PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan run after stopping?

kepople
10-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Just curious:
All summer, I would get where I was going, shut off the bike, and the cooling fan would kick on for a short time.

Now its cooled off a little, and the fan never comes on when I stop even if the bike guage shows to be 1 click below the red zone.

does this sound right?

thanks
2012 RTS.

Cruzr Joe
10-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Just curious:
All summer, I would get where I was going, shut off the bike, and the cooling fan would kick on for a short time.

Now its cooled off a little, and the fan never comes on when I stop even if the bike guage shows to be 1 click below the red zone.

does this sound right?

thanks
2012 RTS.

Does the fan ever come on?

Cruzr Joe

claychaser
10-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Just curious:

does this sound right?

thanks
2012 RTS.

Mine does the same thing. Now that it is cooler, same story. The fan running after stopping has been predictable after a while. Since it happens to us...is it "normal"??

Sny
10-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Just curious:

does this sound right?

thanks
2012 RTS.
Your temp is nearly all the way up and the fan isn't on when the engine is running or stopped?

It shouldn't ever get that high with the engine running.

Engine off, however, it's nothing to be too concerned with. The coolant stops flowing and the temp sensor gets really hot at that point.

The fan running when you shut it off doesn't really do anything since the coolant stops flowing. I'm guessing the temp sensor is only polled every few seconds when it's not running and the fan hasn't been told to shut off yet.

kepople
10-21-2013, 09:50 AM
i have a hot running Spyder. in traffic the guage goes up to a click below the red zone. The fan does come on when its at a light and such, but I have not noticed since its cooled off.
When it was 85 degrees out, highway speeds would still put the guage well above half. Now that its cooler, highway speeds, the needle never goes above 1/2. in traffic it still does though.

Seems normal, but I wanted to make sure.

CyncySpyder
10-21-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm not a mechanic, and can only relay our experience of ryding 2 different RT's (2010 & 2011) for a little over 55 thousand miles and on ours, anytime the temp. gauge reads over half way, our radiator fan WILL KICK ON till the temp drops, then it'll shut back off & I believe this is the way the system was designed. If your's isn't kicking on til its almost in the Red Zone, I'd think you may have an issue with your thermostat possibly sticking & would ask your dealer to look into it.

On ours, like you mentioned, since its cooler out, ours won't always kick on now when shutting down, as long as the temp. gauge is reading below half way. Anything over half way tho, and the fan will kick on for the 30 second delay when shutting down.

Hope this makes since & helps & good luck to you both ;)

finless
10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm not a mechanic, and can only relay our experience of ryding 2 different RT's (2010 & 2011) for a little over 55 thousand miles and on ours, anytime the temp. gauge reads over half way, our radiator fan WILL KICK ON till the temp drops, then it'll shut back off & I believe this is the way the system was designed.

This is exactly how my 2011 works. One click above center on the digitial gauge and the fan kicks on.
Also I have yet to NOT have the fan come on when turning off the engine (I always use the kill swicth not the key to shut the engine off). The fan comes on every time when I shut down.

With that said my gauge pretty much runs center most the time so when I turn off the engine it is pretty much in the center. I cannot say if the fan would come on if I was below center as that has never happened to me. Only time I see the gauge below center is early morning cooking down the freeway and even then it's only ever been 1 click below center maybe 2 at the most. I do know the gauge works as first start up in the morning it takes a few minutes to come up to temp.

I have NEVER seen my gauge go into the red ever even on 100F days here in Cali. The highest I have ever seen is one click above center! Then the fan comes on and it goes off when the gauge is in the center again.

As Cycncy said, I am pretty sure this is how to is suppose to work or at least how my 2011 RTS works.

Bob

jerpinoy
10-21-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm not a mechanic, and can only relay our experience of ryding 2 different RT's (2010 & 2011) for a little over 55 thousand miles and on ours, anytime the temp. gauge reads over half way, our radiator fan WILL KICK ON till the temp drops, then it'll shut back off & I believe this is the way the system was designed. If your's isn't kicking on til its almost in the Red Zone, I'd think you may have an issue with your thermostat possibly sticking & would ask your dealer to look into it.

On ours, like you mentioned, since its cooler out, ours won't always kick on now when shutting down, as long as the temp. gauge is reading below half way. Anything over half way tho, and the fan will kick on for the 30 second delay when shutting down.

Hope this makes since & helps & good luck to you both ;)

:agree: In addition ensure that your coolant is in proper level.

flaggerphil
10-21-2013, 01:07 PM
After a long hot ride mine comes on after stopping all the time. I have cars do the same thing. I take it as normal.

Chupaca
10-21-2013, 02:27 PM
this is normal. Ours is a cool runner and only hear the fan shut down as I turn the key off. Even at 100* runs at 5 bars. We run 75% distilled water and 25% 50/50 coolant with water wetter. But as the cooler weather comes you will not have the fan coming on after stopping...just make sure it does stop or you have a different problem...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-21-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm guessing that anitfreeze is widely needed in San Diego?? :D

Chupaca
10-21-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm guessing that anitfreeze is widely needed in San Diego?? :D

cooling water is quicker and easier than cooling antifreeze and it also flows faster through the cooling system. Read up and you only need a small amount of antifreeze to keep seals etc lubricated and protected. Granted that the last time anything froze aound here it was in my freezer so I could go 80%/20%. Wouldn't recommend it where weather is prone to freeze but for summer months could help...:thumbup:

cuznjohn
10-21-2013, 06:56 PM
my fan comes on when i shut the bike down no matter what temp it is outside