PDA

View Full Version : ignition problem? fuel injection problem?..............help

jacquesd
10-22-2013, 06:12 AM
my spyder 2008 15 000 km revs normaly when starting, but very soon revs decrease and finaly the engine turns on 1 cylinder and stops running. Just replaced spark plugs, but this didn't solve the problem. When engine revs over 3000 rpm , no failiar is noticed. The problem occurs between 1500 and 3000 rpm , no smooth acelerations. Is there anybody who had the same experiences? Any idea what causes that problem and what is the solution?

Flanker
10-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Kind of hard to diagnose stuff over the net; as you say, it's either ignition or fuel. My suspicion would be the ignition (just guessing), start with the spark plug, and start working your way back through the ignition circuit to see if you can isolate the problem. Good luck!

Some Guy
10-22-2013, 08:46 AM
my spyder 2008 15 000 km revs normaly when starting, but very soon revs decrease and finaly the engine turns on 1 cylinder and stops running. Just replaced spark plugs, but this didn't solve the problem. When engine revs over 3000 rpm , no failiar is noticed. The problem occurs between 1500 and 3000 rpm , no smooth acelerations. Is there anybody who had the same experiences? Any idea what causes that problem and what is the solution?

I had this exact same problem 2 years ago with my 08 GS. It was the rear spark plug wire...there was a pin hole in the boot and it was arcing off the case. A new wire solved the problem immediately.

Get a set of BajaRon's spark plug wires, they're WAY better than the stock wires. :thumbup:

DrewNJ
10-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Swap out your wires. The stock wires are pretty fragile.

Chupaca
10-22-2013, 11:53 AM
your issue will be most likely the plug wires. Heard if you pull the panels and start it up in a dark garage you will be able to see arching in many cases. Not a bad idea to run some additive like sea foam in the fuel and check your fuel filter. Don't know how long it has been since you last had it changed but if really dirty will restrict fuel flow at low rpms..good luck..!! :thumbup:

Flanker
10-22-2013, 12:23 PM
your issue will be most likely the plug wires. Heard if you pull the panels and start it up in a dark garage you will be able to see arching in many cases. Not a bad idea to run some additive like sea foam in the fuel and check your fuel filter. Don't know how long it has been since you last had it changed but if really dirty will restrict fuel flow at low rpms..good luck..!! :thumbup: Good tip on running it in a dark area to see if there's any "arcin' and sparkin'". Forgot about that technique.............................years ago, it's how I discovered mice had eaten 5 out of 8 new Accel plug wires in my car!

NancysToy
10-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Running on one cylinder is more likely an ignition problem, but there may be a secondary issue. Has your fuel filter ever been changed? If not, or if it is past due on the maintenance schedule, I'd change it right away. I'd also add some Marine Stabil or Seafoam to the fuel, in case the problem is moisture related. If it is bad fuel, the problem could take quite a while to resolve, unless you siphon the tank empty and refill with fresh brand name fuel...preferably with Marine Stabil, Seafoam, or Startron. If the problem is a bad fuel pump, your dealer will probably have to get involved. I'd also see if loosening the gas cap makes it better. If so, you have a tank venting problem (purge valve?).

MikeinGA
10-23-2013, 03:42 PM
I hade a MAP sensor go bad did the same thing, runs good above 3,500 rpm, rough idle up to 3,000 rpm, and have a hard time pulling out from a stop. Check for error codes.

Mike

jacquesd
10-26-2013, 02:26 AM
Thanks for your replys. Have ordered spark plug wires to begin. Keep you informed

BajaRon
10-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks for your replys. Have ordered spark plug wires to begin. Keep you informed

If you are changing wires it is also a good idea to change the plugs at the same time. That gives you a 100% fresh ignition system and for the few bucks more is worth the piece of mind. I highly recommend the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs. They are a step above the Welded Iridium plugs that BRP uses.

You really should pull the old plugs to see how they are burning anyway.

Be sure to use Thermal Paste on the threads (not Anti-Seize), and Dielectric Grease on the Spark Plug Boots.

Hope this fixes your problem.