PDA

View Full Version : reading rogers report today

cuznjohn
10-21-2013, 09:16 AM
and in reading it i was thinking of something he mentioned about the clutch locking up went at a stop. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59592-First-Report-on-Test-Drive , i have a habit of coming to a stop and sitting at a light and i take my foot off the brake if on level ground and fold my arms, now being the bike is at a 1400 rpm idle the bike could have the potential to lunge forward if this ever happened. i have never given that a thought b4.

i am curious if anyone else releases the brake at a light or in traffic or do you keep your foot on the brake when you are stopped. i think i have to remember to keep my foot on it now.

Bob Denman
10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
"Situational Awareness..." Foot on the brake, hands on the bars, one eye on the mirrors, one looking at traffic, and the last one watching the lights... :shocked: :hun:

arntufun
10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Spyder in neutral, hand off clutch, right hand blipping throttle for the heck of it, foot off brake on level ground, and eyes on the cute girl checking out my Spyder next to me ( that last one is a :joke:).

I also wear shorts and flip flops sometimes, so you might not want to follow my lead. :doorag: I can see Bob's point about remaining alert, but holding a clutch in for a three minute traffic light gets old real quick.

Bob Denman
10-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Maybe you shoulda bought an ESSIE?? :D

cuznjohn
10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
i have horrid legs and feet so no flip flops and shorts for me but foot on brake when at stop from now on

Bob Denman
10-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Well that's a mental image that ranks right up there with Pete wearing chaps, and no pants underneath! :shocked:

CyncySpyder
10-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Like Roger mentioned, the 2010 SE5's had an issue with weighted needle bearings. Ours showed this issue on our very first test ryde, and our
(He Who Shall Not Be 77902Mentioned:cus:)
Dealer told me it was my own fault, I just didn't know how to properly shift it :lecturef_smilie:

Had the byke for 4 days & Teddy & I went across the river and into downtown Cincinnati. Came to a crosswalk and motioned the rather large fellow that was standing there to proceed as we slowly rolled to a stop. The byke stops, still running of course and in 1st gear on level ground, and I release my foot from the break pedal. As soon as the rather large fellow that was crossing the street got directly in front of us, the byke abruptly lurched forward & the rather large gentleman had to push his hand off the frunk lid or we would have actually hit him :yikes:

Needless to say, Teddy being so cute saved our *sses that day cause the guy thought I did it deliberately at first :chill: & it took a while to get him to understand & believe what had happened, but we made it out with my jaw still in tact & only needing a change of boxers :(

Needless to say, the byke went into the shop for the next 45 days & what became known as the Great SE5 Recall of 2010 with the repair kits supposedly getting stuck at the border .............................. :banghead: ahhhhhh yes, The Good 'Ole Days :rolleyes:

finless
10-21-2013, 11:09 AM
I am an arm folder and foot off the break at lights too!
But I have an SM5 and must put it in neutral to do that :)

Bob

flaggerphil
10-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Three wheels, two wheels, four wheels, I ALWAYS have my foot on the brake at a light. Always. On two wheels I also used to hold the clutch in while at the light, just in case I had to move in a hurry. Also made it easier to blip the motor...

;)

Chupaca
10-21-2013, 01:49 PM
we talking auto or manual. We have manual so have more options. Ryde with many se's who leave it in gear and apply brakes if creeping or rolling on inclines. Neutral foot off at long light, in gear clutch in at short lights foot off...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-21-2013, 01:53 PM
I have taken my foot off the pedal a few times (shame on me nojoke). Either :spyder2: will hold while in gear and on the level--but for safety reasons, that is wrong, wrong, wrong. I will keep this in mind on my future rydes. :thumbup:

scarecrow
10-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Answer to first question. Yes I do do all of that. Guess I need to put it in neutral and wait for light to change. Now two wheels different story. Clutch in, in gear, both feet on ground, and two fingers on front brake. Give me a handlebar brake lever on the spyder from the factory and I'd be really happy.