PDA

View Full Version : Direct or indirect ?

Jeriatric
10-17-2013, 01:48 PM
It has been said that BRP addressed heat problems model year 2014. Reversing the fan direction would be a direct approach.

Dual radiators?

Maybe the tripple needed a larger cooling area than the current single radiator configuration would allow?

If so. Is that direct or indirect?

Just a thought and question. Not an attack

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 01:56 PM
with the problems the 2013 owners are having, me included, it may be a cooling issue as far as a small radiator service. but they have used this setup b4 so it must work. i am new to spyders and really have no clue what type of cooling systems other bikes have. it could be a bad batch of thermostats not opening correctly, or the fan is not coming on enough to cool the bikes down ( a simple software fix for that i think ) but they know the problem exists and i really hope they can fix it

Dan McNally
10-17-2013, 04:44 PM
The radiator seems to cool my Spyder, quite well . . . my "heat" issues have to do, primarily, with the captured heat under the tupperwear, rather than an engine cooling issue. Where the radiator vents heat is an issue for some, but that has nothing to do with the size of the radiator. Vertika has a floorboard that looks like it resolves the hotfoot issue, well, but is quite expensive . . . I am sure someone else will come up with something more reasonable, in time. We need more air circulation under the tupperware and a lot of the heat issues would be resolved.

MarkLawson
10-17-2013, 07:48 PM
The main heat source under the current Spyders is the routing of the exhaust system. The '14 appears to have addressed that with the exhaust wrapping down the front of the engine and then along the bottom. The relocation and increased capacity of the radiators adds to the total heat management, but was never the main cause of the critical heat problems besides heat on the leg and foot.

Chupaca
10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
the radiators are not the problem as far as cooling the engine but the fact it all blows up under adding the exhaust heat and things get awfully hot. Moving that heat out of there is the problem. The 14's have been a 5 year project and the 13's heat issues came to late. I think all was pretty much set as far as those radiators go...jmo...

Jeriatric
10-17-2013, 11:36 PM
The point of the original post being.

Considering how long the 14 has been under development. (A number of years ?)

What changes directly addressed a wide range of heat complaints over the years, and which changes were emplimented simply out of necessity due to new engine cooling needs.

WarrenGH
10-18-2013, 09:31 PM
It has been said that BRP addressed heat problems model year 2014. Reversing the fan direction would be a direct approach.

Dual radiators?

Maybe the tripple needed a larger cooling area than the current single radiator configuration would allow?

If so. Is that direct or indirect?

Just a thought and question. Not an attack

I spent a few years working heavy equipment and a big problem was being cooked by the engine and radiator heat. A quick fix was found by the mechanic getting the then fan blades replaced with reverse air flow blades. Makes me wonder if reverse flow fan blades might eliminate the heat problem.

MarkLawson
10-19-2013, 07:26 AM
I spent a few years working heavy equipment and a big problem was being cooked by the engine and radiator heat. A quick fix was found by the mechanic getting the then fan blades replaced with reverse air flow blades. Makes me wonder if reverse flow fan blades might eliminate the heat problem.

The new RT has reverse flow through the radiators up to 15 mph. In 2001 Honda did that with the GL1800 Goldwing which made for overheating issues in the earlier models when riding under 20 mph. I guess the fans blowing forward while the wind blew rearward tended to cancel each other's airflow through the radiator. I could ride mine in such a way (parade mode) as to have it puke coolant within a few minutes. Honda increased the radiator capacity, amongst other changes I'm sure, to correct that design flaw.

I'm hope BRP is bypassing the mistakes Honda made and taking advantage of their progress.

fastfraser
10-19-2013, 07:58 AM
I think the heat problem in the 2013s was due to the change in the frame and position of the 998 to accommodate the 1330 in 2014. I'm not sure but doesn't only one fan reverse ?

Bob Denman
10-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Are we arguing the, "chicken versus the egg" thing now?? :shocked:
Two different engines with vastly different cooling needs...
I wonder if they've got that new exhaust routing in a place that's gonna monkey up the ability of somebody to find a safe jacking point under the bike? nojoke