PDA

View Full Version : purge valve

willey
10-15-2013, 10:26 PM
2013 RTS with 11,000 miles.Stoped by dealer today to talk to him about the gas smell.He took it into the shop,came out a few min.later and said purge valve was stuck open.Had to order one.will call when it comes in.Hope the corrects the problem.

Magdave
10-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Interesting did you notice any spots of gas on the floor?

billybovine
10-15-2013, 11:13 PM
2013 RTS with 11,000 miles.Stoped by dealer today to talk to him about the gas smell.He took it into the shop,came out a few min.later and said purge valve was stuck open.Had to order one.will call when it comes in.Hope the corrects the problem.

Sounds backwards to me. Purge valve stuck open should cause rough idle not gas smell. Now if it was stuck closed the canister will become saturated with vapors and cause the gas smell. In either case new purge valve time!

Magdave
10-15-2013, 11:18 PM
http://youtu.be/huC0pXtPcug

willey
10-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Dave.No drips on the floor.

Bob Denman
10-16-2013, 04:53 PM
http://youtu.be/huC0pXtPcug
Thanks for pulling that video out for us! :thumbup: :clap:

SpyderAnn01
10-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Sounds backwards to me. Purge valve stuck open should cause rough idle not gas smell. Now if it was stuck closed the canister will become saturated with vapors and cause the gas smell. In either case new purge valve time!

I don't remember if mine was stuck open or closed but when mine broke they told me it was pouring the fuel into the evap canister. Mine wouldn't idle at all. They did not replace the canister and we all know what happened next.

So Willey if it were me I would ask them to please replace the canister.

Chupaca
10-16-2013, 07:38 PM
it will. Of course they don't have any in stock and they do go bad...be safe and the video posted above gives a good explanation and cure if it happens again...chuck it..!!

NancysToy
10-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Depends on which port is stuck open. It is a matter of terminology.

AbNormy
10-16-2013, 09:13 PM
wonder if one pulled a vacuum on a saturated canister for an extended period if time it would dry it out? at least until a replacement can be had?

ThreeWheels
10-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Mine stuck open and the bike threw a code.
I forget which code it was, running too lean or something like that.

NancysToy
10-16-2013, 10:06 PM
wonder if one pulled a vacuum on a saturated canister for an extended period if time it would dry it out? at least until a replacement can be had?
It may dry it out, but vapors will still be more evident, since the activated carbon has become saturated...and thus spent.

billybovine
10-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Depends on which port is stuck open. It is a matter of terminology.

It's a simple open or closed valve. I don't see multiple ports. Am I missing something?

NancysToy
10-17-2013, 06:07 AM
It's a simple open or closed valve. I don't see multiple ports. Am I missing something?
Still a matter of terminology. I suspect he meant that it would not open, which left the atmospheric vent open continually. At any rate, it is between the owner and his tech. If he made a mistake, the problem will not be solved. If he is correct, the smell will lessen. We need to wait for the results.

willey
10-18-2013, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the information and explainations of how this system works.They just replaced the canester when they did the recall.Has any one ran lots of miles like 75k or 100k with the canister removed with out any negative problems.I don't think I want to remove the canister at this time but if it continues to be a problem then at that time I will have to rethink it.There might not be another time because we are considering a 14.The only reason we would trade is the 200+miles between fillups.We like this 13 a lot.Just have to wait and see what the dealer will do on a trade.I will keep you posted on the results.

Dragonfly
12-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Flashed a P1175 code and the reason I checked for a code was that the motor would not turn over after a short ride without a jump start, this has happened twice and now we are in the shop (second time for a P1175) to replace the "purge valve canister solenoid" and to find and fix an oil leak. It's warranty and cold outside so no ryding in the near future but the trailer has become very useful.