PDA

View Full Version : My first HEAT complaint 2013 RT

kml354
10-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Had the laser alignment done on Saturday great job guys. Spent about 45 minutes driving around Daytona. The front of seat, gas cap, and panels were so hot actually thought I might end up with burn marks. The seat of my pants and the parts that touched the panels were soaked in sweat. Now I understand all the complaints about the heat. Stopped at the grocery story about 1 mile from house and got the Orange high heat warning light. Worst ride I've had in the last 40 years. If BRP give 2013 owners a rebate for trade on a 2014 count me in.

OWISE1
10-20-2013, 12:40 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59278-2013-rt-problem-tread :banghead:

MidLifeCrisis
10-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Have you tried any of the fixes shared on this site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Explorer
10-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Please forgive a new owner, who has not even taken delivery yet, for speaking.
1. Was this the first time that you had this much heat in similar weather and driving conditions?
2. Cause and effect! Could it be that when your steering was zeroed after alignment, something was reprogramed?
Good Luck,
Roger

cuznjohn
10-20-2013, 02:20 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59278-2013-rt-problem-tread :banghead:

interesting tread thanks for sharing

wftb
10-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Please forgive a new owner, who has not even taken delivery yet, for speaking.
1. Was this the first time that you had this much heat in similar weather and driving conditions?
2. Cause and effect! Could it be that when your steering was zeroed after alignment, something was reprogramed?
Good Luck,
Roger
i really hope you are not buying a 2013 .the heat problems are due to a bad design and the recall is just a bandaid .buy a 2013 and you will regret it .wait for a 2014 or find a NOS 2012 .

kml354
10-20-2013, 02:43 PM
When I go in for the 600 check up I'll let the service department know about the heat. The alignment was zeroed with BUDS. I'm hoping it's just running lean. I think this can be a great ride just without the heat.
Safe Riding to everyone.

rick_w
10-20-2013, 03:10 PM
When I go in for the 600 check up I'll let the service department know about the heat. The alignment was zeroed with BUDS. I'm hoping it's just running lean. I think this can be a great ride just without the heat.
Safe Riding to everyone.

We have literally hundreds of customers, local, call-ins and internet with 2013's. I do not think we have ever talked to anyone who regretted it. We even have a 2013 RT ourselves.
With that said I did do some heat modifications on ours. With some slight modifications most of the problems are taken care of. Yes it should not have to be done by the customer, but I can't remember any bike I have ever had that did not have something that was designed bad that needed modifications afterwards.

Wrapping the pipe on the left seems to be a almost necessity. That takes a lot of the heat away. Some heat reflective material a few other places also takes care of other problems like the hot fuel cap.
You can see pictures below of what we did, which is very similar to what we have seen from many of our customers and on here.
Rick
Value-Accessories (http://store.valueaccessories.net/index.aspx)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/rmwiles/Motorcycle%20Pictures/Can-Am%20Spyder/SpyderHeatShielding_zps67833ca1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/rmwiles/Motorcycle%20Pictures/Can-Am%20Spyder/SpyderHeatShielding-1_zps7dfbd160.jpg

RBS66
10-20-2013, 03:30 PM
That's where my heat comes from also. My pants weren't wet but they could have been if my ride was longer. Now that it is getting cooler heat isn't quite as bad. But still pretty noticeable but my rides have been no longer than 2 hours ever.

cuznjohn
10-20-2013, 03:44 PM
That's where my heat comes from also. My pants weren't wet but they could have been if my ride was longer. Now that it is getting cooler heat isn't quite as bad. But still pretty noticeable but my rides have been no longer than 2 hours ever.

have you had the heat recall done yet, if not get it done, my fuel canister melted and the heat is too much for me

Bob Denman
10-20-2013, 04:57 PM
We don't really have enough information in here yet...
The only hard clue given, is that this bike hasn't been back for it's 600 miler just yet...
Did you own a previous Spyder, that you are now able to compare this one to?
Were you aware of 2013 owners' efforts to combat the heat problems?
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

kml354
10-20-2013, 05:43 PM
We don't really have enough information in here yet...
The only hard clue given, is that this bike hasn't been back for it's 600 miler just yet...
Did you own a previous Spyder, that you are now able to compare this one to?
Were you aware of 2013 owners' efforts to combat the heat problems?
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
I had a 2009 GS SE5, had some heat but a few items from Spyderpops took care of them.
I knew some people had complaints, but until this weekend I couldn't imagine what I felt. The only other bike I have owned with a heat problem was a Suzuki VS1400 intruder, In stop and go traffic like Daytona Bike Week you would lose the clutch because of heat.

cuznjohn
10-20-2013, 06:18 PM
my triumph rocket lll was murder in traffic but it was a big motor, my rt in traffic i just want to get off it and push it

Jeriatric
10-20-2013, 06:26 PM
I had a 2009 GS SE5, had some heat but a few items from Spyderpops took care of them.
I knew some people had complaints, but until this weekend I couldn't imagine.......

Feeling is beleaving. nojoke

Chupaca
10-20-2013, 09:34 PM
sorry to hear your getting heat issues..:gaah:

Daisyjoe
10-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Had the laser alignment done on Saturday great job guys. Spent about 45 minutes driving around Daytona. The front of seat, gas cap, and panels were so hot actually thought I might end up with burn marks. The seat of my pants and the parts that touched the panels were soaked in sweat. Now I understand all the complaints about the heat. Stopped at the grocery story about 1 mile from house and got the Orange high heat warning light. Worst ride I've had in the last 40 years. If BRP give 2013 owners a rebate for trade on a 2014 count me in.

You can't tell anyone how uncomfortable and painful (I've had burn marks several times) the ride can be. When you experience it yourself, it can only leave you shaking your head asking "Why wasn't this malfunction caught before it was sold to the first customer?" No one should have to endure this from a machine that costs $27,000. I've had the heat recall done and it still gets so hot I have to put a shirt on the seat. " Worst ride I've had in the last 40 years." My sentiments exactly!

SpyderAnn01
10-20-2013, 11:46 PM
We have literally hundreds of customers, local, call-ins and internet with 2013's. I do not think we have ever talked to anyone who regretted it. We even have a 2013 RT ourselves.

Forgive me but what rock have you been hiding under?

Texas
10-20-2013, 11:54 PM
New Guy on the Block Here,

I haven't purchased a Spyder yet, but as soon as the new 2014 RT-S makes it to the showrooms, I will be buying one. However, in regards to the 2013 heat issue, does anyone know if radiant barrier would work? I've seen some very impressive demonstrations where radiant barrier was able to block all of the heat; keeping it to the one side. I'm sorry to hear of everyone who is having the issues, and I know there are many other bikes that have heat issues as well. I've had heat issues on previous bikes as well, but that was before I knew about radiant barrier. Just keep in mind that the barrier has to applied correctly to work correctly. You can't apply it to the heat source, because then you would get heat transfer due to conduction heat. However, I think that if you apply it to the underside of all panels (with a thin layer of insulation between the panels and barrier), this may very well greatly reduce the heat that is felt on the legs and seat. This is a fairly inexpensive modification, and for anyone who owns a $20K+ bike that is experiencing this issue, it is well worth the investment. I'm certain it will lower the temperature you feel. The only question is, how much will it lower it. I know if I experience this problem on my new Spyder, I'll definitely be giving it a try.

Just my two cents,

Texas

kml354
10-21-2013, 06:26 AM
New Guy on the Block Here,

I haven't purchased a Spyder yet, but as soon as the new 2014 RT-S makes it to the showrooms, I will be buying one. However, in regards to the 2013 heat issue, does anyone know if radiant barrier would work? I've seen some very impressive demonstrations where radiant barrier was able to block all of the heat; keeping it to the one side. I'm sorry to hear of everyone who is having the issues, and I know there are many other bikes that have heat issues as well. I've had heat issues on previous bikes as well, but that was before I knew about radiant barrier. Just keep in mind that the barrier has to applied correctly to work correctly. You can't apply it to the heat source, because then you would get heat transfer due to conduction heat. However, I think that if you apply it to the underside of all panels (with a thin layer of insulation between the panels and barrier), this may very well greatly reduce the heat that is felt on the legs and seat. This is a fairly inexpensive modification, and for anyone who owns a $20K+ bike that is experiencing this issue, it is well worth the investment. I'm certain it will lower the temperature you feel. The only question is, how much will it lower it. I know if I experience this problem on my new Spyder, I'll definitely be giving it a try.

Just my two cents,

Texas

Hi Texas,
My next move is to wrap the exhaust with the copper wrap and put radiant barriers on the tank and panels.
I like the bike too much to give up on it even if BRP did a crappy job with the heat problem. I'll make this the sweet ride it should be.
:yes:

Bob Denman
10-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Texas,
:welcome:

Texas
10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Hi Texas,
My next move is to wrap the exhaust with the copper wrap and put radiant barriers on the tank and panels.
I like the bike too much to give up on it even if BRP did a crappy job with the heat problem. I'll make this the sweet ride it should be.
:yes:

I look forward to hearing about the results. Like I said, if the radiant barrier is applied properly, it should make a significant difference. You might want to take pictures along the way, because if you are successful, I'm sure a DIY will be needed.

Texas

jerpinoy
10-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm really sorry to rider who had heat problems. You should take it back to your dealer and get the heat issue solve. Hope you took picture on your burnt legs as evidence and back up of your claim.

jwulf74
10-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Just move further North... my heat complaint is that there isn't enough coming off the bike to keep me riding it now that the lows are getting down into the 20's. :roflblack: