PDA

View Full Version : 5000 mile service

strmgra
10-16-2013, 09:56 AM
what can I expect to pay for 5000 mile service on a 2012 RT?

jerpinoy
10-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Check with your local dealer and shop around. Some of us we do our own oil change and saves few bucks.

CyncySpyder
10-16-2013, 10:56 AM
MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
Maintenance is very important for keeping your vehicle in safe operating condition.Proper maintenance is the owner's responsibility. The maintenance scheduledoes not exempt the pre-ride inspection.
WARNING
Failure to properly maintain the vehicle according to the maintenanceschedule and procedures canmake it unsafe to operate.
PERIODIC MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
Break-in inspection 1 000 km (600 mi)Every 5 000 km (3,000mi)Every 10 000 km (6,000 mi) or 1 yearEvery 20 000 km (12,000mi) or 2 years

The posted Maintenance Schedule for the 2012 RT is 600 mile Break-In Inspection then the next regular Service Interval would be at 3,600 miles then 6,600 miles, so I'm not sure where your getting the 5,000 mile marker that your asking about :dontknow:

But every dealer is different and most labor rates are all over the board, even in similar areas. As an example, we originally had 2 dealers in our general area, one charged $109/hr for Spyder Labor & the other only charged $79/hr for Spyder Labor, and they were only about 50 miles apart. Granted, after about 2 yrs of Spyders & charging $109/hr for labor, that dealer is now closed :clap:

But it really does depend on your area and dealer. I've had a low of $160 & a high of $320 for the service interval your asking about. As another poster stated however, we ordered the Service Manual from Green Manuals on-line from Ebay & now we do all of our own routine maintenance that we can & get most of what's needed from BajaRon, who's a SpyderLovers site sponser & is :firstplace: 2nd to none when it comes to Customer Service :bowdown:

Hope this helps some ;) & good luck :thumbup:

Chupaca
10-16-2013, 11:31 AM
:agree: 5,000 miles is not an interval. Manual tells you what should be done at each one. At this point you would get an oil change and maybe a buds connection. But check with your dealer first...!! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-16-2013, 01:49 PM
What the above posters said.

Most basic oil change services by the dealer are in the $300 ballpark. Some are less. It is a good idea to inquire about price prior to authorizing the service. That way, there will be no surprises at pick up time.

You will save money by doing it your self--but that is an option for those who are good with mechanicals and not afraid to work on the :spyder2:. Unfortunately, I do not resemble that statement.

Knarfoh
10-16-2013, 02:48 PM
MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

Maintenance is very important for keeping your vehicle in safe operating condition.Proper maintenance is the owner's responsibility. The maintenance scheduledoes not exempt the pre-ride inspection.

WARNING

Failure to properly maintain the vehicle according to the maintenanceschedule and procedures canmake it unsafe to operate.

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

Break-in inspection 1 000 km (600 mi)Every 5 000 km (3,000mi)Every 10 000 km (6,000 mi) or 1 year
Every 20 000 km (12,000mi) or 2 years

The posted Maintenance Schedule for the 2012 RT is 600 mile Break-In Inspection then the next regular Service Interval would be at 3,600 miles then 6,600 miles, so I'm not sure where your getting the 5,000 mile marker that your asking about
This is the old maintenance schedule that CyncySpyder is referring to in his post. It is page 116 of my original owners manual. While he is trying to be helpful, he took the numbers out of the original manual and not the revised maintenance schedule.

I purchased my 2012 Spyder last year in April. In June, BRP sent all Spyder owners a letter with a new maintenance schedule.

For those of you who failed to update their manual; never received it for some reason; got it but forgot it: etc. you can CLICK HERE (http://www.knarfoh.com/pdf_files/BRP_Can_Am_Spyder_Revised_Maintenance_Schedule_red acted.pdf) to remind yourself of its contents.

CyncySpyder shouldn't feel too bad. Even my local dealer was trying to sell me some service (valve adjustment) that is no longer recommended at a lower mileage then the manufacturer currently recommends. He actually didn't believe me and dug through all the BRP bulletins, only to find out I was right.

wetmountainman
10-16-2013, 03:46 PM
I think maybe he saw the 5000 Kilometer wording (= ~3000 mi) in the older manuals. My 2013 RT manual says 7500 Kilometers or 4600 miles, so 4000 miles between the 1st and second service.

Highwayman2013
10-16-2013, 03:52 PM
With the longer trans filter the interval changed to 4,600 miles.:)

strmgra
10-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the help, it is actually the 4600 mile I was referring to.

Knarfoh
10-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I think maybe he saw the 5000 Kilometer wording (= ~3000 mi) in the older manuals. My 2013 RT manual says 7500 Kilometers or 4600 miles, so 4000 miles between the 1st and second service.
No - he was referring to the old (OUTDATED) maintenance schedule. Break-in service at 600, next service at 3000 miles, next service at 6000 miles. It corresponds specifically to the 600, 3600 and 6600 miles he writes about as service points. The lead to his post is verbatim from the OLD MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE. He simply duplicated it here. Unfortunately, what he duplicated is not the MOST CURRENT information.

Did you read the notice I posted? It included self-adhesive stickers you were to affix to your manual directing readers to the new appendix they sent with the NEW maintenance information.

He was referencing OLD information when replying to the posted thread. Not a big deal unless it misleads someone. That is why I took the time to upload the ACTUAL maintenance schedule.

When he says "I'm not sure where your getting the 5,000 mile marker that your asking about" I believe him. It is because he is not referencing the correct maintenance schedule.

Thanks for the help, it is actually the 4600 mile I was referring to.

strmgra is referencing the right maintenance schedule.