PDA

View Full Version : It's official gas dripping

Magdave
10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Recently I have started getting the strong gas smell after a ride. I put a paper towel under after I got home and this is what I got
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77575&d=1381687426 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77573)

I am getting so sick of this crap I have an airbag on order so I will be taking paper towels to the dealer with me. No I do not overfill I am very carefull about that.:banghead:

cuznjohn
10-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Recently I have started getting the strong gas smell after a ride. I put a paper towel under after I got home and this is what I got
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77575&d=1381687426 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3043&attachmentid=77573)

I am getting so sick of this crap I have an airbag on order so I will be taking paper towels to the dealer with me. No I do not overfill I am very carefull about that.:banghead:

things just keep getting worse, the 13's should come with life insurance for us

Jeriatric
10-13-2013, 01:30 PM
My 2011 has always done that. Canister and purge valve replacement changed nothing. Nature of the beast. So, the spyder sets in the drive for an hour or so before going in the garage. Unfortunately from what I have read here that's BRP's answer to the problem too.

Magdave
10-13-2013, 01:30 PM
I believe cjack placed a fuel filter at the end of the purge vent hose to stop the drip.
That sounds like a BRP fix to me :mad: I wanna do over and buyback I can't take the stress and time it is taking me to make this POS reliable do you hear me Steve? You need to call me I did not include every detail in my survey and I want my 2 rating back might be time to start lawyering up. Do I sound upset?:banghead:

ivanlee
10-13-2013, 01:53 PM

This is a problem from day one with the 2008 spyder.:dontknow:

Magdave
10-13-2013, 01:55 PM
This is a problem from day one with the 2008 spyder.:dontknow:
That does not make it right or safe and cannot be considered normal IMHO. What happens if you are sitting at a light and someone tosses a cigarette out? (see my signature)

cuznjohn
10-13-2013, 01:56 PM
That sounds like a BRP fix to me :mad: I wanna do over and buyback I can't take the stress and time it is taking me to make this POS reliable do you hear me Steve? You need to call me I did not include every detail in my survey and I want my 2 rating back might be time to start lawyering up. Do I sound upset?:banghead:

e mail him about the lawyer that's how i got the attention

flamingobabe
10-13-2013, 02:00 PM
2009 never dripped gasoline.......2013 well ........

Magdave
10-13-2013, 02:33 PM
e mail him about the lawyer that's how i got the attention
I PM'ed him and included this thread :thumbup:

NancysToy
10-13-2013, 03:02 PM
One drop of gas condensing in the short, vertical atmospheric vent hose and ending up on the ground would not be unusual for any vehicle. I will admit that the emissions system on the Spyder could have been designed better and does face some functional challenges due to location and design, but yours appears to be working as intended. Another possible solution beside the small fuel filter to absorb these drips and allow them to revaporize, would be to run an extended atmoshperic vent hose so any condensate cannot immediately run down and out. I understand that your expectations are extremely high, but this one isn't a readily fixable "flaw" unless you either accept it or conceive some sort of modification. The dealer is not allowed to modify these systems in any way.

OldCowboy
10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=Magdave;705416][snip] I wanna do over and buyback [snip]/QUOTE]

It ain't gonna happen. Sell your :f_spider: and go about your life.

Magdave
10-13-2013, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=Magdave;705416][snip] I wanna do over and buyback [snip]/QUOTE]

It ain't gonna happen. Sell your :f_spider: and go about your life.
I don't need that comment nor do any of us that are having problems. We shall see what happens can't sell it they are worthless thanks to BRP flooding the dealers with bikes no one wants. All I want is a bike that is safe and can run like it should instaed of one that leaks oil, was almost falling apart from the git go because it wasn't put together right, has obvious instability due to front end issues, leaks gas and oil ( and they say it is normal BS) and doesn't spontaneously combust. The fix is not proven my canister was floating around inside after the recall up against the header.I was told the insulation made it almost impossible to clip it back into the mount. If you have nothing positive or helpful to add please refrain from answering my posts in the future :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
10-13-2013, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=OldCowboy;705476]
I don't need that comment nor do any of us that are having problems. We shall see what happens can't sell it they are worthless thanks to BRP flooding the dealers with bikes no one wants. All I want is a bike that is safe and can run like it should instaed of one that leaks oil, was almost falling apart from the git go because it wasn't put together right, has obvious instability due to front end issues, leaks gas and oil ( and they say it is normal BS) and doesn't spontaneously combust. The fix is not proven my canister was floating around inside after the recall up against the header.I was told the insulation made it almost impossible to clip it back into the mount. If you have nothing positive or helpful to add please refrain from answering my posts in the future :thumbup:

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Magdave
10-13-2013, 03:56 PM
One drop of gas condensing in the short, vertical atmospheric vent hose and ending up on the ground would not be unusual for any vehicle. I will admit that the emissions system on the Spyder could have been designed better and does face some functional challenges due to location and design, but yours appears to be working as intended. Another possible solution beside the small fuel filter to absorb these drips and allow them to revaporize, would be to run an extended atmoshperic vent hose so any condensate cannot immediately run down and out. I understand that your expectations are extremely high, but this one isn't a readily fixable "flaw" unless you either accept it or conceive some sort of modification. The dealer is not allowed to modify these systems in any way.

It was a lot more than a drop yesterday Scotty. I did not have a paper towel under it but it is a 4in spot on my mat. I am sure working as intended does not include dripping gas and causing me to leave my garage open for hours to make sure my house doesn't blow up. My expectations are for it not to be a fire hazard not high ones. If I modify it and something happens will BRP stand behind it? I doubt it. I will try only things that don't conflict with federal laws. Messing with the emission system is not one of them. I see more people are reporting this issue to http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/ I hope everyone does. I looked under it when I got home and could see the fuel vapors pouring from the hose you know the mirage effect and only from the hose so it is not just the liquid it is the vapors. The purge valve is supposed to draw all that back into the bike not push it out the hose.

Magdave
10-13-2013, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=Magdave;705495]

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today

Yuuup getting tired of chasing a moving target of a good reliable ride. One step forward and two backwards. Then BRP ruins the market for me to even sell it. It is a little frustrating to say the least. The hour ride I took before the drips was good though:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
How did BRP ruin the market for resale? I think the Whiners do more damage to themselves than any one else.

Cruzr Joe

Magdave
10-13-2013, 04:16 PM
How did BRP ruin the market for resale? I think the Whiners do more damage to themselves than any one else.

Cruzr Joe

By dumping all the 2013 for $6k off at the dealers who are selling RTL's for $22k now. By delivering an obvious defective sytem that everyone can find out about now. What do you think my $23k RT is worth now. Dealers won't even take them on trade. That is how.

Cruzr Joe
10-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Every dealer discounts last years model when the new modela are introduced!!

Magdave
10-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Every dealer discounts last years model when the new modela are introduced!!

Not by $6k or more. When I bought mine in June 2012 and 2011 were $2K offwithout added warranties like being offered now they didn't have any or I would have had one. How many '13s do you think will be sitting on the floors this time next year?

NancysToy
10-13-2013, 04:35 PM
It was a lot more than a drop yesterday Scotty. I did not have a paper towel under it but it is a 4in spot on my mat. I am sure working as intended does not include dripping gas and causing me to leave my garage open for hours to make sure my house doesn't blow up. My expectations are for it not to be a fire hazard not high ones. If I modify it and something happens will BRP stand behind it? I doubt it. I will try only things that don't conflict with federal laws. Messing with the emission system is not one of them. I see more people are reporting this issue to http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/ I hope everyone does. I looked under it when I got home and could see the fuel vapors pouring from the hose you know the mirage effect and only from the hose so it is not just the liquid it is the vapors. The purge valve is supposed to draw all that back into the bike not push it out the hose.

When gas hits a flat surface (or absorbant mat) or water, it spreads out to 1-2 molecules thick, so the area of the slick makes it look much worse than it is. Yours probably condensed more than a drop, if you are seeing significant fumes, but you would probably be surprised at how little gas is present.

The purge valve only directs the emissions canister vapors to the engine when it is running and certain operating conditions are met. When those conditions are not met, but the engine is running, the valve is closed. When the engine is shut off, the atmospheric vent opens. There lies the problem with the BRP system. Too little capacity, too short and vertical an atmospheric vent, and too much heat under the skin to allow the system to cool quickly and stop releasing vapors. I don't know the EPA test protocol, but I would be shocked if a real-world Spyder could pass their requirements in a real-world test. If the EPA is not concerned, however, neither am I. I don't own a vehicle that doesn't drip a little oil, water, or gas once in a while. It always came with the territory, so I don't expect them not to as they age. Obviously, most do or there would not be a dark line down the center of the freeway lanes, that gets slippery when it rains.

It is unfortunate that the Spyder does not meet your high expectations of a drip-free and pretty much perfect vehicle. That is not a slam, you are entitled to your expectations and desires, and I hope you can find a vehicle that can fulfill them. I doubt it is the Spyder....or a Harley or a Chevy or a Ford, however. I don't think the "perfect" vehicle can be a reality until you get into the upper echelon of pricing. A Lamborgini this isn't, I'm afraid. JMHO and absolutely no disrespect intended.

Cruzr Joe
10-13-2013, 04:41 PM
When gas hits a flat surface (or absorbant mat) or water, it spreads out to 1-2 molecules thick, so the area of the slick makes it look much worse than it is. Yours probably condensed more than a drop, if you are seeing significant fumes, but you would probably be surprised at how little gas is present.

The purge valve only directs the emissions canister vapors to the engine when it is running and certain operating conditions are met. When those conditions are not met, but the engine is running, the valve is closed. When the engine is shut off, the atmospheric vent opens. There lies the problem with the BRP system. Too little capacity, too short and vertical an atmospheric vent, and too much heat under the skin to allow the system to cool quickly and stop releasing vapors. I don't know the EPA test protocol, but I would be shocked if a real-world Spyder could pass their requirements in a real-world test. If the EPA is not concerned, however, neither am I. I don't own a vehicle that doesn't drip a little oil, water, or gas once in a while. It always came with the territory, so I don't expect them not to as they age. Obviously, most do or there would not be a dark line down the center of the freeway lanes, that gets slippery when it rains.

It is unfortunate that the Spyder does not meet your high expectations of a drip-free and pretty much perfect vehicle. That is not a slam, you are entitled to your expectations and desires, and I hope you can find a vehicle that can fulfill them. I doubt it is the Spyder....or a Harley or a Chevy or a Ford, however. I don't think the "perfect" vehicle can be a reality until you get into the upper echelon of pricing. A Lamborgini this isn't, I'm afraid. JMHO and absolutely no disrespect intended.

Well said

Magdave
10-13-2013, 04:42 PM
My last bike Scotty was a GL1000 I owned for years and never had any issues like I am having with this one. It did not leak,smell like gas or cause any undue heat issues. My expectations are for a new bike to have all systems working as designed. Obviously that is not the case with mine and a few others. Who knows how many others that are not on SL too. Most Spyder owners I meet never heard of this place. This bike is not a $2k scooter the pricing is high enough to expect them to at least work as well as the previous year. Obviously that is not the case for 2013's

Netminder
10-13-2013, 04:44 PM

Cruzr Joe

I do not think these people are Whiners, I think most of them have legimate complaints. I say this as someone who has had very little issues with my Spyder or dealer. But if I had some of these issues, I would be pretty pissed myself! :dontknow:JMHO.

Cruzr Joe
10-13-2013, 04:45 PM
If they do not know of this site, they are missing a lot of good info

MouthPiece
10-13-2013, 05:03 PM
​<sigh> !!!

NancysToy
10-13-2013, 05:37 PM
My last bike Scotty was a GL1000 I owned for years and never had any issues like I am having with this one. It did not leak,smell like gas or cause any undue heat issues. My expectations are for a new bike to have all systems working as designed. Obviously that is not the case with mine and a few others. Who knows how many others that are not on SL too. Most Spyder owners I meet never heard of this place. This bike is not a $2k scooter the pricing is high enough to expect them to at least work as well as the previous year. Obviously that is not the case for 2013's

You were fortunate. Most production vehicles, including many GL1000's and their followers, weeped or had other problems, especially after a period of time. I personally ride leaky old Brit bikes and other antiques, so I don't care, but you do, and your new Spyder does not meet your expectations. That is unfortunate, but it may not be within the dealer or BRP's power to change things to your satisfaction. I wish you well in your quest.

Magdave
10-13-2013, 05:39 PM
A though based on Scotty's previous post. Both of the rides that caused the leaks in the last 2 days were 65mph+ 1hr. Obviously heating the bike and canister to it's fullest. I never had this issue before the recall a slight wiff of fumes now and then but nothing leaking like I have gotten from this. Could it be the fix itself is preventing the canister from cooling down since it is insulated. Once it is hot shouldn't it remain so for a longer period thus producing more fumes and possibly more leakage?

Roger I cleaned my mat because of the leaking clutch seals I found accidently and were confirmed by the dealer in order to see if what he did ( basically cleaning up the cylinder and cover) had any effect and so far it may have as far as I can tell no oil yet. Maybe it was residual from break in finally seeping out. Time will tell on that one . They gave me the choice of tearing it down or waiting I chose the latter. I was putting paper towels under it to verify whether it was still leaking oil not gas but the overwhelming smell scared me. Now I have a different issue and I was trying to see if what was leaking was oil or gas. Obviously it was gas. I would rather have oil it doesn't explode. I do enjoy the bike but am upset at being a crash test dummy for a fix that may cause another issue. It may not melt but it will also may not cool down as fast either. The solution may be to ride at slower speeds for a longer time or a remap to cool the engine more. The best solution is to ceramic coat the headers Or just the offending one. but I doubt BRP is willing to pay for that. Just tossing that out there. For you that just want to post stupid comments please stop this is a serious thread about a potentially serious problem that BRP has caused not me. I do not want to defend my self against people who are lucky enough to not have this issue. Thanks for you co operation.:thumbup:

NancysToy
10-13-2013, 05:54 PM
You would really have to confine that dripped gasoline into a relatively small space in order to reach the 1.4% Lower Explosive Limit. No need to be reactionary. This really isn't a safety problem. Fuel tanks were vented to atmosphere for many decades without danger. It is only with the advent of emissions laws that these vents were regulated...and not for safety reasons. :lecturef_smilie:

Magdave
10-13-2013, 06:14 PM
You would really have to confine that dripped gasoline into a relatively small space in order to reach the 1.4% Lower Explosive Limit. No need to be reactionary. This really isn't a safety problem. Fuel tanks were vented to atmosphere for many decades without danger. It is only with the advent of emissions laws that these vents were regulated...and not for safety reasons. :lecturef_smilie:

But what about the lack of cooling due to added insulation?

Mo Lee
10-14-2013, 04:53 AM
Ok time for my 2 cents having purchased my 08 in Jan 09 I've been dealing with this problem since the beginning. I was there when FireJoe's bike ignited, I may have been the 1st to run an extension hose from the cannister but I recognized this was not an easy fix and ran the extension hose to the rear swing arm opposite the exhaust. If you want to solve the problem completely you would have to hang an IV pole on the back of the spyder about 2 feet above the fuel tank level and hang the cannister from that. As mentioned earlier part of the problem is when the fuel tank gets overfilled these spyders can not handle the tank filled to the top the best way is put the spout all the way in and quit when it kicks off however some times we hit a pump that don't kick off properly and then we have a cannister full of raw fuel for several months causing drips and smells. As Scotty said there is some design flaws that are not a simple fix and to fix them it would take the appeal away that drew everyone to the Spyder to begin with, who wants to see mechanical parts hanging out from under the tupperware just to keep them cool or elevated. Talking about Goldwings I have owned several, and everyone of the has smoked on startup due to design of the engine it is just something you learn to live with. You also mentioned drips most people are not aware but most metric bikes have a small catch can hanging under them with all the vent lines routed into to them and they are emptied during service. My personal belief is the best thing you can do is leave the cannister in place (providing it is not melting in its location) and run the vent tube as far away from the heat (to the rear) as possible and be cautious but live with the fumes.

shelbydave
10-14-2013, 10:07 AM

I thought you were so concerned that you wouldn't ride until BRP fixed the issues???:dontknow:

Magdave
10-14-2013, 10:12 AM
I thought you were so concerned that you wouldn't ride until BRP fixed the issues???:dontknow:
Where did I say that and I had the recall done :dontknow:

shelbydave
10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Where did I say that and I had the recall done :dontknow:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?57502-Nhtsa-and-2013-Can-Am-recall-no-such-thing-is-going-on&p=683661#post683661

Magdave
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?57502-Nhtsa-and-2013-Can-Am-recall-no-such-thing-is-going-on&p=683661#post683661
And that was before the recall was done and it sat until it was done any other questions?:banghead: