PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, my new STS refuses to start/idle.....

Benggolf
10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I am posting this not to flame BRP but to share an experience that may hopefully help someone that suffer the same fate.

Something happened the other weekend during a ride on our STS. After stopping for a snack, sudddenly it just wouldn't start (engine will not even crank)! Then I was able to start the engine by holding down on the kill switch, but the engine would immediately die the moment I release pressure off the switch!!! Note, a crowd started to gather around me looking and murmuring.

So eventually, I had to ride back home with my right thumb on the kill switch and the last 3 fingers on the throttle. :shocked:

I finally found a temporary fix to the issue with this simple "tool" ..... a toothpick! ;) Now I am still able to ride the STS while waiting for the repacement switch to arrive.

The issue has been reported to the dealership and tomorrow is my service appointment. :clap:

Jeriatric
10-15-2013, 08:58 PM
A case of "picking" the right tool for the job. Well done:thumbup:

SNOOPY
10-15-2013, 09:04 PM
That would suck.

Especially w/ th ecrowd gathering and not being able to start the bike. :banghead:

Benggolf
10-15-2013, 09:06 PM
That would suck.

Especially w/ the crowd gathering and not being able to start the bike. :banghead:

Yes, I bet they were either feeling sorry for me or critizing that I didn't know how to even start the damn thing! :roflblack:

SNOOPY
10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Darn temperamental Transformer!

Chupaca
10-15-2013, 11:28 PM
and glad you were able to locate the poroblem and get home. Now the fix is great and as long as you don't need to pick your teeth you can ryde..!! :roflblack:

Saluda
10-15-2013, 11:34 PM
They've had similar issues with kill switches on their sleds.

billybovine
10-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Macgyver would be proud. :D

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4728940540922000&w=105&h=142&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

SNOOPY
10-16-2013, 04:56 AM
Lol

retired1
10-16-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm glad you found a temporary solution to the problem. "Necessity IS the mother of invention".

bullant12
10-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I am posting this not to flame BRP but to share an experience that may hopefully help someone that suffer the same fate.

Something happened the other weekend during a ride on our STS. After stopping for a snack, sudddenly it just wouldn't start (engine will not even crank)! Then I was able to start the engine by holding down on the kill switch, but the engine would immediately die the moment I release pressure off the switch!!! Note, a crowd started to gather around me looking and murmuring.

So eventually, I had to ride back home with my right thumb on the kill switch and the last 3 fingers on the throttle. :shocked:

I finally found a temporary fix to the issue with this simple "tool" ..... a toothpick! ;) Now I am still able to ride the STS while waiting for the repacement switch to arrive.

The issue has been reported to the dealership and tomorrow is my service appointment. :clap:

I had the same issue on my RT-S 2013. Took it to the dealer, ran it on BUDS and a new engine kill switch was ordered. Under warranty, no charge and was only down for a day (part took 4 days to get there but dealer let me ride while the part was on the way. Said there was no need to have it dissaembled while waiting for the part if I could still ride it like you did).

ARtraveler
10-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Switches sometimes fail. I had to replace the cruise control switch on mine last summer.

Benggolf
10-19-2013, 03:06 AM
The dealer replaced the defective kill switch and scuffed console under warranty. Everything is now good! :thumbup:

Temperature never rose beyond 5 bars even in slow rush hour traffic; usually remains at 4 bars or lower when we are moving fast.

Waiting for our Bajaron Sway Bar and in the meantime added a Clear Lower Wind Deflector (BRP #219400462). ;)

SNOOPY
10-19-2013, 06:00 AM
:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-19-2013, 09:51 AM
The Kill switches seem to be gathering momentum as a source of "issues"... I wonder if anybody is keeping track of this trend?? :dontknow:

Benggolf
10-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Brought the STS back to the dealer last Thursday to have the defective kill switch and scuffed console replaced under warranty. Now everything is working well; am a happy camper and trying to
ride as much as I can before it gets too cold and wet. Am thankful, I have a great dealership who takes good care of their customers.

Kudos to everyone in the dealership. :thumbup:

SNOOPY
10-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Good to hear some good news about a dealer instead of all the bad, so far my dealer has been good to work w too. :thumbup:

spyderfever
10-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Thanks Benggolf for your post. This is actually the first time I've heard of problems with the kill switch. Great information to have & very intelligent way for a quick fix.

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Brought the STS back to the dealer last Thursday to have the defective kill switch and scuffed console under warranty. Now everything is working well; am a happy camper and trying to
ride as much as I can before it gets too cold and wet. Am thankful, I have a great dealership who takes good care of their customers.

Kudos to everyone in the dealership. :thumbup:

Glad to hear that you're, "Back on Three"! :2thumbs: