PDA

View Full Version : Something strange happening

MrLooney
10-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Something strange happening

While driving the other day I suddenly noticed my gauge panel was flashing “N” “R” and the gear number changed to “E”. When I changed gears it stopped. This happened several times in a row and over the next few days.
A little about my Roadster; 2011 RS~S SM5 8,900 miles, no other symptoms or problems
By The Way, how do you pull up any error codes on the screen?
Any ideas?

Bob Denman
10-15-2013, 10:48 AM
:shocked: It sounds as if your gear position sensor is acting up... see your dealer :shocked:
Good Luck! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 11:52 AM

While driving the other day I suddenly noticed my gauge panel was flashing “N” “R” and the gear number changed to “E”. When I changed gears it stopped. This happened several times in a row and over the next few days.
A little about my Roadster; 2011 RS~S SM5 8,900 miles, no other symptoms or problems
Any ideas?

i agree with bob see your dealer and for heavens sake enlarge your fonts please some of us are old

Chupaca
10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
you may have a loose or damaged connection. As Bob said it could also be the sensor. Have you had any work done recently like oil change or anything on the lower left side..?? The wiring runs down that area worth a look or run it by the dealer...good luck..!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-15-2013, 12:10 PM
i agree with bob see your dealer and for heavens sake enlarge your fonts please some of us are old

:agree::shocked: :opps:
Put my magnifying glass to work; figuring out what he had going on... :opps:

billybovine
10-15-2013, 12:11 PM
As Bob said could be Gear Position Sensor, loose, dirty, defective. It could also be a loose wire as Chupaca says. Taking 10 minutes to inspect it first before taking it to the dealer may be well worth the effort. By the way the sensor has 2 names. In the parts catalog it is also referred to as the Angle Rotation Sensor.

ARtraveler
10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
They have you covered. Bigger fonts would also be appreciated. I am already wearing magnifying glasses to read the screen and had to squint a bit to read the post. Thanks in advance. :thumbup::thumbup:

murphybrown
10-15-2013, 01:22 PM
I had the same thing happen during Oyster Run :yikes:...but not since. So my highly technical/mechanical brain said...WHATEVER and just kept ryding...OK OK after reading the more gifted mechanics replies I will ask my tech next time Ms Spyder visits, but until then I'm ryding...to much snow on the passes for my travels to dealer/tech...so Spring it will be...sun still shining on this side of the Mts...so it is ryde, ryde, ryde...:yes:

MrLooney
10-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Sorry Guys for the fine print. it got by me for some reason... I to am one of those old guys with CRS

I will check out the wire near the shifter and see what happens.

I was the only one working on my Roadster building a trailer hitch when this occurred, but cant see how that would effected the angle sensor rotator...(or what ever it is called). See my finished product below.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59432-New-Mod-2013-Oct-17

Bob Denman
10-18-2013, 06:49 AM
:shocked: much better... :2thumbs:
In all seriousness; (Can I SAY that?? :shocked:), I actaully am pretty much on the "low vision" side of things. The standard font and size seems to be workable, but some of the color combinations and smaller sizes get lost in the sauce for me... :opps:

Some Guy
10-18-2013, 08:07 AM
In all seriousness; (Can I SAY that?? :shocked:), I actaully am pretty much on the "low vision" side of things. The standard font and size seems to be workable, but some of the color combinations and smaller sizes get lost in the sauce for me... :opps:

:agree: I have problems reading things in any font!

But, like I always say, dyslexics are teople poo.

Barlock
10-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Any ideas?

Push 3 buttons simalteniously: Mode + Set + Turn Signal Cancel (Mid Point)

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Push 3 buttons simalteniously: Mode + Set + Turn Signal Cancel (Mid Point)

Could be wrong but I think this how you pull codes for the RT ......Dan has an RSS.........Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-18-2013, 08:40 AM
1. Put in the key and turn it on.
2. Press mode button until you see "hours" displayed.
3. Press and hold both buttons on both handle bars
4. Toggle the momentary bright light button five times rapidly (must be done within two seconds).

I think that this is the dance needed to pull GS/RS codes...
Maybe... :dontknow:

MrLooney
10-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Bob
I understand what your talking about here. I have transitional Bi Focals. However I find I am taking off my classes more often than not to see read and do things that require my face to be in the mix of things.

So I always try to change my font size to 3 or larger and color to Blue or another darker shade colors like purple or red. I shy away form the lighter shades of Yellow, pink, (sorry Pingflamingo) orange, green, tan and gray.......

MrLooney
10-20-2013, 05:59 PM
1. Put in the key and turn it on.
2. Press mode button until you see TOTAL "hours" displayed.
3. Press and hold both buttons on both handle bars. The buttons on the front side of the handle bars
4. Toggle the momentary bright light button five times rapidly (must be done within two seconds).

I think that this is the dance needed to pull GS/RS codes...
Maybe... :dontknow:

BOB ~ TANKS

Yes this is correct Waltz for GS?RS?RS~S

MrLooney
10-20-2013, 06:10 PM

Any ideas?

I have the panels off the left side of my RS~S Roadster now trying to find this Angle Rotation Sensor. I found where a wire connects to the side of the block with another cable that connects to the Reverse lever. Not the correct one..
Any one know where the A.R.S. wire is?

TuckMiddle
10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
My 2011 RTSM5 had this several times
Tech cleaned the gear indicator sending thingy on the lower left of the trans, but it came on several times and finally went to full orange and the $70 thing was replaced under warranty at 34000 or so miles. Part looked like it should be metal, not plastic, pretty hot area it sits in
Tuck