PDA

View Full Version : Storing the spyder for the winter

arris
10-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I only have one question about storing the spyder. I have my spyder insured thru geico and in todays mail I received a magazine from them. In it said about the clutch on sm5. They were talking about antique cars. The article said to make sure you block your clutch so the clutch plates are not touching each other. This is because maybe the clutch might stick to each other and ruin the clutch. Any input on this?

Silvervette05
10-15-2013, 05:29 PM
I have a 08 rs sm5 I don't do that if I put mine in storage.

ARtraveler
10-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Here is a good question for Scotty. :thumbup:

I did own a 2008 SM5 and did nothing about the clutch for winter storage. Just gas stabilizer and battery tender. Did not have any clutch issues the following season.

NancysToy
10-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Wet clutch plates can stick during storage, but it is not a common occurance, nor has it happened to any Spyders I know of. If you were storing for a few years, maybe, but not for a few months. I doubt it would be successful anyway, as the hydraulic clutch could bleed down over time. It is not meant to have continual pressure applied. This procedure is not typically done with antique motorcycles anyway, only cars. The old cable operated clutches were more likely to suffer cable failure if you did this. The thin clutch plates can also warp when left disengaged a long time, and other bad things can happen. Save this crap for your Model T.

rcturner
10-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Every wet clutch I have ever owned sticks. The problem is not serious or damaging. The way I free the plates up is to start the bike, let it idle until the oil has some temperature and then get on the bike and let it roll down the driveway in nuteral. When the speed reached one or two MPH I drop it in gear. If the clutch plates don't release at that time I drive it slowly for a short distance while engaging and disengaging the clutch. It always comes loose in just a few feet. No problem, no damage. As a side note, I also do the roll down the driveway every time I leave home with my SE5. It reduces the shock when putting the transmission in gear a great deal.

Saluda
10-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Never had it happen to me.

Chupaca
10-15-2013, 11:35 PM
would recomend you put her up for the winter with clean oil and filter. Weather it sticks or not also depends on where you store the roadster...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Ride it, and don't worry about the clutch plates :shocked:; it'll give you an ulcer if you do...