PDA

View Full Version : Will Stock ECM Adjust to Aftermarket Exhaust and Cat Removal?

stewartj239
10-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I have a 2013 RT-S and am thinking about doing the cat removal and adding the Akrapovic silencer. Will the stock ECM adjust to both or will I need an aftermarket fuel management system such as the Power Commander V? My bike is currently not running lean and I don't want to upset that. If I leave the stock air filter in, will it adjust? I understand the ECM can adjust OK to a 20% variance. Has anyone done both of these mods to their bike? Thanks.

Bob Denman
10-12-2013, 08:38 PM
From what I have seen reported in here; changing up both of them will require a controller.
One or the other on their own: :2thumbs:

Chupaca
10-12-2013, 08:51 PM
some exhausts are ok don't think the cat will affect it. So it will depend on the pipe and many will tell you or the tech will mention it. :dontknow:

Magdave
10-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Dynojet has a Power Commander for 2013 RT's now

http://www.morepoweracing.com/powercommander/?gclid=CNXEldD2kroCFQyk4AodHzAANQ

check under Bombardier
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Default.aspx

stewartj239
10-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Dynojet has a Power Commander for 2013 RT's now

http://www.morepoweracing.com/powercommander/?gclid=CNXEldD2kroCFQyk4AodHzAANQ

check under Bombardier
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Default.aspx

Yes, if I have to go with the PCV, then the Auto Tune would probably have to be purchased as well since Dyno Jet only offers a stock map and a map for the Two Brothers exhaust - neither of which mention anything about the cat removal. That adds another $900 (retail) to the cost.

I'm hoping to find others here who have done both mods and NOT had to add the fuel management. I'm hoping the stock ECM will handle them both without leaning the bike out.

cuznjohn
10-13-2013, 09:25 AM
when i first bought a victory i had the dealer put on what victory called a stage one exhaust. i was telling the dealer the bike was not running right and he said NOOOO that's how it runs with a stage one kit. than one day i stopped by the dealer who i bought my spyder from with a friend that knew the service manager there at the time. they also sell victory's and he said they do need to be remapped. and once he did it for me the bike ran grate. now having read this is am thinking. i have the akrapovic exhaust on my spyder and i am wondering if the same things is needed.

Magdave
10-13-2013, 10:05 AM
when i first bought a victory i had the dealer put on what victory called a stage one exhaust. i was telling the dealer the bike was not running right and he said NOOOO that's how it runs with a stage one kit. than one day i stopped by the dealer who i bought my spyder from with a friend that knew the service manager there at the time. they also sell victory's and he said they do need to be remapped. and once he did it for me the bike ran grate. now having read this is am thinking. i have the akrapovic exhaust on my spyder and i am wondering if the same things is needed.

I believe the PC has a downloadable map for that exhaust setup. Could be part of your heat problem?

cuznjohn
10-13-2013, 10:12 AM
I believe the PC has a downloadable map for that exhaust setup. Could be part of your heat problem?

that's what i am thinking now, the victory exhaust came with a bar code that was programed into the computer, i have to look through my paper work and see if i have anything for this exhaust

NancysToy
10-13-2013, 10:54 AM
You can't remap the Spyder ECM, you have to use an aftermarket device.

cuznjohn
10-13-2013, 11:29 AM

i have a PM out to lamomt to see if there is a map for it

Magdave
10-13-2013, 12:20 PM

What he said :agree: PC is the only way it can be done. When you start doing engine mods it is the only solution for the Spyder on the market. Since Power Commander is Dynojet you can take it to a Dynojet dyno I believe and get it tuned.

cuznjohn
10-13-2013, 12:42 PM
What he said :agree: PC is the only way it can be done. When you start doing engine mods it is the only solution for the Spyder on the market. Since Power Commander is Dynojet you can take it to a Dynojet dyno I believe and get it tuned.

i just found the paper work from the Akrapovic exhaust that came with my bike. it has a bar code on it but does not say it is a remap code where the stage one exhaust for my victory had a bar code that was programed into the bike

crazyspyder
10-13-2013, 12:53 PM
:doorag:I have the 2012 RT SE5 , I had the dealer take off the cat and add new after market muffler. it was fine for awhile, but now- :banghead:about 2k miles later I get that stupid poppin at deceleration. SO, with both removed you will have to have a power management system of some type. two brothers are the cheapest ones out there.:ohyea:

stewartj239
10-13-2013, 01:11 PM
i have the akrapovic exhaust on my spyder and i am wondering if the same things is needed.

The Akrapovic is the recommended exhaust and the one that BRP has in their accessories catalog. No where in there do they say that the stock ECU can't handle it. In the RS section, for the Hindle racing exhaust, in their write up, it is stated: "Additional 4 HP with the stock ECU file". Therefore, based on what BRP sells, if you're running the Akrapovic or Hindle, then the stock ECU can handle it. They do not say otherwise.

stewartj239
10-13-2013, 01:14 PM
:doorag:I have the 2012 RT SE5 , I had the dealer take off the cat and add new after market muffler. it was fine for awhile, but now- :banghead:about 2k miles later I get that stupid poppin at deceleration. SO, with both removed you will have to have a power management system of some type. two brothers are the cheapest ones out there.:ohyea:

On the website that sells the cat removal, they do say that the pop on deceleration is possible when the cat removal is matched with an aftermarket exhaust. They recommend using ethanol free gas or a fuel additive. If both of those fail, then they say you should consider a power management system. My question is, is your bike running lean? If not, then I'd be willing to live with it.

Bob Denman
10-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Well; there are "pops" ;), and then there are "POPS!" :shocked:
I suppose that your own personal discomfort level will need to be assessed before making a decision. :D