PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody noticed thier Ronbar shifting to one side?

3 Wheel Addict
10-13-2013, 06:20 AM
I put one on my 13 RTS a short time ago and while cleaning the bike I noticed it has shifted to the left side to the point that the links are not straight up and down. I tapped it back to center and it has moved back again, is this normal? My factory bar had "notches" stamped in it to keep it centered.

Bob Denman
10-13-2013, 07:49 AM
This will probably be a stupid question :opps:; did you make sure that you had everything tight before buttoning the bike back up??
Sorry... I had to ask...

jcthorne
10-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Just went out in the garage and looked under. Yep, my RT dresses to the left. Its really no matter, the links are not in a bind, just offset to the left. There is nothing in the design to keep it centered but it does not interfere with anything. Many cars are the same way. I will likely replace the end links when Bajaron gets his billet aluminum ones to market. Unless mine fail before then.

DrewNJ
10-13-2013, 08:40 AM
No split collars on the bar to keep it centered like we have on the RS? Seems like if there is room it would be easy to add?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetmountainman
10-13-2013, 08:57 AM
I don't have the bar, but seeing some installation photos here, there were two split set collars that should hold the bar in place. Were those installed?

stewartj239
10-13-2013, 09:00 AM
I will likely replace the end links when Bajaron gets his billet aluminum ones to market.

I just checked my RT-S and it dead center. However, when it was installed 3500 miles ago, I also installed Ron's chromoly heim joints. I've got to believe that those would prevent far less side-to-side movement compared to the OEM composite plastic links.

ThreeWheels
10-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I'll go look now, but I recall installing collars on the bar to keep it centered.
I'll take a look and be right back
I installed the RonLinks as well, but I don't think they do anything to center the bar.

EDIT..............................
Yes, I just checked and there are two split collars, one on each side that keep the bar in place center to center.
Sounds like your installation was incomplete. Did you have the dealer do it ?

I'm attaching a picture of one of the collars. Not the easiest thing to photograph with the bike on the ground, but I hope it helps.

Chupaca
10-13-2013, 09:54 AM
:agree: if you don't have them on or if they were not tightened properly could be the reason.
77572 this is on our RS...:dontknow:

jcthorne
10-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Guys, you are barking up the wrong tree here. The 2013 RT and ST have an entirely different front suspension. There are no split collars on the 2013 installation. There is no room for them and the bar goes inside the frame. The bar floats between the two mounts. Same as the factory bar. (which was offset when I removed it).

Magdave
10-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes had the same issue when I first put it on. I also had some popping noises. I followed the instructions to a tee and called Ron. Tightened it up and the noise went away for a while and the bar moved again. Retightened and all has been good since. The bushings are delrin not plastic. I used a rubber mallet to re center. Getting the "just right" tightness without locking up the bar is the key. You can check by getting on and rocking the bike back and forth as much as possible.

3 Wheel Addict
10-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I had it centered before I tightened everything up and no the 13 don't use collars to keep it centered. My factory bar could not move side to side cause it had some "dimples" stamped in it that kept it centered. Currently I have the bar removed waiting for BRP to determine the fait of this bike.

Bob Denman
10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Have any of you thought to ask Ron about this directly? :dontknow:

Magdave
10-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Have any of you thought to ask Ron about this directly? :dontknow:
You must be getting old Bob I mentioned I talked with Ron in my post and hand held me over the phone as I checked everything out. It obviously was not tight enough but the direction parameters were met. Tight enough to still be able to move the bar by hand is a little vague and the are no torque specs. As with all things 2013 trial and error worked in the end. I kept tightening it 1/2 turn and checked after a few hundred miles until it quit moving which was twice. They aren't as self centering as they were thought to be.

Bob Denman
10-13-2013, 05:21 PM
You know what they say, Dave...
The memory is the SECOND thing to go; and I've forgotten what the first one was!! :shocked: :roflblack:

rabtech
10-13-2013, 08:17 PM
I have left the bar kinda loose and then ran it super tight. I have noticed no difference. And even if it wants to lay over to one side I dont think it will cause any issues. I do run mine super tight. I think it causes the front to have a slight pop noise when shifting my weight from floorboard to floorboard. But it is so nice when I lay it into a forest curve at 80 and the nanny never kicks in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Magdave
10-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I have left the bar kinda loose and then ran it super tight. I have noticed no difference. And even if it wants to lay over to one side I dont think it will cause any issues. I do run mine super tight. I think it causes the front to have a slight pop noise when shifting my weight from floorboard to floorboard. But it is so nice when I lay it into a forest curve at 80 and the nanny never kicks in.

That is weird because I ID'ed the pop noise as the bushing moving in the channel once tightened enough it stopped.

rabtech
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
My popping seems to be around the center of the bike. Or at least that is where I think it is.

Magdave
10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
My popping seems to be around the center of the bike. Or at least that is where I think it is.

I have noticed that too and I am thinking it is exhaust related with the springs after it cools down from a ride. I get it when I go over the curb out of my driveway.