PDA

View Full Version : 2013 rt problem tread

cuznjohn
10-14-2013, 01:40 AM
since some of us are upsetting others with our complaints i figured i would start this tread so just the people with problems with their bikes can post the problem or fixes for the problem. also list dealers that have helped or what BRP has or has not done for you.
i will start it with my bike goes in tuesday for a complete work up that brp requested and i will only use this post for anything i hear or what they might of found with the bike. so lets give this a try so others will not be bothered.

mindman
10-14-2013, 07:13 AM
John,
Have to say I admire your reaction to the feedback you've received. Personally, I don't mind reading about the problems. I find the posts informative and helpful in that it shares information with others who have the problem and could help them in their pursuit of a solution. I also understand the need to vent frustration over the way things are (or aren't) progressing. As a non-2013 owner I also understand folks who are a little frustrated themselves at seeing all kinds of posts peppered with 2013 gripes. Setting up this thread is a very constructive way to deal with the situation and it shows empathy towards those that don't want to have to read about the issues.

My hat's off to you

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Good Luck! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
10-14-2013, 08:17 AM
all are welcome here to help others i just don't want any negative posts for the people that are frustrated with their bikes and have to take criticism about talking about it. just trying to keep friend, friends

jcthorne
10-14-2013, 08:20 AM
all are welcome here to help others i just don't want any negative posts for the people that are frustrated with their bikes and have to take criticism about talking about it. just trying to keep friend, friends I look forward to hearing any diagnosis that they come up with on your bike. I intend to keep my 2013 and work through the problems. Yes, some will be at my expense. I still like the bike though and I doubt it will cost $10k to fix the deficiencies.

BajaRon
10-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Awesome! A positive approach with real solutions in mind! I like it! :thumbup: This is what Spyderlovers is all about. Well, maybe not 'ALL' but at least some....

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/5/1/0/4/7/ar123086408474015.jpg

Cruzr Joe
10-14-2013, 09:01 AM
in keeping with the theme of this thread,

2013 RT Basic,

Problem # 1

Master Cylinder and Canister melting problem

Solution # 1

Took it to the dealer, waited approx 3 hours while dealer replaced (yes it was partialy melted), the Master Cylinder and put the heat shields on.

Appears to have fixed problem.

Cost: None, absorbed by BRP

Problem # 2

Hot Foot on Right Side from openings

Solution # 2

Took Spyder to Spyderpops and we cut some extra air vents into the lower frame and added a (Spyderpops) Upper Block off plate, and NBV Highway Pegs

Appears to have fixed the hot foot problem

Cost: About $300.00 after the purchase of the Highway Pegs and the Block Off Plate

Problem # 3

faulty? sway bar links

Solution:

Instead of taking to dealer to replace, i opted to purchase the metal links from Baja Ron and let Spyderpops install them.

Staus;

Problem Fixed

Cost less than $100.00, cost was my option, I could have let dealer replace them for free.

This is the only problems that i have encountered with my 2013 other than my desires for more lights and heavier sway bar and back rest, Bump Skid and other modifications, some for extra safety, some for a different look, some for extra comfort.

Other Notes:

9,000 Miles in less than 6 months and i have really enjoyed this ride.

Never experienced the heat from other sources as has been reported by other owners, was lucky enough to have the Master Cylinder fix done before any major failure occured.

Cruzr Joe

JKMSPYDER
10-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I have a 2013 ST-S with currently 6900 miles.
Problem 1: Excessive heat on left leg.
Solution: About $60 worth of heat shielding on left exhaust and left panels.

Problem 2: Melted MC cap.
Solution: Dealer recall at no cost.

I have had no boiling gas or hot gas cap issues and engine is not running lean. I have been well satisfied with my Spyder.

RBS66
10-14-2013, 09:24 AM
John
I also have some issues with my 2013 RT purchased on August 23. When I first received the bike the highbeam would not stay on my air ride suspension had a leak and then 10 days later I got a recall letter. I was also experiencing gas fumes when parked in my garage and excessive heat coming from my glovebox area. To the point where the foam is separating from the liner inside the glove box. The backbone of the bike under the seat after a one hour ride is extremely hot to the touch. I am also having some handling issues side side sway and the bike seems to be hunting and riding rough even at 5000 RPMs. Not a comfortable ride like others have stated on spyderlovers.
So I took it into my dealer at my 600 mile service, They replaced the left-hand module for the highbeam, Did the recall, And thought they fixed the air ride suspension. They did not smell the gas fumes and also said that these bikes run hot and that is normal. Well the air ride suspension needed to be replaced and they had my bike for six days, Now that is corrected. While at the dealer they smell the gas fumes and replaced my evaporation canister, Still have some fumes but not as bad as before. At that point I also asked him to take my bike for a test ride to see how they thought it handled since I've never ridden any other but the one I test drove at the dealership. When I got there on Saturday to pick up my bike service manager said he didn't have a chance to test ride he just pulled it around from the back so I could test ride it myself and see what I thought. I left the dealer and lost faith in them for not test riding my bike when I told them I was having handling issues. I also have gas spots from drippings on my driveway (i'm just going to ignore that).
Now now I have an appointment at Blackmans in Emmaus PA. This Friday. To have a laser alignment and a Bajala Ron swaybar installed(my dealer does not have a laser alignment system). RIGHT NOW I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING THROUGH A TRIAL AND ERROR Period. Which I feel I shouldn't have to be doing after spending a large amount of money on a brand-new bike. I've had other issues with other brand-new vehicles that I've owned but the dealer always seem to be able to correct those issues. THIS SEEMS LIKE A CRAPSHOOT AND A LOT OF GUESSING.
IT IS VERY SAD that people here are annoyed by people talking about their issues especially on a site that is dedicated to just SPYDERS. I feel that people should be able to take the good with the bad.
I know this is a long post but this is the truth and this is what is happening in my situation I can't speak for all other situations but this is mine if I can't talk about it on this site then maybe I will just stop coming here.

THANK YOU ROB

Magdave
10-14-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't like the tread on my tire either :yikes::yikes::roflblack:

taxmyzer
10-14-2013, 09:41 AM
I look forward to hearing any diagnosis that they come up with on your bike. I intend to keep my 2013 and work through the problems. Yes, some will be at my expense. I still like the bike though and I doubt it will cost $10k to fix the deficiencies.
I agree with you. I think it would be cheaper to have someone come up with a way to re-route the exhaust. This would certainly help with the heat issues. Yes It's a tight space but this exactly the reason why the exhaust should never have been routed this way.

Magdave
10-14-2013, 09:47 AM
I agree with you. I think it would be cheaper to have someone come up with a way to re-route the exhaust. This would certainly help with the heat issues. Yes It's a tight space but this exactly the reason why the exhaust should never have been routed this way.

I have seen a pic of the exhaust with Jet Hot ceramic coating that is probably the best way to fixed the exhaust heat related problems. All we got was some tinfoil:yikes:

cuznjohn
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
this is also my first spyder, i rode 2 wheels for many years and i had good and bad bikes. i traded or sold the bad ones and bought new ones, however with this bike it started out that the bike was all over the road and would nose dive on me. every now and than i would smell gas and still do, when i told my dealer he said the gas caps on other bikes were bad and replaced but not on mine. than i find out that there was a ball joint recall and bad shocks on some bikes, but i had already bought a set of elkas so they just needed to replace the ball joints, i also told them about the heat and the cruise control not working and the brake lights staying on. they said there was nothing wrong with the cruise and it worked fine on the test ride they took and that brake lights were common and no fix for it.
so my question is why would brp continue to sell the bikes if they knew all the problems existed, and when a bike with problems was sold, and they know by the vin numbers, why not have the dealer fix the bike b4 delivery to the customer. now they also knew there was a problem going on in canada with the heat issue. but they never said anything to the states about it until the transportation authority got involved and than they did the recall. so the bike goes in tuesday for a work up that brp requested because of the heat temps i sent them with pictures of the temp gun pointing at the areas with the temp displayed, and they admit it is to hot. so i am at a point where i will keep the bike after spending money on other parts i bought to try and relieve the heat on my foot but who knows how long i will keep it for,

BajaRon
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM
I don't like the tread on my tire either :yikes::yikes::roflblack:

Rev it up and dump the clutch every chance you get. The tread will go away and you'll be happy!

taxmyzer
10-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Would be nice if BRP would provide the pipes already coated under warranty. I think this would most certainly be cheaper than having someone get injured. Step up to the plate BRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Magdave
10-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Rev it up and dump the clutch every chance you get. The tread will go away and you'll be happy! But I got a SE5 :opps:

SpyderAnn01
10-14-2013, 11:17 AM
John
I also have some issues with my 2013 RT purchased on August 23. When I first received the bike the highbeam would not stay on my air ride suspension had a leak and then 10 days later I got a recall letter. I was also experiencing gas fumes when parked in my garage and excessive heat coming from my glovebox area. To the point where the foam is separating from the liner inside the glove box. The backbone of the bike under the seat after a one hour ride is extremely hot to the touch. I am also having some handling issues side side sway and the bike seems to be hunting and riding rough even at 5000 RPMs. Not a comfortable ride like others have stated on spyderlovers.
So I took it into my dealer at my 600 mile service, They replaced the left-hand module for the highbeam, Did the recall, And thought they fixed the air ride suspension. They did not smell the gas fumes and also said that these bikes run hot and that is normal. Well the air ride suspension needed to be replaced and they had my bike for six days, Now that is corrected. While at the dealer they smell the gas fumes and replaced my evaporation canister, Still have some fumes but not as bad as before. At that point I also asked him to take my bike for a test ride to see how they thought it handled since I've never ridden any other but the one I test drove at the dealership. When I got there on Saturday to pick up my bike service manager said he didn't have a chance to test ride he just pulled it around from the back so I could test ride it myself and see what I thought. I left the dealer and lost faith in them for not test riding my bike when I told them I was having handling issues. I also have gas spots from drippings on my driveway (i'm just going to ignore that).
Now now I have an appointment at Blackmans in Emmaus PA. This Friday. To have a laser alignment and a Bajala Ron swaybar installed(my dealer does not have a laser alignment system). RIGHT NOW I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING THROUGH A TRIAL AND ERROR Period. Which I feel I shouldn't have to be doing after spending a large amount of money on a brand-new bike. I've had other issues with other brand-new vehicles that I've owned but the dealer always seem to be able to correct those issues. THIS SEEMS LIKE A CRAPSHOOT AND A LOT OF GUESSING.
IT IS VERY SAD that people here are annoyed by people talking about their issues especially on a site that is dedicated to just SPYDERS. I feel that people should be able to take the good with the bad.
I know this is a long post but this is the truth and this is what is happening in my situation I can't speak for all other situations but this is mine if I can't talk about it on this site then maybe I will just stop coming here.

THANK YOU ROB

I was a test pilot for Baja Ron's sway bar for the 2013 so I had it installed shortly after I purchased the Spyder. I was experiencing the wandering that you have and overall the handling was awful even with Ron's bar on it. I took it to my dealer and said ride it as far as you need to and you will see something is not right with it. I picked it up and the service writer told me that both the technician and the owner had ridden it and they both said that my Spyder handled better than their demo. :banghead: I didn't give up as I knew it should handle better and I got BRP to authorize new shocks and this took care of the problem. When I picked up the Spyder and asked the owner if the service tech noticed an improvement he said that when the tech came back from the ride the first thing he said was to order new shocks for their demo.

Don't give up and don't stop coming here. If we all had 2012 RTs this would be a different spyderlovers.com but the fact is that we don't and some of us have problems and we need to be able to share them to find ways to fix them.

RBS66
10-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I was a test pilot for Baja Ron's sway bar for the 2013 so I had it installed shortly after I purchased the Spyder. I was experiencing the wandering that you have and overall the handling was awful even with Ron's bar on it. I took it to my dealer and said ride it as far as you need to and you will see something is not right with it. I picked it up and the service writer told me that both the technician and the owner had ridden it and they both said that my Spyder handled better than their demo. :banghead: I didn't give up as I knew it should handle better and I got BRP to authorize new shocks and this took care of the problem. When I picked up the Spyder and asked the owner if the service tech noticed an improvement he said that when the tech came back from the ride the first thing he said was to order new shocks for their demo.

Don't give up and don't stop coming here. If we all had 2012 RTs this would be a different spyderlovers.com but the fact is that we don't and some of us have problems and we need to be able to share them to find ways to fix them.

Thank you for your reply, that will be my next step after the laser alignment and the Baja Ron swaybar if that doesn't correct my problem. I will probably go with Elka's aftermarket shocks.

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 12:47 PM
...diging what I'm seeing so far! :2thumbs:
Dave,
You did a lot with your bike, and insulating the fuel tank... how about some pics of that?? :thumbup:

BajaRon
10-14-2013, 12:56 PM
But I got a SE5 :opps:

Oh... In that case, bad advise! Sorry about that! :rolleyes:

Magdave
10-14-2013, 01:03 PM
...diging what I'm seeing so far! :2thumbs:
Dave,
You did a lot with your bike, and insulating the fuel tank... how about some pics of that?? :thumbup:

Ask and ye shall receive

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77244&d=1381170561 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77243)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77243&d=1381170547 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77242)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77242&d=1381170532 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77241)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77241&d=1381170518 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77240)

Only place left to do is over the Cat I been a little lazy and need to get another roll of DEI insulating tape to finish but it will be easy to do just back it up on my ramp and get busy. It is easy to get to.

Magdave
10-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh... In that case, bad advise! Sorry about that! :rolleyes:
I have thought about revving it and pushing the button but I fear what may happened :yikes:

cuznjohn
10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
i really like the fact that this is working out where people can talk w/o arguing, that being said i am leery about wrapping the tank. there has to be a really good reason they never did it.but i do hope now that we have a tread with just complaints, that brp will read them and maybe answer some questions to the problems

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Dave,
Thanks for those pics! :2thumbs:
That has GOT to help with the perceived heat issues plaguing the 13s! :thumbup:
And as far as having an ESSIE...
Three words:
Bleach Pit; Baby!! :2thumbs::D

Magdave
10-14-2013, 01:58 PM
i really like the fact that this is working out where people can talk w/o arguing, that being said i am leery about wrapping the tank. there has to be a really good reason they never did it.but i do hope now that we have a tread with just complaints, that brp will read them and maybe answer some questions to the problems
Of course there is it is $$$$ it is costing me $60 for the tape and 1hr labor. It is 1mil DEI 1500 degree tape and all it does it keep the tank from being a heat sink. I'm sure BRP did not intend it to be. It does nothing to prevent airflow except around the cap and latch area so no hot seat front. Cap has never been over 110deg and was 132deg before latch area I sealed the big hole I do no believe it has intended to be a vent as the seat blocks it. It was 150deg before 100 now. I am still waiting for FB to chime in if BRP paid for her tank they did not for me and I was not waiting after she posted her dealer and BRP approved it.

spyder3
10-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Ok, since i'm easily confused, this thread is about spyders, not toasters right?:D

Magdave
10-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Ok, since i'm easily confused, this thread is about spyders, not toasters right?:D
Depends whether it is a 2013 it could be a toaster :yikes:

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 02:13 PM
In deference to the seriousness of the heat issue; I haven't posted this one...
until now! :roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMQ2s_5Mwg
Caveat: no mean-spiritedness or malice is meant by this...
Just some light-hearted humor; for those who can see it.

Magdave
10-14-2013, 02:15 PM
:roflblack::roflblack: Even the words fit the situation it's OK until someone gets hurt then it would be bad taste :thumbup:

OWISE1
10-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Purchased my 2013 RT-S SE5 in June. Right away the HEAT Issues and handling/wandering started. Total 2100 miles to date.

Problem #1: extreme HEAT, right foot, front of seat, glove box, right side panels
Fix: Dealer and BRP say that is "normal" nojoke....tech shrugs his shoulders, I believe in disagreement,....after all he needs a job.:dontknow:

Problem #2: Spyder wanders all over the road.....

Fix: dealer said I had to get use to riding differently, I have been riding 2/3 wheels for 35+ yrs, it's NOT me....NO FIX YET...did do an alignment nothing wrong, Not Laser though. I did a BajaRon Sway Bar which seems to help, but still has a tendency to wander.

Problem #3: extremely HOT gas cap, must wear gloves to remove and Boiling gas in tank and strong smell of gas after long rides.

Fix: Nothing from dealer or BRP

Problem #4: In late Aug after Canadian Recall, I check Master Cylinder.... Melted :yikes:

Fix: Dealer replaced MC & fluid per Recall. Tech aslo found a melted wiring harness melted to bare wires near MC. Tech ctd BRP who told him to splice in new wire to repair harness, "Not to replace the Harness". There still is the HEAT issues on right foot, front of seat, glove box and side panels.

Filed a NTHSA Complaint on Heat issues, then came the USA Recall.

Problem #5: BRP's lack of concern for my issues, not finding a solution. Dealer has done all they can do at this point without BRP coming up with a fix.

Fix: Building CASE for a Lemon Law Complaint in WA ST. Started gathering records and letter sent to BRP asking them to "rebuy" my Spyder.

BRP did respond 3 days ago, asking my tech for all the records and BUDS reports. Said they would get back to me in two weeks.

So the Spyder sits in the garage as it is not comfortable or fun to ride. :mad:

cuznjohn
10-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Purchased my 2013 RT-S SE5 in June. Right away the HEAT Issues and handling/wandering started. Total 2100 miles to date.

Problem #1: extreme HEAT, right foot, front of seat, glove box, right side panels
Fix: Dealer and BRP say that is "normal" nojoke....tech shrugs his shoulders, I believe in disagreement,....after all he needs a job.:dontknow:

Problem #2: Spyder wanders all over the road.....

Fix: dealer said I had to get use to riding differently, I have been riding 2/3 wheels for 35+ yrs, it's NOT me....NO FIX YET...did do an alignment nothing wrong, Not Laser though. I did a BajaRon Sway Bar which seems to help, but still has a tendency to wander.

Problem #3: extremely HOT gas cap, must wear gloves to remove and Boiling gas in tank and strong smell of gas after long rides.

Fix: Nothing from dealer or BRP

Problem #4: In late Aug after Canadian Recall, I check Master Cylinder.... Melted :yikes:

Fix: Dealer replaced MC & fluid per Recall. Tech aslo found a melted wiring harness melted to bare wires near MC. Tech ctd BRP who told him to splice in new wire to repair harness, "Not to replace the Harness". There still is the HEAT issues on right foot, front of seat, glove box and side panels.

Filed a NTHSA Complaint on Heat issues, then came the USA Recall.

Problem #5: BRP's lack of concern for my issues, not finding a solution. Dealer has done all they can do at this point without BRP coming up with a fix.

Fix: Building CASE for a Lemon Law Complaint in WA ST. Started gathering records and letter sent to BRP asking them to "rebuy" my Spyder.

BRP did respond 3 days ago, asking my tech for all the records and BUDS reports. Said they would get back to me in two weeks.

So the Spyder sits in the garage as it is not comfortable or fun to ride. :mad:

i was writing to steve m from brp through e mails, once i said i would sue if i got a burn he no longer want to talk in e mails only on the phone, so no written records. he called my dealer first than he called me and said that he ordered a battery of tests to be done on my bike. i went and bought a cheap heat detector and took a ride, when i came to a stop in 66 degree weather i took readings at all the hot points and took pictures of each reading as i took them. i sent the pictures to him and he said it is way too hot. so we just have to keep it up until they fix it, but between you and me i don't see a fix it is a design flaw on their part. when people say they don't have a heat problem i just don't understand how. so the bike goes in tomorrow morning and we will see what happens.

RBS66
10-14-2013, 02:59 PM
i was writing to steve m from brp through e mails, once i said i would sue if i got a burn he no longer want to talk in e mails only on the phone, so no written records. he called my dealer first than he called me and said that he ordered a battery of tests to be done on my bike. i went and bought a cheap heat detector and took a ride, when i came to a stop in 66 degree weather i took readings at all the hot points and took pictures of each reading as i took them. i sent the pictures to him and he said it is way too hot. so we just have to keep it up until they fix it, but between you and me i don't see a fix it is a design flaw on their part. when people say they don't have a heat problem i just don't understand how. so the bike goes in tomorrow morning and we will see what happens.

Hope it all works out for you and your bike comes back perfect!!!!

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 04:20 PM
:agree::2thumbs:
Tomorrow, is when he starts to find out...

cuznjohn
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/575703_562521443852179_1707779805_n.jpg

RBS66
10-14-2013, 04:51 PM
The great thing about this forum, whether it be good information or bad information, IT 's THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO GET INFORMATION. I want to read all the posts good or bad I think we learn that way. These are road worthy machines that you drive at highway speeds with your loved one on the back. Where I live there are no other spiders around I cannot just walk over to my neighbors house and ask them hey is yours like this. It's not a Ford or Chevy pick up. So thank you everybody for your help good or bad.

ARtraveler
10-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Looks like so far, so good with this thread and the intent behind it. :thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-14-2013, 05:12 PM
PM being sent... :clap::firstplace::2thumbs:

3 Wheel Addict
10-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Well I guess it's my turn... 2013 RTS purchased September 10th, delivery delayed for 5 days because of recall (my first clue). My first list of issues was the hot gas cap and boiling fuel, bike wanders all over the road, excessive fuel smell. Dealer looked at bike and said that the hot gas cap is "normal" for Spyders. Told me to "crank up" the rear suspension to stop the wandering (only made it worse) They did fix the fuel smell even though they said they couldn't find anything?? My next batch of problems are... shift switch stuck twice and popped loose (still works) Parking brake stuck on and a small oil leak at the pressure switch and of course the excessive heat on the tank and gas cap! Dealer looked at bike and could not find anything with the shift switch (figures) No oil leaking? Parking brake works every time (figures) but still no answer with the heat issue and the dealer logged a temp on the gas cap of 153 degrees and I have that on a work order! Now my current problem is the EBD warning, ABS warning, Limp home mode and a series of warning lights? No codes?? Glitch? Oh and the excessive heat! I did my first long ride with friend this weekend and had to put a towel on the seat area to keep from roasting my nuts! It was nice this weekend but only about 80 out, whats it going to be like when its 95 out! My current situation with BRP is nill! I have a case number but no returned calls in 2 weeks. Dealer keeps telling me "that's the way they are" tried to trade back in and order a 14 but dealer don't want it back. I'm not going to spend a dime rebuilding their design, they will have to make these right for people. I currently have an expensive toy that my wife will not even get on! I suppose that it's no coincidence that my bike and lemons are yellow....First major purchase in my life that i'm totally unhappy with!

BajaRon
10-14-2013, 06:44 PM

I know I've said this before but I haven't seen anything that would persuade me otherwise, just the opposite.

Not taking BRP's side here, just trying to look at the facts objectively. And admittedly, there are some design flaws that I'm not trying to overlook (i.e. the MC taking way too much heat - Ray Charles could have seen that one coming).

But if the overall heating issue were a design flaw, then everyone would be suffering the same. But the fact is there are at least some, if not most, who are not having this much trouble. Design flaws are much more consistent than this.

And I know I've said this before as well, but it seems to me that much of this excessive heat on the problem 2013's might be traced back to a very lean fuel mix. That will really heat things up in a hurry.

So you could have everything exactly the same from front to back, run one engine rich, run another just right, and the 3rd one very lean, and the 1st 2 would run much cooler than the 3rd. We are talking a potential of a few hundred degrees difference in the exhaust gas temperatures. (Sounds like a story I read once about some girl and a few bears - but I digress...).

Anyway, speculation is great fun but we are all looking forward to what your diagnosis comes up with.

I, for one, am not complaining about the complaining, as long as the idea is a reasoned approach to a permanent solution. That's something we can all get behind.

Ronbo
10-14-2013, 06:52 PM
I look forward to hearing any diagnosis that they come up with on your bike. I intend to keep my 2013 and work through the problems. Yes, some will be at my expense. I still like the bike though and I doubt it will cost $10k to fix the deficiencies.

Had 3000 miles on my lava brown 2013 rt limited.
No Problems!!! I just had to have that new bad boy 3 cylinder!! I'M EXCITED!

Bob Ledford
10-14-2013, 07:06 PM
I have seen a pic of the exhaust with Jet Hot ceramic coating that is probably the best way to fixed the exhaust heat related problems. All we got was some tinfoil:yikes:

Magdave

While I did not need to really do it I did it anyway on my dime (I only wish it was a dime job) I took my 2011 in and the tech pulled the pipes off and wrapped them in one inch wide exhaust header heat cloth tape. Not only did it knock off some of the it took all of the exhaust pinging noise away. Almost as quiet now as a Gold Wing or a BMW and a joy to ride.

The "13's" have sure been a PIA for everyone involved. Not a good year for anyone, buyer, seller, or manufacturer.

ecuaron
10-14-2013, 07:08 PM
OK no complaining just a list of issues on a 2013 RT Limited purchased August 2013

1. After the first day of riding approximately 100 miles. Developed oil leak. Oil leak was from the shifter rod seals. Apparently put on backward at the factory.
Fix was to to R & R the seals. Days in the shop 3. No cost to owner Warranty According to dealer approximately $1500 bill to BRP

2. Two weeks after purchase recalled for heat issue. Parts ordered. Warranty 1 day in shop.

3. 5 weeks in to Spyder decided I wanted to have a third key. Tech says no problem will do at the 600 mile service (actually 900 Miles). Ordered Key about $70 (way too much) had key cut
Took spyder in to service. Oil and inspection done in couple of hours. Tech says ok 5 minutes to program key. 2 hours later nothing nada. All keys deprogrammed!!!! 3 hours later calls to BRP
Yup common problem in 2013 bad control module. BRP will ship overnight. Luckily tech was able to program 1 key. BRP shiped control module 3 days later. Back in shop 2 hours now have 3 keys.
So you wont know if the control module is bad unless you decide to get a spare key.

4. 2 months of driving 2,300 miles runs great. Minor heat issue. Tolerable. Wish I got better fuel mileage.

5. Working deal with dealer on 2014 RT Limited. Not too promising. Not too worry. Gonna drive the wheels off of it.

Ernie

OWISE1
10-14-2013, 07:24 PM

I didn't tell Steve any more than the problems I have been having. I did email my tech and asked if he could get me all the reports on my Spyder and he agreed to do that. I have 30 months in WA ST to file a Lemon Law Complaint if BRP doesn't come up with a fix and soon. I am waiting for a return call from BRP, so they have a week before I start calling again.
All I want is a fix or BRP to buy it back......then go on from there.:dontknow:

Magdave
10-15-2013, 12:37 AM
I didn't tell Steve any more than the problems I have been having. I did email my tech and asked if he could get me all the reports on my Spyder and he agreed to do that. I have 30 months in WA ST to file a Lemon Law Complaint if BRP doesn't come up with a fix and soon. I am waiting for a return call from BRP, so they have a week before I start calling again.

One thing I want is a techline when calling BRP I called and wanted to know what the correct tension for the 2013 belt was and was told they did not know I had to go to the dealer and ask them. Problem is 2 different dealers gave me 3 different (480n,800n& the correct according to the service manual 1050n) but they will not answer a simple tech question like that.:banghead:

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 05:32 AM
dave when you go to a car dealer most service writers were once mechanics but when you call brp most of them are people that look things up on a computer for a answer, so i would think dealers would be the best bet for tech questions or contact lamont, he is busy but he does get back to you and he went to the tech school for brp

mindman
10-15-2013, 06:08 AM

I really like the idea of using State Lemon Laws as a final recourse for these problems. After reading the posts on the 2013 issues, it's apparent that most of the people with problems are working very hard to give BRP every opportunity to fix them. At some point though, one has to admit defeat and work towards hitting the "reset" button by invoking the Lemon Law. Perhaps if BRP had to buy back a bunch of these their sense of urgency regarding fixes would "improve".

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 06:38 AM
I really like the idea of using State Lemon Laws as a final recourse for these problems. After reading the posts on the 2013 issues, it's apparent that most of the people with problems are working very hard to give BRP every opportunity to fix them. At some point though, one has to admit defeat and work towards hitting the "reset" button by invoking the Lemon Law. Perhaps if BRP had to buy back a bunch of these their sense of urgency regarding fixes would "improve".

i really think brp wants to fix the problem, but the main problem is there is no fix for it. why would one bike run good and another be bad. granted there are extremes where some bikes burnt but not all are catching fire. i really don't think they want the bad press. my bike is going in today for a complete work up that brp requested, so time will tell what they come up with. i have foot problems so my feet are very sensitive to the heat where as someone else might not feel the heat as much. the lemon law is the way to go because not only do you get the full price back but you also get the taxes but it is a long involved thing. i know because i went trough it twice, one with a 88 ford bronco with bad rear main seals and the other with a 90 jeep grand wagoneer with really bad water leaks. so it is not easy to do. i am trying everything to try and make my bike right but if i could trade it in i would. i told one dealer i would take 18,500 for mine a 10k loss and they don't want it. at first i loved the bike, now i just like it and i really don't ride it as much as i should due to the heat. so i just hope they can fix it this week.

Bob Denman
10-15-2013, 06:51 AM
JOhn,
YOur bike goes "under the knife" starting today :shocked:; let's see what happens with it next... :thumbup:
Good luck!! :2thumbs:

jcthorne
10-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Had 3000 miles on my lava brown 2013 rt limited.
No Problems!!! I just had to have that new bad boy 3 cylinder!! I'M EXCITED!

Nothing wrong with wanting the improved performance. For me the RT is a cruiser and a fun ride. For performance I have my GT that most sport bikes cannot touch. I plan to work through the problems, I for one think they are solvable with or without BRP.

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 07:37 AM
depending on what they find with my bike today when it goes in, i might just give them the bike on consignment to sell for me being they don't want it on a trade in. i have been giving this a lot of thought and i am really not happy. i would never sell the bike to someone because i don't want any complaints if something goes wrong, so it might be better off to let a dealer handle it.

SteveMac
10-15-2013, 08:21 AM
depending on what they find with my bike today when it goes in, i might just give them the bike on consignment to sell for me being they don't want it on a trade in. i have been giving this a lot of thought and i am really not happy. i would never sell the bike to someone because i don't want any complaints if something goes wrong, so it might be better off to let a dealer handle it.

It is pretty obvious that this really has weighed heavily on you. Best of luck in whatever the next few days bring. :doorag:

spyder3
10-15-2013, 08:30 AM
john, wait until the 2014's hit the showroom floor, and visit another dealer. My concern would be, if your feet are that sensitive to the heat, maybe the spyder is not the way to go unless the 2014 RT gives off no heat. We wont know that until a bunch of people log some miles on them. I feel your pain on what to do....its just sucks.

spydaman60
10-15-2013, 08:42 AM
depending on what they find with my bike today when it goes in, i might just give them the bike on consignment to sell for me being they don't want it on a trade in. i have been giving this a lot of thought and i am really not happy. i would never sell the bike to someone because i don't want any complaints if something goes wrong, so it might be better off to let a dealer handle it. hang in there john and see what the fix is. who knows, maybe, just maybe they'll get their act together and make it right for you. either by fixing yours (hopefully more than a bandaid) or by making an offer to those of you with major problems, on a new an improved 2014. class action suits are nothing they (brp) will want to get involved in, and i'm sure there is enough animosity revving up to get one going!! good luck bro!!! keep us posted.

soepy
10-15-2013, 09:47 AM
=RBS66;705932]John

THANK YOU ROB[/QUOTE]

soepy
10-15-2013, 09:49 AM
I had bad handling problems with my 2011. Had alignment done and increased front tire pressure to 20 lbs. Solved problem. Have had no problems with my 2013.

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 12:01 PM
i got there and it was early so the service manager was sitting in his car, i asked him to look at the temp. gauge and he said that's not that hot, and i said it's 57 degrees out. so he told me they are trying a new anti freeze in the bikes now, so i also told him about the lil oil leak i found, and the cruise was not working. so than i go in to sign in and i hear the salesman talking on the phone with someone looking for a spyder, i said sell him mine for 19k. the guy said he would of taken it if it was black but he didn't want yellow. so i was waiting for my friend to pick me up and i decided right there and than, i said i don't want the bike back, put it on the floor on consignment and get me 19k for it. so that was my decision if they were only going to change anti freeze so now i have no bike.

ARtraveler
10-15-2013, 12:53 PM
i got there and it was early so the service manager was sitting in his car, i asked him to look at the temp. gauge and he said that's not that hot, and i said it's 57 degrees out. so he told me they are trying a new anti freeze in the bikes now, so i also told him about the lil oil leak i found, and the cruise was not working. so than i go in to sign in and i hear the salesman talking on the phone with someone looking for a spyder, i said sell him mine for 19k. the guy said he would of taken it if it was black but he didn't want yellow. so i was waiting for my friend to pick me up and i decided right there and than, i said i don't want the bike back, put it on the floor on consignment and get me 19k for it. so that was my decision if they were only going to change anti freeze so now i have no bike.

That was a fast decision. Not much more I can add. :bbq::bbq:

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 01:03 PM
That was a fast decision. Not much more I can add. :bbq::bbq:

i have been thinking about it and being the cooler weather is coming and i am hurting, feet and left leg i decided to try to see if i could off the bike. and i know i would only get madder if all they did was change the anti freeze and i still had the heat problem. there is only so much i can take b4 i go off big time on people and i know the louder you scream the less the people listen to you. so best i make the move now and decide if i want to try another spyder or give up riding.

SteveMac
10-15-2013, 01:09 PM
i have been thinking about it and being the cooler weather is coming and i am hurting, feet and left leg i decided to try to see if i could off the bike. and i know i would only get madder if all they did was change the anti freeze and i still had the heat problem. there is only so much i can take b4 i go off big time on people and i know the louder you scream the less the people listen to you. so best i make the move now and decide if i want to try another spyder or give up riding.

Sorry for your trials and tribulations. But all in all sounds like you have a personal resolution and that is a good thing. No need to let this incident have a detrimental effect on your well being.

Will you you be able to return the Vertika stuff?

Wait till the 2014s come out and give them a shot. Maybe wait a couple of months to buy. That puts you in prime riding season in NY. Others in warm areas will be riding and reporting.

And if all else fails,,, there are alternatives. I am enjoying mine! I tried giving up riding. Now THAT didn't work!

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Sorry for your trials and tribulations. But all in all sounds like you have a personal resolution and that is a good thing. No need to let this incident have a detrimental effect on your well being.

Will you you be able to return the Vertika stuff?

Wait till the 2014s come out and give them a shot. Maybe wait a couple of months to buy. That puts you in prime riding season in NY. Others in warm areas will be riding and reporting.

And if all else fails,,, there are alternatives. I am enjoying mine! I tried giving up riding. Now THAT didn't work!

the vents are on their way and the paint came today so i am not sure but i will give someone on here a great deal if i decide to sell the vents and paint, who knows my bike may never sell,

Jeriatric
10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
=RBS66;705932]John

THANK YOU ROB[/QUOTE]

Anyone who has paid the price of admission (purchased a spyder) has every right to publicly speak of their personal experience. Just keep it real and ignore those who have no tolerance for facts.

Hope things get better for younojoke

charles4690
10-15-2013, 03:29 PM
i got there and it was early so the service manager was sitting in his car, i asked him to look at the temp. gauge and he said that's not that hot, and i said it's 57 degrees out. so he told me they are trying a new anti freeze in the bikes now, so i also told him about the lil oil leak i found, and the cruise was not working. so than i go in to sign in and i hear the salesman talking on the phone with someone looking for a spyder, i said sell him mine for 19k. the guy said he would of taken it if it was black but he didn't want yellow. so i was waiting for my friend to pick me up and i decided right there and than, i said i don't want the bike back, put it on the floor on consignment and get me 19k for it. so that was my decision if they were only going to change anti freeze so now i have no bike. Sir. I am owner of 2013 ST-S and have extreme heat issues as well as the steering problems. I would really like to know how the consignment goes. I am looking for some options. Probably let the Spyder go rather than spending more money on trying to make it do what it is supposed to do. Pretty disappointed with the vehicle. Extreme heat, gas drops on floor, oil drops on floor dealers say they all do that.

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Sir. I am owner of 2013 ST-S and have extreme heat issues as well as the steering problems. I would really like to know how the consignment goes. I am looking for some options. Probably let the Spyder go rather than spending more money on trying to make it do what it is supposed to do. Pretty disappointed with the vehicle. Extreme heat, gas drops on floor, oil drops on floor dealers say they all do that.

if it sells i will let you know, it could of gone today if it was black BUT you never know what may happen.

Bob Denman
10-15-2013, 04:44 PM
John,
Here's to hoping that you can find an acceptable conclusion to what has become a personal nightmare for you! :cheers:
Please keep us in the loop! :thumbup:
We may have to work out a Springtime meeting if you want to try out a 2014... mine will be available, if you want to sling a leg over it! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 04:59 PM
no not that kind of credit, i got a follow up call from steve from brp to see if my bike was being worked on today, so if you read this steve thanks because i appreciate the call, but he did seem a lil surprised when i told him that i asked the dealer to sell the bike for me, but he was going to call the dealer to see what is going on.

jerpinoy
10-15-2013, 05:14 PM
BRP should sent us all the tape to do our own fuel tank wraps. This way they will save money.

Bob Denman
10-15-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't think that their legal department would allow them to do that...
They'd have no idea as to the qualifications of the folks getting handed the wrap! :shocked:
But I DO kind of like your idea! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
10-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I don't think that their legal department would allow them to do that...
They'd have no idea as to the qualifications of the folks getting handed the wrap! :shocked:
But I DO kind of like your idea! :thumbup:

i will call or go to the dealer tomorrow to see what readings they got on my bike today and bring the factory seat to have them change it for me so i can get the comfort seat i bought as a extra, i had already taken the clock/outside temp and volt gauges off the bike with the vented windshield.

Bob Denman
10-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Good luck, John! :2thumbs:

kman
10-16-2013, 05:14 AM
I know I've said this before but I haven't seen anything that would persuade me otherwise, just the opposite.

Not taking BRP's side here, just trying to look at the facts objectively. And admittedly, there are some design flaws that I'm not trying to overlook (i.e. the MC taking way too much heat - Ray Charles could have seen that one coming).

But if the overall heating issue were a design flaw, then everyone would be suffering the same. But the fact is there are at least some, if not most, who are not having this much trouble. Design flaws are much more consistent than this.

And I know I've said this before as well, but it seems to me that much of this excessive heat on the problem 2013's might be traced back to a very lean fuel mix. That will really heat things up in a hurry.

So you could have everything exactly the same from front to back, run one engine rich, run another just right, and the 3rd one very lean, and the 1st 2 would run much cooler than the 3rd. We are talking a potential of a few hundred degrees difference in the exhaust gas temperatures. (Sounds like a story I read once about some girl and a few bears - but I digress...).

Anyway, speculation is great fun but we are all looking forward to what your diagnosis comes up with.

I, for one, am not complaining about the complaining, as long as the idea is a reasoned approach to a permanent solution. That's something we can all get behind.

I think you have hit the nail on the head!We have been down a similar road with the 2008s.I suggest that the people with heat issues pull their plugs take a picture of them and post them in this thread.If your Spyder is running excessively lean than just insulating everything is not solving the problem.

wyliec
10-16-2013, 06:46 AM

BajaRon,

I must say this is the best post I've read in months. It makes sense to me; but, I don't know if what you say is true or not. All I know is it's a good tune, easy to dance to, and I give it a 10/10.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-16-2013, 07:05 AM
:agree: A total plug-check by all of the affected bike's owners, might be enlightening... :thumbup:

taxmyzer
10-16-2013, 08:49 AM
i will call or go to the dealer tomorrow to see what readings they got on my bike today and bring the factory seat to have them change it for me so i can get the comfort seat i bought as a extra, i had already taken the clock/outside temp and volt gauges off the bike with the vented windshield.
John hope the dealer is able to sell your bike for a reasonable price. Steve from BRP should still have them find out what's wrong with the bike as this may be helpful to others. Good luck with your hunt for the perfect ride.

cuznjohn
10-16-2013, 09:01 AM
see what ron said is making me think, i told the dealer yesterday that the last time i filled up i took almost 5 gal's of gas and i only did 89 miles. so i told him to check everything to see why one tank was 122 miles and now 89 miles. so what do you do. do i let them do what brp suggested that they do to the bike and give it another chance or just do what i said yesterday and let them take the bike on consignment. i have spent a lot of money on this bike trying to fix the problem myself. the paint came yesterday for the parts i ordered from verika tryks are on their way. i know no one can make a decision for me but do i give the bike another chance. the winter is coming and the bike will be stored soon, so do i ride it now and see what the heat issue does in the cooler weather and than put the bike away and install the parts i ordered or do i get rid of it.

i hate making decisions like this, i am not a rich man, but is giving the bike another chance after all the aggravation i have been through worth it. i look at the elka shocks sitting in the house and now the paint and soon the parts from verika and say to myself that that was a waste of money. when i bought the bike i ordered the comfort seat, vented windshield, Akrapovic exhaust, the hand brake, sat radio with the entertainment harness, navigation unit. so thinking about it almost all night i am going to take a worse beating than when i use to bounce in a biker bar. plus i have a very close friend that tells me i am nuts taking the beating i am going to take. so now i am thinking i will go there today and see what they found and what they told brp yesterday and come home and think hard about what to do. the toughest decision i ever made in my life was a lil over a year ago signing a DNR on mom, being older than my sister i took control not to let my sister regret making the decision so this should be a breeze to do. so i will just man up and do what i think is right.

sorry for saying what i think, and i am not looking for advice, i just hate the fact that as someone else said that the people with problems are being used by brp to help them find a fix for the problem. ok thanks for reading this and once again sorry for sharing my thoughts with you.

SpyderAnn01
10-16-2013, 09:56 AM
John, I know you probably have had this checked out but when my purge valve failed I'd get about 89 miles on a tank of gas. That said the purge valve did not solve my issues but I was getting the best gas mileage ever after they fixed that problem.

I hope you took all of the extras off the Spyder even the exhaust. I think you will get more for them if you sell them separately. Good luck

RBS66
10-16-2013, 10:07 AM
JOHN
Sometimes you have to talk it out and think long and hard about things like this. I don't think I am having heat issuses like your experiencing . My bike get very hot at the glovebox area and by my wife's leg as a passenger. Also I here gas boiling in the tank after short rides I have not started touring yet because I just don't trust the bike enough. Right now I am concentrating on getting mine to handle better.
I have thought a lot about what to do with mine also. I am going to work on the handling right now and wait to see if BRP comes up with something for our heat issues. It was just last week that we all filled out the survey and they see what is being talked about on this forum. I don't want to take a loss either so I am going to wait and see what happens. If BRP does nothing and my bike starts to run even hotter where I can't ride it. I will take it back to the dealer and walk away from it and stop making payments!!! Also I would contact Nydia Hahn Consumer advocate from Channel 6 action news Philadelphia.
As for you I think you should wait and see what BRP comes up with and not make any Hastie decisions.

GOOD LUCK

Cruzr Joe
10-16-2013, 10:15 AM
John

Life is short, sometime you just have to walk away from something and find something else that pleases you, good luck with whatever decision you make

Cruzr Joe

cuznjohn
10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
i just got back from the dealer and they are still working on the bike and it is the first time i have seen it fully apart, the way the pipes are run on the left side is just dumb. right by the gas tank with no heat shields. the thing i was wrong about is the anti freeze, they are not changing it as i thought the new anti freeze is being used in their 4 wheelers and he has a call into steve from brp to see if they want to try it, but they don't have it in stock so if he wants to change it brp will have to send it. there doesn't look like there is any heat damage to the MC or the canister and they are getting ready to put the band aids on them. the buds report was sent to brp and i guess they are waiting t see what brp says. so that's it so far and i did tell them i changed my mind and will give the bike another chance.

kman
10-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Good luck and keep us posted.

schnauzermom
10-16-2013, 01:34 PM
i just got back from the dealer and they are still working on the bike and it is the first time i have seen it fully apart, the way the pipes are run on the left side is just dumb. right by the gas tank with no heat shields. the thing i was wrong about is the anti freeze, they are not changing it as i thought the new anti freeze is being used in their 4 wheelers and he has a call into steve from brp to see if they want to try it, but they don't have it in stock so if he wants to change it brp will have to send it. there doesn't look like there is any heat damage to the MC or the canister and they are getting ready to put the band aids on them. the buds report was sent to brp and i guess they are waiting t see what brp says. so that's it so far and i did tell them i changed my mind and will give the bike another chance.

That's great news that nothing has begun to get damaged. And here is my "no tech savy" 2 cents. Last week went to our dealer (which I believe is one of the best), Clem's in Enumclaw, Washington. Ended up purchasing an extended warranty for my 2011 RT S SE5. But was very tempted with the pricing on the 2013's. Plus, Randy, our spydee tech is waiting to hear from BRP because he has come up with a solution for a heat shield type of protection for the pipe area because he believes that has been behind a lot of the heating problems. Clem's believe BRP will be coming out with some sort of fix based on his technique. Clem's is already using the protection on any new 2013's going out the door now. Not sure if this is different from the BRP fix already out there but believe it is. Best wishes to you and all the luck.

wetmountainman
10-16-2013, 01:41 PM
That's great news that nothing has begun to get damaged. And here is my "no tech savy" 2 cents. Last week went to our dealer (which I believe is one of the best), Clem's in Enumclaw, Washington. Ended up purchasing an extended warranty for my 2011 RT S SE5. But was very tempted with the pricing on the 2013's. Plus, Randy, our spydee tech is waiting to hear from BRP because he has come up with a solution for a heat shield type of protection for the pipe area because he believes that has been behind a lot of the heating problems. Clem's believe BRP will be coming out with some sort of fix based on his technique. Clem's is already using the protection on any new 2013's going out the door now. Not sure if this is different from the BRP fix already out there but believe it is. Best wishes to you and all the luck.
Can you elaborate more on his new heat fix? Or, please advise what he's doing after you get more information.

schnauzermom
10-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Can you elaborate more on his new heat fix? Or, please advise what he's doing after you get more information.

That's all I've got, unfortunately. Since I have a 2011, I did not go into detail with them on the fix. I was semi seriously thinking of trading my 2011 and when I was asking them about the heating issues, this is the information they gave me. I then decided to get the extended for my 2011 and bide my time to see how the 2014's perform.

3 Wheel Addict
10-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Well my current situation has not changed, dealer won't help and BRP wont call back. Last trip to the dealer netted me the hottest temp on the gas cap yet and it was only 74 degrees out that morning! (153 degrees on a plastic cap) I did a long ride this past sunday and had to stop about 60 miles in and place a towel over the front of the seat to keep the heat off of my nuts! They was a roasting.... now later that evening when it got cool that heat was kinda nice but not so much when it was 85 out. I rode about 220 miles to another dealer to see if they have seen any issues with the heat, their response was kinda beating around the bush, like they have but don't want to talk about it??? He kept changing the subject and avoiding my questions, weird....

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 09:22 AM
i just got off the phone with steve from brp. according to the buds report he received from my dealer my bike is running hot, lol i knew that. he also told me that the report shows i am shifting at the right rpm's and running the bike in the right rpm range, but he said the tec's are working on the problem and they hope to have a solution in the next couple of weeks, just when the holidays are coming and i said i was going to supply the roasted chest nuts

spyder3
10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
i just got off the phone with steve from brp. according to the buds report he received from my dealer my bike is running hot, lol i knew that. he also told me that the report shows i am shifting at the right rpm's and running the bike in the right rpm range, but he said the tec's are working on the problem and they hope to have a solution in the next couple of weeks, just when the holidays are coming and i said i was going to supply the roasted chest nuts

Well, maybe, just maybe they can find something john. It would sure help alot of people including you. :pray:

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Well, maybe, just maybe they can find something john. It would sure help alot of people including you. :pray:

what really amazed me was they could tell what rpm's i was shifting at and what rpm's i was cruising at

spyder3
10-17-2013, 09:34 AM
what really amazed me was they could tell what rpm's i was shifting at and what rpm's i was cruising at

yeah, they get that info from the buds readout....It sounds like they were at the very least, honest about your issue. :doorag:

OWISE1
10-17-2013, 10:32 AM

That was fast. They had my BUDS rpts a week before they got yours. Just got off the ph with BRP Steve who told me basically the same thing he told you...nojoke Steve said the BRP Techs were analyzing several Buds rpts to find the issues...JOHN IT'S NOT US.....:cheers:

It's to sad that the dealer techs can't read the BUDS rpts...

Wait a couple weeks and it will be so wet and cold that I won't be able to ride...talk about timing :dontknow:

It would be nice if BRP came up with a fix...:pray:

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 10:37 AM
i just called the dealer about hearing from brp. he told me the canister was melted and one is on order so no bike until it comes in being the bike is all apart so now it is just a waiting game to get the bike back. i was really starting to think i was going nuts with everyone not having problems saying the people with problems have the poor me's and we were cry babies, so believe it or not i feel a lil better knowing they did find a problem and that i was not loosing it

frenchek
10-17-2013, 10:47 AM

there are bunch of people following the outcome of this issue--sure hope brp is on this one. congrats to cuz john for being so persistent, I sure hope it works out well for the "cuz" and the rest of the 2013 owners with problems.

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 11:08 AM
there are bunch of people following the outcome of this issue--sure hope brp is on this one. congrats to cuz john for being so persistent, I sure hope it works out well for the "cuz" and the rest of the 2013 owners with problems.

i was only persistent because i have a health problem with my feet due to diabetes and i can not have my foot burnt because diabetics don't heal well, if the problem with my feet didn't exist i might of just learned to live with the heat problem. but being my brother in law lost toes due to a burn and he was a worst diabetic than i am i said i will not lose body parts and put my health at risk over a bike that i bought because of not being able to ride two wheels anymore. so lucky for me and us, that i did have concerns and i pushed the issue to the point where i am getting something done. i just hope they find a fix for us 13 owners and we can ride till our hearts are happy again.

kman
10-17-2013, 11:24 AM
i just got off the phone with steve from brp. according to the buds report he received from my dealer my bike is
running hot, lol i knew that. he also told me that the report shows i am shifting at the right rpm's and running the bike in the right rpm range, but he said the tec's are working on the problem and they hope to have a solution in the next couple of weeks, just when the holidays are coming and i said i was going to supply the roasted chest nuts

So if it is running hot is it running too lean or is there a problem with the cooling system?Just my thoughts.

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 11:46 AM
So if it is running hot is it running too lean or is there a problem with the cooling system?Just my thoughts.

i get really bad gas millage but i don't know what is going on with brp and what they are thinking. as long as they can come up with a fix that's all that really matters. when a friend of mine looked at the muffler the other day he thought the bike was running rich by the black in the rear baffles. i just hope a fix is soon found

Bob Denman
10-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm curious about the whole "running lean/running rich" issue as well...
John,
If you're talking with BRP about it; ask them:
If the bike is running lean, and heats up...
Does it then go to some sort of enrichening mode, to add fuel to cool the combustion chamber?

Lousy fuel mileage could also be the purge valve (I think...) :shocked:

cuznjohn
10-17-2013, 12:03 PM
John,
Does it then go to some sort of enrichening mode, to add fuel to cool the combustion chamber?

Lousy fuel mileage could also be the purge valve (I think...) :shocked:

there has to be a good reason for everything that is going on. so i guess if they can see what rpm's that i am shifting at and what rpm's i am cruising at than they can see everything the bike is doing and try to find a fix. i just hope they can't see that every tine i ride i stop at a donuts shop or a pastrami sandwich i eat because that can really be embarrassing

spyder3
10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
John, get that thing on the rode and we can meet up for a ride....:thumbup:

spydaman60
10-17-2013, 02:13 PM
John,

Lousy fuel mileage could also be the purge valve (I think...) :shocked:with all the codes the spyders throw, you'd think that it would throw one for a bad purge valve, wouldn't you?:dontknow:

OWISE1
10-18-2013, 10:59 AM
This is unbelievable. ;)

At 0730 this morning I got a ph call from.....wait for it......Yves Leduc, Vice President General Manager North America Division (http://www.insideview.com/Free-Edition?utm_source=IVdirectory&utm_medium=Contacts_Title_Details).

He was responding to a customer survey, "Share Your Story". He said he would make things right and he would be contacting Steve for follow ups.

Maybe we are making progress...:dontknow:

Bob Denman
10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
:2thumbs: GREAT news! :yes::ohyea::yes:
Chuck,
It can't throw a purge valve code if there's nothing speaking to the computers about it's operation. :opps:

spyder3
10-18-2013, 11:38 AM
This is unbelievable. ;)

At 0730 this morning I got a ph call from.....wait for it......Yves Leduc, Vice President General Manager North America Division (http://www.insideview.com/Free-Edition?utm_source=IVdirectory&utm_medium=Contacts_Title_Details).

He was responding to a customer survey, "Share Your Story". He said he would make things right and he would be contacting Steve for follow ups.

Maybe we are making progress...:dontknow:

Can any of our canadien friends tell us what that means when it's said north of the border?:popcorn:

3 Wheel Addict
10-18-2013, 12:15 PM
i just called the dealer about hearing from brp. he told me the canister was melted and one is on order so no bike until it comes in being the bike is all apart so now it is just a waiting game to get the bike back. i was really starting to think i was going nuts with everyone not having problems saying the people with problems have the poor me's and we were cry babies, so believe it or not i feel a lil better knowing they did find a problem and that i was not loosing it

My bike got the "recall" done before I ever picked it up so there was no way I had anything melted. However I still have extreme heat around the gas tank and surrounding seat plastic. Big question is will they come up with a solution to the "source" of the heat. Just protecting the parts that can melt is NOT the answer it's only part of the problem. Someone mentioned looking at spark plugs for comparison and i'm going to pull mine out this weekend to see if i'm burning lean.

Bob Denman
10-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I believe that Hotglue posted some pics of what a VERY lean running bike's plugs look like... :thumbup:

OWISE1
10-18-2013, 12:42 PM
My bike got the "recall" done before I ever picked it up so there was no way I had anything melted. However I still have extreme heat around the gas tank and surrounding seat plastic. Big question is will they come up with a solution to the "source" of the heat. Just protecting the parts that can melt is NOT the answer it's only part of the problem. Someone mentioned looking at spark plugs for comparison and i'm going to pull mine out this weekend to see if i'm burning lean.

The recall was a "bandaid fix", so it's possible the canister may have melted again along with other parts...:yikes: Be sure the dealer checks the wiring harness that runs next to the master cylinder, mine was melted to the bare wires. There were no codes that showed up.:banghead:

Good Luck

OldCowboy
10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
I think it's important for BRP to figure out why some :spyder2: have a heat problem and others do not. A lean mixture can increase exhaust gas temps significantly. Unfortunately, there's no way for the owner or technician to adjust fuel maps. Frankly, I cannot understand why the fuel maps can't be adjusted. Harley Davidson has had that ability for at least seven years. Also, I don't understand why BRP ran the exhaust headers so close to critical components, like the fuel tank, master cylinder and evap canister without some attempt at shielding. That being said, it still doesn't explain why some have boiling gas and gas caps which are too hot to handle while others don't.

3 Wheel Addict
10-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Yep that one confuses me too. I do know that BRP Evinrude does have the ability to adjust maps "on the fly" cause we had some done this year alone. Tech service would e-mail me a map and I would download it and install in the customers outboard and have them try it, took a couple of times but we finally got it. I also think that BRP has their hands tied while trying to meet EPA standards for emissions and keep the bike rich enough to live. There has to be some variable that is making some bikes not like the "map" and others are ok with it. I got good news today from BRP, I have been assigned a case worker to my claim and they should be contacting me shortly to figure something out... I hope!

cuznjohn
10-18-2013, 04:31 PM
if brp can tell me the other day on the phone that i am shifting at the right rpm's and cruising in the optimal range and that my bike is running very hot just by looking at a buds report, why can't they come up with a new map for the bike to adjust it.

Bob Denman
10-18-2013, 08:22 PM
They can; and they have... :thumbup:
They can re-flash your ECM... :2thumbs:

Sny
10-21-2013, 09:50 AM
But I got a SE5 :opps:
Just means you have to try harder ;)

Sny
10-21-2013, 10:21 AM
i went and bought a cheap heat detector and took a ride, when i came to a stop in 66 degree weather i took readings at all the hot points and took pictures of each reading as i took them. i sent the pictures to him and he said it is way too hot. .
Any chance of sharing these? I'd like to see where you're taking the temps from (and what you're getting)

OWISE1
10-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Problem #6: Frunk switch quit working. At dealer yesterday, had to order new switch..:banghead:
After dealer sent in Buds rpt, Heat issues, no return call. Service manger called and talked to BRP Techs. Answer; my spider is running normal :banghead: and they are working on a fix. A FIX if it is running NORMAL :cus:. He said they don't have an answer :duh:

anthony422
10-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Ill start off by saying even with the issues I love this machine, I have now 3500 miles in 60 days so I do ride it this is what I know: When its nice and cool out and the machine is in motion its runs great and cool except the seat area gets rather warm..... When its hot and you are not in motion its obvious there is no air passing thru the machine, the heat gets trapped and things heat up. I did get the heat shield fix but did question where the heat goes, that being said I went on a day trip, at around 2pm I ended up in the middle of Kingston NY, and sat at a few lights, stop and go, it was warm out so all the elements in place....bam! check engine light.... turned out to be after limping back to my dealer, my evaporator canister (I'm told was clogged) and I had a fouled plug.... I really think the heat messed up my evaporator or deformed it. whatever the case may be, its heat related, If this was an open vehicle we would not be here. BRP has not got back to me in weeks and its obvious they have no answers and i'm sure not the only one here so its get in line.... I still feel if we can at least wrap the exhaust safely and parallel a turbo fan to kick on with the existing fan to release heat from under the plastic things should simmer down, just my opinion, meanwhile i'm afraid of a long trip and break downs.... recalls happen on every vehicle so I understand that, so thru my experience this is where im at.... I think we need to be careful what we shield because as we are protecting other items from heat we are also holding heat in... one thing I will shield is the bottom of the seat direct maybe with insulating cork

BigJohnP
10-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Ok here is my two cents about the right foot heat problem. Thought I would just share this with everyone. Yes I had a heat problem, but not all that bad. I also had a foot placement problem, for me a little bit of a worse problem. After looking at the problem I came up with the following.

The rain defector sheild seems to defect the heat from the radiator chamber back on to your foot. On the 2013 this is a little worse because they have put foot plates on the bike. The rain defector panel was on earlier models, but they had pegs. These shield also limit the amount of travel your foot can move while riding. So I shortened the rain defector panels and no more problems :yes: . By doing this I now have room to move my feet around. My foot does not get hot because there is air flow over my foot :clap: . And the engine seem to run a little cooler because the heat from the radiator chamber is being drawn out better because of the air flow across the lower hole. The panels from BRP are $27 so it is not the end of the world if you have to replace them at some point in the future. I did both sides to make it look like it was made that way, and if you did not know they where bigger you would not say a thing about it.

Thought that I would just pass this on as my idea to the problem. It is really easy to do, no money spent, no highway pegs bought and it seems to work well. Oh and by the way, you are riding a motor cycle so if it rains your foot is going to get wet. That is just the way it works.

Just to let everyone know, 2013 RT-S ES5 Viper Red :spyder2:. I'm 6'6" tall, so I need all the room there is.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77733&d=1382019397&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77733&d=1382020253)http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77734&d=1382019393&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77734&d=1382020258)http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77735&d=1382019388&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77735&d=1382020262)

JkRbbt
10-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanx for the input, BigJohn. Sounds like you are getting SOME air to move. I just wish BRP would chime in. Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything? I just hate the thought of going into my garage and cutting off water deflectors or cutting holes in the bottom of my machine without reasonable research. Trial and error might work, but what are we doing to our machines in the long run? Hello, BRP?? Hello? Anyone there??

Bob Denman
10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I wonder if a set of moveable deflectors could be built to replace those lower ones?? :dontknow:
Pull them in, and they'd shovel the rain away from your feet. Push them out; more air where it's needed! :thumbup:

Jeriatric
10-22-2013, 12:45 PM
I wonder if a set of moveable deflectors could be built to replace those lower ones?? :dontknow:
Pull them in, and they'd shovel the rain away from your feet. Push them out; more air where it's needed! :thumbup:

Excellent idea Robert.......:thumbup:

Jeriatric
10-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything?

Short answer is......Usnojoke

cuznjohn
10-22-2013, 01:13 PM
how can they help when i was just at the dealer and tomorrow is the scheduled date for the delivery of my fuel canister, it's just over a week for a piece of plastic to be delivered

Bob Denman
10-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Excellent idea Robert.......:thumbup:
Thanks... But I'm just the "idea guy" ;:shocked: no mechanical skills! :opps:

BigJohnP
10-23-2013, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=JkRbbt;710316]Thanx for the input, BigJohn. Sounds like you are getting SOME air to move. I just wish BRP would chime in. Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything? I just hate the thought of going into my garage and cutting off water deflectors or cutting holes in the bottom of my machine without reasonable research. Trial and error might work, but what are we doing to our machines in the long run? Hello, BRP?? Hello? Anyone there??[/QUOTE

BRP has answered because there is no much they can do at this time. To make a modification in this area at this time would require re-tooling of each part. That would be very expensive and would cost the few customers that would buy them a large sum of money. Plus they where modifing the Spyder for 2014 anyway. These parts where used on earlier modules so they get there tooling cost back. So in many ways it will be up to the owners of the 2013s to find the solutions to correct the problems. Unless the owner proves the fault lyes with BRP. This attitude holds true for Ford, Chevy and all automotive manufacturers including other cycle manufacturers.

BigJohnP
10-24-2013, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=JkRbbt;710316]Thanx for the input, BigJohn. Sounds like you are getting SOME air to move. I just wish BRP would chime in. Aren't they the ones with a test track? A laboratory? Test instruments? Something?? Anything? I just hate the thought of going into my garage and cutting off water deflectors or cutting holes in the bottom of my machine without reasonable research. Trial and error might work, but what are we doing to our machines in the long run? Hello, BRP?? Hello? Anyone there??

BRP has answered because there is no much they can do at this time. To make a modification in this area at this time would require re-tooling of each part. That would be very expensive and would cost the few customers that would buy them a large sum of money. Plus they where modifing the Spyder for 2014 anyway. These parts where used on earlier modules so they get there tooling cost back. So in many ways it will be up to the owners of the 2013s to find the solutions to correct the problems. Unless the owner proves the fault lyes with BRP. This attitude holds true for Ford, Chevy and all automotive manufacturers including other cycle manufacturers.