PDA

View Full Version : I Keep Seeing People (including Dealers) Refer to the OLD MAINTENANCE schedule.

Knarfoh
10-16-2013, 03:00 PM
I purchased my 2012 Spyder last year in April. In June, BRP sent all Spyder owners a letter with a new maintenance schedule.

For those of you who failed to update their manual; never received it for some reason; got it but forgot it; etc. you can CLICK HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/BRP_Can_Am_Spyder_Revised_Maintenance_Schedule_red acted.pdf) to remind yourself of its contents.

My local dealer was trying to sell me some service (valve adjustment) that is no longer recommended at a lower mileage then the manufacturer currently recommends. He actually didn't believe me and dug through all the BRP bulletins, only to find out I was right.

DAMN --- there were a lot of service bulletins, etc. for him to dig through. Kinda Scary! No wonder no one can keep track of everything!

SpyderAnn01
10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
I'd be looking for a new dealer.

Knarfoh
10-16-2013, 07:03 PM
I'd be looking for a new dealer.
It was one of the mechanics in the backroom. I am in Ohio and I was planning for my end-of-year service. Pretty soon it will be too cold to ride in Ohio. I was talking to him about the things I want done (i.e. oil change, front tires rotated, etc.) when he brought up the valve adjustment. I have had pretty good service of them in the past and he wasn't argumentative, he just went to check the service bulletins while we were talking. I wasn't kidding. The stack of service bulletins were neatly together, but there waa a bunch of them, not just for the Spyder but every other BRP product they sell.

All is well that ends well!

P.S. Like many others, we can't be too choosy unless we are prepared to travel GREAT distances for routine service.

spydaman60
10-16-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd be looking for a new dealer.seems to be a lot of this going around lately!:dontknow:

CurtG
10-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Nice they sent the letter in June, doesn't help those of us that bought in October :D just sayin'. And before you ask the manuals weren"t updated. I was told that after the oil change that added the lager trany filter that a letter was sent out with the new schedule. Still waiting - it's been done twice :helpsmilie:.

I continue to ride and have fun figure the paper work with catch up sooner or later.

Ride and ride safe,

billybovine
10-20-2013, 04:21 PM
It was one of the mechanics in the backroom. I am in Ohio and I was planning for my end-of-year service. Pretty soon it will be too cold to ride in Ohio. I was talking to him about the things I want done (i.e. oil change, front tires rotated, etc.) when he brought up the valve adjustment. I have had pretty good service of them in the past and he wasn't argumentative, he just went to check the service bulletins while we were talking. I wasn't kidding. The stack of service bulletins were neatly together, but there waa a bunch of them, not just for the Spyder but every other BRP product they sell.

P.S. Like many others, we can't be too choosy unless we are prepared to travel GREAT distances for routine service.

No need for paper. If the tech keys in your VIN into BOSSWEB it will come up with all outstanding service bulletins for your Spyder. No need for stacks of paper or confusion.

billybovine
10-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Nice they sent the letter in June, doesn't help those of us that bought in October :D just sayin'. And before you ask the manuals weren"t updated. I was told that after the oil change that added the lager trany filter that a letter was sent out with the new schedule. Still waiting - it's been done twice :helpsmilie:.

I continue to ride and have fun figure the paper work with catch up sooner or later.

Ride and ride safe,

My dealer at the time had a stack of updated maintenance schedules on the service desk counter. I never received one in the mail.

Bob Denman
10-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Which is more prevalent; Dealer problems, or Bike problems? :dontknow:

Knarfoh
10-20-2013, 05:19 PM
No need for paper. If the tech keys in your VIN into BOSSWEB it will come up with all outstanding service bulletins for your Spyder. No need for stacks of paper or confusion.
I parked my Spyder in the front of the dealership. Service in the back. LOL. Don't want you to think it was ONE BIG ARDUOUS process we went through. He said something about valve adjustment; I said something about they changed the mileage recommendation for that adjustment; he said he didn't realize it; he looked it up in a few minutes it took him to go through the paper copies.

Nice they sent the letter in June, doesn't help those of us that bought in October.
Yeah - that does suck that they wouldn't have updated the manual or had the inserts that they mailed to everyone else who had already bought their Spyder.

My dealer at the time had a stack of updated maintenance schedules on the service desk counter. I never received one in the mail.
Sounds like your dealer was doing good follow-up. Don't we all wish we could expect the same level of service from the BRP dealer network without having to shop around for a good dealer and/or service department?

ARtraveler
10-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Bob is right on with his question about dealer problems or :spyder2: problems.

IMO: Dealers cause a lot of problems with the :spyder2: because they have unexperienced mechanics.

The valve adjustment thing has been dropped from the maintainence schedule for 2014 on RT's with the new ACE engine. It was an $800 service bonanza for the dealer. I have had two of them done--one at the recommended mileage on my new 2008 GS and one at 28,000 miles on my 2010 RT-S. Neither machine needed any additional adjustment. I spent $1,600 big ones to find out my machines were within spec. I am also sure, that some dealers knowing this, have charged for the service and not even performed it. My dealer is not included in that comment.

Raknid
10-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Ride and ride safe,

We purchased in Oct 2012 as well. Never received the updated manual or schedule either. :-( Guess it will come with the Welcome Kit someday...

NancysToy
10-20-2013, 09:29 PM
We purchased in Oct 2012 as well. Never received the updated manual or schedule either. :-( Guess it will come with the Welcome Kit someday...

This is a dealer deficiency. Dealers were supposed to supply the revised manual inserts (or insert them before the sale) for Spyders in their inventory at or after the time of the notification. See your dealer for a copy, or contact BRP Customer Care for assistance.

Knarfoh
10-21-2013, 08:07 AM
We purchased in Oct 2012 as well. Never received the updated manual or schedule either. Guess it will come with the Welcome Kit someday...

This is a dealer deficiency. Dealers were supposed to supply the revised manual inserts (or insert them before the sale) for Spyders in their inventory at or after the time of the notification. See your dealer for a copy, or contact BRP Customer Care for assistance.
Wish I had scanned and uploaded earlier based on the comments I am seeing. Once again, CLICK HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/BRP_Can_Am_Spyder_Revised_Maintenance_Schedule_red acted.pdf) to see the ENTIRE mailing.

Cuffs19
10-21-2013, 09:21 AM

We're in the same boat. No welcome kit, no service update. Bought in October 2012.

HedonismBot
10-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks for this! I never received the revised one for my 2012 we got last summer.

capt jim
10-21-2013, 11:31 AM
my break pedal was way down on my 2011 rt se5 so took it tonearest dealer to pal;m springs banning ca the mechanic told me that requires a major overhaul of the breaking system not under warrenty over $2,ooo(didnt say how much over)_I left there as fast as I could stopped in Sparks Nevada servbicve mgr said no problem will fix it righjht away they had it done the next day no charge nbreaks are fine owner is happy go figure

Knarfoh
10-21-2013, 06:02 PM
my break pedal was way down on my 2011 rt se5 so took it tonearest dealer to pal;m springs banning ca the mechanic told me that requires a major overhaul of the breaking system not under warrenty over $2,ooo(didnt say how much over)_I left there as fast as I could stopped in Sparks Nevada servbicve mgr said no problem will fix it righjht away they had it done the next day no charge nbreaks are fine owner is happy go figure
Nice post. I read it several times. Then I reread it. Then I scratched my head. Then I thought "WHO THE HECK WOULD POST THAT HERE? IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC?"

That would have been interesting for people to have read in its own thread. We need to help each other spot the good/bad dealers.

Unfortunately -- this was posted in a thread that has nothing to do with the topic. It will be missed by people who might be searching for dealer information.

I see the poster has made 131 posts. Wonder if any of them are on topic?

Barlock
10-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Do you happen to know what service bulletin # that was?

greatrides
10-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Just down the road... and I think we use the same dealer...would love to call them out if you would like to know what dealer just ASK me.......its all about the dealer and the tech working on the spyder. My dealer in town is not very good.....sad thing is they own the 2 in the next town too.

Knarfoh
10-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Just down the road... and I think we use the same dealer...would love to call them out if you would like to know what dealer just ASK me.......its all about the dealer and the tech working on the spyder. My dealer in town is not very good.....sad thing is they own the 2 in the next town too.
If you are in Lancaster, we use the same dealership. Yes, all 3 owned by the same people. I have had good service in Lancaster. I am not complaining about the service. I was just mentioning that the particular mechanic I was talking to was unaware of the EXTENDED service bulletin on the valve adjustment.

How has your service experience been there? You can PM me if you want.

I wrote about my buying experience here CLICK HERE (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?38727-Traveled-the-Distance-to-Get-my-New-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S)

Where did you buy?

Knarfoh
10-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Do you happen to know what service bulletin # that was?
Sure - service bulletin 2012-12.

CLICK HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/Updated_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf) to see a copy.

Barlock
10-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Sure - service bulletin 2012-12.

CLICK HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/Updated_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf) to see a copy.

Thank you so much. :thumbup: You are the best! :firstplace:

hill27
10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
thanks for the info, first time that I have heard of the new schedule going to have a long talk with my dealer.
once again thanks