PDA

View Full Version : KEWL METAL/JUICE BOX...

CANUCK SPYDER
10-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Hey folks, Ive been pondering about ordering both of these pieces but am hesitant for two reasons. First I live up In CANADA and quite sure my SpYdeRS parked till the spring :-( And kinda entertain the leave well enough alone thing, But from what I have read they run lean out of the box and adding A better intake/slip on will just make it worse. Mine came with a HINDLE slip on and do notice when come off the throttle some times it does the poping out the bum thing like Ive read which is a lean condition. I really like the idea and the easy acess to the engine with the KEWL Intake but from what I have read I will require a Juice Box or something similar if put it on. Ive looked at both pieces being installed via you tube vids little tricky but would have all winter and or spring to put on. The pro by ordering now will have all winter too install but installing now will have to wait till spring too test. Can still ride right now just be a little chilly. I really havent read too many negative things about these add ons mostly good stuff. What I DO NOT want is a machine that I would have to tinkle with every time I run it. So any riders have both and could give thier experiece with these expensive little add ons...My Spyders 2008 GS manual shift...Thanks Doug

daveinva
10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
I wrote a few threads related to my experience installing an aftermarket exhaust (a Yoshi in my case), the KewlMetal intake, and the Juice Box Pro, search for those if you haven't yet read them.

My verdict: it's pretty easy to do the work with a little patience and some decent hand tools-- I am NOT AT ALL mechanically inclined. The results are pretty good; love the air intake, and the JB cures most* of the pop while giving a bit more power to the Spyder.

The downside is that asterisk-- without access to a dyno, you'll do quite a bit of "butt dyno" work to dial in the Juice Box. And what I've found is that those settings aren't 100% perfect year-round-- you'll probably need to tweak the settings every now and then based on temperature/altitude (i.e. if you ride into cold from hot, or high from low, you might get some popping). The good news is that if you start from the right "base" map, the tweaks are made simply with a little eyeglass screwdriver at your frunk. No big deal, just a little bit more work from time to time. (RE: base map, the JB Pro ships with a few that may work for you with the Hindle; I found with the Yoshi I needed to download a *Powercommander* map that worked best for me, and I just tweak the settings off of that).

That all said, if you can get your hands on a (sadly now used) O2 modifier from Evoluzione, that might be the easiest tweak-- cheaper and easier to install than the Juice Box, that's for sure. They sometimes appear for sale here at Spyderlovers in the 4sale/WTB section.

Lastly: check out the Powercommander 5 with autotune as an alternative to the JB. Only difference with the PCV is that you'll need to weld a part onto the pipe... I don't do welding (remember: NOT AT ALL mechanically inclined ;)), but most any local mechanic (not even a Spyder mechanic) will be able to handle that bit for you.

CANUCK SPYDER
10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the Reply, Ill keep my options open and prob will not rush out and order anything yet. I spent over $1500 making my GS more comfortable and that was a good investment. Making it sound a little better/maybe little more Jam cant hurt. I was just gona buy a K/N filter but like the Kewl metal round filter set up but want to make sure I make the right choices. Doug