchase too...

I can still use my eyes and mirrors for the views. I have incredible peripheral vision too.

Nice to see the future opening up in front of us...

Chas