PDA

View Full Version : Another Reason To Buy An Extended Warranty

OldCowboy
10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
As noted in a previous thread, I was at Pit Bull today watching Lamont align my :spyder2:. I saw an older RT with most of the tupperware off and the clutch disassembled. I asked the service manager what its problem was. Apparently the warranty had run out and the owner hadn't purchased an extended warranty. When he realized his clutch was slipping, he took it to an independent shop which had no BRP certified technicians. They replaced the clutch and a short while later it disintegrated. In the process of disintegrating, it did enough damage that he's now looking at a short block replacement. :yikes:

The moral to this story is 1) Always have your :f_spider: serviced by a dealer. And 2) Get an extended warranty.

Chupaca
10-09-2013, 04:28 PM
for sure..know some great mechanics who maintain many a spyder. Now if you can afford it get it..!! :thumbup:

scooterexpress
10-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I just pd 850 for 5yr transferable 0 deductible..

rabtech
10-09-2013, 06:23 PM
As noted in a previous thread, I was at Pit Bull today watching Lamont align my :spyder2:. I saw an older RT with most of the tupperware off and the clutch disassembled. I asked the service manager what its problem was. Apparently the warranty had run out and the owner hadn't purchased an extended warranty. When he realized his clutch was slipping, he took it to an independent shop which had no BRP certified technicians. They replaced the clutch and a short while later it disintegrated. In the process of disintegrating, it did enough damage that he's now looking at a short block replacement. :yikes:

The moral to this story is 1) Always have your :f_spider: serviced by a dealer. And 2) Get an extended warranty.

So your saying that all independent service people are not able to do a good job. I would say that might be a little to broad of a statement. I wouldn't let a dealer work on any of my equipment. When I work on anything it will be put back as good or better than factory new. It would have to be a catastrophic failure for me to even claim a warranty issue. Come to think of it, I have never met a more qualified tech than myself.

My view on any work that is done on any of my bikes is as follows.
I have to ride it. I ride over 100mph frequently, Mechanical failure due to working on my bikes is not an option.

Im sure there are techs that are more than qualified to do a great job. I just don't like the broadness of your post.

Magdave
10-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Or he could just find a new dealer right? :roflblack: Not all of us have access to Pitbull.

rabtech
10-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Or he could just find a new dealer right? :roflblack: Not all of us have access to Pitbull.

I love your signature pic.

mrfats
10-09-2013, 06:55 PM
I ride over 100mph frequently

:yikes: Do you do that with your Lady on the back? :yikes:

rabtech
10-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I ride over 100mph frequently

:yikes: Do you do that with your Lady on the back? :yikes:

I set the cruise on my RT on 90 on the interstate. I have no problems running that safely. It is rock solid and people pass u at 85 around here.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/10/uqymy3e7.jpg

I rode a 230hp Supercharged Rocket III 2300 for a couple of years. I could tap her on the knee and she would know that the front tire was headed off the ground. I have come onto the interstate on the back tire a few times. Im not saying it was the smartest thing I have ever done....

I also have a Ducati Diavel that has spent a few hours of its life with the traction control turned off and on its back tire.

murphybrown
10-09-2013, 07:26 PM

I have BEST...has $50 deductible....I am definitely glad I got the extended warranty. But before it runs out I will buy a new :spyder2: and the extended warranty will be a must have...but always want the best "deal" with the best coverage and ease to use....thanks.

Bob Denman
10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Question(s):
Are there different extended warranties available?
What do they cost?

Spyder4Tess
10-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Did the owner go back to the indy?I certainly would have with some questions.

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 08:11 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/10/dasata5u.jpg
Wow. That last photo says it all. No gloves, no leg protection. No upper body protection. And dangerous antics to boot. I hope no young people try to emulate these dangerous practices. I don't care what you do. I DO care what other people may attempt because of your lack of concern for safe practices.

stewartj239
10-09-2013, 08:31 PM
It bothers me to hear over and over again that people think you need to buy an extended warranty for the Spyder. The Spyder is new to my wife and I just this summer. We have spent the last 25 years on Hondas. Honda is known for quality / durability / longevity and purchasing an extended warranty would be nothing but a waste of money. Does the Spyder not have a reputation for quality? I'm asking because I don't know. You can say that an extended warranty is for peace of mind, but for a Honda it would be just flushing money down the toilet because those bikes don't break. Do I need to be concerned???

rabtech
10-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Wow. That last photo says it all. No gloves, no leg protection. No upper body protection. And dangerous antics to boot. I hope no young people try to emulate these dangerous practices. I don't care what you do. I DO care what other people may attempt because of your lack of concern for safe practices.

I am sorry that bothered you. I don't ride like that anymore. However , I support anyone that wants to. If you are a working member of society and pay for you health insurance and have your family members protected by a sh*t ton of life insurance then I say git-r-done... And I pay fully for my family health insurance. No employer help. And I have never made a claim after any bike wreck. I pay for all the repairs out of my pocket

Hopefully we wont thin the herd to much by people following my example.

Like I said , I don't ride with the tire in the air anymore. Hell I actually don't even ride on two wheels anymore. I gave up the dangerous stuff. But I do ride quite fast. And I hope I can keep the quick reaction time a little longer so I can keep up on the interstate with the faster drivers....

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 08:48 PM
I am sorry that bothered you. I don't ride like that anymore. However , I support anyone that wants to. If you are a working member of society and pay for you health insurance and have your family members protected by a sh*t ton of life insurance then I say git-r-done...

Hopefully we wont thin the herd to much by people following my example.
What about kids that think they have to copy this kind of stuff to prove they are tough? Responsibility does not stop with an individual alone. Responsibility acretes to all who are influenced.

rabtech
10-09-2013, 08:58 PM
What about kids that think they have to copy this kind of stuff to prove they are tough? Responsibility does not stop with an individual alone. Responsibility acretes to all who are influenced.

Doesn't this fall under good parenting somewhere...

I was always scared to death to do something like this when I was under my parents roof. Once i paid for my stuff and was on my own I played a little harder.

I deleted the picture. Now if you delete the one you quoted no one will be offended or influenced. Cant we all just be happy. :pray:

SpyderAnn01
10-09-2013, 09:06 PM
It bothers me to hear over and over again that people think you need to buy an extended warranty for the Spyder. The Spyder is new to my wife and I just this summer. We have spent the last 25 years on Hondas. Honda is known for quality / durability / longevity and purchasing an extended warranty would be nothing but a waste of money. Does the Spyder not have a reputation for quality? I'm asking because I don't know. You can say that an extended warranty is for peace of mind, but for a Honda it would be just flushing money down the toilet because those bikes don't break. Do I need to be concerned???

My husband has a Honda ST1300 and as part of a larger deal he got an extended warranty - definitely water down the toilet. As part of that same deal I got the BEST warranty on my 2013 RT and it more than paid for itself. I had a couple of expensive repairs done under the extended coverage and then I had the stator go out. Don't know how much that cost to repair because I traded it in on the 2013 but I do know that having two years left on warranty probably got me a few more $ on my trade than I would have gotten without a warranty.

I had not bought one on the 2013 but I would have before the original warranty expired.

SpyderAnn01
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM

I have BEST...has $50 deductible....I am definitely glad I got the extended warranty. But before it runs out I will buy a new :spyder2: and the extended warranty will be a must have...but always want the best "deal" with the best coverage and ease to use....thanks.

Murphy, I would think that for the kind of riding that you do the BEST would be best for you. You know for a fact that it can be used at all dealers all over the country. The other warranties available may be cheaper but may not be accepted at all dealers. Wouldn't you hate to be thousands of miles from home only to find out that a dealer won't accept your coverage? If I typically rode within a few hundred miles of my home dealership I would probably consider a cheaper plan with no deductible but since that is not how I ride I will be purchasing the BEST when the original warranty expires on my 2014.

OldCowboy
10-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Spyders are a bit more complex than other motorcycles. Bob Denman recently had the throttle body go out on his RT and no extended warranty. The potential repair cost was above $1000. Other folks have had some pretty expensive parts break on their :spyder2:. I guess it's all about your loss tolerance. I'm retired and on a fixed income. I was able to afford an extended warranty. I'm not sure I could spring for a $1500-$???? repair bill. Any good actuarial will tell you that companies make money off of extended warranties. For ever owner who suffers a $2000 repair bill, there are 10 more who don't. So when it comes to extended warranties I guess the question you have to ask is, "Do I feel lucky."

OldCowboy
10-09-2013, 09:37 PM
So your saying that all independent service people are not able to do a good job. I would say that might be a little to broad of a statement. I wouldn't let a dealer work on any of my equipment. When I work on anything it will be put back as good or better than factory new. It would have to be a catastrophic failure for me to even claim a warranty issue. Come to think of it, I have never met a more qualified tech than myself.

I have to ride it. I ride over 100mph frequently, Mechanical failure due to working on my bikes is not an option.

Im sure there are techs that are more than qualified to do a great job. I just don't like the broadness of your post.

Sorry if I upset you. The point I was trying to make is if someone who is not recognized by BRP works on your :spyder2: you shouldn't expect BRP to cover any resulting problems under warranty.

rabtech
10-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Sorry if I upset you. The point I was trying to make is if someone who is not recognized by BRP works on your :spyder2: you shouldn't expect BRP to cover any resulting problems under warranty.

Not upset. Just didn't want to discourage anyone (even under warranty) to skip over a good independent for standard servicing. BRP would have to prove the clutch caused the engine problem before denying a claim is what I am saying. There are some good shops out there....

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Doesn't this fall under good parenting somewhere...

I was always scared to death to do something like this when I was under my parents roof. Once i paid for my stuff and was on my own I played a little harder.

I deleted the picture. Now if you delete the one you quoted no one will be offended or influenced. Cant we all just be happy. :pray:
Parenting....the question must be asked: Do adults' actions affect other people? That is, do kids ever look up to another adult and emulate behavior, and are those people not responsible for the example they set for less mature individuals?

missouriboy
10-09-2013, 10:13 PM
It bothers me to hear over and over again that people think you need to buy an extended warranty for the Spyder. The Spyder is new to my wife and I just this summer. We have spent the last 25 years on Hondas. Honda is known for quality / durability / longevity and purchasing an extended warranty would be nothing but a waste of money. Does the Spyder not have a reputation for quality? I'm asking because I don't know. You can say that an extended warranty is for peace of mind, but for a Honda it would be just flushing money down the toilet because those bikes don't break. Do I need to be concerned???You've had some good replies to this, but I want to add another slant: no good solution was ever found by comparing apples to oranges.

Honda=apple. Spyder=orange.

If I ever felt I was wasting my money buying warranties for GM or Ford vehicles, I wouldn't let that guide my decision on buying a warranty for a Yugo! :roflblack:

Not that a Spyder is anything like a Yugo, but still, apples be apples, not be oranges. :lecturef_smilie:

Flanker
10-09-2013, 11:00 PM

Im sure there are techs that are more than qualified to do a great job. I just don't like the broadness of your post. Well said.................not too sure about the part about me being better qualified than trained techs though!

Bob Denman
10-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Parenting....the question must be asked: Do adults' actions affect other people? That is, do kids ever look up to another adult and emulate behavior, and are those people not responsible for the example they set for less mature individuals?
Dan,
We already get that you're the self-appointed Safetycrat in here...:thumbup:

But please put it in another thread; this one's taken! :D

stewartj239
10-10-2013, 08:10 PM
You've had some good replies to this, but I want to add another slant: no good solution was ever found by comparing apples to oranges.

Honda=apple. Spyder=orange.

If I ever felt I was wasting my money buying warranties for GM or Ford vehicles, I wouldn't let that guide my decision on buying a warranty for a Yugo! :roflblack:

Not that a Spyder is anything like a Yugo, but still, apples be apples, not be oranges. :lecturef_smilie:

Good analogy. I guess that owning Hondas my entire life has spoiled me :)

So far I have had no issues with the Spyder and I have some time before the warranty expires, so I will have to gauge things. Buying an extended warranty would be new territory for me, but I will if it seems I need to. My wife likes the Spyder too much to get rid of it. She will NOT go back to 2 wheels :)

billrob71
10-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I like an enjoy working on my spyder extended warranty is good piece of mind the example listed about the clutch, I don't think a clutch would be a covered item anyway, clutchs like brakes I would think be considered a wear item. I do plan on getting one later for mine .

johnwinslow
10-11-2013, 02:53 AM
I have BEST...has $50 deductible....I am definitely glad I got the extended warranty. But before it runs out I will buy a new :spyder2: and the extended warranty will be a must have...but always want the best "deal" with the best coverage and ease to use....thanks. I like your style

Flanker
10-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Dan,

But please put it in another thread; this one's taken! :D Thank you! I was starting to feel like I was in church :pray: .......................and I knew I couldn't be because I hadn't burst into flames yet! ;)

ulflyer
10-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Don't believe clutches are covered under extended warranty.

Captain Fin
10-11-2013, 03:06 PM
The Spyder is a well engineered machine and will give many years and miles of dependable service. It does require proper service. There are those people that will not keep their Spyder properly serviced and those that may ride their Spyders outside the range that would be considered normal. Its your decision based on your riding habits and keeping the Spyder properly maintained as to your need for additional insurance. I think the risk factor is low for me, so I will not buy the insurance to extend the warranty period. Also I have the money to repair or replace the Spyder if the need arises. Its called self insurance.

cuznjohn
10-11-2013, 03:34 PM
the main reason i bought the extended warranty on this bike is the problems i am having now so who knows what the future brings, but another reason is when i had my BMW i was at the shop one day picking up a part and a guy was there paying his bill for some motor work that was out of warranty. his bill was almost 4 thousand dollars. i almost died and he just pulled out a credit card and paid it.

Dan_Ashley
10-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Dan,

But please put it in another thread; this one's taken! :D
Last post.

ThreeWheels
10-12-2013, 02:57 AM
Don't believe clutches are covered under extended warranty.

EXACTLY !!!