PDA

View Full Version : Grab handles

johnboyjohn.pretious
07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi guys. I thought that the passenger grab handles were pretty robust things, BUT, in my dealers is a demonstrator with a broken off grab rail onthe right side. It appears a guy was pulling the Spyder back when the handle came off in his hand. IT IS MADE OF PLASTIC . So be careful.:yikes:
Johnboy.

jeuchler
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi guys. I thought that the passenger grab handles were pretty robust things, BUT, in my dealers is a demonstrator with a broken off grab rail onthe right side. It appears a guy was pulling the Spyder back when the handle came off in his hand. IT IS MADE OF PLASTIC . So be careful.:yikes:
Johnboy.

Not arguing with ya, Johnboy, but I am surprised.

(Did the fellow pull it with a 3/4 ton pickup and a chain, sideways??!)

Everyday I pull the Spyder out of the garage just so I can start it up outside, and everyday I push it back in the same way, holding onto one grab handle.

Hmmm....

johnboyjohn.pretious
07-10-2008, 08:48 AM
I didnt want to bore anyone with a long explanation,but as you ask - he was holding the middle of the handle and pulling it back to straighten it up. There are NO strengthening metal rods inside, just a sort of criss cross lattice. Be careful with it !!!!
Like you I have been pulling my Spyder around with these,but Im sure cautious now !!

NancysToy
07-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Guess I'll have to rethink how I tie the back end of the Spyder down when it's in the trailer.
-Scotty

Greg H.
07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Maybe, it's just me..... but; doesn't the Spyder have 'reverse' for this very reason. I'm just sayin'........ :dontknow:

I'll be pulling into the garage. And, backing out under the Spyder's power.

But.... but; I can see waking up really early one weekend morning - not wanting to disturb the Wife, and manually pulling the Spyder out of the garage. However; if one has a Hindle, Micron, or Two Brothers Exhaust, one might need to pull the Spyder all the way out to the street before firing her up! For me, that would be a slight incline of about 100+ feet.

I might need to re-think this aftermarket exhaust thing!!! Ha!! :)

Lamonster
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
My guess is they had it strapped down when trailering it somewhere to the grab rails and when they went to move it later it broke. I just can't see how you could break them any other way. :dontknow:

jeuchler
07-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Maybe, it's just me..... but; doesn't the Spyder have 'reverse' for this very reason. I'm just sayin'........ :dontknow:

I'll be pulling into the garage. And, backing out under the Spyder's power.

But.... but; I can see waking up really early one weekend morning - not wanting to disturb the Wife, and manually pulling the Spyder out of the garage. However; if one has a Hindle, Micron...

Yup.

That's exactly why I pull it our by hand: Micron + small garage under the bedroom + sleeping wife = unhappiness.

I also agree with Lamont.

Somebody cracked it under a ridiculous load, said "oops," then didn't inform their boss nor the Spyder owner...

NancysToy
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
We pull the Spyder in the garage under power, but back it out by hand and turn it around. Just easier with the tight clearances next to the other bikes. Besides, it is hard to see back very well, and easier to move the steering a bit when you do. These things roll easily. That grab rail had to be cracked beforehand.
-Scotty

spydsense
07-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I have to agree....something must have happened to the grab bar or there was a defect. I pull mine out of the garage all the time.

jimjel
07-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Are the grab handles bolted to the frame of the Spyder or just run into some plastic?

l1cencetokill007
07-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Johnboy.

was it at adrenaline atv?

Lamonster
07-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Are the grab handles bolted to the frame of the Spyder or just run into some plastic?
It's bolted to the frame but it's a pretty major piece of plastic. :shocked:

spyryder
07-13-2008, 03:36 PM
If you have a newer car, chances are your parking brake pedal is plastic.:yikes:

johnboyjohn.pretious
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
was it at adrenaline atv?
Yep