PDA

View Full Version : 13 vs 14

Gordo
10-14-2013, 04:46 AM
Hi I'm new to Spyders and the forum. First off I would like to say what a great forum this is. I have spent many hours on here trying to learn about the Spyder. I would like to thank all for the informative posts. After much reading and deliberation I have decided on a 14 Spyder RT Ltd. I will be making the trip to my dealer this week and putting down a deposit. We have pretty much settled on a price. I have a few questions regarding options on the 14 and I was wondering if someone has done this. I'm thinking of ordering the heated comfort seat when I place my order on the bike. Was a heated comfort seat available on the 13 model year. The info I'm finding seems to say the 13 had a non heated comfort seat as a option. I'm trying to find out how much of a dollar upgrade on a new factory order this would be. I know the dealer will have that info but I always like being one step ahead. I'm also thinking about ordering the tri-axis handle bar. For those of you that have it, is this a worth while upgrade? I'm hoping to save some money ordering it that way as opposed to buying it later as a add on. Thanks for any reply.

cuznjohn
10-14-2013, 05:12 AM
the 13 didn't have a heated seat option but it does have heated grips and heated rear hand rail grips. the price of the tri axial bars is kind of high, try sitting on a 13 and see how you feel. the bars are put on at the dealer so if you change your mind you can always do them later.

fastfraser
10-14-2013, 05:50 AM
You have to order the heated seat as an option so you will have an extra seat at the end of the day . This is a sore point for me ,you should be able to order the heated seat from the factory an then it comes with your Spyder and you don't end up with an extra seat you have no use for and you only pay the difference for the up grade !That being said since you have to order it as an option I would shop around for a different heated seat say a Corbin heated seat with a gas door for the same price .:dontknow:

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 07:56 AM
But... If you order the accessories with the purchase; you might be able to get some of the labor thrown in for installation as part of the deal... :thumbup:

Gordo
10-14-2013, 11:11 AM
That's what I was unsure of. Having 2 seats really does not make much sense nor is it very cost effective. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll have to rethink this one.

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 01:12 PM
There is always the option of selling the original seat... :thumbup:

Chupaca
10-14-2013, 01:23 PM
imo..accessories that have to do with comfort and handling are best ordered after you have rydden for a spell. Sound systems, lighting, chrome etc no problem. Being a new model with many changes will make it's comfort and handling different...congrats on your choice and hope the wait is short and painless...!! :thumbup:

3 Wheel Addict
10-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Not really, there is tons of stock seats on ebay and craigslist. Some for as little as 100 bucks. I'd keep my stock seat and put it back on when the bike is sold or traded and sell the custom. Odds are better that way...

ARtraveler
10-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Both options you are thinking about are good ones--allbeit on the pricey side. This is the first year for heated seats on the RT's. I have the comfort seat on one of my RT's and like it very much compared to the OEM seat.

Not sure how the tri-axis handlebars will work for your particular fit. I am 5'5" and the standard set up works just fine for me. I previously owned an RS and that needed 3" risers to make my seating position comfortable.

I have two stock seats sitting around here because I note that they go for very cheap--so it is my intent to put them back on and sell the aftermarket seats when the time comes.

Bob had a good suggestion when it comes to maybe saving some money on the installation. The tri-axis are another thing IMO. I recommend putting a thousand miles or two on the :spyder2: before spending to much on comfort options. They either work or they don't, depending on you.

Bob Ledford
10-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Factory installed option for the heated seat would be a fantastic option to have available!!

How many times have witnessed some one wanting to buy an OEM seat?

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 08:53 PM
BRP probably took a look at the market, and hoe their bikes were being ridden. While there are hardcore road warriors out there; my guess is that there are far more fair weather riders. It's available; you're just going to have to need it enough... :shocked: