PDA

View Full Version : installing Garmin Nav unit

golfsferr
10-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm going to install a nav unit soon and see the Zuma series mentioned here a lot. I went to the Garmin site and it shows the Zuma series listed for motorcycles and Nuvi listed for Automotive and was wondering why I can't use a Nuvi series model instead. They are a lot cheaper and as far as I'm concerned all I need is Blue tooth capability and verbal and visual maps. Please enlighten me, cause I don't get it. :dontknow:

ottawa-rider
10-19-2013, 12:54 PM
The Zuma series is weather proof.

golfsferr
10-19-2013, 01:01 PM
The Zuma series is weather proof.
Duh, Thanks. I know I should use my glassed more.:duh:

IGETAROUND
10-19-2013, 02:04 PM
of course plastic bags are cheap; could replace alot of "car" GPS for the cost of ONE 660:yikes:

Copperman
10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Before I had my Spyder, I rode various two wheelers. I always had a GPS on them, mounted with a RAM mount. When it rained, I slipped the GPS in a zip-lock baggie and then put it in the RAM mount. I never had a problem. Heck, I still use the Tom-Tom I used on my bikes.

I read a lot that the motorcycle GPS' were designed to take the vibration and weather (rain). I never had a problem using a "car" GPS on my bike(s). They're a lot less expensive, too.

MarkLawson
10-19-2013, 06:50 PM
The Zumo screens are also pressure sensitive so you can operate them while using gloves. Controls are spaced so they are easy to use with gloves. They also come with car mounts to make them easy to move from Spyder to car.

SNOOPY
10-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I've never used a GPS before. :dontknow:

DrewNJ
10-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Car GPS's have worked just fine for me over the years. Currently using a Nuvi 40lm and I paid about $75 for it.
No issues yet with rain, vibration, snow or hurricanes...

One huge advantage of the motorcycle units is the Bluetooth pairing to your helmet. Most of the car units don't work that way. I just use mine with the sound off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
10-20-2013, 08:49 AM
I think that the Zumo is also set up for left hand operation... :thumbup:

DrewNJ
10-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Huh?

golfsferr
10-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Car GPS's have worked just fine for me over the years. Currently using a Nuvi 40lm and I paid about $75 for it.
No issues yet with rain, vibration, snow or hurricanes...

One huge advantage of the motorcycle units is the Bluetooth pairing to your helmet. Most of the car units don't work that way. I just use mine with the sound off.

I've got a old Nuvi 760 and it has Bluetooth, which is a must have for me. Good to hear about you no issues.

golfsferr
10-20-2013, 10:53 AM

Seriously, a little unit like that needs to be configured for left and right hand operations. ;)

edmarino
10-20-2013, 11:00 AM
A Zumo is definite over kill for my use of a GPS . I am not proud, I can tolerate a plastic bag on my GPS to save me several HUNDRED dollars, if it has to be out in the rain.

Sny
10-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Sun is shining... park the Spyder... go inside for some tea and a pastry...

While inside the sky opens up and dumps all over it. Now we're 500 miles from home with no GPS.

It's not the end of the world, but it sure adds stress to a normally stress-free ride home.

Why not just get a cheap nuvi and a waterproof case?

http://goo.gl/z66eXs

I get a new $75 Nuvi every couple years and re-use the waterproof mount. Don't need to pay for maps this way either :)

I am considering the new Zumo with the tire pressure monitors and the "find the twisties" function however.

Bob Denman
10-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Seriously, a little unit like that needs to be configured for left and right hand operations. ;)
I believe what they mean, is that the touchable buttons part, is on the left hand side of the screen...

Dragonrider
10-20-2013, 03:02 PM
I have a complete Garmin Zumo 550 kit for sale on this site….

Trickie Dick
10-20-2013, 08:45 PM
I believe what they mean, is that the touchable buttons part, is on the left hand side of the screen...

Buttons:dontknow: My Zumo doesn't have any button, not even right handed buttons. :roflblack::roflblack:

golfsferr
10-20-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a complete Garmin Zumo 550 kit for sale on this site…. I looked and couldn't find it.

SNOOPY
10-20-2013, 09:03 PM
I looked and couldn't find it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59553-Left-over-RT-stuff

GeoffCee
10-20-2013, 09:45 PM

I believe the reason why the Zumo has its control buttons on the left side is to leave your right hand free to control the twist grip.

Weatherwise, the Zumo is fully gasketed and according to Garmin it can spend 30 minutes in a bucket of water without drowning, (tho I wouldn't try this party trick on my own Zumo 550, I'll take their word for it). :shocked:

golfsferr
10-20-2013, 09:48 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59553-Left-over-RT-stuff

Thanks