PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RTL SE6 Test Ride report - October 21st, 2013

NorthStar
10-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Here is my initial observations after taking a new 2014 RT SE6 on a test ride this morning.

Ergonomics:The comfort seat puts the driver a few inches back in the saddle yet still offers more than adequate room for a good sized passenger. I found the comfort seat to be somewhat "cushier" than the previous seats that come standard on the RT. If you are looking for a softer feel you might like this particular seat, however I do not know if this seat is any better than a standard seat over the long haul. It does come with a slot to install an optional driver's backrest which for me would be a no brainer. I did notice that I appreciated sitting back in the seat more since it reduced pressure on my hips because of the change in leg angle in relationship to the floorboards.
The handlebars are adjustable, but for this test ride they were set at pretty well the same angle as your standard non adjustable handlebars from yesteryear. I would probably rake them out a bit to accommodate my longer wingspan, but having them adjustable, as they are in the current RT, is a good idea.
The driver floorboards are very comfortable and allows you to shift your feet a bit yet they give you a good solid foundation for when you want to aggressively attack the twisties. I like the forward tilt because I was used to this angle because I set up my ISCI boards this way.

Sound: When you fire up the new 3 cylinder engine it sounds more like a Goldwing GL1800 engine than a Singer Sewing Machine. I definitely noticed that it was much quieter at speed and had a pleasant tone when accelerating hard. Personally I appreciate a quieter exhaust while touring and this configuration really works for me.

Extra weight/Suspension: The bike is something like 50 - 60 lbs heavier than in previous years, but because of the beefed up Sach shocks and bigger engine it is a non issue. The BRP Rep (driving a 2013 ST), the couple who test drove it before me - 2 up (currently ride a 2012 RTs) and I all agreed that this machine tracks extremely well both straight on and through tight curves. There was a cross wind of about 25-30 mph during my drive and I was truly impressed that the machine behaved itself without having to fight with the steering when hit with sudden gusts. I even got to follow a transport truck at highway speeds for a bit and the test bike handled the buffeting extremely well. A bit better than my 2010 with stage one Elka Shocks. The extra weight up front might have had some say in why this machine seemed to handle so well. The passenger on the previous test ride said that she felt way less vibration on her floorboards than with their current ride.

Power: I like to ride in a spirited fashion on occasion and I had plenty of opportunity during my test ride to employ all of the torque and HP that this RT has at its disposal. The first thing I noticed is that the torque kicks in much quicker than the old engine and doesn't stop all the way through the gears. The sweet spot starts at about 1000 RPM and really goes hard shortly after 3000 RPM. This combined with the 6 speed transmission allows you to tool through town at 30 miles per hour in 5th gear and 40 miles per hour in sixth gear....without any engine lugging. Since the clutch is hydraulic there is no slippage at lower rpms.
At 70 miles per hour, in sixth gear, you are running at 3500 rpms. At 88 miles per hour in sixth gear my tach read 4100 rpms. Looks like we are looking at approximately 1000 RPMs less at highway speeds right across the board than we see with the 998 Rotax. It should be mentioned that the couple noted above took it up to 85 miles per hour during their test ride and the driver reported that it was still pulling hard.

Heat: It was a cool day so heat wasn't an issue. The literature states that the radiator fans reverse when the engine temperature is up and you are traveling at less than 15 mph. I asked the rep about this and he told me that he has experienced this during stop and go traffic. There was heat coming out of the honeycomb grill on the right side and left side but not anywhere near what I have we currently experienced when the fan kicks on in the older RTs. Only time will tell if the heat issues will be solved as a result of putting two rads up front and adding a reverse fan actuator on the rads. The re-routing of the exhaust pipe may be our salvation, but who knows.

Overall Impressions: The 2014 RT is still a very heavy touring machine and adding a few more HP is not going to make this a crotch rocket. However, that being said I can report that this new configuration had noticeably more get up and go than I expected. It really is a definite step forward in the continuing evolution of the Spyder RT.
This experience has been bittersweet. I am now feeling a high degree of envy towards those of you who have placed your orders for this machine. I look forward to reading your real world impressions in the coming months.

Edit: Here are a few pictures of the unit I rode. The only visible exterior change is the front radiators and grills above the A Arm. Everything else is exactly the same. (And No they did not change the signal light switch.)

SNOOPY
10-21-2013, 02:25 PM
:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the report!! :2thumbs:
Now; if only it'd get here... :shocked:

ARtraveler
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you for the great review on your test ryde. For me, it sounds like the :spyder2: of my dreams. :thumbup::thumbup:

Chupaca
10-21-2013, 02:31 PM
thanks for...food for all those waiting..!! :roflblack:

Texas
10-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the write up NorthStar. I'm curious about the adjustable handlebars though. It was my understanding that this was optional on the 2014 as well. Is this not the case, or does it only come standard on the RTL? If standard, do you know if it also comes standard on the RTS? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in the RTS as I don't like all the chrome.

MikeT
10-21-2013, 02:36 PM
How long before we see a 2660 6 cylinder with a CVT??????????????????

ARtraveler
10-21-2013, 02:46 PM

2660/ 6 cylinder--Probably not in our lifetimes. CVT? a possibility, since they are showing up in cars now. :bbq::bbq::bbq:

NorthStar
10-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the write up NorthStar. I'm curious about the adjustable handlebars though. It was my understanding that this was optional on the 2014 as well. Is this not the case, or does it only come standard on the RTL? If standard, do you know if it also comes standard on the RTS? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in the RTS as I don't like all the chrome.

I believe that the adjustable handlebars are a $750.00 option. I don't think it is a standard feature of any RT but someone else in the know might chime in.

mindman
10-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Very thoughtful and well written. Thanks!

ValCruzSpyder
10-21-2013, 03:40 PM
I currently ride the 2012 RTS-SE5. After reading this review, I'm wondering how long it is going to take me to beg...I mean...convince my wife that the 2014 RTS-SE6 is the machine for us!!:roflblack: If all goes well, we might be on one by June...of next year.:pray:

Bob Denman
10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
My guess: About six hours after you finish off that Supreme pizza and hit the sack! :roflblack:

hill27
10-21-2013, 05:10 PM
thanks for an excellent report.

NorthStar
10-21-2013, 05:40 PM
NS

DJFaninTN
10-21-2013, 05:50 PM
thanks for the in depth report. :clap:

OWISE1
10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Makes me want one even more now....:clap:

Cleg
10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Yessir....I hear the changes are well worth the extra weight and the ryde is superb!! Can't wait to try one, but even so, my '12 will be around for a bit more...:shemademe_smilie::thumbup::banghead:

spyder-dude
10-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Great write up! Can't wait to get mine within the next couple weeks I hope! :thumbup:

spacetiger
10-21-2013, 08:28 PM
The temptation is there to go for the 2014 because of the changes.... the 2015 will be better yet because they will have addressed the problems that will surface with the new model.

SpyderAnn01
10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Question on the seat was it the stock seat or the optional comfort seat? I wish they would come up with a new name for the optional seat as they put comfort in the description of all of the seats. Did the seat have the Limited stitching? If it did it was probably the stock seat.

murphybrown
10-21-2013, 08:43 PM
But wow after that report..I'm sure feeling a need to "just try"...my resolve to wait for 2015....oh oh it is waning (just an itsy bitsy bit)....sooooo glad I have until Spyderfest 2014 to get my urges under control...
Awesome report thanks. :clap::yes:

alpacaguy
10-21-2013, 08:57 PM
I currently ride the 2012 RTS-SE5. After reading this review, I'm wondering how long it is going to take me to beg...I mean...convince my wife that the 2014 RTS-SE6 is the machine for us!!:roflblack: If all goes well, we might be on one by June...of next year.:pray:

My RTS-SM5 is looking more and more like it's time for a trade-in, but my wife has already said NO and I haven't even asked yet. Maybe later...

OldCowboy
10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
My wife got such a kick out of ours on the MoGang ryde 10/11-12 it'd be hard to convince her to take the hit necessary to trade up to a 2014. I'll have to say that at no time during that ryde did I feel like I didn't have enough power.

daveinva
10-21-2013, 10:08 PM
I've read it in a couple of places now RE: the forward-tilted footboards... anyone know if those are adjustable? I'm a "flat foot" rider myself.

spyderyderjim
10-21-2013, 10:09 PM
But wow after that report..I'm sure feeling a need to "just try"...my resolve to wait for 2015....oh oh it is waning (just an itsy bitsy bit)....sooooo glad I have until Spyderfest 2014 to get my urges under control...
Awesome report thanks. :clap::yes:

Karyl,
I feel your patience, trying to wait for 2015 Spyder RT-S SE6.
(only one motorcycle for me to sell won't make it $$, ha).
Len said the 2014 RT was smooth, awesome riding!!!!
My 2013 Spyder RT-S SE5 Lamonster Special really runs great!!
(Arizona) Jim

RTVIPER
10-21-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm excited to test drive a 2014 :yes::yes::yes::clap::clap::clap::yes::yes::yes::c lap::clap::clap: Thanks for the write-up :2thumbs::2thumbs:

ARtraveler
10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I've read it in a couple of places now RE: the forward-tilted footboards... anyone know if those are adjustable? I'm a "flat foot" rider myself.

I have noticed a couple references now to the "forward tilting" floorboards on the new RT.
The picture from the drivers manual (page 14) shows the floorboards in two positions. The "normal" position appears to be no different than the "usual". If the floorboard is tilted forward, the manual states: "a mechanism allows the floorboard to lower if the pedal needs to be pressed more than normal. If that occurs, push on the rear portion of the floorboard until it clicks and test the braking system."

Don't know for sure if that is what is being referred to--but maybe this is causing the references to the forward tilting floorboards.

daveinva
10-22-2013, 06:30 AM
I have noticed a couple references now to the "forward tilting" floorboards on the new RT.
The picture from the drivers manual (page 14) shows the floorboards in two positions. The "normal" position appears to be no different than the "usual". If the floorboard is tilted forward, the manual states: "a mechanism allows the floorboard to lower if the pedal needs to be pressed more than normal. If that occurs, push on the rear portion of the floorboard until it clicks and test the braking system."

Don't know for sure if that is what is being referred to--but maybe this is causing the references to the forward tilting floorboards.

Yeah, I've seen that reference as well, which suggested to me it was something associated with "emergency braking" and not normal riding, i.e. the boards are tilted forward stock, but tilt forward *even more* to clear the brake pedal in a stomp-&-stop. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
10-22-2013, 06:45 AM
That is correct... :thumbup:

NorthStar
10-22-2013, 06:48 AM
The seat on my tester was what BRP describe in their literature as being their ultra comfort touring saddle with hardware hook up for the optional driver backrest. I really do not know if the seat on the tester was their "Comfort Seat", even though the rep indicated that to me. Felt cushier and felt like I was sitting further back in the seat, but that may have been just a feeling rather than an actual fact.

I have seen a number of these floorboards in the past and they were all mounted with a forward tilt. I do not believe they are adjustable, but I am sure that someone with a set on their 2013 RT will pipe in with the right answer.

I have had a day to sleep on my test ride thoughts and think if their was anything that I had left out of my report. The only other new feature is the "ECO Mode" which signals you when to shift gears for optimal fuel efficiency. Since I wasn't paying for the gas, trying to baby the throttle wasn't even a consideration here.

If I had the money there is no doubt I would have ordered one the moment I left the saddle at the end of the ride. :banghead:

Bob Denman
10-22-2013, 07:05 AM
If I had the money there is no doubt I would have ordered one the moment I left the saddle at the end of the ride. :banghead:
High praise indeed! :2thumbs: They should try to find a way to show their appreciation for your input... Discounts on a new model? Riding gear? Accessories for your current ride?

NorthStar
10-22-2013, 09:49 AM
High praise indeed! :2thumbs: They should try to find a way to show their appreciation for your input... Discounts on a new model? Riding gear? Accessories for your current ride?

Lockhart's Odessey in Courtland Ontario called me directly to set up a test ride for me with the BRP Rep. They knew I would be very interested in this opportunity and I appreciated this offer. So, in short, I considered this invite to be a real bonus for a Spyderlover.

I sold my 2010 RTs to a gentleman in Nova Scotia this summer. I thought it prudent to sell the bike at that time to maximize the resale value because I was planning on re-tooling with something newer as soon as I could find the right machine at the right price. My original thought was to pick up a 2012 or 2013 RTs this winter, but that idea was definitely scuttled after I test drove the 2014 model.
Given that the new 2014 RTs would cost me somewhere over $35K off the lot here in Canada my plans for a purchase in the short term was also immediately demolished. The joys of being on a fixed income. Oh well, if there is a will there is always a way and I don't plan on giving up just yet.