PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearings

ingramsail
10-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Getting ready to replace rear tire and want to have a set of rear wheel bearings and seals on hand. Where is the best place to order them?
This will be the 3rd rear tire in 22400 miles, the first two where done at the Dealership. This one will be my first but I have the RT and the RSS to do.

SteveMac
10-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Not sure if you have the tool for removing the nut holding the bearings in (sure makes it easier) but if not, below is a good tip from Lamont. Some use the hammer chisel method, but that damages the nut shoulders too much for my taste.

Lamonts tip: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50853-Rear-bearing-nut-tool&p=602698&viewfull=1#post602698

ingramsail
10-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Also is their a video on removing the bearings ?

tigerdr
10-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Take your parts from your Can-Am dealer.

TIGERDR
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ulflyer
10-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Getting ready to replace rear tire and want to have a set of rear wheel bearings and seals on hand. Where is the best place to order them?
This will be the 3rd rear tire in 22400 miles, the first two where done at the Dealership. This one will be my first but I have the RT and the RSS to do.

I had a set done last fall at about 22K and used BRP products; all bearings were U.S. or Canadian (I think...at least no Chinese or weird stuff) made. I had new seals put in as well. Dealer installed when putting new tire on. As I recall, the outer big bearing didn't show any wear but I had it replaced anyway, and the two single bearing were beginning to show just a little. Could have gone a few more thousand but then was a good time for the relatively small cost of the bearings...less than $70.

Chupaca
10-20-2013, 10:29 PM
unless you have the demensions or part numders it would be easiest to get them from dealer. If yours are bad and you can pull them then you can match them up at auto parts or machine shop. Seals as well. Check numbers on bearings and seals this may help if you search out your own. This may be if dealer doesn't stock them, has been known to happen...:thumbup:

ulflyer
10-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Some of the earlier BRP bearing were made in China and while I have no indications they were/are inferior, I did a lot of searching online trying to find bearings made elsewhere. I did find the two smaller ones made in Japan or U.S. but couldn't find a match for the double row large bearing. Pricewise, they were not much cheaper than those sold by BRP. You might check ur dealer if they have them on hand and see where they are made...its marked on the package. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the set I ordered to see they were not Chinese made.