PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my new 13 is going to be replaced with a 14!

3 Wheel Addict
10-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Been working with my dealer on my laundry list of complaints on my 30 day old 13 RTS, but the wife is fed-up! She will not ride on it, don't want to get stranded or have a fire. She said "do what you want but i'm not getting on it" so it looks like it's going back to be replaced with an identical one but a 14. I'm going to order a yellow but seriously considering the manual shift this time. Dealer says Jan or Feb on the manual. I know it's going to cost me some money but what are you going to do? What good is a touring bike if the other half of 2-up wont ride it.

Bob Denman
10-10-2013, 07:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear that it had to come to that... :shocked:
:agree: If the Navigator ain't happy... :yikes:

Barlock
10-10-2013, 07:59 AM
“The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” ~ John Pierpont Morgan
:agree:

flamingobabe
10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
have you been working with BRP? I feel y'alls pain.....good luck...BRP needs to make the 2013's right

boborgera
10-10-2013, 08:27 AM
have you been working with BRP? I feel y'alls pain.....good luck...BRP needs to make the 2013's right

Why should they? With winter coming on the heat complaints will disappear, Some owners will trade in their 13's for 14's, Then BRP will sell more 14's, Then with the discounted prices of the 13's BRP will get a bunch of newbies into the fold... Win-win I'll say...[for BRP]

3 Wheel Addict
10-10-2013, 08:36 AM
I do have a case number with BRP but they would never call me back. The dealer is willing to fix my other complaints, which is stuff that could happen to ANY bike... shift switch sticking, oil leak at pressure switch, parking brake wont release. That last one was what did me in! When you go to ride it to work and the D#*N parking brake wont release! I finally got it to release by trying what was posted on here, unhooking the battery. But with all the hot plastic parts, boiling fuel, hot gas cap, and a burning plastic smell my wife is scared of it. She don't even want me on it. Prolly watching videos of burning spyders on youtube didn't help. I'm going to call BRP today to see if they are going to offer any assistance towards that new model but i'm not holding my breath. I am surprised at how well the dealer is working with me even though he has not told me how much more it's going to cost me. I do however realize that it "will" cost more money but at this point I have to do something or just try to sell it and give up... :dontknow:

SpyderAnn01
10-10-2013, 11:37 AM
I do have a case number with BRP but they would never call me back. The dealer is willing to fix my other complaints, which is stuff that could happen to ANY bike... shift switch sticking, oil leak at pressure switch, parking brake wont release. That last one was what did me in! When you go to ride it to work and the D#*N parking brake wont release! I finally got it to release by trying what was posted on here, unhooking the battery. But with all the hot plastic parts, boiling fuel, hot gas cap, and a burning plastic smell my wife is scared of it. She don't even want me on it. Prolly watching videos of burning spyders on youtube didn't help. I'm going to call BRP today to see if they are going to offer any assistance towards that new model but i'm not holding my breath. I am surprised at how well the dealer is working with me even though he has not told me how much more it's going to cost me. I do however realize that it "will" cost more money but at this point I have to do something or just try to sell it and give up... :dontknow:

The price didn't go up much on the 2014s and if you are going from an SE to an SM it will be cheaper that is except for the depreciation hit. :yikes:

Chupaca
10-10-2013, 11:43 AM
I would do the same if my wife felt that way. You should come out fairly well on the deal. By Jan/Feb things should be settling down...good luck...!! :thumbup:

Jeriatric
10-10-2013, 12:51 PM
BRP needs to make the 2013's right

If BRP's "fix kit" didn't adequately address your problem.

What would making it right look like in your case?

Not stiring the hornets nest.....just asking an honest question. Cause it appears BRP has done all they are going to do.

Jer

ARtraveler
10-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem. You do have a lot of issues with your new machine. Wonder if dealer set up had anything to do with some of the issues?

If you are not comfortable with the 2013--due to its current reputation--by all means trade up if you still want to stick with the brand. The depreciation hit--might be worth it in the long run. A spouse who is unhappy to the point of refusing to ride on the machine is not a good situation.

Having to wait until Jan/Feb for the manual is a win-win for you. By then, the reports should be coming in about the 2014's and we will know if it is a winner or not.

mob133
10-10-2013, 03:08 PM
does a spyder fall into the lemon law or do they get off because due to being recreational vehicle

Big Arm
10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Each state would be different as far as the lemon law. Check in your own state.

3 Wheel Addict
10-10-2013, 04:00 PM
The price didn't go up much on the 2014s and if you are going from an SE to an SM it will be cheaper that is except for the depreciation hit. :yikes:
I hope it don't have much depreciation as it is only 30 days old today!

3 Wheel Addict
10-10-2013, 04:07 PM
If BRP's "fix kit" didn't adequately address your problem.

What would making it right look like in your case?

Not stiring the hornets nest.....just asking an honest question. Cause it appears BRP has done all they are going to do.

Jer
I think that BRP's fix is just a protection kit to cover up the parts that are getting too hot and melting. This does nothing to address the issue of the heat in the first place. I don't really know what it would take for a "proper" fix, maybe a new exhaust system better ventilation for the body panels?

cuznjohn
10-10-2013, 04:08 PM
good luck to you

Bob Ledford
10-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Been working with my dealer on my laundry list of complaints on my 30 day old 13 RTS, but the wife is fed-up! She will not ride on it, don't want to get stranded or have a fire. She said "do what you want but i'm not getting on it" so it looks like it's going back to be replaced with an identical one but a 14. I'm going to order a yellow but seriously considering the manual shift this time. Dealer says Jan or Feb on the manual. I know it's going to cost me some money but what are you going to do? What good is a touring bike if the other half of 2-up wont ride it.

Sound like you made a wise decision. If your primary riding buddy says no to it and okays the deal. Sounds like the boss has spoken you better get your dealer on tracking down that new ride. It's not fun riding without your playmate, is it?

Magdave
10-10-2013, 04:20 PM
I think that BRP's fix is just a protection kit to cover up the parts that are getting too hot and melting. This does nothing to address the issue of the heat in the first place. I don't really know what it would take for a "proper" fix, maybe a new exhaust system better ventilation for the body panels?

Ceramic coated headers would be a good start:thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I hope it don't have much depreciation as it is only 30 days old today!

Ballpark is about 25% once you drive it off the lot. 30 days old usually does not figure into the equation. I am guessing the hit on the 2013 could be a little worse, given the current situation. :mad:

jcthorne
10-10-2013, 06:35 PM
I hope it don't have much depreciation as it is only 30 days old today! You lost 20% when it went from 'new' to 'used' the day you took it home. That combined with the rebates which effected the prices for ALL 2013s, you are going to find the trade up difference somewhere in the 6 to 12 k range. Used 2013 RTs are selling in the 19k range and new 14s are 28k. 30 days or 8 months don't really matter much.

3 Wheel Addict
10-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Sound like you made a wise decision. If your primary riding buddy says no to it and okays the deal. Sounds like the boss has spoken you better get your dealer on tracking down that new ride. It's not fun riding without your playmate, is it?
No it's not! She has only been on it one time the first week we got it. She got scared when it was filling our garage with gas fumes. Although the dealer seems to have mysteriously fixed that issue the fact remains that it's getting a extremely hot gas tank. Even the gas cap is getting to 150 degrees.

3 Wheel Addict
10-10-2013, 09:24 PM
You lost 20% when it went from 'new' to 'used' the day you took it home. That combined with the rebates which effected the prices for ALL 2013s, you are going to find the trade up difference somewhere in the 6 to 12 k range. Used 2013 RTs are selling in the 19k range and new 14s are 28k. 30 days or 8 months don't really matter much.

It's a 30 day old RT-S that cost me $29000.00 and has 700 miles. I'm thinking for the dealer to keep me and the wife off "the pissed off list" i'm thinking the only loss should be the difference between the 13 RTS and the 14 RTS. I have been keeping my cool so far, with a factory that wont return calls to a new customer with serious concerns and a dealer that thinks i'm making it up. (like we all are)

Magdave
10-10-2013, 09:32 PM
It's a 30 day old RT-S that cost me $29000.00 and has 700 miles. I'm thinking for the dealer to keep me and the wife off "the pissed off list" i'm thinking the only loss should be the difference between the 13 RTS and the 14 RTS. I have been keeping my cool so far, with a factory that wont return calls to a new customer with serious concerns and a dealer that thinks i'm making it up. (like we all are)

You will be very lucky to get $25k more like $23k on a trade in. I asked about my pristine RT and it was a $5k hit with 1k miles on it 4 mo. old. The rebates are killing us they only offered $2k earlier this year on previous year new bikes. Some dealers are pushing 2013 LTD's for $5-6k off sticker new right now.

Jlbrandt
10-10-2013, 09:46 PM
If you gave 29000 30 days ago that is over list price. Also what about the 3000 rebate you should have gotten. Did the dealer pocket that?

Mike,P
10-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Let us ALL know how you get almost what you paid for it.. 700mi or 7,000 first year depreciation 25% no matter how mad you are :)

johnwinslow
10-11-2013, 02:43 AM
I have a 2011 RTS and I am very Happy, Happy, Happy, with it, that said. how can you, in all good conscience, sell a defective machine to anyone ? Do the lemon law route if you have not had luck with repairs. third, there will always be hot exhaust pipes, you know that and BRP knows that, and every hotrodder in the world knows that. That is why they did all the retrofits on the 2014's. so wrap the exhaust pipe, put a fan on the bottom of your bike to get rid of the heat, put a scoop of some sort to get more air in and more air out. if you are unable to do this work yourself, go to a car or motorcycle Friday night meet, find the guy with the dirty hands, and ask him what he would do, and if he is willing to help you out.

SpyRyd
10-11-2013, 04:24 AM
I have a 2011 RTS and I am very Happy, Happy, Happy, with it, that said. how can you, in all good conscience, sell a defective machine to anyone ? Do the lemon law route if you have not had luck with repairs. third, there will always be hot exhaust pipes, you know that and BRP knows that, and every hotrodder in the world knows that. That is why they did all the retrofits on the 2014's. so wrap the exhaust pipe, put a fan on the bottom of your bike to get rid of the heat, put a scoop of some sort to get more air in and more air out. if you are unable to do this work yourself, go to a car or motorcycle Friday night meet, find the guy with the dirty hands, and ask him what he would do, and if he is willing to help you out.

i ryde a '12 RT Ltd so I don't have a dog in this fight, but...you're kidding right? nojoke

jcthorne
10-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Sorry but if you paid $29k for an RT-S the only person that made out on the deal was the dealer pocketing $10k. 2013 RT-S SE5s sold all over the place under 23k. I bought one. Used they are no more than 19 and that is a stretch. I wish you luck but you are being naive.

jcthorne
10-11-2013, 05:46 AM
I have a 2011 RTS and I am very Happy, Happy, Happy, with it, that said. how can you, in all good conscience, sell a defective machine to anyone ? Do the lemon law route if you have not had luck with repairs. third, there will always be hot exhaust pipes, you know that and BRP knows that, and every hotrodder in the world knows that. That is why they did all the retrofits on the 2014's. so wrap the exhaust pipe, put a fan on the bottom of your bike to get rid of the heat, put a scoop of some sort to get more air in and more air out. if you are unable to do this work yourself, go to a car or motorcycle Friday night meet, find the guy with the dirty hands, and ask him what he would do, and if he is willing to help you out. Sorry but you are way off base here. If he is not happy with the bike, selling it and moving on is EXACTLY what he should do with it. Do you really think cars that are bought back on lemon law disappear? No, they are repaired and sold as used cars. Usually moved out of the area to avoid problems but must lemon law cars are a result of poor communication and poor dealer service as a result, not a car that cannot be fixed. The laws do not apply to motorcycles in many states and even if they do, the bike would be sold as used somewhere else. If the OP sells it to the dealer, it is the dealer and BRP that are responsible to fix any defects before selling the bike, not the OPs.

3 Wheel Addict
10-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Sorry but if you paid $29k for an RT-S the only person that made out on the deal was the dealer pocketing $10k. 2013 RT-S SE5s sold all over the place under 23k. I bought one. Used they are no more than 19 and that is a stretch. I wish you luck but you are being naive.
My original cost is my total out of pocket not what I paid, it includes all the taxes and fees plus the finance charges. Plus I may have rounded it up a tad....:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I actually got a decent deal on the 13. From reading all the post on this topic there is some people that "get it" and some that don't and that's fine, some will throw good money trying to reinvent the bike and that's fine to but me and the wife just want to move on. If it cost us some more money to do so and wash out hands of this bike than that's what we'll do, it just is not worth the stress and aggravation anymore. I have made poor choices before... wife wanted a "certain type" of washer and dryer, I picked another brand and bought them (without her, big mistake) got them home and setup. That washing machine must have been on caster wheels cause it would lock us out of the laundry room every time, vibrate over against the door! It cost me but they were gone the next week! That washer had a warranty but did I think they would redesign it to stop the unwanted vibration, no way... what could they do, what would they do... nothing! So they are gone. Sorry to ramble on....

Bob Denman
10-11-2013, 07:22 AM
I fully understand your decision to "move on"... :thumbup:
My normal inclination is always to try and see if something can be sorted out...
Even though my skillset is well below normal! :opps:
The Missus was getting frustrated with the error codes; that's when the suggestion came to trade in Fawkes... :yikes:
And our issues weren't really all that numerous; but keeping her happy is what it's all about...

3 Wheel Addict
10-12-2013, 07:47 AM
My dealer told me he don't want it back. I did find out some good news though Ohio does have a lemon law for motorcycles and if the problem could cause injury or death it's in affect first time. Heres how it reads... "3 unsuccessful repairs of same defect or 30 calendar days out of service or 8 total repairs or 1 unsuccessful repair likely to cause death or serious injury within shorter of 1 year or 18000 miles. Leased vehicles are covered. Consumer does not have to be original owner" looks like it might have to come to this!

cuznjohn
10-12-2013, 09:20 AM
My dealer told me he don't want it back. I did find out some good news though Ohio does have a lemon law for motorcycles and if the problem could cause injury or death it's in affect first time. Heres how it reads... "3 unsuccessful repairs of same defect or 30 calendar days out of service or 8 total repairs or 1 unsuccessful repair likely to cause death or serious injury within shorter of 1 year or 18000 miles. Leased vehicles are covered. Consumer does not have to be original owner" looks like it might have to come to this!

in new york the lemon law is 4 times with the same complaint or a total of 30 days lost. over the years i gave 2 cars back, a 88 ford bronco with bad rear main seals and a 90 jeep grand wagoneer with really bad water leaks. i am in the same position as your are, so to try and fix my problem and not lose tones of money i went this way http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59068-Vertika-Tryke-parts-price-with-shipping the guy jerry from there says it takes the heat away from your feet and sends more air to the engine compartment. so i wish you the best and hope brp steps up to bat for you. my bike goes in tuesday and i need to remember to tell them that when i pulled the bottom plates to try to relieve heat i found oil on both of them, so this may be another problem i have, the bike is becoming a real headache that i don't want

Daisyjoe
10-12-2013, 10:10 AM

My dealer will not take a trade in either.

Magdave
10-12-2013, 10:20 AM
My dealer will not take a trade in either.

:yikes:Just great. Thanks BRP for building a product that even the dealer doesn't want.:thumbup:

murphybrown
10-12-2013, 10:42 AM

I recommend talking to Len at Pitbull....can't hurt..and heck you aren't that far away from Springfield..nice winter ryde :clap:

Jeriatric
10-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Just noticed California has a stand alone impaired value clause in their lemon law. fwiw